Resident Evil reboot

Turo602

The King of Kings
Romero's script was horrible. I highly doubt his final product would have been anything special. Just another bad movie based on a video game.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Well, Romero's Resident Evil draft looked like it was gonna do the series justice. It even featured Jill, Chris and the Spencer Mansion incident, but then they scrapped it for that hack, Paul Anderson's script and we got six abominations out of it. The first film was, I guess okay for what it was, but the rest suck, all of them, especially The Final Chapter, good God, was that terrible. :lol:
Is it possible to read that script somewhere?

Ark2000

Romero's script was horrible. I highly doubt his final product would have been anything special. Just another bad movie based on a video game.
I understand why many fans feel that way, believe me, but like KManX89, i'm one of the fans who liked it and think that it was pretty good, but the dialogue in it was bad in many parts, and apparently earlier versions of the first script by Alan McElroy suffered from same problem. But honestly i'd still take either of those two scripts over not just first film but anything else Anderson did with the movies, and Capcom did with the franchise with some of the games. That's MY opinion.

If there was any other problem i had with Romero's script, then it would be the way background for Chris and his entire character was changed so that he is almost typical native American, but from what i heard Romero changed that in his later drafts and turned him back to STARS member, and i also heard that his final (fifth or sixth) draft he wrote in mid 1999 was very good and much better than first draft from October of 1998, which is the one everyone knows about.

Is it possible to read that script somewhere?
There is a scanned copy of first draft, and you can read transcript of it here;

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

This is the only draft which leaked out, although i heard on RE forums like this one that there was one more Romero draft which was available years ago but it's nowhere to be found today.

Game Informer guys did very fun script read of Romero's first draft, you can find their video on Youtube, and i also included it in my thread about Alan McElroy's and other rejected RE scripts from 90's. If you or any other fans here want to know more about what could have been, check that thread, maybe you'll find all the info and background interesting.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Well, Romero's Resident Evil draft looked like it was gonna do the series justice. It even featured Jill, Chris and the Spencer Mansion incident, but then they scrapped it for that hack, Paul Anderson's script and we got six abominations out of it. The first film was, I guess okay for what it was, but the rest suck, all of them, especially The Final Chapter, good God, was that terrible. :lol:
I like Extinction for its cinematography and visual style, that's the one I return to. But mainly because I enjoy the director's earlier works.

Ark2000

Johannes Roberts recently mentioned the reboot in an interview, looks like they dropped Greg Russo's script and could be going with his story ideas instead;

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/director-talks-super-scary-resident-evil-reboot

"We are in active development of that at the moment. I pitched them a take, and they really loved it. So, we are just gearing up on that as we speak, really. I’m in the office all the time there. So, yeah, it’s great. It’s gonna be super scary. It’s super, super scary. And it’s just getting back to the roots of the game. I think, at the moment, I’m not allowed to say much more than that. But it’s gonna be a lot of fun."

Sounds like history could be repeating itself, meaning they still could go through different writers and directors before they get a script and direction they're happy with, just like what happened to the first film, or they could just cancel the whole project.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Johannes Roberts recently mentioned the reboot in an interview, looks like they dropped Greg Russo's script and could be going with his story ideas instead;

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/director-talks-super-scary-resident-evil-reboot

Sounds like history could be repeating itself, meaning they still could go through different writers and directors before they get a script and direction they're happy with, just like what happened to the first film, or they could just cancel the whole project.
Well, at least they're not turning down the f*cking zombie movie God's script for that hack, Paul WS Anderson this time, but it's still not a good sign.

James Wan is still attached as a producer, though I wonder just how much influence he'll have.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
James Wan has some serious horror move creds.

If they did a real Resident Evil adaptation - I'd prefer them to go back to their roots. Give me the Spencer mansion. Give me Chris, Jill, Becca, Barry, and Wesker (and the remaining cast). Include Lisa Trevor. The Tyrant.

I think they would obviously have to be slightly less action focused and more story focused if they went this route because the movie would other wise be like 5 hours long, but it is not too hard of a task!

I didn't mind the first RE movie. I thought it was okay when I saw it in theaters and still own it. I just thought it was such a cop out to have a mutated Licker as the "final boss" of the film. So much more could have been done!

Rain611

You can't kill me.
If you had mentioned James Wan 14 years ago I probably would've been really excited about him being involved, but I really can't stand much of any of his projects since the likes of Dead Silence and Death Sentence. Granted Dead Silence was pretty campy and I'm so sick and tired of puppets but Donnie Wahlberg entertains me. But I digress. Since then it seems like nothing he is a part of has a solid plot and relies mostly on jump scares for shock value and, if Leigh Whannell is involved, a wicked twist ending (I adore Leigh as well to be honest but as he goes hand in hand with James a lot, I face the same issues with him.) rather than any real substance. So... I know James has it in him to helm a good horror flick, but it's been a while so I'm a little iffy.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Where's the recent source that says that James Wan is still attached as producer? I can't find it.

Nevertheless, when Johannes Roberts says "super scary" it doesn't really mean anything. Every horror movie director will tell you that their movie is the scariest sh*t you'll ever see.

I haven't really checked out any of his movies yet, but 47 Meters Down seems to be his biggest hit so far. The reviews however says that the main characters are boring, the premise gets old too fast, and every shark attack is a jump scare with loud music. Going by those checkmarks, I'd say the Resident Evil reboot isn't in particularly good hands. But hey, whaddyaknow, miracles have happened before ey?

What worries me aren't those things though. What worries me the most are Roberts's earlier remarks that he's going back to the series roots and mentions RE7 as a big inspiration. That to me sounds like a big pile of BS, and is basically just taken word for word from all those RE7's reviews on YouTube. NO, RE7 is NOT a return to the series roots!

Last edited:

Angel

Disgusted by squoze
Admin
Supporter Gold
An aside, sure, but having seen 47 meters down and enjoying it, don't be too quick to dismiss him yet. Don't get me wrong, the film isn't mind-blowing but there is one standout part that was done brilliantly and had my heart stop for a split second - I guess to seasoned horror lovers, it may have been predictable, but the film itself wasn't really marketed as a solid horror, more a thriller. Given what I watched, I'd say in my opinion that Roberts has a chance to do something cool with a reboot. Zombies as opposed to sharks give you more scope anyway so it might be he pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Having said that, I've not seen anything else he's done as far as I know, I'm just going off 47 meters down...I also love sharks so, yknow, biased :lol: