• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

2004: RE 4 is not an RE game (flashback).

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Welp apparently 13 years ago people did not think that RE 4 was truly RE.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/the-five-best-things-about-re4.61737066/

"They say the game (RE 4) is original, when it rips off every game out there. The camera/ aiming mode is straight out of Splinter Cell, the story premise is a MG-rip off and the enemies are a horrible pop-culture mismash."

"RE has always been a slow, survival based game with the emphasis on corporate consipiracies taking the forefront. The kind of setting in RE4 just isn't right for an RE game."

"No, RE wasn't an action game as the focus on the game wasn't shooting every damn thing in sight. It focused on exploration"

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/i-wanna-get-this-all-out-in-the-open-re4-keep-it-mature.65634521/

"The enemies in RE4 look like nothing short of a hillbilly convention gone awry...."

"I get so sick of everyone praising it (usually on graphics and the supposed "mysteriousness" alone), that I feel compelled to respond in the negatory just to balance it out. I want RE4 to be good, and it looks like an okay game but not a good RE game like it should be."

"The troll looks completely out of place in RE4, like in wandered on over from EA while on break from making LOTR games."

IGN @ E3 2004 to Capcom on RE 4: How is it still Resident Evil?

GameSpot's RE 4 E3 2004 Impressions: "Capcom has definitely achieved its goal of overhauling the Resident Evil series with this installment, because RE4 feels like a whole new game."

Replace RE 4 with RE 7 from above comments and there you have it. People didn't really see RE 4 as an RE game even though the game has Leon and Ada as main protagonists. I don't really blame fans who said things above. I do frankly agree with most of them, RE 4 made changes that are more drastic than RE 7 but nevertheless it's still a good game. They may not be here, but a lot of people turned 180 on RE 7. Nothing wrong with changing your opinion of course.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Is this supposed to be some sort of revelation? Also, Resident Evil 7 wasn't a thing yet, so how do you agree that it had more drastic changes than Resident Evil 7 when these complaints aren't ever mentioned in relation to Resident Evil 7?

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I pretty much still feel this way, it's no secret that RE4 is one of my least favourite REs. RE7 feels more like an RE game than 4 did to me, but that's not exactly saying much.

Last edited:

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
RE4 was my introduction to the series and it is to me the perfect RE game. No, to me it is the perfect game. :)
But the comments from that time doesn't surprise me, fans of the first games wanted the same kind of gameplay as in the first games. It's always like that.

HookerZombie

Resident Evil 4 changed a lot of things but at least it was a fun game unlike Resident Evil 6. I haven't played Resident Evil 7 so I can't comment on that but from the looks of it at least it went back to being about horror. I never considered the games that came after Resident Evil 4 to be horror because they are too much like a Hollywood Action Blockbuster with lots of mindless shooting and explosions.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
Just like @Romero said RE4 was my introduction to Resident Evil and I have fondest memories of it from few years ago. It's definitely my favorite one, nostalgia hit me everytime I replay the game sometimes. That's just how I feel about Resident Evil 4 game. ☺

PinkHerb

Healing Item
I always thought that RE4 was part of the franchise. Sure it was different, it has no zombies, but it worked. I enjoyed it.

HookerZombie

Well RE4 still kept some of the old traditions from past games.

Typewriters for saving game data? Check.

Silly costumes, mini games, and weapons with infinite ammo for beating the game? Check.

Partner Characters who get their own minor playable chapters? Check. (Ashley in the main game and Ada in her Separate Ways game)

3 different types of herbs to combine? Check. (They replaced the blue herb with a yellow herb but still)

Puzzles that require you to actually use your brain to progress further? Check.

Top Bottom