Gaming Confessions!

Shinigami7724

Lurking is my jam.
Well, for the games?
While I personally still greatly enjoy the gameplay despite literally everything wrong with the physics and some stage designs being utter garbo, I still love playing the games. They remind me of the days when I could literally play anything and enjoy it for what it was.
Also they keep my at this point, excruciatingly high irritation rate for the industry at bay as I tend to focus on the games rather than bitterly remark to myself how utterly terrible the industry is every time I so much as glance at a logo these days.

As for the creations?
They usually end up from something I previously like to stuff I don't. (Uncharted and Infamous)
Uncharted being the biggest offender of that. So I drop the series I did like. And then the rest weren't my flow really. Rachet, Sly Cooper, GoW, never liked any of them.
And I genuinely think some of the new stuff, looks really bad. (Days Gone, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima)
Days Gone looks really rough while the other two just look really uninspired.

But I have to say, I have had many negative experiences with their communities on top of all that.
Back when Uncharted 3 was new, the devs were stupid and broke their game many times, but I got blocked, by the dev, for giving them feedback and even explaining the reasoning why some of their ideas just wouldn't work without breaking a few aspects of their game.
And then they just listened to whoever cried the loudest and that made their multiplayer even worse.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
As a side note, I've been a fan of the God of War games, but not rabid as it were. But the newest God of War was awesome and took on a different game play style that suited it well. I am keeping my hopes up for The Last of Us 2 because I really liked the story from the first and am curious to see what has become of Joel mainly.

And I think devs listening to fans and their every whim is a terrible habit. I always address this by way of a story I wrote in high school. It was a decent story (not my best), and I intentionally made it a little confusing to keep the reader guessing, but at the same time, I had a solid grasp of what was happening. Long story short, a had a regular reader who was helping proofread my chapters as I wrote them. Eventually he took the information he had this far and started telling me that I should do this and that and then the main character should do this and so on. While his story idea was plausible, it was not even in the same ball park as the wild roller coaster of a ride I was about to unveil.

Fans may think they know what they want, but at the end of the day, if what they want isn't true to your creation, it will only diminish the final product. I am a strong believer of this.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Sounds like you have a grudge with Naughty Dog Shinagami! They are currently my favorite game studio - but I understand that if you're not excited for the Uncharted cheese, you're just not excited for it.

I am very excited for Last Of Us 2. Last Of Us 1 had the best game script ever created and I am excited to see how the story progresses.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Supporter Diamond
Supporter Gold
Sounds like you have a grudge with Naughty Dog Shinagami! They are currently my favorite game studio - but I understand that if you're not excited for the Uncharted cheese, you're just not excited for it.

I am very excited for Last Of Us 2. Last Of Us 1 had the best game script ever created and I am excited to see how the story progresses.
I am also a Naughty Dog fan and would say that they're my favourite studio too, though I do sort of understand why people might have some reservations about them.

I can't wait for Part II either! I'm already planning to take time off work when it hits.

Shinigami7724

Lurking is my jam.

Yeah. Not going to lie. I've carried a grudge for ND. Every interaction that I have with them or their fanbase is just pure negativity. It's just going to be them making excuses, punishing me for playing their multiplayer because I got mass reported multiple times across games, or them just breaking their multiplayer and giving them feedback over it, and god forbid I bring up their story.

I just get blocked if I don't give it higher than an 7.

Honestly. I think they were actually amazing back during UC1-UC2. But they have 1000% regressed imo.
Absolutely the worst community I've ever been apart of and interacted with.

And I've dealt with the obnoxiously vocal Fallout fans and the OG RE purist. And both groups make you want to just to go out just like Mr X in the original did.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have beat every Uncharted game (exluding the Vita ones) - and I have to say, Uncharted 2 is definitely my favorite of the series. The rest are great games, but in different ways, they lack unique gameplay in order to give the player a more cinematic experience. It makes the game more memorable in some instances, but UC2 will always be my favorite because the game had great structure, narrative, story, and a final boss that wasn't just PRESS THE BUTTON at the right time.

Last of Us is a masterpiece - even in a genre that is swamped by other great apocolyptic games.

I don't know anything about the customer service or community experience though!

Jen

Girly Gamer
Supporter Diamond
Supporter Gold
I have beat every Uncharted game (exluding the Vita ones) - and I have to say, Uncharted 2 is definitely my favorite of the series. The rest are great games, but in different ways, they lack unique gameplay in order to give the player a more cinematic experience. It makes the game more memorable in some instances, but UC2 will always be my favorite because the game had great structure, narrative, story, and a final boss that wasn't just PRESS THE BUTTON at the right time.

Last of Us is a masterpiece - even in a genre that is swamped by other great apocolyptic games.

I don't know anything about the customer service or community experience though!
I always think that Uncharted 2 was my favourite, but then I play all the others and can't choose a favourite. I definitely agree that it was nice to have a boss fight that wasn't just button presses.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I never understood the hype of Uncharted or even Naughty Dog. I think they make good games, but that's about it. Not great, not amazing, though there are exceptions. With that said, they're undeniably amazing story tellers and they've proven that more and more with their recent games. But the games themselves always leave me feeling a little mixed.

The first Uncharted had very by the numbers gameplay with repetitive shoot outs and easy puzzles. It's not the worst thing in the world but it's also nothing to write home about. However, Naughty Dog was able to elevate an otherwise average game with their strong writing and cinematics and memorable characters and performances.

I think it's the same with Uncharted 2, except it fixed some of the clunkiness of the original and had more of an emphasis on set pieces, which admittedly, kind of dragged on at times.

I used to think all Uncharted games were way too similar to judge them individually after having originally played them all a year apart. But after replaying through the franchise last year, I can honestly say Uncharted 3 is the best of the PS3 trilogy. I think they really got the pacing down and the moment to moment gameplay felt a lot more diverse. It's the only game of the original 3 that I would actually deem worthy of high praise.

As for The Last of Us, great story, but the game itself left me with more to be desired. I appreciated how unique each of the encounters were, but I kept expecting things to escalate and I was holding on to all these special fire arms and ammo thinking it was there for a reason, and nothing ever really required it as enemy diversity is pretty weak. I managed to punch my way through most encounters which is honestly kind of disappointing for a game like this. There's a lot of walking and talking between encounters, which would be perfectly fine if there was more to the encounters. This coupled with the dumbed down enemy a.i. and survival mechanics from what was originally promised just makes it hard for me to understand all the 10/10 scores and high praise from everyone. I still enjoyed it, but I'm not going crazy for it.

Uncharted 4 was also a letdown for me. The gameplay has never felt better and it only took them 4 games to introduce a brand new mechanic, a rope. And it's fun as hell to use, don't get me wrong, but, the action itself felt very toned down in this one. It felt very much like they just tried to make Uncharted 4 like The Last of Us with its story over gameplay approach which was a total shame considering how good the gameplay and action is, but it just never lasts and most of the time, you're off exploring big empty areas for a couple of notes or nothing at all.

As much as it pains me to say, considering how much I wanted Uncharted 4 to be my favorite with it being Nathan Drake's last outing, Lost Legacy is honestly the better game. I think its shorter length and more linear approach really benefited the game as it just felt like all the best parts of an Uncharted game, minus all the unnecessary fat. Even its open world chapter was done really well.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Supporter Gold
I never understood the hype of Uncharted or even Naughty Dog.
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one. I would even go as far as saying that the story of The Last Of Us is overrated as well, featuring nothing we haven't seen before, except this time around the zombie virus isn't actually a virus, but a fungus for a change. What the game does have is great characters, but that's not the same as a great story. When the sequel comes out, I'll make sure to watch a playthrough of it, but I don't expect to be blown away, the first one didn't do that either, it merely got me interested enough to want to know how it all plays out.

That is my gaming confession for today. And I'll stop now, because I've probably just made myself the most unpopular person on the forums.

Shinigami7724

Lurking is my jam.
I never understood the hype of Uncharted or even Naughty Dog. I think they make good games, but that's about it. Not great, not amazing, though there are exceptions. With that said, they're undeniably amazing story tellers and they've proven that more and more with their recent games. But the games themselves always leave me feeling a little mixed.

The first Uncharted had very by the numbers gameplay with repetitive shoot outs and easy puzzles. It's not the worst thing in the world but it's also nothing to write home about. However, Naughty Dog was able to elevate an otherwise average game with their strong writing and cinematics and memorable characters and performances.

I think it's the same with Uncharted 2, except it fixed some of the clunkiness of the original and had more of an emphasis on set pieces, which admittedly, kind of dragged on at times.

I used to think all Uncharted games were way too similar to judge them individually after having originally played them all a year apart. But after replaying through the franchise last year, I can honestly say Uncharted 3 is the best of the PS3 trilogy. I think they really got the pacing down and the moment to moment gameplay felt a lot more diverse. It's the only game of the original 3 that I would actually deem worthy of high praise.

As for The Last of Us, great story, but the game itself left me with more to be desired. I appreciated how unique each of the encounters were, but I kept expecting things to escalate and I was holding on to all these special fire arms and ammo thinking it was there for a reason, and nothing ever really required it as enemy diversity is pretty weak. I managed to punch my way through most encounters which is honestly kind of disappointing for a game like this. There's a lot of walking and talking between encounters, which would be perfectly fine if there was more to the encounters. This coupled with the dumbed down enemy a.i. and survival mechanics from what was originally promised just makes it hard for me to understand all the 10/10 scores and high praise from everyone. I still enjoyed it, but I'm not going crazy for it.

Uncharted 4 was also a letdown for me. The gameplay has never felt better and it only took them 4 games to introduce a brand new mechanic, a rope. And it's fun as hell to use, don't get me wrong, but, the action itself felt very toned down in this one. It felt very much like they just tried to make Uncharted 4 like The Last of Us with its story over gameplay approach which was a total shame considering how good the gameplay and action is, but it just never lasts and most of the time, you're off exploring big empty areas for a couple of notes or nothing at all.

As much as it pains me to say, considering how much I wanted Uncharted 4 to be my favorite with it being Nathan Drake's last outing, Lost Legacy is honestly the better game. I think its shorter length and more linear approach really benefited the game as it just felt like all the best parts of an Uncharted game, minus all the unnecessary fat. Even its open world chapter was done really well.
They're mediocre to okay games that get saved by spectacle and writing.

While I personally can’t understand how people can connect with a mass murder that spits out one liners while being in situations that are so fantastical that is a shame they didn’t keep running with it.
Or an old grizzled dude who is just as guilty. But everyone else is worse so hey.

Personally, I think it went downhill from 2 onwards. 3 and 4 added out of nowhere backstory and characters that were never hinted at before, with very similar slow pace killers. For absolutely no reason at all.
The toned down supernatural elements didn’t lend itself well since it was such a fantastic departure to what is a rather plain premise but with likeable characters at best, throwaway at worst. Maybe that’s just me, but focusing the human aspect of a character who’s a cartoon character but trying to make it realistic and believable given their history?
It leaves lots to be desired.
As you said, a lot of unnecessary fat. That do better being cut out.

And I really dislike how little the games use their own mechanics in the story.

You get more mileage out of the games new mechanics in the multiplayer. And ND breaks that themselves a year in without fail.

Lastly, despite all Uncharted games having their strengths in different areas, they follow the same formula VERY closely. You can accurately guess when you’re going to have your real bad guy show up, when the stealth pace breaker is going to happen, when the supernatural BS is going to happen, and when you inevitably reach and destroy an ancient temple with all it’s treasure and then Drake exclaim that he’s sick of all that crap.
All that from the previous game. Even more so when you take the entire series into consideration.
Even TLoU follows about have of that philosophy. But remixes when it happens compared to UC.

I’ve played them all in wildly different circumstances. Can’t say the series for me, but more power to the people who do like it.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yes, Uncharted is very formulaic. And the loss of the supernatural themes is a bummer. I think that the fan base in general is very excited by the overall cinematographic feel of the games. Every adventure feels grand. It is like playing through a decent film for me. I DO wish they would add some gameplay mechanics and real bosses/depth to the missions/story. However, their dialogue is top notch. It feels natural and witty most of the time. Their art designers are breathtaking.

I feel like they're taking a small hiatus from Uncharted to really plunge in to the next installment whatever it may be. At least, that is my hope.

Shinigami7724

Lurking is my jam.
Yes, Uncharted is very formulaic. And the loss of the supernatural themes is a bummer. I think that the fan base in general is very excited by the overall cinematographic feel of the games. Every adventure feels grand. It is like playing through a decent film for me. I DO wish they would add some gameplay mechanics and real bosses/depth to the missions/story. However, their dialogue is top notch. It feels natural and witty most of the time. Their art designers are breathtaking.

I feel like they're taking a small hiatus from Uncharted to really plunge in to the next installment whatever it may be. At least, that is my hope.
I think the voice actors make the writing seem better than it is.
They retrend a LOT of the same dialogue but the VAs put a lot of soul and variety to the characters by voice alone. They fit the circumstances perfectly. Even when they say the same stuff across games, they never reuse voice lines and the VAs never break character.

Also, while I didn’t acknowledge the locals, yeah their art direction is REALLY good.

Enemies are a bit samey for me since a lot of times the enemies have this pirate like aesthetic that fits I suppose, but got boring after a while. UC2 being an exception.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Supporter Diamond
Supporter Gold
Yeah... I heard the exact same thing actually. Found one for $40 at my local game store. Thinking I may go ahead do it lol.
If it interests you then go for it. My brother mainly got it for the original Rayman game, haha.