• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Why is the character of Ethan so mysterious?

Albertwesker959

Poor performance endeed
Reaction score
You need to decide, because those two paragraphs contradicts each other. If there's no need for reaction, you shouldn't complain about Ethan's pathetic reaction to everything. But taking your second statement, then its just proves my point that Capcom failed. If you said Ethan's reaction was stupid, you agree that it breaks the immersion that they were supposedly trying to impose. If it's better if he was silent, like Artyom, or in my opinion, act like a normal person, but Ethan did neither, standing in the middle in his half assed robot reactions. That means...it was lazy. They didn't do this right, and it came out as half assed, like RE7 on a nutshell.

Anyway, I'm not pushing this forward, because I don't care enough about Ethan to go on a multi reply essay about it. If you're okay with what Capcom was trying to do there and the game concept, then you just enjoyed RE7 more than me, and this is totally fine.

Cheers!
Infact that's what i say... There s no need for reaction or background when they try to make the player immerse into the character, But capcom did a mistake because they added some reaction by Ethan and they are pretty stupid reactions, destroying that sort of immersion, it's like an hybrid between the two thing... But nonetheless I don't complain about Ethan, I like what capcom was trying to do, and i really think they will develop him farther in other game, like they did whit jill, Chris, leon ecc

I don't actually think they were lazy, because lazy mean they didn't even put the effort to make the game, while the game took 5 years to be developed, you can call it a bad decision to make Ethan like that but not lazy working

RedfieldFan

Reaction score
Infact that's what i say... There s no need for reaction or background when they try to make the player immerse into the character, But capcom did a mistake because they added some reaction by Ethan and they are pretty stupid reactions, destroying that sort of immersion, it's like an hybrid between the two thing... But nonetheless I don't complain about Ethan, I like what capcom was trying to do, and i really think they will develop him farther in other game, like they did whit jill, Chris, leon ecc

I don't actually think they were lazy, because lazy mean they didn't even put the effort to make the game, while the game took 5 years to be developed, you can call it a bad decision to make Ethan like that but not lazy working
While a completely silent character might work in other games, I don't think it would have worked in RE7 with Ethan. The story is simply too personal. I mean, it would be very weird if Ethan was attacked by his wife and had to fight back while remaining completely silent. It's must be a very personal experience for Ethan and not reacting at all would be weird, at least to me.
Sure some of Ethan's reactions weren't the best but it's better than him not reacting at all imo.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Reaction score
Making the game 1st person gives them an opportunity to make Ethan into ''the-player'' but I agree with others - it doesn't work here.
I didn't care about Ethan or his relationship with Mia. For this reason I cured Zoe on my first playthrough, at least she had helped a lot through the game.
Mia was the obvious choice in terms of story of course, but most people think I'm strange for picking Zoe. Glad it wasn't just me.

Mr.R

Reaction score
I actually think Mia is a better character than Ethan. Actually, I think Mia should've been our playable character. Maybe the plot would be better this way. A caretaker for a BOW trying to escape from the bakers after everything had gone wrong, or even trying to redeem herself by killing Eveline. The problem with Mia is that she is mishandled. The game wants us to "be" Ethan, so...when we MURDER our wife, Ethan reacts like the psychopath he is, but we're supposed to "feel" for him. But we can't? Why? Because we don't know Mia. We only know she's been missing for 3 years and we have a silly video of her. We, as players, can't care about Mia because we don't know her. Ethan does, but we don't. Maybe if we had a better backstory in the intro...maybe showing their wedding, or Ethan remembering sweet moments of them together, or if we could see his grief and worry when she gone missing, it would've worked. Or maybe that boat part we play with Mia, showing how Evelin got out of control, maybe that part should've been the first part of the game (altered slightly, to not spoil it so much or something like that.) After we kinda know Mia, after her brief stint as playable character, I think we end up caring more for her, but that happens after said choice between Mia and Zoe, the same Zoe who has been helping you all this time. Yet, of course Mia is the canon, obvious choice. We (as players, with the information the game has gave to us until said time) don't know Mia very well, but Ethan does, it makes sense for him to save his wife, but from a player perspective...I can understand the ones that had gone for Zoe first. Not that it makes a difference, because the game practically undone your choice in the next cutscene by taking Zoe out anyway. Eh, RE7 plot sucks, honestly, but that's just me.

RedfieldFan

Reaction score
I actually think Mia is a better character than Ethan. Actually, I think Mia should've been our playable character. Maybe the plot would be better this way. A caretaker for a BOW trying to escape from the bakers after everything had gone wrong, or even trying to redeem herself by killing Eveline. The problem with Mia is that she is mishandled. The game wants us to "be" Ethan, so...when we MURDER our wife, Ethan reacts like the psychopath he is, but we're supposed to "feel" for him. But we can't? Why? Because we don't know Mia. We only know she's been missing for 3 years and we have a silly video of her. We, as players, can't care about Mia because we don't know her. Ethan does, but we don't. Maybe if we had a better backstory in the intro...maybe showing their wedding, or Ethan remembering sweet moments of them together, or if we could see his grief and worry when she gone missing, it would've worked. Or maybe that boat part we play with Mia, showing how Evelin got out of control, maybe that part should've been the first part of the game (altered slightly, to not spoil it so much or something like that.) After we kinda know Mia, after her brief stint as playable character, I think we end up caring more for her, but that happens after said choice between Mia and Zoe, the same Zoe who has been helping you all this time. Yet, of course Mia is the canon, obvious choice. We (as players, with the information the game has gave to us until said time) don't know Mia very well, but Ethan does, it makes sense for him to save his wife, but from a player perspective...I can understand the ones that had gone for Zoe first. Not that it makes a difference, because the game practically undone your choice in the next cutscene by taking Zoe out anyway. Eh, RE7 plot sucks, honestly, but that's just me.
I agree with almost everything you just said.
We don't get to know Mia until her playable section and sadly that comes after curing her or Zoe.
It might have been better if Mia ship-flashback had been the prologue to the game. Obviously with less spoilers like you said but also with more references to Ethan to really establish their relationship.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Reaction score
My favorite thing about Ethan is his development in to a lead character throughout the game. In the beginning of the game, he is in horror, weak, and not a very good shot with his weapons. But as the game evolves and you upgrade your weapons and abilities, Ethan becomes a protagonist worth utilizing. Your first encounter with the Molded is very intimidating, but by the end, you're mowing them down by the bunch. I suppose that could be said about a lot of RE games, but Ethan starts off in a way worse off condition than others.