• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Beta RE's

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
I've always been fascinated by the unreleased RE's. I feel as though RE4 should have gone with their original storyline, it looked scary, and not action packed. I really liked what I saw and don't understand why they started all over. Anyway what are your thoughts on the Betas? Here's a youtube video compilation of them (except for RE5 beta) I think RE4 beta would have made me like Leon... Too bad they didn't release it! :p

bruno

Chief Researcher
The betas were not much more than the videos we've seen. They were very poor and had no story defined yet... Capcom was having a really hard time deciding what to do with RE4 until they were forced to call Shinji Mikami to write a decent scenario.
I did like the idea of leon being infected and the game really seemed scary, but I don't think it would have been a good game.

Read this interview to learn some more about the RE4 betas:
http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Yasuhisa-Kawamura-Interview-Project-Umbrella

bruno

Chief Researcher
I don't know if you read the interview, but here's the interesting bit:

Q16) I've heard that you also wrote the "Hookman" version of BIO4. Can you elaborate on the outline of the scenario and how complete it was before the game was canceled?
Hookman was merely an experiment and there was no true back-story.
I wanted to make biohazard 4 scarier and suggested using a particular scene from the film "The Lost Souls", where the main character (played by Winona Ryder), while washing her hands in a bathroom, suddenly finds herself in a derelict building with a killer on the loose. An arranged version of this idea eventually turned into Hookman.
The idea went through several iterations as Mr. Sugimura and I carefully refined this world (which, I have to say, was very romantic).
Leon infiltrates the castle of Oswell E. Spencer seeking the truth, while inside a laboratory located deep within, a young girl wakes up. Accompanied by a B.O.W. dog, the two start to make their way up the castle... Unfortunately, there were many obstacles that needed to be overcome and the cost of development was deemed too expensive.
In the end, what ended up becoming biohazard 4 was the best idea out of all of them.
Q17) How did you feel when BIO4 was scrapped in favor of the version written by Mr. Mikami?
I felt very sorry. You can even say that I was ashamed.
While I felt that I put in much effort, refining the idea to the best of my abilities, my mentor Mr. Mikami had to intervene in the end. Mr. Shibata, who was the director at the time, was very talented, but I felt that he was unable to exercise his full potential because my lack of skill was holding him back.
I left the team right before Mr. Mikami intervened, and ended up enjoying the finished biohazard 4 game as just a fan. When I saw the quality of the finished product, I realized what an amazingly skilled person Shinji Mikami is. The experience I gained from this helps keep me going even to this day. It was an invaluable experience as a game designer.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
I'm glad they never used Elza... but I never saw what was wrong with the original RE4 concept. I got really excited when I first saw the preview and screenshots. I wish they would've stuck with the scary monsters and creepy feel with the game. It did kind of look a little like DMC though. :p I'm glad they ended up making RE0 later on as well, as Rebecca's character would probably have little to no value now if they decided to make RE0 then.

Reactions: Jay

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
In my opinion, the Beta's were scrapped for a reason...I'm glad we have what we have now, and I wouldn't trade anything for 'em with the exception of a Sheva-less RE5...Sure, I think the Beta's are interesting, and I would definitely play the little tid-bits they had developed if they were DLC or extra content or something...But again, I like, scratch that, LOVE what we have from RE now...

bruno

Chief Researcher
In my opinion, the Beta's were scrapped for a reason...I'm glad we have what we have now, and I wouldn't trade anything for 'em with the exception of a Sheva-less RE5...Sure, I think the Beta's are interesting, and I would definitely play the little tid-bits they had developed if they were DLC or extra content or something...But again, I like, scratch that, LOVE what we have from RE now...

I agree with you. The only beta I think would be better than the final version was the RE5 without Sheva.

Doom guy

Grade one Hunter slayer
Are there any images or videos of when RE4 was basicly dmc? Fun fact, RE5 was going to have Barry as a main charecter, but he got removed.

Its a shame becouse Silent Hill has not really had many interesting Betas. The first two games have got 'Demos' but thats it.

CrashOkami

The Survivor
I'm definitely sure we have Sheva because of those "boo racist Capcom" 'tards. It's as if the Americans or the Russians come out and call Call of Duty or Battlefield "racist" because people from their nations are slaughtered. Wake up people, when did we start getting so butthurt over games, with fantasy storyline nontheless? The developers said Sheva would be in anyway, but I don't buy it. The partner is not needed, and many parts of the game could be tweaked to be functional without the need for a partner.

As for the RE4 beta... I loved it! I wish they bring it back, somehow, as a new title or a spinoff or anything, it looked much scarier and more interesting to me!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'm definitely sure we have Sheva because of those "boo racist Capcom" 'tards. It's as if the Americans or the Russians come out and call Call of Duty or Battlefield "racist" because people from their nations are slaughtered. Wake up people, when did we start getting so butthurt over games, with fantasy storyline nontheless? The developers said Sheva would be in anyway, but I don't buy it. The partner is not needed, and many parts of the game could be tweaked to be functional without the need for a partner.

As for the RE4 beta... I loved it! I wish they bring it back, somehow, as a new title or a spinoff or anything, it looked much scarier and more interesting to me!
Sheva would have been in it actually...But her role was MUCH different, and she was non-playable...And I agree...I didn't find it racist at all...I don't recall RE4 getting called out for killing spainards, but throw a black in there and it's racist all of a sudden...I just don't get that...

Top Bottom