• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Aesthetic Gamer at it AGAIN

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
I think out of those I mentioned, an open world Resident Evil sounds most plausible since those games are popular in the modern day where game length is favored above quality. Personally I don't think open world blends well with horror, but I would still be willing to try such a Resident Evil if that's the route they're going with.

An open world Resident Evil could potentially take place in Raccoon City during the outbreak and have the whole city accessible and traversable in various ways. Think of it as a single player version of Outbreak File 1 and 2, but on steroids. Perhaps even parts of the Arklay Mountains could be explorable (although that creates continuity errors with the city being isolated). You'd either play as a new character or create your own, and unlock new gear, weapons and abilities along the way. The goal of the game (apart from escaping) could be to locate and save as many of your friends in the city as possible. Perhaps you're playing as a father who must locate his wife trapped in an office building, a daughter trapped in high school, a son trapped at a shopping mall, and lastly his old parents in a cabin in the forest.
I HIGHLY doubt Cheapcom would be willing to make an expensive open world game in the expensive RE Engine.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Capcom does have the resources to make an Open World RE game. Like a cross between Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. I would love to do it, but I am not 100% how it would translate. I guess if they went the Destiny route, it wouldn't be too bad. Safe zones, followed by non safe zones, and respawn locations. That method does cheapen the fear factor, but sometimes, you just have to play a RE game for fun.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Capcom does have the resources to make an Open World RE game. Like a cross between Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. I would love to do it, but I am not 100% how it would translate. I guess if they went the Destiny route, it wouldn't be too bad. Safe zones, followed by non safe zones, and respawn locations. That method does cheapen the fear factor, but sometimes, you just have to play a RE game for fun.
The problem is where the so-called open world would take place. I took Raccoon City during the outbreak as an example but it would be difficult to make such a game work since the outbreak happens over the course of just 1 week. Open world games almost always have day and night systems, so if you're taking your time exploring the game you'd quickly run past 7 days in-game sand therefore break the immersion of the outbreak happening between Sep 23 - Oct 1.

Another idea would be to have the open world take place on an isolated island, which would solve a lot of problems. It would have to be a pretty big island though....

ToCool74

Veteran Member
All this talk about openworld Resident Evil makes me have to ask have you guys played Evil Within 2?

I ask because most of us Resident Evil fans know that Shinji Mikami is in charge of the Evil Within games which obviously meant that they took a lot of inspiration from the RE series given his background and with Evil Within 2 we got a semi openworld Horror game that IMO was done in a great way since he managed to keep the survival horror we love but also make it to where you are free to roam and explore a semi openworld environment at your own peril to do side missions or collect useful weapons,items, and to help suvivors. In that game the openworld area was Beacon which is a small disjointed town filled with all kinds horrors and fantasticly dark atmosphere and while you had the option to either explore and do other missions separate from the maingame you also still had survival horror remain completely intact since your still venturing out into the unknown to pretty much find items and weapons to help you and maybe help a survivor or 2 along the way and you do so at your own peril should you encounter a slew of haunting enemies and creatures that guard what your looking for in you side mission.

I honestly would LOVE to have a side Resident Evil game like this and obviously Racoon City would be the perfect canvas for such a game.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
The problem is where the so-called open world would take place. I took Raccoon City during the outbreak as an example but it would be difficult to make such a game work since the outbreak happens over the course of just 1 week. Open world games almost always have day and night systems, so if you're taking your time exploring the game you'd quickly run past 7 days in-game sand therefore break the immersion of the outbreak happening between Sep 23 - Oct 1.

Another idea would be to have the open world take place on an isolated island, which would solve a lot of problems. It would have to be a pretty big island though....
They could start the game pretty early if they choose Raccoon City. Like think if it: they start around the time of the Mansion incident - at that time there were already cannibal murders going on around the outskirts of Raccoon City. That was what? A month and a half to two months before the outbreak? (Honestly not sure how long the events would have to span to keep the immersion factor so that still might not be enough time.)

They might have to fill it in with some side stuff before the outbreak actually happens but I don't think that would be a problem. Especially with all the orphanage stuff and the new Spencer Memorial aspects they added to the Remakes.

I kinda like the idea of exploring Raccoon pre-outbreak. I've always wondered what the city was like before everything went to hell in a hand basket. I'm not big on open world games but I'd probably play it if Resident Evil was involved.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Here is the news from the Leak Master himself:

"The reason I said RE8 was "years away" earlier this year is last year a RE8 was in development, & that one is years away. But Capcom didn't want a huge gap between RE7 and RE8, so that title got pushed to the side for now, & internal testing and such was super positive on Rev 3. "

You can find the rest on Twitter.

So Rev 3 was changed to become RE8 because they hated the way RE8 was turning out. It's not as "surprising" as I thought it would be - but it still is something unique!

D

Deleted member 21244

Here is the news from the Leak Master himself:

"The reason I said RE8 was "years away" earlier this year is last year a RE8 was in development, & that one is years away. But Capcom didn't want a huge gap between RE7 and RE8, so that title got pushed to the side for now, & internal testing and such was super positive on Rev 3. "

You can find the rest on Twitter.

So Rev 3 was changed to become RE8 because they hated the way RE8 was turning out. It's not as "surprising" as I thought it would be - but it still is something unique!
Read that on Twitter, but he never say that re 8 was changed with revelations 3, he only say that revelation 3 became re 8

Also i don't really know but his tweet are making no sense to me sometime since some month ago he say that re 8 was never cancelled or altered like some rumor say and that was in development from at last 2017 and that the development went smoothly, he say this like one month ago
Capcom even announced that they working at re 8 in 2017
But now aesthetic say that rev 3 was changed to re 8, but it dosent make sense whit its previous statement

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
So, I have read the whole thing - And what it all says boils down to this.

The original RE8 with the werewolves and witches was stopped because they did not like the direction it was going. However, they were also working on Revelations 3. So, rather than just release this superb versions of Revelations 3, they upped the budget and titled it RE8 so they can have it finished for next year and have a main title behind it.

He has not alluded to story or characters, but people still feel like it will be an Ethan/Chris story for some reason?

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
He has not alluded to story or characters, but people still feel like it will be an Ethan/Chris story for some reason?
I speak for myself but I don't think so. Ethan and Chris were probably supposed to be in the game with the werewolves and a snowy castle, but this "completely new" Resident Evil that has been upgraded to a main title will probably feature a very unlikely protagonist. Could we perhaps be playing as Natalia? Anything is possible.

Mr.R

I'll be glad on the day Capcom sweeps Ethan under the same carpet that Helena, Jake, Billy, Carlos, Bruce, Fong Ling and all of those one-time wonders are hidden.

D

Deleted member 21244

Aestetich posted this, actually nothing new but its an interesting summation of all re 8 rumor

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah - the only real news was that they were going to call RE8 - RE VIllage and cleaverly sneak that 8 in there similar to what they did with RE7. I still like the setting of that game even if I hate the concept of witches and werewolves or occult things in an RE game.

Here are more leaks about what the new RE8 looks like:

EDIT:
Looks like they are still going with Ethan and Chris for now. In the current build of the game, Ethan is more of a "developed character" probably from training with Chris like the new Piers. And it is additionally leaked that Ethan and Mia have a child. Maybe we rescue the baby? Or is the baby like ****ed up from Evelyn?" Who knows! These are all just rumors, but apparently there is a build of the game that he has seen that will be revealed soon for the public. [/SPOILERS]

Last edited:
Top Bottom