• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Village wins Steam Game of the Year Award

Gun Powder B

Reaction score

Whelp, despite the questionable gameplay elements, and being quite a far cry away from the series' origins, and the fact that their competition (Valheim, New World, Cyberpunk, Forza Horizon 5) was hardly what I would call worthy, we have to congratulate Capcom here. It is our home team and due respect is in order. I just hope this doesn't encourage them to pump out clones of this every year and the fact remains that Village sales aren't anywhere near RE2R and that is the bottom line.

What's most head scratching about this is 'Village' is very poorly optimized on PC and the framerates constantly jump all over the place and I get crashes a lot, yet the biggest PC gaming audience seems to overlook this fact alone :cautious: . I'm beginning to think this 'Master Race' spiel is a myth.

Last edited:

Murderer Enshrined

Reaction score
I can say something bad about re8 if I wanted to, but why should I? I'm in the middle of my 8th run-through of the game. I've gotten so many challenges done (there are 94 challenges and I've managed to complete 84 of them) and I'm working on Knives Out so I can get the 70,000 challenge points that go with it. I've bought many weapons and made many of them infinite. I have 71% of the trophies accomplished. Idk, something just keeps me going back to the game for more. So, I can't knock it.

Frag Maniac

Reaction score

Whelp, despite the questionable gameplay elements, and being quite a far cry away from the series' origins, and the fact that their competition (Valheim, New World, Cyberpunk, Forza Horizon 5) was hardly what I would call worthy, we have to congratulate Capcom here. It is our home team and due respect is in order. I just hope this doesn't encourage them to pump out clones of this every year and the fact remains that Village sales aren't anywhere near RE2R and that is the bottom line.

What's most head scratching about this is 'Village' is very poorly optimized on PC and the framerates constantly jump all over the place and I get crashes a lot, yet the biggest PC gaming audience seems to overlook this fact alone :cautious: . I'm beginning to think this 'Master Race' spiel is a myth.

I don't know, that seems a bit of an overreaction on both performance and gameplay. You're always going to get die hard fans of original installments of a given series saying this or that series isn't the same anymore, but creative devs know how to refresh a series to keep it from going stale. Hell, lots of players said the same about Dead Space 3, even Halo Infinite gets bashed as not being Halo anymore, yet they're two very solid games. In fact I'd say Infinite is by far the best Halo yet for me. I'd say RE8 is also one of the best REs, and unlike DS3, it's sales aren't going to end the series.

As for RE Village performance issues, granted, like many PC games these days, it released in bad condition in this regard, and it even took some incentive from a crack team for them to address it. In a perfect world, it shouldn't have happened in the first place, and not taken 5 months to fix, but it should play fine now after their adding optimization to the anti piracy software. As for crashing, never had any crashing problems, and I don't even have an AMD GPU. Considering it's a game endorsed by AMD and made for AMD GPUs, I'd say that's pretty good. You have to grade on a curve, especially these days.

You must be registered for see medias

As for Game of the Year 2021, for me it's Halo Infinite, but I put RE Village as number two, so I can see it getting top billing on Steam. Infinite and Village are also Steam's # 6 and 7 top selling new releases, with Infinite also making # 7 of most played games on Steam (Village didn't make that list). I understand that everyone has their opinions, and many may disagree, but the devs have to look at what's going to sell to stay profitable, and I think CAPCOM have done that while staying reasonably within RE canon, which has evolved like the virus it's written around.

Last edited:

Murderer Enshrined

Reaction score
In the video, Rich Leadbetter says:

I believe he makes a very good point there.

Frag Maniac

Reaction score
In the video, Rich Leadbetter says:

I believe he makes a very good point there.
Yeah, like I implied, in a perfect world, our first play throughs are not plagued with performance issues, and we can get in good runs with smooth capture within the first few weeks of a game's release. Clearly these are not perfect times though, especially with the global pandemic still lingering.

Thus common sense dictates when faced with horrendous performance upon a game's release, you shelve it until it's patched properly. There are many many games out there that fall into this category. Yes, it's irresponsible and a sign of inadequate testing, but it's common in the industry now.

I was also mainly replying to Gun Powder B's comments on performance not really being relevant anymore, as we are about 3 months past the performance patch that fixed the problem. It seems common though that those whom can't accept change in a given series tend to exaggerate endlessly.

Last edited:

Gun Powder B

Reaction score
Capcom did announce that they want to make Resident Evil a primarily PC franchise now, but however yes, they're gonna have to master that code because I still do get crashes and volatile framerates even with the patch. As opposed to REmake 2 and 3 which run flawlessly even though it is the same engine.

I have not played Cyberpunk but I wish I was given a free copy to test and see how it stacks up against Village performance wise.

Frag Maniac

Reaction score
...they're gonna have to master that code because I still do get crashes and volatile framerates even with the patch....
I would say that's more the exception than the norm, so "gonna have to" seems a bit questionable.