Sega

Ayen

Resident Critic
How many people here are a fan of Sega? Be it their past or current days.

Sega was one of the big three I had growing up. The other two being Nintendo and PlayStation. I didn't own one personally, but my brother did. He owned a Genesis, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I never got to play on his Dreamcast before he sold it, but I did play on the others. Though the only Saturn title I remember clearly is House of the Dead. I think that's the title of it.

The Genesis was the system that stood out the most to me. Battletoards & Double Dragon, X-Men 2 Clone War, Cyborg Justice, Street Fighter II Champion Edition, Mortal Kombat II, and Doom. I also played Streets of Rage, Sonic, Comix Zone, Road Rash 3, and a couple of the Disney games.

Discuss.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I was a big Sega fan in my childhood, I had both the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis growing up and enjoyed my Genesis more mostly because of games I had on it such as all the Sonic the Hedgehogs, Aladdin, Beavis and Butthead, and Streets of Rage, The Super nintendo had ports of Aladdin and Beavis and Butthead but I remember feeling that their Genesis counterparts where much better.

My love for Sega fizzled when Sega Saturn launched without a main Sonic game, its value as a console was hit tremendously in my eyes because of it so I moved on to the Nintendo 64 and only got a Dreamcast towards the end of its life cycle when it became cheaper than the PS2.

Last edited:

Ayen

Resident Critic
I was a big Sega fan in my childhood, I had both the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis growing up and enjoyed my Genesis more mostly because of games I had on it such as all the Sonic the Hedgehogs, Aladdin, Beavis and Butthead, and Streets of Rage, The Super nintendo had ports of Aladdin and Beavis and Butthead but I remember feeling that their Genesis counterparts where much better.

My love for Sega fizzled when Sega Saturn launched without a main Sonic game, its value as a console was hit tremendously in my eyes because of it so I moved on to the Nintendo 64 and only got a Dreamcast towards the end of its life cycle when it became cheaper than the PS2.
I remember Beavis and Butthead!

Yeah, I think the Genesis Aladdin is much better than the SNES. Genesis had that blast processing that worked well with action games. When I play the SNES counterpart of a Genesis game I can really feel just how slow it is.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Supporter Diamond
Supporter Gold
There really were some fun games to play on Sega Megadrive.

I spent hours on various Sonic games, Streets of Rage, Ristar, Cosmic Spacehead, a Formula 1 racing game, Taz... I'm sure there are more games we had, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Turo602

The King of Kings
We never had a Super Nintendo, but my brother had an NES and a Sega Genesis which I got to play with quite a lot because both my brothers were busy with their Playstation and N64 at the time. I played a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Knuckles. We also had Aladdin, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. I also got into Streets of Rage way later when it hit the Wii Virtual Console and til this day, Streets of Rage 2 is my favorite beat'em up game.

I never had any loyalty to Sega though. We didn't have an SNES but I also enjoyed other Nintendo consoles at the time. At one point, I was interested in getting a Dreamcast only because I never had a console before and my brothers already had the others. It didn't happen, but looking back, it's easy to see why it failed and today, it's a rather obsolete machine as you can pretty much get all of its games elsewhere.

Sega struck gold in the Genesis era, but looking at their history, it was nothing more than a fluke. They were a one hit wonder.

Ayen

Resident Critic
Yeah, that's what make me sad. They were like the WCW of gaming. Real successful for a couple of years, but they had no idea how to follow it up.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Supporter Gold
We never had a Super Nintendo, but my brother had an NES and a Sega Genesis which I got to play with quite a lot because both my brothers were busy with their Playstation and N64 at the time. I played a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Knuckles. We also had Aladdin, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. I also got into Streets of Rage way later when it hit the Wii Virtual Console and til this day, Streets of Rage 2 is my favorite beat'em up game.

I never had any loyalty to Sega though. We didn't have an SNES but I also enjoyed other Nintendo consoles at the time. At one point, I was interested in getting a Dreamcast only because I never had a console before and my brothers already had the others. It didn't happen, but looking back, it's easy to see why it failed and today, it's a rather obsolete machine as you can pretty much get all of its games elsewhere.

Sega struck gold in the Genesis era, but looking at their history, it was nothing more than a fluke. They were a one hit wonder.
Much like you, I don't have loyalty to Sega. As a hardware developer at least. Deamcast is my favorite system of all time, but other than that, I'll take Nintendo every time. That said, I am very loyal to select Sega IP's.