• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fixing movies

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
This is basically an idea I stole off of a subreddit and other forums where you can jot off ideas to fix flawed movies. There's always that one film that you didn't like or thought "I liked it, but it wasn't good/could've been better" and want to share YOUR vision for. Well, here's your thread to list those ideas to make it better.

My movie of choice is World War Z. The changes I would make are as follows:

-Actually follow the book. Give interviews of each person's individual struggles against the zombies with all the memorable battles in said book (or as much of it as you can possibly fit in a 2-2.5 hour film). The original script did a tremendous job following the source material, and yet it was scrapped in favor of a generic action zombie movie with Brad Pitt.

When the author of the book it cons people into believing it's an adaptation of publicly goes on record and says it only keeps the title and nothing else, you have a problem, especially with a book so beloved.

-No superhuman protagonist who miraculously survives every imaginable doomsday scenario thrown at him. Seriously, surviving a plane crash, surviving a serious car crash without so much as needing medical attention (because then the zombie horde would obvs get him, and we can't have that), surviving a stick through his lungs, zombies slowing down as soon as they're about to get him, conveniently catching a plane ride when he's about to get devoured, miraculously finding a cure when zombies are about to get him, having random civilians save him when he's about to get eaten, Jesus, how many miracles does this guy need to get his family home in one piece?

-No plot holes for the sake of continuance (yes, I realize I just named a bunch of them above). Seriously, they couldn't make Brad Pitt travel somewhere close by and less populated to get his daughter medicine knowing there's ZOMBIES on the loose? Then again, we don't have a movie if he doesn't travel 90 minutes to NEWARK, of all places in the middle of an outbreak (what could possibly go wrong?), again with dumbing down the script to move the plot forward.

-Zombies should actually move slow (just like in the book). It's much more suspenseful and foreboding when your human protagonist has a slow burn encounter against hordes of zombies with the constant lingering threat of death hanging over him/her around every corner.

And above all:

-No annoying shaky cams/quick cuts so we can actually tell WTF is happening. FFS, it's a zombie movie! You show the carnage in full detail, that's the whole charm of these movies. And people should actually bleed when bitten or getting their arm lobbed off (or so I think, you can't really tell when they don't show it or the blood spill that should follow, at least in the theatrical cut), just sayin'.

As a fan of zombies, slasher flicks and pretty much any and all things horror, WWZ was a let down, and not JUST because it was so obviously neutered to appease the studio heads (PG-13 zombie movie, WTF? Any respectable zombie movie should always, always be R), though it certainly didn't help (see above), the YMS (YourMovieSucks.org) video on the movie was spot on (it covers more of the glaring plot holes I talked extensively about):

Top Bottom