• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Do you feel for Salvatore Moreau?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
This is something that has kept me intrigued since I played the game. But after the game rose in popularity, I noticed a population of people (mostly on Twitter) that felt really bad for Moreau. Like REALLY bad for him. I thought his character was effective in being pathetic and lost, but I am not sure I personally felt super sympathetic for him. Of course, I do feel terrible every time I run through his section and he utters out... “Ill do better next him, Momma“ or whatever he says.

So, the question is... Did YOU feel sympathy for him while he moans out for vindication or were you so repulsed that it just breezed by you? I guess I am somewhere in between.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
This is a good question.

Part of me thinks, This (what used to be) person clearly doesn't have the facilities to really grasp everything that is happening - he wants desperately to be accepted and validated by those around him and instead is the recipient of endless, well, bullying. I can see how that would seem weird though, seeing how he's taking part in this ritual with a stolen child and whatnot, but I feel like Moreau just really wants to please everyone and prove he is worth something. It really is a tragic story when you think about it. I am in some Twitch communities that feel bad for him and think that he would've made a cool sort of underdog hero if he had intervened in the ritual at the end of the game to help save Ethan and Rose after being mistreated so often by Miranda and the others. I would've been ok with this haha.

I don't really feel a deep sorrow for Moreau, but I also don't like the idea of people being taken advantage of due to physical or mental shortcomings. I think of all the villains in this story, I feel the least animosity towards him because he does have that aura of tragedy - I'm not entirely sure he understands the magnitude of what is happening in the story and is simply driven to please which is a really miserable existence, especially if he is the laughing stock of his peers.

So, in short, I guess I do feel bad for Moreau to an extent. Its a really weird dichotomy to think about.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Nope. I'm not saying I can't feel things for fictional characters but...I didn't feel anything for any of the villains in this one. Kinda just interestingly designed bullet fodder that occasionally made me laugh.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah, I mean, of course I felt bad when he is begging for acceptance while he is in big eater fish mode, but at the same time, it felt almost inevitable to destroy him. I did not really focus on it too much until people started launching in to it on Twitter. There are already dozens of home made Moreau plushies which I find gross and adorable. It is good to see both sides.

My biggest complaint about Moreau is that he had too similar of a final design as Lady Dimitrescu. The battles are not SUPER similar, but they are close enough that it feels like almost a wasted opportunity. Luckily, there are so many other great bosses, mini-bosses, and secret bosses to face that it just feels like a narrative choice.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Can’t say I felt bad for him though it’s understandable how some may empathize with him and his pity party he was throwing.

I started cracking up though when he said “I’m the best” like Waluigi.

Come to think of it though, there was a moment where I almost pitied Lady D when she was having a moment over the phone with Miranda. It never really occurred to me that the leaders of each house were also merely victims to Mother Miranda’s ways until playing through the factory and beating Heisenberg. It made me think how it would have been interesting to see Heisenberg “help” Ethan. Not necessarily a full on team up but more like “the enemy of my enemy”.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
IM THE BEST did make me laugh when it first happened. After playing through the game 5.5 times, it never lost its charm. haha.

I guess if you dive in. all four of the lords have some sympathetic quality to them... especially Donna who was kind of a lost soul to begin with. I would sympathize least with Heisenberg because he is just a dick. Fun character and very different for an RE game, but I was glad to see him go in comparison to the rest.

Hardware

...Moreau's reservoir in general was a big disappointment for me: short, with no unique enemies (each section has a different breed of foes...save for this one - would it have been too difficult to put in some fish-men?). The character himself is supposed to be pathetic but, quite frankly, I don't know wether they want me to feel bad for him or just laugh at him. He's like a caricature of some nerdy teenager who gets bullied a lot and likes to gross people out by farting a lot ("I've been saving this one!").

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah - his section is tense for a little bit ESPECIALLY trying to figure out the timing of the lifts in the water the first time around. But it is rather short and having some more unique enemies would have been great. They could even have added some more lycans in to add to the fear factor, but it was a lot of rush through. I do appreciate that Village has very different sections for all 4 lords, but having Donnas section followed by Moreaus feels a little underthought since both have a lot more evading and puzzle solving rather than combat.

Hardware

Ark2000

Damn, it seems like more and more info about cut content of this game keeps showing up everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if in time we end up finding out as much about it as we did about early versions and cut content of RE 4 and 5. I remember hearing about some of these cut parts couple years ago when the rumors about it started. I think this was also from when "Old Hag" was another enemy who would chase Ethan around the village.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Mermonsters would make sense in this game if you look at the development of the actual monsters. Miranda initially tried to develop the perfect vessel to bring her daughter back and the Cadou (aside from the special Lords) developed the zombie creatures without any addition, developed lycans when it was give wolf blood (land), developed the flying monsters when given most likely crow blood (air), so you would assume they would attempt some kind of sea blood too.

Additionally, since Elena was dropped from the game so quickly and I thought I was making an ally, I really think some bonus content with her would be great. I do not see how she could survive the fire, but if it is at all possible, I would love to see her make it out somehow.

PinkHerb

Healing Item
how cool it would be to have fish people? the possibilities!

Oh, i kinda figured as much that Elena was supposed to have a bigger role. Would they have DLC for that? IDK, but we can all hope.

Frag Maniac

The way I look at it, anyone who's that enamored with gaining respect of a woman whom thinks nothing of stealing someone's baby to make her own, no matter how rejected and sad he seems, is better off put out of his misery, and I'm happy to oblige him with that. None more so than when he does his Godzilla walk in the drained swamp, and seems invulnerable in that state to my mines.

But I digress, I challenge you all, in the name of equality and bully fighting, to think of something you actually LOVE about Moreau. After just watching another clip of the boss fight against him, for me it would have to be that awesome sound he makes after his "I've been saving this one" bit, where he spews toxic rain in the whole battle area. It's sort of a clicking/buzzing reverberation, that is just so well done.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

No way, screw that loser. I felt bad for Donna though and being killed off w/o developing her character in any meaningful way, I mean we get one glimpse of her with Angie and then BOOMPH dead.

hoiZrR9.jpg

Such beauty deserved at least half a game, not a tiny dust fragment. :mad:

Frag Maniac

Honestly, the only creatures in the game that I kill which I sometimes feel sorry for, are the crows. I never see them attacking me, or even raiding any corn fields, yet I think nothing of shooting as many as I can for small sacks of coin.

I'm a monster I tell you, a MONSTER! :cry:

SpaceOwlHoot

Honestly, the only creatures in the game that I kill which I sometimes feel sorry for, are the crows. I never see them attacking me, or even raiding any corn fields, yet I think nothing of shooting as many as I can for small sacks of coin.

I'm a monster I tell you, a MONSTER! :cry:
You're a monster

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Nope. I feel nothing since I don’t really buy into this game’s poor story and lore.

However, I have to admit that out of all four ”siblings”, Moreau is the only one that genuinely looks and feels like an actual lab experiment.

Top Bottom