Was this game really bad enough to warrant ( what is essentially) a reboot?

black 93

Ok, i know RE7 isn't a reboot, but to me it's as close as you can get to one. In terms of gameplay, story and characters, RE7 is far and away from what RE6 was. Anyway, my question is, was RE6 really bad enough to warrant this? It's been 5 years now since it came out and in that time my enjoyment of the game has grown considerably. Back in 2012, i played through the campaigns, quick go of mercs and more or less forgot about the game. But with the re release of the game on current gen last year, i found myself going back to it more and more and even now, in terms of Resident Evil on my PS4 i have 0, 1, 4, 5, 6 , 7, Code Veronica and both Revelations. And out of all of them i play 6 the most. The game is a big dumb action game complete with clones, underwater bases and dinsour bosses, but it's FUN. The gameplay is fun as hell and the mercenaries Mode in 6 is my favourite. The campaigns all offer something a little different from each other, yes i know they play more or less the same, but they each have their own strengths and weaknesses and to me when i play Leon and Chris' campaigns in particular, i feel like im playing two totally different games. In terms of characters, i enjoy them all. Leon and Chris speak for themselves, Sherry was a very welcome return and was a good character, Jake was written pretty well and actually had a character arc throughout the game. Helena managed to get some sympathy out of me for her sister and Piers.... i can't help it i love piers. Sure he has his head up Chris' ass the whole game but im told Piers' character is explored a lot more in the Marhawa Desire? I wouldnt know iv never read through it. At the end of it all though, i felt a lot more for the characters in this game than any character's in 7, including The Bakers. After 5 years, 6 still has me coming back for some casual fun whether it's alone or with a friend, so it did something right. 7 on the other hand, i got it in january, platinumed it in march and havent played it since. Im not downright bashing 7, it had some good points which iv talked about in another thread and was a still a decent game for what they tried to do and i understand it's a totally different beast entirely to 6. But if Capcom made RE7 based solely on how 6 was initially received, ( which they basically did) i can't help but feel as though they made a mistake.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, to answer your question: yes, when it came out. Now, not so much. Now, it's still a flawed title but a vast improvement from what they released back in 2012.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Supporter Gold
Let's say you invite your friends over for dinner, but exaggerate a little with the spices in the main course, and your guests tell you so. What do you do, cook without any spices next time? No! You just tone it down a little rather than immediately going for the opposite extreme, especially since the dessert (Revelations) was very well done and pleased everyone, so there's your proof that you're still up to the task and don't need to reinvent yourself by trying to copy your mom's cooking without even reading the recipe properly.

In other words: No, even though RE6 rubbed many fans the wrong way with its very action-heavy approach and questionable design choices, for Capcom to spin on their heels and run straight in the other direction didn't solve the problem, it merely created another one, as if the fanbase wasn't already split enough as it is.

black 93

Let's say you invite your friends over for dinner, but exaggerate a little with the spices in the main course, and your guests tell you so. What do you do, cook without any spices next time? No! You just tone it down a little rather than immediately going for the opposite extreme, especially since the dessert (Revelations) was very well done and pleased everyone, so there's your proof that you're still up to the task and don't need to reinvent yourself by trying to copy your mom's cooking without even reading the recipe properly.

In other words: No, even though RE6 rubbed many fans the wrong way with its very action-heavy approach and questionable design choices, for Capcom to spin on their heels and run straight in the other direction didn't solve the problem, it merely created another one, as if the fanbase wasn't already split enough as it is.
I agree. Capcom just seem so ready to go to different extremes at the slightest bit of criticism in a misguided attempt to please us that it's quite sad really at how much damage has been done and continues to be done to this series. RE7, ok it's not a bad put together game. There was clearly thought and passion put into it, but in my opinion all RE7 has done is divide the fanbase even more, convoluted the series even more, and ditched stories and characters we were actually interested in in favour of "horror". I didnt need horror, i needed a follow up to RE6 and Revelations 2. I needed Jill back, i needed Alex and Natalia explained, i needed the ending of Vendetta to foreshadow what was coming in RE7. I didnt need to chased around a house by a hillbilly as a faceless character. RE7 is a good game, and as a new ip or a reboot it would have been outstanding. But as a sequel, it dosent sit well with me.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Supporter Diamond
Supporter Gold
What I found a bit odd was that in between RE6 and RE7 there was Revelations 2, and that received a generally positive response and a lot of people felt it was a step in the right direction, yet RE7 was still completely different from that game too.

Long story short, I didn't really like RE6, but that didn't mean I wanted everything changed in the next instalment. Just because I didn't like the linearity and the all out action, that doesn't mean get rid of the characters I love. And even though I didn't like RE7 as an RE game, there are definitely positives there that I would like to be carried forward such as the return to a more tense horror genre.

As people have said before, there's no need to go to such extremes. I think they should tweak and blend based on feedback rather than making extreme changes all at once.

KevinStriker

Too many hands on my time, too many feelings...
I think Capcom has something backwards, the Revelations games are the tried-and-true RE4 formula, but it's the numbered titles that are experimental and trying new things that might not necessarily work.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I am going to stray from the general consensus and say that YES, RE6 was enough of a critical failure for Capcom to have to reformulate again. RE6 is a great game, but it's not a great Resident Evil game. Resident Evil 6 is Call of Duty with zombies attached. There are no puzzles. There is no thinking. Just action. Leon has the best campaign the game, but Simmons is too wacky to be a good villain. Think about iconic RE villains: William Birkin, Nemesis, Jack Baker. These enemies strikes fear in to your heart and their transformations are believable. But what happens with Simmons? He gets injected with the C-virus which usually just makes people turn in to zombies. But Simmons? He turns in to a dog monster. Then a T-rex monster. Then a giant fly. This ****er literally digivolves in to every Digimon in the original series. Ustanak was quote scary though.

Now, the game is fun. And RE6 sold SUPER well because it was a hokey action game from the time period akin to Call of Duty or Duke Nukem. However, the backlash for the game was uncanny as you may all remember. People complained about how 5 was too action oriented, so Capcom told the fans that Re6 was going to be more horror driven. But they decided in their cloaks in a hidden meeting where no one else could hear them that they WOULD create a more action packed game whether the fans wanted it or not!

Then, they produced RE7 as a response. RE7 is not a perfect game. But it is the hybrid of the survival horror series we were looking for and the modern day gaming sensibilities we expect! RE7 is the game that answers "What would Resident Evil look like if they didn't get too action oriented? What would a moden Resident Evil look like with horror as a main focus?" RE7 is the torch bearer for where we left off with RECV all those years ago (in the same way Revelations 2 did the same thing).

Now, with RE8, Capcom has the opportunity to give us the same horror driven experience we have loved in RE7 and RE2 Remake and combine it with the narrative they had been building with all of the other games.

In conclusion, RE6 is a great game. But not a great RE game. RE7 is both.

Mr.R

I'll really like RE6. Really. It's my guilty pleasure. I am well aware of its flaws, the cartoonish bosses and all, but I can't help but to like it. The control is perfect for the action oriented sequences. And it makes sense. The characters are experienced, action heroes. It makes sense for them to roll, slide and all that. I love the controls on RE6. I also love the voices. The game has some of the best working on it (Troy Baker, Matt Mercer, Laura Bailey...and of course, Roger Craig Smith too). I can understand some of the complains, but I think the reception on the game by the specialized media was too harsh, pointing all the flaws and ignoring the good things the game brought to the table. Which is odd, that when RE7 came, all the reviews almost came over it, ignoring a lot of the game's obvious flaws (honestly, it looks like the reviewers only played half of the game...the first half).

There is a point I like to make though...I don't like when people say that "REX (4,5,6,7..etc) didn't felt like Resident Evil". I, for one, thought that RE7 looked like a spinoff, but it was still RE (even if I don't consider it to be one of the greats. Far from it). There's no true "RE formula". It's too much of a subjective opinion. Everything is Resident Evil and the formula of the series changes over time. And if those changes are good or bad it's totally subjective. I for, one, liked the changes brought by RE4 (and the over the shoulder era, to be honest. I really like it), because in my opinion, the fixed camera era was getting stale and predictable, especially on the gameplay departament. But that's my two cents on this.

I thought being able to kick zombies at least added some realism, and you did not feel as restrained to just run, get bitten, or use knives. However, I don't agree that the action tone is good for this series. But I guess Resident Evil started its long life like Alien. It was purely a horror title to start off with, but the Aliens type sequels arrived later on, and it was all downhill from there.