• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Blue Umbrella

PinkHerb

Healing Item
RE7 has introduced us to a new organization with an old name, Blue Umbrella. It is a rebranding of the former company of Umbrella, turning it into Anti-Bioterror organization run by former employees as 'atonement' for what was done in the past. It seems like they are here to stay, but so far what do you think about them? DO you think they will be featured in future games? You like them, or dont?

PinkHerb

Healing Item
I found it unnecessary personally. Idk why its members havent been transferred to bsaa or something. Feels like capcom " rebooted " the franchise with re7 and brought umbrella back as a good organization.

Nah, I don't think its a reboot, but I do agree that it is unnecessary to bring back Umbrella, its didn't work in the last game, and it doesn't work now. It is not really a good idea, you could've slapped on the BSAA and nothing would change.

mert20004

Nah, I don't think its a reboot, but I do agree that it is unnecessary to bring back Umbrella, its didn't work in the last game, and it doesn't work now. It is not really a good idea, you could've slapped on the BSAA and nothing would change.
Neo umbrella has nothing to do with og umbrella though despite its silly name. At least they were a whole new organization while being evil. Meanwhile blue umbrella is basically a good umbrella.

But anyways; ı remember thinking that bu was rival org according to an article in biohaze but after rereading the files on re6 at pu; apparently rival org was collapsed ( along with its hcf unit. ) after wesker died just like tricell. Which means bu isnt secretly evil. I dont think the dialogue at umbrella corps means anything either. Especially since the game hints at a wesker revival. ( Though ı wouldnt be surprised if capcom revived wesker too. )

PinkHerb

Healing Item
Yeah, it is a terrorist organization with the Umbrella namesake, I just thought it was just silly

RipvanX

With the way Chris is behaving in RE8, I wouldn’t be surprised if Blue Umbrella turned out to be another terrorist organization. The Connections could also have deep ties to the rival company Wesker worked for and had access to Red Umbrella’s database that was retrieved at the end of Umbrella Chronicles. Either one could be secretly developing a new world ending virus much like how Carla and Derek were doing when they got their hands on both Sherry and Manuela.

There are too many companies that have yet to be touched upon that could be pulling the strings in the background, not to mention how Natalia-Alex will come into play in the future.

PinkHerb

Healing Item
If that is the case, then the whole redemption thing would be utterly pointless, and makes their existence redundant.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Although RE7 wasn't a true reboot per se, it did contain enough new elements and spins on the series as a whole to qualify as a "soft reboot". Blue Umbrella is definitely part of this feeling. Not sure if it was Capcom's intention or not.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
I like it, as it keeps Umbrella in the series. I was not happy when 4 came out and revealed that Umbrella had been destroyed, and that it had happened between games. And although we later got to see that happen in another game, and I’ve come to enjoy the complex lore that has developed since; taking the games to other places with other companies and terrorist organizations continuing Umbrella’s work, new biohazards in the forms of Las Plagas and the Mold, etc.; I’m glad that Umbrella has figured prominently in the background of virtually all the stories, with only Los Illuminados having no (known) connection to them.

Neo Umbrella was just a name Simmons came up with to make people afraid and think the Talk Oaks attack was by a real organization, but Carla used the name in defiance after she turned against him, so it became real. It doesn’t have a connection to any of the other Umbrellas.

Red Umbrella, from Umbrella Corps, seems to be like Blue Umbrella in that it shares the same name, with the color added in as an unofficial designator that has been widely adopted, and being also made up of former members of the original corporation who remained evil and decided to continue the work while they lay low. Or, perhaps Red and Blue Umbrella are secretly the same company with different divisions, and the Blue division is simply there to distract the public and the company has not really changed at all.

Frankly, I’m not sure if I want Blue Umbrella to actually be reformed bad guys fighting now for good in order to atone, or if they’re secretly bad and they’ll drop the act in a future game. I’m fine with either one, so long as we always have an Umbrella in the picture. To not do so would be like GI Joe without Cobra, Assassin’s Creed without the Templars, or Inspector Gadget without M.A.D.; it just feels wrong, somehow.

Ikawaru

Blue is not the opposite color of red using the additive light method, the opposite of red would be cyan, which is a greenish blue color.

I predict that neo Umbrella may 'think' that they are now the good guys but it's only a matter of time before they goof and cause damage and try to cover their tracks...again, only this time they may try to be more polite about it.

Something interesting:

jjj_ad52.jpg

The real "good" Umbrella is in Shanghai apparently, because that symbol is cyan, opposite red.(y)

Ridley Lockhart

I'm not familiar with Blue Umbrella, but from what I'm reading here it sounds very unnecessary.

If it's run by former Umbrella employees atoning for the past, really they could have just joined BSAA or TerraSave. And like what was mention about Neo-Umbrella, yeah what even happened with that? Nothin right?

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
The thing is, Umbrella should never have been dropped from the story in the first place. In this universe, Umbrella is the symbolic representation of everything that’s gone wrong with humanity. Everything from greed to racism in the form of its eugenics aims, and everything thing else can be found associated with it. Capcom tried to drop it but knew they still had to keep it in the story somehow because an organization that big just disappearing because it went bankrupt isn’t really going to happen. But they’ve gone the route of first everyone else trying to follow their footsteps, but that was handled poorly and got old, so they decided to do the unthinkable and redeem Umbrella with this new angle. And while we haven’t seen much of it yet, the idea works in theory, better than all the runner-up Umbrellas like Tricell and Veltro and Los Illuminados.

As for Neo-Umbrella, they only existed in name. Simmons conjured that up to use as the name of the “terrorists” who unleashed the C-virus on Tall Oaks, and Carla’s people took up the name when launching their attack to both screw with Simmons and terrify the population into a panic that Umbrella was back. But it didn’t really exist outside of Carla’s group calling themselves that for those reasons, and as soon as she and her crew were stopped, Neo-Umbrella ceased to exist in any capacity.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
The issue was never that they dropped Umbrella from the story, but rather that Umbrella's downfall occurred off-screen.

Another problematic aspect of the post-Umbrella titles was that every single one featured a new antagonistic organization instead of trying to tye the games together. RE4, RE5 and RE6 should have had the same big bad corporation working behind the scenes. It's even worse in the RE7-Village continuity since the Connections is basically completely dropped from the story in favor of yet another organization.

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
The story was held together behind the scenes rather than explicitly, between 4 and 5, which connect back to CV, all due to Wesker. Although a bit scattershot, 6 also connects those threads, mainly 2, CV, 5 and Darkside. The Connections is clearly either being saved for a larger role down the line, with their conflict with the BSAA and Blue Umbrella being the foundation for the next part of the story; or, they’re a red herring and aren’t supposed to have as big a role as we’re led to believe like the rival Organization Wesker joined.

Part of the complaints the original games got up through Outbreak was about Umbrella’s involvement behind everything, so instead of focusing on them as the enemy all the time, Capcom decided to do like the first game and make who and what is behind the latest outbreak a mystery every time. That doesn’t work as well as they think, and is why Umbrella shouldn’t have been dropped at all. Part of them at least had the sense to know that they shouldn’t be, and have kept them in the picture one way or another for each entry until now, where it’s literally back, but reformed.

The way Village leaves off implies that eventually, Chris is going to join with Umbrella to stop the BSAA and the ConnectionS, who have probably taken them over.

Top Bottom