Red 9 vs Blacktail: Which Do You Prefer?

Which handgun do you prefer?

• Red 9

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Blacktail

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Murrdogg93

Some prefer the Red 9 for its superior max upgraded firepower, some prefer the Blacktail for its superior max reload speed & firing rate...

Which gun do you like better in RE 4?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I went with the Blacktail for the features you had mentioned earlier. In a game where you are tasked with survivng enemies coming from all directions and in lots of different ways, I find the Blacktail to be more comforting. The Red 9 is fine and has more damage, sure, but it leaves you vulnerable when too many enemies appear around you.

Murrdogg93

I went with the Blacktail for the features you had mentioned earlier. In a game where you are tasked with survivng enemies coming from all directions and in lots of different ways, I find the Blacktail to be more comforting. The Red 9 is fine and has more damage, sure, but it leaves you vulnerable when too many enemies appear around you.
I can see the benefits. I ask out of curiosity & I'm considering giving RE 4 another try. It's always been a game where I feel like I could enjoy it, but the weapon sway on aiming & babysitting Ashley have been turn offs for me, usually resulting in me giving up on it. But I keep wanting to retry sometimes.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I would definitely suggest retrying it. Babysitting Ashley doesn't last long ever. And although it is an annoyance, these moments are geniunely the most tense in the series. I really love playing RE4 and it is a continuous treasure.

And for the record, I also prefer the Killer 7 over the Broken Butterfly for the same reasons I mentioned the Blackhawk over the Red 9.

mjk321

the Red9 for me. more damage = less shots to pop a head/stun an enemy and melee to death, less shotgun ammo to use and that nice "ping" when reloading. the Blacktail feels great to use though.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I would much rather have the Red 9 for its power. When fully upgraded it has the same power as the starting shotgun, and if you're like me and headshots are what you do, there's really no other way.

This is off topic but my all time favorite gun in RE4 is the bolt action rifle. I did my professional runs exclusively with it (once I was able to acquire it anyway). As much as I wasn't a fan of RE4, those rifle runs were bomb.

Murrdogg93

I would definitely suggest retrying it. Babysitting Ashley doesn't last long ever. And although it is an annoyance, these moments are geniunely the most tense in the series. I really love playing RE4 and it is a continuous treasure.

And for the record, I also prefer the Killer 7 over the Broken Butterfly for the same reasons I mentioned the Blackhawk over the Red 9.
I'm in the middle of my retry for RE 4. I forgot about my other big annoyance with this game. The RNG for what is in the barrels & crates. It always treats me rather poorly. For example, currently, it's giving me a lot of money lately but hardly any ammo. Or the fact they give you ammo for weapons you might not even want to use.
Like right now, I'm in 1-3. I have almost 100,000 currency with plenty of healing items & a couple grenades still. But ammo wise...

5 Handgun bullets.
10 Shotgun Shells.
9 Rifle Bullets.
50 TMP, when I haven't bought it yet.

& my accuracy isn't trash. It's high 80's currently. Quite annoying.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm in the middle of my retry for RE 4. I forgot about my other big annoyance with this game. The RNG for what is in the barrels & crates. It always treats me rather poorly. For example, currently, it's giving me a lot of money lately but hardly any ammo. Or the fact they give you ammo for weapons you might not even want to use.
Like right now, I'm in 1-3. I have almost 100,000 currency with plenty of healing items & a couple grenades still. But ammo wise...

5 Handgun bullets.
10 Shotgun Shells.
9 Rifle Bullets.
50 TMP, when I haven't bought it yet.

& my accuracy isn't trash. It's high 80's currently. Quite annoying.
Are you unloading all your bullets into the enemies? Good or bad accuracy, this game always gives you more than enough ammo. Always go for leg shots so you can melee enemies and when they're down, knife 'em. That's how you'll save ammo. Resident Evil 4 may be a more action oriented experience, but you still have to be careful about wasting ammunition.

Murrdogg93

Are you unloading all your bullets into the enemies? Good or bad accuracy, this game always gives you more than enough ammo. Always go for leg shots so you can melee enemies and when they're down, knife 'em. That's how you'll save ammo. Resident Evil 4 may be a more action oriented experience, but you still have to be careful about wasting ammunition.
Yes I was doing the kick & knife technique. I've always done that every playthrough attempt. At least where it was plausible without getting demolished with damage. I even saved ammo by running around the village instead of fighting everything. Then, looted the village thoroughly.
I got lucky & reached a point where it's fixed for ammo to be available. Near where the 1st El Gigante fight is. Plus I got the Punisher.
But the RNG on those crates has actually been the least ammo drops on any playthrough attempt I've done. This is my 3rd or 4th playthrough attempt. I've tested the RNG as well with opening crates & then reloading the save to retest the drops. It's completely random. Just pure luck whether you get money or ammo or just nothing at all.
RE 4 isn't a horror game. It's an Action game. But I feel like the RNG was sort of an attempt to make it feel like horror. But it's just not. It just makes it feel annoying. I feel like RE 5 got the loot RNG better, which is a fair comparison since they're both Action games. Because RE 5 would always give something & if it's ammo, it's for stuff you have.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

Too many hands on my time, too many feelings...
The Red9 for a fresh game (which are most of my playthroughs). Superior firepower and a stock means handgun ammo counts for much more, doing more accurate damaging shots. Nothing like a clean headshot from across the room.
On New Game Plus, I swing back and forth between the different semi-automatics, but lately I've stuck with the standard Handgun Leon magically always has in every cutscene.