• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City

MellowYellow

Reaction score
I felt, once they get into the mansion, the dialogue improves (minus Rosie, Sullivan, and Aiken's).

This was my impression as well and certainly did get RE vibes from reading it at least (how it would pan out on camera is up for debate of course). Was interesting to see Marcus make an appearance as well, was that Romero's idea?

Ark2000

Reaction score
From what I uncovered, Wesker and Jill are a thing, and Chris has affections for Jill.
Well, it is a weird choice considering their history in games, but maybe by looking at the film as its own thing it won't be that strange for fans. I'd rather just avoid any romance in RE films if it was up to me, but if it's already in there, i just hope it's not something which will take too much of a plot or time.

Chris not being a S.T.A.R.S. member was George's idea, as it worked for the themes and social commentary he wanted to do. Chris being Native American was something he was told to write. Barry being African American was a holdover from the McElroy draft before Romero, same with Barry and Wesker serving together, as well as S.T.A.R.S. being a special forces group.
Hmm, interesting. Maybe somebody at Constantin or Capcom had list of things which were to be included in the film. It would also maybe explain why McElroy has a Story By credit in the film, although from what i can tell there are very few similarities between his script, Romero's and final film. Does McElroy's script also has Jill and Chris as couple?

Romero's dialogue was amazing in comparison to McElroy's draft. The worst part is the romance elements. I felt, once they get into the mansion, the dialogue improves (minus Rosie, Sullivan, and Aiken's).
Oh absolutely, i remember thinking how awful the dialogue between Jill and Chris during their love scene is. But some of the "tough and badass" dialogue and lines between all team members later in the script was also pretty cheesy, but nothing can beat Romero adding Night Of The Living Dead reference, that part always made me laugh. I still can't believe McElroy's script was THAT bad though, i mean i would expect at least the dialogue to be decent. Seems like in late 90's he had his up and downs, but Spawn, Left Behind and Ecks Vs Sever did had other writers besides him, so i can't blame just him for those films.

Ark2000

Reaction score
This was my impression as well and certainly did get RE vibes from reading it at least (how it would pan out on camera is up for debate of course). Was interesting to see Marcus make an appearance as well, was that Romero's idea?
Friend of mine pointed this out one time, i don't know is it true or mistake, but didn't Marcus showed up for the first time in Resident Evil Zero, in 2002? If that's true, what are the chances that somebody at Capcom remembered John Marcus from Romero's script and added similar character in that game...

Bran

Independent Film Director
Reaction score
Friend of mine pointed this out one time, i don't know is it true or mistake, but didn't Marcus showed up for the first time in Resident Evil Zero, in 2002? If that's true, what are the chances that somebody at Capcom remembered John Marcus from Romero's script and added similar character in that game...
Romero was given access to information. Most likely, by 1998 they may have had initial information for Zero. Zero came out on the GameCube, but was originally being made for N64. It's possible that development was worked on as early as 1998.

Or they took the name from Romero. That also would be really cool.

Ark2000

Reaction score
Romero was given access to information. Most likely, by 1998 they may have had initial information for Zero. Zero came out on the GameCube, but was originally being made for N64. It's possible that development was worked on as early as 1998.

Or they took the name from Romero. That also would be really cool.
It sure would. And it's probably just a coincidence, but i think Anderson took the "Acid Trap" scene from Romero's script and did his own version of it with "Laser Hallway" scene in the film, considering how similar both scenes are. Not saying he stole it or anything, it's something which always happens when different writers work on same story/script, take what they like from previous draft and add to their draft and maybe re-work it slightly.

Edit: I should probably mention, i'm talking about Anderson's later draft, not the one he was writing back when Romero was writing his script.

Last edited: