Resident Evil reboot

Turo602

The King of Kings
Supporter Gold
Romero's script was horrible. I highly doubt his final product would have been anything special. Just another bad movie based on a video game.

Jonipoon

Well, Romero's Resident Evil draft looked like it was gonna do the series justice. It even featured Jill, Chris and the Spencer Mansion incident, but then they scrapped it for that hack, Paul Anderson's script and we got six abominations out of it. The first film was, I guess okay for what it was, but the rest suck, all of them, especially The Final Chapter, good God, was that terrible. :lol:
Is it possible to read that script somewhere?

Romero's script was horrible. I highly doubt his final product would have been anything special. Just another bad movie based on a video game.
I understand why many fans feel that way, believe me, but like KManX89, i'm one of the fans who liked it and think that it was pretty good, but the dialogue in it was bad in many parts, and apparently earlier versions of the first script by Alan McElroy suffered from same problem. But honestly i'd still take either of those two scripts over not just first film but anything else Anderson did with the movies, and Capcom did with the franchise with some of the games. That's MY opinion.

If there was any other problem i had with Romero's script, then it would be the way background for Chris and his entire character was changed so that he is almost typical native American, but from what i heard Romero changed that in his later drafts and turned him back to STARS member, and i also heard that his final (fifth or sixth) draft he wrote in mid 1999 was very good and much better than first draft from October of 1998, which is the one everyone knows about.

Is it possible to read that script somewhere?
There is a scanned copy of first draft, and you can read transcript of it here;

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

This is the only draft which leaked out, although i heard on RE forums like this one that there was one more Romero draft which was available years ago but it's nowhere to be found today.

Game Informer guys did very fun script read of Romero's first draft, you can find their video on Youtube, and i also included it in my thread about Alan McElroy's and other rejected RE scripts from 90's. If you or any other fans here want to know more about what could have been, check that thread, maybe you'll find all the info and background interesting.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

Too many hands on my time, too many feelings...
Well, Romero's Resident Evil draft looked like it was gonna do the series justice. It even featured Jill, Chris and the Spencer Mansion incident, but then they scrapped it for that hack, Paul Anderson's script and we got six abominations out of it. The first film was, I guess okay for what it was, but the rest suck, all of them, especially The Final Chapter, good God, was that terrible. :lol:
I like Extinction for its cinematography and visual style, that's the one I return to. But mainly because I enjoy the director's earlier works.