RE Is it worth it?

Magnolia Grandiflora

every woman
Supporter Gold
So I finally got on the PS4 bandwagon and am able to play this title. I've seen extremely mixed reviews about it so, before I haul off and pay $20-25 for this, I wanted to come here and ask do you guys think it's even worth it?

What are your views on the game? (And don't be afraid to spoil as I already pretty much know the gist of what happens in it.)

Jonipoon

So I finally got on the PS4 bandwagon and am able to play this title. I've seen extremely mixed reviews about it so, before I haul off and pay $20-25 for this, I wanted to come here and ask do you guys think it's even worth it?

What are your views on the game? (And don't be afraid to spoil as I already pretty much know the gist of what happens in it.)
The first half is fun, surprising, and scary. Then the plot gets convoluted and the gameplay starts to feel repetitive. The protagonists Ethan and Mia come off as a bit bland and boring (especially Mia), and it makes you wonder.

When you say mixed reviews, you're talking about what fans are saying right? Because it got rave reviews from critics (not that that seems to matter these days).

Magnolia Grandiflora

every woman
Supporter Gold
The first half is fun, surprising, and scary. Then the plot gets convoluted and the gameplay starts to feel repetitive. The protagonists Ethan and Mia come off as a bit bland and boring (especially Mia), and it makes you wonder.

When you say mixed reviews, you're talking about what fans are saying right? Because it got rave reviews from critics (not that that seems to matter these days).
Yeah I'm talking fan reviews. Some seemed to like it and some didn't and I was just like "should I even get it?" To be honest I'll probably get it eventually just because it's an RE title but given what you said, I'll probably wait a bit longer until it's cheaper.

KevinStriker

Too many hands on my time, too many feelings...
I enjoyed RE7 both times I went through it, and Hard mode at least got a little less insane once I decided "Hey, maybe antique coins are worth looking for". My biggest complaint is with the controls, where the run button is mapped to one of the thumbsticks. Also, when I got RE7, by that time Not A Hero was a free download, which at least makes more sense of
what Chris is doing as part of Umbrella.
Should have been included with the game on the disc because it has plot critical detail, but hey.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Supporter Diamond
Supporter Gold

I'm in two minds about what to advise, really. As a game, I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. It is pretty fun and it does have a good atmosphere. However, to me, it's a terrible RE game, especially since we've lost the connection with the characters and because it's a different gameplay style. (I've gone on about that so much in the forums though, so I'm gonna stop boring people. :P )

I guess I'd say it's worth playing, in the end. If you already know a lot about the story and you're still tempted to get it, then you probably should, if that makes sense.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Supporter Gold
Get the gold edition/complete edition, whatever the hell it's called. Though, I'd wait for it to be cheaper. After completing it, I really don't have the urge to go back to it. It's not a bad game but it's not anything amazing either. The plot and characters and its overall franchise relevance is pretty weak, so it's definitely not essential at the moment.

Not a Hero and End of Zoe were pretty lackluster, and they both act as post game material and one is paid DLC which is why I reccomend the complete one, that is if you care for the full experience. But to be quite honest, I was done with each after one playthrough and I had gotten all the achievements in the main game. Didn't even feel bothered to do the other DLCs either.

It really does just feel like a stand alone story slapped together to tie gameplay ideas together. As if it was a tech demo made simply to test whether people were interested in the classic RE design and tropes, while capitalizing on VR to sell it to a wider audience. I mean, seriously, RE2 looks like a much more fleshed out and proper RE game compared to RE7.

Mr.R

Like Jen said, it's not a bad game. Not at all. The first half of the game has a nice atmosphere, the two main "houses" are pretty interesting to explore and has that "RE1" feeling. The second half of the game is pretty much about fighting enemies (but at least has a nice, very Resident Evil boss fight). The Madhouse mode is kinda interesting, as it changes itens (like the Advanced mode in RE1 Director's Cut). But as a Resident Evil game...it has that "spinoff" vibe, you know? Combat is kinda clumsy too, because your character is TOO SLOW (so always keep distance) but at least you have your defense move. There are a lot of extra content in the Gold Edition but honestly, only Not a Hero was okay. Standard fare, with Chris doing Chris things. End of a Zoe is...kinda ridiculous, but mildly enjoyable, but the rest you're pretty much just play it once (The Room is nice, but after you played once, there's no reason for going back). At the end of the day, it's not a bad game, so you might want to take the chance, if you find it for a fair price.

KevinStriker

Too many hands on my time, too many feelings...
On the subject of it feeling like a standalone story (which it very much does), I'm willing to see if RE7 isn't just an overhaul on the RE gameplay with a tangential story that reveals its relevance in later games like RE4 turned out to be.

Magnolia Grandiflora

every woman
Supporter Gold
Thanks so much for your opinions everyone! I think I'll wait until it's a little cheaper or there's a bigger sale on. Doesn't sound like I want to spend too much money on this title.

Thank you all for your help.