• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Fixed Camera and FPS

Fixed Camera Angles and tank controls? FPS?

• No....just no. FPS is where its at.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe the angles but no tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Whoever gets the helm to our beloved series I was just curious who likes the original game mechanics. I for one love every aspect of the setup in the first three games. Even the horrible tank controls...it gave a definite learning curve. I think the tank can be still implemented with slight modification to aiming and melee/dodge with fixed camera angles to instill the uncertainty of the next beat of the game. With poly graphics you can see everything and get a general idea of your next move and what to do, with fixed cameras I like the idea that there is someone creepily looking at our every move and not knowing what is next is part of the thrill. Especially if you hear something in the same room.

I think it might be interesting if it is set in present day or the future having the cameras be our guide with no hud (or if you choose having the camera determine our specs like the advanced ones in the movie) just like the old days bring up the menu for how much ammo you have and slots left.

Whats your opinion

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Man, I didn't vote, because I could go either way. I really do love the Over the Shoulder look of RE4 and RE5, but the nostalgia AND the scare factor that comes/came along with the fixed camera angles were nothing short of perfection...I think it could DEFINITELY add to the scare factor, and is a GREAT idea for us old school RE fans...However, I think it may possibly be business suicide if they did it and it was NOT well received. That said, look at the game Slender. It's first person, and among the scariest games ever made...So I think it's still TOTALLY possible to be frightening without having fixed camera angles.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but in RE6, there were SEVERAL parts were your camera angles were fixed. I really liked that. The game didn't REVOLVE around it, but when it did happen, it really added something special. So maybe it's a case of "All things in moderation."

I could see going both ways and I wouldn't be too opposed to that. I would however prefer more fixed camera versus the other only because I feel more in the resident evil bubble that way considering I played the first three first. A lot.

Also considering Capcom is already suicidal financially and resident evil having such a broad following. I think mixing the two or have the option to go between first person and fixed would be monetarily sound.

I would like the option to be able to switch mid game now that you mention it. Following that method though I would hope that they would build game around fixed angles so that the fluidity of first person could follow. The reason being is if you have to choose fixed or fps at the beginning the game mechanics are set in place and makes it easier for the devs to manage. If you are able to switch mid game though, I would prefer tank for fixed and regular fps mechanics for the other.

Having the option I think is crucial. That would be innovative I think giving each player the option to play the game visually however they would want. Building from a fixed perspective still allows the fps to be playable just by a button trigger.

Also having no hud is another thing that needs to be implemented its nice to know how many bullets you have on screen but its equally enjoyable not knowing giving the player the entire screen to be immersed into. Again options are the key here.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I agree. I do not want Resident Evil (the main series) to go first-person-shooter on us.

Although, I'd be interested in seeing an FPS remake of Resident Evil Survivor for the PlayStation. The US version with absolutely no GunCon support would make a much better FPS than an on-rails light gun shooter with no rails, linearity or light gun support.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Well would like to have the option to choose between fixed camera and over the shoulder. if you choose the over the shoulder you can switch between aiming in Third person or First person.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I personally think Resident Evil should keep the over-the-shoulder perspective than going back to fixed camera angles. I barely ever like fixed camera angles in games because in a lot of my experiences with games with fixed camera angles I've always had a problem with either the controls, the environment, and the gameplay. The controls was always the naggiest woman in the room because I always have this thought process with games with fixed camera angles that "I need to move in coordination of the camera", not "I need to move in coordination of the character". It is tough to describe it without a visual representation. As for the environment, everytime I play a game that has fixed camera angles there is always something in the environment that I will have a hard time telling what it is and rather or not I can interact with it, either due to my poor eyesight or because the camera is in such a position that the thing I'm looking at is not what it seems to be in my eyes and sometimes due to the placement of the thing I'm looking at. And then there is the gameplay, if the fixed camera angles makes it too much of a pain to deal with then my level of enjoyment from the gameplay side is going to decrease and if it is just really bad then it'll decrease to the point where I'll turn it off and add the game on my s**t list.

I think the best route in terms of newer Resident Evil's and adding in both camera angles is to either A) go one camera route and add in the 2nd camera as an unlockable or B) make it a pre-game option and put in either the options menus, before the game starts and ask you "Which camera do you want?", or as part of a difficulty option like in Classic difficulty that makes the cameras fixed and takes away your HUD completely, either way you'll get the best of both worlds. They should not however put fixed camera angles in stupid places and absolutely waste it, like what they did for the Lost in Nightmares DLC for RE5 by making it an easter egg and then immediately taking it away once you're out of the mansion section which was the least, and for lack of a better term, "scary" place in that entire DLC (I would say it would benefit the most in the sewer section of that DLC, but that's not saying much, at least for me.).

As for a FPS Resident Evil, I would say "Yes, please" and "Thank you" if they decide to keep making Resident Evil games with movement in 3rd person and shooting in 1st person like with what they did for Dead Aim and Revelations on the 3DS, or go the Fatal Frame/Project Zero/Zero route (And possibly DreadOut, I don't know I have not played it yet) where you have to keep a steady aim, patience, and good timing in order to be the most effective and each major enemy has a different attack that you can exploit for a critical attack and each major enemy are fought differently (Would that work for a Resident Evil? I don't know. RE has guns while Fatal Frame has cameras, and RE deals with biohazards and creatures while Fatal Frame deals with the supernatural and ghosts.). Now a full fledge FPS, maybe, I'm sketchy of a full fledged one because of the survivor games.

Last edited:

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
I personally think Resident Evil should keep the over-the-shoulder perspective than going back to fixed camera angles. I barely ever like fixed camera angles in games because in a lot of my experiences with games with fixed camera angles I've always had a problem with either the controls, the environment, and the gameplay. The controls was always the naggiest woman in the room because I always have this thought process with games with fixed camera angles that "I need to move in coordination of the camera", not "I need to move in coordination of the character". It is tough to describe it without a visual representation. As for the environment, everytime I play a game that has fixed camera angles there is always something in the environment that I will have a hard time telling what it is and rather or not I can interact with it, either due to my poor eyesight or because the camera is in such a position that the thing I'm looking at is not what it seems to be in my eyes and sometimes due to the placement of the thing I'm looking at. And then there is the gameplay, if the fixed camera angles makes it too much of a pain to deal with then my level of enjoyment from the gameplay side is going to decrease and if it is just really bad then it'll decrease to the point where I'll turn it off and add the game on my s**t list.

I think the best route in terms of newer Resident Evil's and adding in both camera angles is to either A) go one camera route and add in the 2nd camera as an unlockable or B) make it a pre-game option and put in either the options menus, before the game starts and ask you "Which camera do you want?", or as part of a difficulty option like in Classic difficulty that makes the cameras fixed and takes away your HUD completely, either way you'll get the best of both worlds. They should not however put fixed camera angles in stupid places and absolutely waste it, like what they did for the Lost in Nightmares DLC for RE5 by making it an easter egg and then immediately taking it away once you're out of the mansion section which was the least, and for lack of a better term, "scary" place in that entire DLC (I would say it would benefit the most in the sewer section of that DLC, but that's not saying much, at least for me.).

As for a FPS Resident Evil, I would say "Yes, please" and "Thank you" if they decide to keep making Resident Evil games with movement in 3rd person and shooting in 1st person like with what they did for Dead Aim and Revelations on the 3DS, or go the Fatal Frame/Project Zero/Zero route (And possibly DreadOut, I don't know I have not played it yet) where you have to keep a steady aim, patience, and good timing in order to be the most effective and each major enemy has a different attack that you can exploit for a critical attack and each major enemy are fought differently (Would that work for a Resident Evil? I don't know. RE has guns while Fatal Frame has cameras, and RE deals with biohazards and creatures while Fatal Frame deals with the supernatural and ghosts.). Now a full fledge FPS, maybe, I'm sketchy of a full fledged one because of the survivor games.

I agree I think the consensus is options. Build the game around fixed angled then give the player the option to go third person/first person. I would hope to be able to change views in-game giving the game a sort of innovative dynamic. Limiting yourself to one or the other is safe and unoriginal. Not to say they wouldn't be killer games, just we've experienced both quite enough.

Lost in Nightmares was built around TPS perspective and mechanics then they just added the ability to change to fixed angles. Which obviously didn't work as it confused the player immensely. I think going cameras/no hud would be the ultimate throwback but only if its not thrown in to please and they actually thought about placement.

I can sympathize with your qualms about tank controls. We've all had our moments with running out of room backwards, spinning around then lying on floor in the fetal position giving in to the 90's. If the games were based off of the later generation the control scheme would never work. Theres just too many enemies and too many ways you can die for tank controls to work efficiently. The only way a new tank game would work is if you dial down the amount of enemies and make weapons and ammo scarce again. Which would sequentially lay out the mold for the atmosphere. So i'm all for a new game that has very few but a wide spectrum of enemies.

I've honestly just played the first three so much I've become accustomed to the way the game feels.

Top Bottom