• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Game Not Running

GooBLima

Hey guys, so I've been having trouble playing the game as the graphics would become very bad, and start glitching. the game would choke real bad and id be obligated to restart it. Then I figured that I had (for some new and odd reason) to now lower the graphic settings. Which I did, I lowered them to the point where it was damm near impossible to play the game. So I downloaded a driver update, which fixed it, and now all of a sudden I can't even start up the game and it already chokes up. I doubt it is my graphics card, I have already uninstalled and re-installed the game, downloaded windows 11 alongside the GPU driver that goes with it, ran the game as administrator, and nothing has worked. If anyone could lmk a way to fix this issue that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My devices: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, and a 10th gen i7

Frag Maniac

Do you have a copy of W10 you can try it on? Works fine for me on W10, and I've read more than one testimonial saying performance is no better with RE Village on W11. I have also seen one report of severe frame drops on W11 when the Dimtrescu daughters appear using a modern high end GPU running 4K.

My point is I think it's too soon to jump on W11 if you want bug free, consistent performance.

That said, even on W10 I was getting mouse aim hitching and general micro stutter a lot of places, until I disabled Vsync.

Ikawaru

I have also seen one report of severe frame drops on W11 when the Dimtrescu daughters appear using a modern high end GPU running 4K.

This was a problem well before Win11 was released, and it is purely a coding failure on Capcom's fault and not an OS problem. I have win11 and have no problems whatsoever, my games and my security software and VPN run great.

SpaceOwlHoot

The framerate drops was due to their DRM/anti-cheat implementation they had, right? I thought I read somewhere that they have it removed.

Ikawaru

The framerate drops was due to their DRM/anti-cheat implementation they had, right?

I have not heard this but if it's true than that is a pretty nasty dirt move on Capcom's part, considering the vast majority of their sales are on consoles anyway :cautious:

Frag Maniac

I have not heard this but if it's true than that is a pretty nasty dirt move on Capcom's part, considering the vast majority of their sales are on consoles anyway :cautious:

Well, not that I like them, but it's understandable why devs use DRMs of one kind or another on PC titles, because obviously PC titles if unprotected are FAR easier to pirate than console titles. Also, while one can indeed say the majority of the profits come from console game sales, the PC titles always take far more testing and developing time just due to the myriad of system configs, the graphical tech they're capable of, and the many graphical features and settings PC players expect. If it becomes a thing where they leave PC titles unprotected due to no DRM developers being capable of making their product run without performance problems, then they have to start wondering if a PC version of the game even makes sense.

Back on topic though, OP, your description of your graphics/performance problems was a bit vague regarding the "glitching" and "choke" comments, but I'm not surprised a driver update improved that problem. I've never had such problems with the game though, or it not being able to launch. but I suspect something else is still awry on your end.

Another game that's gotten a lot of negative comments on graphical quality and performance is Halo Infinite. And while I DID at first think the performance was less than I thought it would be, checking out Digital Foundry's detailed optimized graphics settings guide helped me greatly. In fact I'm now running it with higher settings than I thought I'd be able to, and at 1440p DSR as well, instead of 1080p, which I thought I'd have to use. I HAVE however had a problem with flickering when first applying their settings, as well as flicker and stutter in the end game after I finished the story, but I think I have it figured out now.

Last night I tried dropping mouse polling rate from 1000 to 500, because I discovered the game only flickered when I moved or looked around. I also discovered the black screen I was getting in some cutscenes went away as soon as I moved the mouse. When I quit game and rebooted, the flicker was gone. As for the stutter, not sure but I suspect it may have been due to Windows Defender, as right afterward I saw that it notified me it scanned 5 times and found something it thought it needed to quarantine, which was really just a free version of DesktopReminder2.

Windows Defender lately is causing havoc on W10, don't know if it is on W11, but it's worth investigating. It's been stopping things like my Logitech Gaming Software GUI for my mouse, and DesktopReminder2 from launching as startups. My point is, PC games, and PCs in general, often take some investigation and experimentation to troubleshoot. I still feel that and the cost of them are the main reasons there are FAR more console gamers than PC gamers.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Poor $5.09b Capcom, 10% of their PC players (which probably translates to 1% of their overall players) may have a pirated copy of RE8, and the little extra work they have to do to code PC software, almost shed a tear.

Frag Maniac

Poor $5.09b Capcom, 10% of their PC players (which probably translates to 1% of their overall players) may have a pirated copy of RE8, and the little extra work they have to do to code PC software, almost shed a tear.
Sorry, but as much as I've hated some of the things CAPCOM has done, I can't agree with you here. I feel you're belittling the work it takes to not just properly port a PC title, but also do the tons of testing and tweaking it takes to make it work on multiple systems, with the added features and settings PC players demand.

Even the great John Carmack, in the end of his development days, saw that some of his flaws were slowing the team down, one of the main ones being his not communicating well enough with his team. ANY PC game development, port or not, is no small task. It's why ports relegated to 3rd party teams, and even in-house projects by seasoned devs like CDPR, can launch in very poor condition.

PC gamers often wear their hearts on their sleeves, being quick to blame, and it usually happens most with titles that some claim run great, while others claim run horrible. The fact is, there is no such thing as a perfectly made PC game regarding being technically flawless, and there never will be.

Ikawaru

Wasn't the Cyberpunk fiasco more to do with studio infighting and disagreements between the executives and the workers rather than programming issues?

Frag Maniac

Wasn't the Cyberpunk fiasco more to do with studio infighting and disagreements between the executives and the workers rather than programming issues?
How's that any different from the aforementioned communication issues that plagued RAGE, despite a whopping 6 year development time? That was also with Megatextures, a concept developed by Carmack for Bethesda to SPEED up production.

The fact is, you can't take any one facet of game development for granted, it all plays into the quality of the end product. I'll tell you one thing though, the non programming flaws sure as heck can and do make even the best of dev teams look bad at programming sometimes.

I stopped playing Cyberpunk 2077 even after waiting a few months in hopes for decent patching, because of things like V standing up on his motorcycle in the middle of the downtown area, while suddenly appearing naked waste down, with his arms outstretched.

EVERY part of game development is important, especially the testing, which is obviously inadequate in a lot of games these days. It's easy for us whom don't have programming skills to sit back after seeing these flaws and cry foul, but a lot of the complexity of some programming details are taken for granted.

You know that scene in Dead Space 1, where the giant tentacle grabs Isaac, and drags him down a hallway? That one 40 second scene delayed production a month, because it was so hard to make. There's a great video interview of Dead Space creator/director Glen Schofield talking about that and other issues.

This is a prime example of what I mean by the importance of non programming work.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

How's that any different from the aforementioned communication issues that plagued RAGE, despite a whopping 6 year development time? That was also with Megatextures, a concept developed by Carmack for Bethesda to SPEED up production.

RAGE wasn't nearly as messy as Cyberpunk 2077 at launch iirc. I've never played Cyberpunk 2077 and probably never will (I was, in fact, surprised at just how hyped out of proportion that game was prior to launch) but the biggest technical issues were on last gen consoles and not on PC. and I will give CD Projekt Red credit where its due, they are not nearly as anal as Capcom when it comes to DRM's and have a trust system where they rely on consumers to ultimately do the right thing, even if there are inevitably a few bad apples.

That was how I perceived CD Projekt Red before Cyberpunk anyway, they had a good reputation, but now I don't know if they are even worth the time of day anymore, the mighty seem to be falling a lot lately...

As for Dead Space, I played it for one minute before I switched it off. Why? Because any game with a feature that puts a line on the ground telling you where to go next turns me off something fierce.

Last edited:

Frag Maniac

As for Dead Space, I played it for one minute before I switched it off. Why? Because any game with a feature that puts a line on the ground telling you where to go next turns me off something fierce.
Oh, and it's CAPCOM that's anal? Well, you missed a great game due to that gripe. At any rate, not sure if you know or care, but EA are having their Motive team remake original Dead Space, so maybe you'll get lucky and it won't have that nav feature, which is optional btw. You don't really HAVE to use it, in fact some feel exploring to find your way is a better survival horror experience. I doubt they'll omit that though, you are literally the only person I've ever seen complain about it.

Ikawaru

Oh I don't know, being anal about a bad design decision as a consumer and a nobody seems to be less offensive than a multibillion dollar company still hammering DRM's that destroy performance in PC games in an attempt to make sure every crumb of the pie is accounted for, but maybe that's just me.

Oh, and I'm not sure you know or care, but China is still growing in wealth and power steadily, so maybe you'll get lucky and have a government that's anal about everything towering above making sure everyone plays nice :)

Frag Maniac

Oh I don't know, being anal about a bad design decision as a consumer and a nobody seems to be less offensive than a multibillion dollar company still hammering DRM's that destroy performance in PC games in an attempt to make sure every crumb of the pie is accounted for, but maybe that's just me.

Oh, and I'm not sure you know or care, but China is still growing in wealth and power steadily, so maybe you'll get lucky and have a government that's anal about everything towering above making sure everyone plays nice :)
Jeez dude, chill out, sounding a bit harsh now. Honestly though, regarding DRM, most every publisher out there that expects decent sales is using Denuvo, so yeah, a bit anal to act like CAPCOM is somehow guilty of foul play there. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom