Super Saiyan Member
- Jan 21, 2011
- Reaction score
I agree with a LOT of this. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was underwhelmed with REmake2. I was loving it at first, but I had this tinge in the back of my head of dissatisfaction at the sheer number of changes. And...I didn't even give it a replay after beating it. The novelty of a REmake2 had worn off. I may go back to it someday...But I'll be going back to the original far more. Hell...I may go back TONIGHT actually, just to see if my feelings have changed, since I haven't played it since it came out.Can't vote. I think 7 is a bit too high while 6 is a bit too low. Probably a score between 6 and 7.
While it has fun moments and is kinda decent; this game is really disappointing to me, especially as a remake. I might be biased here, especially since RE2 is my favourite RE game in the series even though I got into this franchise with RE4 and I liked the action aspects of RE4, RE5 and RE6.
Here are my complaints, hopefully I don't miss anything:
1. Some enemies from RE2 are missing. This game also doesn't introduce new enemies unlike RE1 Remake did.
2. Scenario system is a mess. They don't even connect to each other unlike RE2's scenarios or RE6's campaigns.
3. The new ivies are so bad and very lazily designed; the original ones are better. Their only attack is an instant kill grab; that is it. They also look more like zombies. Oh and why can't I use weapons other than flamethrower and grenade launcher loaded with flame rounds to kill them like how I could in RE2? Speaking of grenade launcher; you can't obtain normal grenade rounds for some reason.
4. Weapons really have poor impact, especially shotgun and magnum. They also sound quite bad; compare the upgraded shotgun to the beast in RE2.
5. Breakable knives. Really wished the one that can't be broken wasn't an unlockable and you had it with you right from the start. Honestly I prefer one weak unbreakable knife over multiple breakable knives.
6. In 2nd run; all handgun ammo pickups are replaced with special handgun ammo. ( Those weapons also have weird aiming poses and Claire's gun takes ages to reload. She also had that gun in RE2 and she reloads that thing way better in that game. ) I wished we could find regular handgun ammo without relying gunpowder and the game balanced both types of them.
7. Mr. X is used WAY too much. He should have been exclusive to 2nd run; his scariness started to deplete way earlier and he instead became annoying. Also; what's with the hat? Should had a design similar to the one in Darkside Chronicles.
8. Speaking of Mr. X; I would have liked him to drop ammo when defeated; that felt satisfying to do in RE2. I hope you'll be able to defeat Nemesis in RE3 Remake and he'll drop items when that happens.
9. Why can't I stomp on zombies when they grab my foot?
10. Barely any character interactions. I wished Leon encountered Sherry way earlier in RPD, both Leon and Claire had roles in saving infected Sherry from lab and Ada temporarily saw Sherry. Also why aren't Leon and Claire communicating each other with radios instead of lame papers?
11. 4 scenarios barely have any differences from each other unlike in RE2 where they had good amount of differences.
12. Ada's new backstory is stupid. RE2 Ada's backstory is a lot better while making the game connect better to RE1 Remake.
13. They lazily removed bowgun instead of improving it. They could have added some aspects from RECV like explosive bolts or an upgrade that allows you to fire the weapon in single or burst mode. Instead they made SMG exclusive to Claire which brings me to next complaint...
14. You can't obtain the SMG as Leon like how you can in RE2. It's also better in RE2.
15. Why is Ada's section so obnoxious? Like you could have put a 1st aid spray and some ammunition to her inventory.
16. No Extreme Battle mode. Should have been in the game instead of the atrocious Ghost Survivors episodes.
17. Death scenes have weird blinking effects which is unnecessary.
18. Marvin doesn't recap the events of Mansion Incident unlike in RE2.
19. The game's soundtrack is really generic and it barely plays. Why is the original soundtrack a paid DLC instead of an unlockable?
20. Changing Umbrella's orders feels unnecessary. In RE2, they simply needed the G-Virus. Here; they need Birkin alive as well. The big problem with this is one of the USS soldiers shoot Birkin and they check his body to reach the conclusion that he's dead even though he isn't. What?
21. Wasn't a big fan of the new lab's design and map layout. I think RE2 had a better lab design and map layout.
22. Claire forgets her brother completely ( " That's... that's great news. " ) after Marvin tells her that he's on vacation. She also doesn't sound that surprised when you read Chris' coded letter in her scenario. This affects the ending as well, she isn't really concerned with finding Chris unlike in RE2. ( " I have to find my brother. " )
23. The ending. Why show us Sherry crying over Annette's death only to follow that with the ending that shows Sherry wanting Leon and Claire to adopt her? It just doesn't follow IMO.
I'm glad people enjoyed this but it just didn't click that much for me.