• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's everybody playing?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Reaction score
Apparently I started Devil May Cry 4 over a year ago. Haven't been feeling it to be honest, so I stopped playing it. Started it back up but it's been quite a grind. I loved the first one back when I played it because it brought me back to the days of classic Resident Evil and by the third one, it felt like the series finally came into its own. I also thought the reboot was a really fun game. But this one has honestly just bored me.

I'm on mission 10 and I still don't know why I'm playing as Nero and not Dante. The story hasn't grabbed me, the characters are boring, and the level design is a little confusing. Compared to games like the DmC reboot and Bayonetta 1 and 2, the combat just doesn't feel all that great either. I really just want to get this one over with so I can get to the 5th one which actually looks good.

Gun Powder B

Reaction score
Hopefully we'll get another Onimusha game sometime in the near future. I don't want Capcom to take away their workload from Resident Evil, but I did enjoy Onimusha quite a lot actually, felt like a true Capcom alternative to Resident Evil.

I see they remastered 'Warlords' not too long ago, perhaps an effort to flirt it to the public and see if they got enough sales to contemplate another release. *fingers crossed*

Frag Maniac

Reaction score
Well I just got A Plague Tale: Innocence a couple days ago and am really liking it. It's more of an Action Adventure Stealth game, but does have some survival horror elements to it. It takes place in the 100 Year War between France and England, and the protagonists are Amecia and Hugo, the daughter and young boy of royal parents. Since this time period involved the Black Plague, you quite often have to face a lot of rats. It's said there can be 5000 rats appearing at any given time. The rats can only attack in dark places though, so light and fire are used a lot to combat them. There are many puzzles you have to solve to navigate your way through both terrain and rats. Alchemy plays a big part in weapon crafting, which Amecia learned from her alchemist mother Beatrice.

On occasion you travel and fight with characters you meet in game, but most of the time, Amecia is with Hugo, whom is little enough to get into small spaces to access things she can't. Hugo has a rare blood disorder, which is one of the the primary reasons he's being hunted. There are also rumors of Hugo having and spreading the plague, people want to either kidnap or kill him. It's mostly stealth, but also some forced combat segments, the 1st of which kept me on my toes.

It's not the normal type of survival horror elements I look for, but the game only seems to be targeting the Action Adventure Stealth audience, with not even any difficulty settings. It's not however abundantly easy to craft all upgrades, and there are times when you can run low or out of items to clear rats, depending how you use your weapons. So far I've not even gotten 2 out of the 3 upgrades on every item, and there's only 2 chapters left. Graphically and performance wise this game is quite nice, being able to easily run it on Ultra at 1080p on my GTX 1080 with 80-100+ FPS. Some have said they had microstutter problems, but turning off Vsync fixes it, and there's no screen tear anyway.

I am already planning to pick up the sequel called Requiem, which releases October 18th. There's a real quality to the voice acting, and the way the story and characters are presented. This title kind of took me by surprise, especially since the developer Asobo, and publisher Focus Interactive, aren't known for blockbuster titles in this genre. None the less, it's getting a lot of rave reviews, and I think deservedly so.

Last edited:

Gun Powder B

Reaction score
I'm playing The Quarry. I enjoyed my first play through and am going back now to get the other achievements. Definitely not worth the $70 price tag (I got the Series X version).

I was actually wondering about this game and it did seem interesting at first but after watching several BreadTube videos of it and the idiot commentators I was just like BLEH.

The thing with these branching stories games that seem to be on the semi-rise is that they're just not applied very well currently. I hope someday someone really takes this thesis and perfects it because they do have a lot of potential.

After playing Chernobylite I felt the ideas of choices you make actually matter a great deal to the outcome of the game were an interesting idea but beating it didn't really make me feel satisfied, however I did enjoy the characters and the theme of that particular game hence why I actually bought it. The Quarry does not really seem to have anything that grabs at me.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
Reaction score
I was actually wondering about this game and it did seem interesting at first but after watching several BreadTube videos of it and the idiot commentators I was just like BLEH.

The thing with these branching stories games that seem to be on the semi-rise is that they're just not applied very well currently. I hope someday someone really takes this thesis and perfects it because they do have a lot of potential.

After playing Chernobylite I felt the ideas of choices you make actually matter a great deal to the outcome of the game were an interesting idea but beating it didn't really make me feel satisfied, however I did enjoy the characters and the theme of that particular game hence why I actually bought it. The Quarry does not really seem to have anything that grabs at me.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of stuff would you like to see and/or what better implementation would you suggest in one of these kinds of games?

Frag Maniac

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what kind of stuff would you like to see and/or what better implementation would you suggest in one of these kinds of games?
I don't know about GPB's take on it, but for me Chernobylite mainly suffered from too much crew micromanagement, but also too much ease in correcting those mistakes. It's literally a game you can easily cherry pick the best ending in, and what killed that ending for me was not just that it was lackluster in how the crew's lives panned out, but in how easy the final mission was to actually play.

You really only need most of your crew at Neutral relationship level with you, and 1 key one at Good. In fact it won't even let you continue if that 1 person is Neutral. The good ending's only fight is pretty easy and over quickly. I was hoping for a much more involved end mission gameplay wise, even if just requiring a lot of stealth, it would have been better than several scripted choices at certain doors, then a short, uninteresting fight.

The shame of it is, the story itself is actually not too bad, and fairly original, but the way it's presented is very lackluster. I actually preferred playing Terminator Resistance, and it's campaign DLC Annihilation Line.

As for The Quarry, that game looks like a wannabe Tell Tale's The Walking Dead clone, but far more contrived with cheesy characters, like David Arquette from the Scream movies, Lin Shaye, from Insidious and The Grudge, Miles Robbins, from Halloween 2018, and Lance Henriksen, from Aliens. It takes far more than graphics that are more realistic than mere cell shading, and actors from horror movies, to make a game with nothing but QTE engagement control wise, worth playing, it takes really good writing. All this game seems to have in that regard is some cheap one liners.

Curious if anyone else has tried playing A Plague Tale: Innocence? I'm really looking forward to the Requiem sequel this fall.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else has tried playing A Plague Tale: Innocence? I'm really looking forward to the Requiem sequel this fall.
Haven't played it yet, but I bought it last year after physical copies resurfaced with the next-gen version. I've heard it be compared to The Last of Us so that's definitely interesting.

Frag Maniac

Reaction score
Haven't played it yet, but I bought it last year after physical copies resurfaced with the next-gen version. I've heard it be compared to The Last of Us so that's definitely interesting.
I'm not sure I'd agree at all with it being like The Last of Us, maybe very vaguely story wise, but certainly not in gameplay. It's a pretty interesting game none the less though.

Gun Powder B

Reaction score
I don't know about GPB's take on it, but for me Chernobylite mainly suffered from too much crew micromanagement, but also too much ease in correcting those mistakes. It's literally a game you can easily cherry pick the best ending in, and what killed that ending for me was not just that it was lackluster in how the crew's lives panned out, but in how easy the final mission was to actually play.

You actually summed it up pretty well here*. My contribution would be that it all major consequences for the decisions you make through dialogue felt kind of hamfisted in its execution, like doing it just for that sake of doing it and saying "screw you" to the player if you made a bad call with very little nuance for correcting yourself within the games narrative. The solution they applied felt lazy and was most likely due to budget constraints (Eastern Europe is not known for its vast wealth) as you said you can just correct yourself at the end if you acquire a ton of Chernobylite Crystals.

Interesting ideas, poorly executed.

*I did not mind the resource scrounging aspect of the game or learning skills from teammates and thought it was a pretty neat idea, just managing how much your crew "likes" you based off of decisions you make felt more like a chore than anything. It's why I like STALKER, because it's just you, a loner, and you don't have to play the "I get by with a little help from my friends" chord which is a major feature in Chernobylite.

Last edited: