Resident Evil Code: Veronica X So I finally got it

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Finally got my hands on Code Veronica X for my PS4, as part of my re-introduction to the Resident Evil series that started last year. The main reason I want to play it, however, is to try and find out why so many people view it as the "true" third installment.

I'm liking it so far, even though I find some of the lines incredibly cheesy. The backtracking doesn't bother me. However, I'm having some trouble with the bandersnatch tyrants. I've just reached the dark mansion on top of the hill, and there are bandersnatch tyrants everywhere. I've noticed that if I run fast enough, I can skip them, but the backtracking makes me wonder if I have to go back to face them off anyway sooner or later?

Otherwise, please share me your best tips on how to defeat them. I really hate them, almost as much as I hate the bats.

Magnolia Grandiflora

Kahnum of Outworld
Once you get the lighter the bats are a non issue but you WILL have to pass the bandersnatch tyrants again. It is completely your choice if you want to deal with them now or later or even at all - I've seen people dodge them but I was never overly great at it. (Especially with their placement outside the mansion.)

RedfieldFan

The bats are a pain in the a**! So run the best you can...
As for the bandersnatchers I usually don't kill the ones guarding the mansion although you have to pass them a few times.
If you want to kill them explosive arrows are good.

Best of luck :)

Mr.R

Bandersnatchers are weak against fire. Two explosive arrows kills them (fire slowly though, because after they got hit, they have a brief invincibility period. If you fire two arrows on succession, the game won't accept the damage of the second one). The grenade launcher's flame rounds can take them in one shot too.

Jonipoon

Update: I've now reached the second fight against the Tyrant on the plane, which I presume is the end of the first half of the game. It's quite tricky though, I've died 2 times so far. His attacks are not that easy to avoid, especially not with the dated controls which I'm still not used to. In fact, I hate the controls.

I like the game actually, it's VERY different from the other RE games I've played. I also try to judge it for what it is - A game made 19 years ago. Many of my friends think I'm nuts for playing such an old game with dated graphics, dated resolution, dated controls, well dated everything. But it really doesn't bother me, I wanted to play it for the story and atmosphere and those are the parts that I'm enjoying the most about it.

My favorite aspect of the game is by far the music. I love it, the soundtrack is full of so many chilling songs that evoke a sense of melancholy, tragedy and solitude, but at the same time there's something warm and hopeful about them. The music box song is especially chilling. Story-wise, it's quite different but it works, it kind of feels like a game that bridges the gap between 1-3 and 4-6.

I'm definitely starting to understand why it's such a beloved classic for many fans. But I'm not done with it yet!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
You are in luck to be enjoying that game for the first time. You are definitely at the mid-point of the game, but I won't ruin what is coming up. Super iconic. The locations and set design in that game are among the best in the entire series.

Isn't it strange that Code Veronica wasn't a numbered title? It's still so strange to me.

Jonipoon

Yeah, looking forward to it.

Though I still can't seem to get past that damn Tyrant on the plane. Any piece of advice? For your info the ammo that I have at my disposal is 1 ordinary grenade round, 6 flame rounds, 6 acid rounds, and 17 handgun bullets. I've run out of gun powder arrows. I know the trick is obviously to keep running around until the parachute thing is ready for a second round. However I haven't managed to survive until a second round yet. :P

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I don't personally have any advice since it has been almost a decade since I last played the game, but it sounds like you have the basics down. It is literally all a matter of survival in that battle and outlasting the Tyrant. It is the hardest part of the game for sure.

RedfieldFan

The tyrant is one of those bosses that are extremely difficult the first time around but then becomes very easy when you know what to do and how to prepare for it.
Probably the most easy way to defeat the tyrant is by using all the gas grenades and soon as the fight starts, then shoot it about 6 times with exploding arrows and then press the button to blast it out of the plane.