• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A reboot would be pointless...

MisterScott

Can somebody remove the spam posts in the other threads? I think they are there due to bots. You should add an easy verification game for new members to complete, so that bots cannot get by.

Don’t tell me those advertising trolls are at it again, so sick of them.

MisterScott

You couldn't be further from the truth on this one. Capcom locked all extra content, some of which was finished on release, behind DLC and sold everyone a bare bones product with Resident Evil 7. You can't honestly compare that to the REQ system, which is honestly one of the most inoffensive loot box systems out there. Calling it pay to win is just laughable when it's mostly cosmetic crap you can earn fairly easily by playing, unlike stupid fight money in Street Fighter V, another money hungry scam from Capcom. Sure, it's preferable if the REQ system wasn't there at all, but can you really blame them when every other popular shooter is doing the same and seeing huge success from it? At least they respected their fans well enough not to abuse it like some other companies.

And sure, you can say "well Capcom is doing the same as everyone else with DLC." However, there's a huge difference between charging people for extra content when the base game is worthy of its retail price, and paying for extra content in a game that was purposely released bare bones. This isn't just something they did with Resident Evil either, just look at Street Fighter V, Dead Rising 4, and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite. Same exact scam all across the board.

Also, Halo 5 may be the worst in the franchise, but let's not act like the last 4 Resident Evil games haven't received that label from many fans over the years, and for far bigger reasons than they shifted character focus in one game. And let's not pretend like Bungie was perfect either, because before Halo 5, that title belonged to Halo 2.

There is absolutely nothing consistent about Resident Evil... You can't just throw a blanket label over Resident Evil's enemies and say "they're still fighting BOWs" like it means anything. Resident Evil's primary enemies were zombies. That changed with 4 and continued on to 5, and changed again with Revelations and 7. Also, 343 didn't "water down" the covenant. Bungie did a long time ago, and 343 had to pick up the pieces and do what they could to keep the covenant relevant by making them essentially space pirates since the old covenant was already defeated. It's not watering down, it's called story progression.

As for characters... How often do Resident Evil's characters change, disappear for years, or just plain haven't been heard of again? Who the hell cares if they're dead or not, they might as well be at this point. Also, everyone you've mentioned in Halo are nothing more than supporting characters or featured in spin-off games... Not to mention, most were killed off by Bungie. So again, not comparable. As far as main characters go, it's always been Master Chief and Cortana and they're still there.

And why do you mention gameplay and brush it off like it's nothing? When that itself is a huge reason why the Resident Evil franchise is completely inconsistent. Hell, they don't just completely revamp gameplay, they've completely switched genres and butchered their own plot lines in a desperate attempt to move away from the past and make their own one off stories that never lead anywhere because in reality, they're just experiments with the name Resident Evil on it.

This is just completely wrong here. Whether you like the games or not, 343 is passionate about Halo. Most people who work there are developers from other companies who wanted to work on Halo because they're such big fans. They've also done a lot and continue to do a lot for the fans. Every update regarding Halo 6 has been nothing but them hearing the fans and actually listening to them. We hated Locke and wanted more Chief, their response? Chief will be the main character from now on. Fans whined about no split-screen in Halo 5, their response? Every Halo game from now on will have split-screen.

What does Capcom do when the fans hate Resident Evil 4? They say "hey, that sold very well, let's do that again but this time let's make it co-op because online is so popular now." Fans hated Resident Evil 5, what does Capcom do? They further deviate away from the structure and groundwork of previous games because the money is in action, so they go all out on the action and don't even care enough to spend the time polishing the game because they're already salivating at the mouth at the thought of all the money they're going to make. So that backfires and then they completely f*cking lie to their fans about the direction of Resident Evil 7 that they end up releasing a statement backpedaling on what they've stated in the past about the game, by saying that the main series is for experimentation and that the spin-off Revelations series is for the fans... In other words, "screw you guys, we found the perfect way to capitalize on a trend and we're going to tout it as a return to the series' roots despite how much it looks and plays nothing like a game in the franchise because it's not meant for fans."

I have a better Idea how about let the franchise end? why does every story have to be a never ending story? most of us are unhappy with the recent stories so what would a reboot accomplish besides leading to a ridiculous amount of multiverses like Marvel has done with Spider-Man with 3 actors so far but everyone keeps complaining first with the organic web shooters with Toby Maguire incarnation then Andrew Garfield’s bring too “moody” now some people complain Tom Holland is too thin to play Spider-Man, I bet if Resident Evil got rebooted people would almost certainly complain that:

Scenario 1: reboot with completely different settings and characters, fans angry that they are not as great as the original.

Scenario 2: fans complain that the reboot is too much like the original.

I really think that if a franchise makes a mistake it should make up for its mistake, so far nothing in Resident Evils story was too stupid to the point that it ruined the franchise, I definitely think that the action was taken way too far as of recent for instance the volcano level towards the end of Resident Evil 5 and how Piers arms mutated into some sort of laser cannon in 6 and the “gun kata” in The Vendetta movie, those were very silly but a few controversial scenes are not enough in my opinion to warrant a reboot because no franchise is perfect Bungies Halo games (*sigh hopefully this is the last time I bring up Halo) as you pointed out were not perfect but they were good games for their time had a good story and they ended well the problem is that Halo 3 was supposed to be the last one the reason that 343 couldn’t come up with a decent story was probably because no story was set up previously in fact Master Chief was originally going to die at the end until they decided to put him in then cryotube in the middle of space so you can use your imagination of what became of him but then Microsoft got greedy made new games through 343 as a cash grab with no real story because again there wasn’t meant to be another story to begin with since all the original bad guys were beaten and then war was over so they introduced the Prometheans who are basically supernatural enemies to make the galaxy in danger again only for it to make the community a house divided since it made the franchise too fantasy and it ruined the original trilogys perfectly good ending, a part of me would like to have new games with the original style but when my logical side kicks in I think to myself “what’s the point the story is over?”, this reminds me of Disney’s new Star Wars movies while don’t get me wrong they are in their own right decent movies they don’t really contribute to the universe that much apart from some new characters like Finn and Kylo Ren that have somewhat interesting backstories, but they probably are not going to ever be as groundbreaking as the original films since they revolve around The First Order which are basically copycats of the Galactic Empire and Rey the main character is basically a female Luke Skywalker who was so similar that she even lived on a desert planet and left through the Millenium Falcon and Luke was turned into Obi Wan and even died similar death with his robes getting left behind, the lack of originality is Disney’s Star Wars biggest weakness and for that reason they would never be as popular as the old movies because they were unique at the time and when a story is over its very hard to bring it back in a meaningful way since a well ended saga usually closed up any last plot and story pieces leaving no room for more development unless you ether come up with something similar to the original like in the case of Star Wars or do something drastically different like in the case of Halo and both forms of rebooting (in these cases to be specific semi reboots as they are not total reboots) fall into the typical reboot cliches of being ether too much the same or too different and both Space Opera franchises regardless are making money since kids who have experienced the new ones for the first time don’t know any better and how they connect to the old stories (and probably don’t care ether) but they still are not as successful as they disappoint those who failed to relive their childhood so in my opinion Capcom should make a few more Resident Evil games then end the story once and for all since the longer a franchise goes o. for the more boring and repetitive it would inevitably becomes, you seem to have very strong feelings about a Resident Evil Reboot so as a open minded person I would like to hear how you would have it done if it was all up to you because personally I cannot think of a successfull Reboot that isn’t too cliched, when I try to think of one I imagine something terrible happening like a cross over between Resident Evil 7 and the Paul Anderson movies, reboots are not a bad idea in itself but they usually don’t work out because they are almost always carried out by people trying to make money not by fans trying to fix the lore up , Capcom like I said previously are not fans but I hope that they when the time is right end the franchise with dignity and not follow this this silly reboot cliche like Marvel always seems to be doing.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I am mostly indifferent on the subject as I wouldn't be upset either way, but I do have some thoughts.

As far as a game reboot goes, I would like the games to be more like the originals where they felt a lot less global and open and overrun by the Michael Bay explosions and whatnot. I prefer the cramped locations where it's harder to escape the zombies who have not yet because rapidly mutating/devolving parasitic hive minds. That being said, I like being able to more accurately aim and I feel like an over the shoulder/first person view could maybe be incorporated as an alternative to old school fixed camera angles. I like the more personal stories, like with Claire searching for Chris rather than the world wide infection and the racing to fix it (not that this isn't important to the story, but it takes away from the emotional investment in any one character so much, which is what really makes a story memorable). I feel like 7 was a step in the right direction although not technically a reboot.

And as far as the films are concerned, I would love a reboot. I adored the first Resident Evil film, but beyond that they were hit or miss for me. I hated the second one, the third one was not bad until the 4th was released as a comparison (I loved the 4th and 5th films) but I hated The Final Chapter, so yea. This says a lot for me as well because for the LONGEST time I was defending the films as being their own thing basically and I was able to kind of separate my thoughts of the films from the game universe. By the end of the series, like I said, I really disliked it but not because it wasn't like the games. I just feel like the films turned on their own source material (which is really insulting to me, perhaps because I am a writer), not to mention they completely misrepresented Progeria in the film which is generally a big strike for me, not just in the Resident Evil films. Kinda like DID in Split or Schizophrenia in... pretty much everything really.

I feel like in the right hands, a really nice film series can be crafted and I still don't think it needs to include characters from the games as long as it is in the game universe. I feel that Paul Anderson's series was just too scatterbrained, too ambitious in trying to keep the films concurrent with the games (especially considering it never really felt to me that it was trying to necessarily adapt the games, rather it was just making weak little nods at events that took place in the games), just very messy in general. If they can make a series that isn't rushed, has a well developed plot that plans for a future rather than flying by the seat of it's pants with all kinds of random shenanigans, and well fleshed out characters (original or non), I would be happy.

MisterScott

I am mostly indifferent on the subject as I wouldn't be upset either way, but I do have some thoughts.

As far as a game reboot goes, I would like the games to be more like the originals where they felt a lot less global and open and overrun by the Michael Bay explosions and whatnot. I prefer the cramped locations where it's harder to escape the zombies who have not yet because rapidly mutating/devolving parasitic hive minds. That being said, I like being able to more accurately aim and I feel like an over the shoulder/first person view could maybe be incorporated as an alternative to old school fixed camera angles. I like the more personal stories, like with Claire searching for Chris rather than the world wide infection and the racing to fix it (not that this isn't important to the story, but it takes away from the emotional investment in any one character so much, which is what really makes a story memorable). I feel like 7 was a step in the right direction although not technically a reboot.

And as far as the films are concerned, I would love a reboot. I adored the first Resident Evil film, but beyond that they were hit or miss for me. I hated the second one, the third one was not bad until the 4th was released as a comparison (I loved the 4th and 5th films) but I hated The Final Chapter, so yea. This says a lot for me as well because for the LONGEST time I was defending the films as being their own thing basically and I was able to kind of separate my thoughts of the films from the game universe. By the end of the series, like I said, I really disliked it but not because it wasn't like the games. I just feel like the films turned on their own source material (which is really insulting to me, perhaps because I am a writer), not to mention they completely misrepresented Progeria in the film which is generally a big strike for me, not just in the Resident Evil films. Kinda like DID in Split or Schizophrenia in... pretty much everything really.

I feel like in the right hands, a really nice film series can be crafted and I still don't think it needs to include characters from the games as long as it is in the game universe. I feel that Paul Anderson's series was just too scatterbrained, too ambitious in trying to keep the films concurrent with the games (especially considering it never really felt to me that it was trying to necessarily adapt the games, rather it was just making weak little nods at events that took place in the games), just very messy in general. If they can make a series that isn't rushed, has a well developed plot that plans for a future rather than flying by the seat of it's pants with all kinds of random shenanigans, and well fleshed out characters (original or non), I would be happy.

The problem with the current style of gameplay is that it’s too linear, in the older games a lot of it was going back and fourth between different parts of the map after you aquired something like a key to re explore that area whereas now they made the in game story progression more like Gears of War without much opportunity for re exploring, even Resident Evil 7 which brought back a lot of old style features is guilty of this, I still think more open world style gameplay (in mostly the same location for most of the game) can be balanced with more action packed combat, I don’t think more action is bad at all unless it is taken too far which it often was in 5 and 6, I think out of all the recent games that Revalations 2 had the most balanced style of fighting, action packed but in moderation, 7 was good as this as well unless you of course count that DLC where “Joe” punches literally everything.

as for the movies I personally think that they could’ve been decent movies (in their own alternate universe from the games) until the third movie when it started to become competely divorced from its source material, you may be thinking why the third movie wasn’t the second one the worst film in the series? I still think that the second movie was a bad movie but it had good points that could’ve gave Anderson’s films if it were featured more throughout the later films, such as a it’s potrayal of Jill by Sienna Gulliory which was one of the only movieverse characters that had anything in common with their Capcom counterpart, a excellent set of Raccoon City, good monster designs with the Zombies the Dogs and Nemesis and one of the most underrated was it’s potrayal of STARS I always found it to be impressive of how the movie made them look like a real SWAT team by increasing the size of the team and giving them better weapons than they had in the game (such as a assault rifle) and extra pouches and pads etc without sacrificing the original style featured in the Game, of course we don’t see any other familiar faces of STARS besides Jill but in the beginning in her apartment we see newspaper clippings mentioning her involvement in a incident involving the Arkley Mountains implying that the Mansion from the first movie was in fact first explored by STARS just like in the game before Alice and the Umbrella Team in the first movie went in and this also implies that Chris Barry and Rebecca also existed in the movie universe but are unseen with the rest of the team because they probably intended for them to be absent from Raccoon City to investigste Umbrella like in the games and I think that it makes sense that the movie had different team members like Captain Henderson than the games since most of the original team died at the Mansion again the movie was bad like it’s potrayal of Carlos and Nikolai (I think movie Carlos was a good character in his own right but should’ve been a seperate character) and this was when Alice started to become a Mary Sue but I still think that if some of the good concepts from Apocalypse where used if could’ve Been a the start of a decent film trilogy which could’ve been done by toning down Alice’s role and introducing more Characters from the Games but casting them with good actors like they did with Jill, in the third movie Extinction they made the big mistake by making its universe post apocalyptic like I Am Legend and the hired a terrible actor as Wesker and Ali Larter as Claire (to me she wasn’t too bad but wasn’t the best choice for Claire ether) fast forward to Afterlife they recasted Wesker with a good actor but made the mistake of Wentworth Miller as Chris (I like Wentworth Miller I think he is a good actor just not suited for Chris Redfield) and they introduced things that made zero sense like the Parasite from Africa and the Executioner from Africa even though its set in Los Angeles, then in Retribution we got two good potrayal of Barry Ada and Leon (his potrayal was mostl good but I thought it was out of character for him not wanting to save Becky after all the heroics he pulled off in the games) and at the end we are reunited with Jill who escaped from mind control just like in Resident Evil 5 but in the Final Chapter it’s like the whole storyline in the Last movie didn’t Happen and I found it to be very weird that Alice showed no emotion to Becky’s death (or disappearance) even though they previously had a “Ripley - Newt” relationship and the movie revealed that Alice was the test subject for the Virus which makes no sense because previously wasn’t it designed for Angela from Apocalypse? so the later movies were not only contradicting the games source material they contradicted their own lore and canon so I think it wouldn’t have been such a bad idea if they followed the formula in Apocalypse (with improvements of course).

Personally if I had to reboot the movies I would take inspiration from the Ratchet and Clank Movie which I thought was a almost perfect video game adaptation (and this is coming from a big fan of Ratchet and Clank) even though critics hated it It has my along with many over fans seal of approval, it basically retold the first Ratchet and Clank game while also having a story of its own and I think that Resident Evil could follow the same approach and its been done before with the remake which retold the first game perfectly while also adding the Lisa Trevor subplot, and as for the actors I would honestly rather look for new talent than hire celebrities.

In my opinion the best way to make video game movie is to add new things but not excessively change or remove anything.

Last edited:

Cure Zombrex

I was disappointed last year around either E3 or TGS when they didn't announce the RE2 remake, nor Revelations 3. If any character needs to come back, it's Billy Coen. It has been years since we have seen him. I've read a lot of rumours about the RE2 remake, and from that, I think it's going to be over the shoulder. Pfft.

Top Bottom