E3 2019

Jonipoon

Valentine's valentine
What a disappointing E3. As others have already pointed out, it was basically a bunch of CG trailers with very few pleasant surprises in-between.

The stuff I liked was mostly stuff from games I already knew was coming - Cyberpunk 2077, Jedi: Fallen Order, VTM: Bloodlines 2, and The Sinking City. Blair Witch was literally the only thing that caught me by genuine surprise, and even though it looks amazing it's still just a CG trailer. The worst thing about Blair Witch is that it's not coming for the PS4 (!).

Contrary to others, I did not like the trailer for Avengers. I thought it looked cheap and more like an advanced mobile game for iPads. And what's the point of making everything look like the MCU Avengers if their faces look nothing like the actors at all?

GhostWire: Tokyo was an unpleasant surprise since it meant no Evil Within 3. Now, it could be good but until I see some actual gameplay I'm going to remain silent.

Lastly, what the hell Capcom? What and where are your plans for the Resident Evil series?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Supporter Gold
I gotta agree with @Jonipoon , I'm very disappointed this year. I mean...I figured MIcrosoft being boring aside from the three titles I pointed out earlier was a given considering I don't play Microsfot. But Bethesda REALLY dropped the ball. Square Enix was exactly what I expected, and the same goes for Nintendo. Some cool stuff here and there. Nintendo definitely won this year. But being the least lame in a crowd of losers still isn't that great.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I gotta agree with @Jonipoon , I'm very disappointed this year. I mean...I figured MIcrosoft being boring aside from the three titles I pointed out earlier was a given considering I don't play Microsfot. But Bethesda REALLY dropped the ball. Square Enix was exactly what I expected, and the same goes for Nintendo. Some cool stuff here and there. Nintendo definitely won this year. But being the least lame in a crowd of losers still isn't that great.
Nintendo had an amazing showing, no matter how great or dull the other conferences were. They actually had some surprise reveals, lots of announcements, great showings of previously announced games, tons of third party support, and the bomb that was Breath of the Wild 2. That sounds like a winner to me, period.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Supporter Gold
Nintendo had an amazing showing, no matter how great or dull the other conferences were. They actually had some surprise reveals, lots of announcements, great showings of previously announced games, tons of third party support, and the bomb that was Breath of the Wild 2. That sounds like a winner to me, period.
Nintendo definitely won, don't get me wrong. I just wasn't as wowed by them as everyone else seems to be. Which is sad since they're my absolute favorite gaming company. I liked what they showed. I really did. Just...Previous E3's have been like music festivals for me. Woodstocks and Bonaroos. It was an event where I was psyched the whole way through. I didn't get that this year. From ANYONE. I got a couple of things I thought look kinda interesting, and to carry on with the concert analogy, it's like Nintendo came out as the headliner, who also happens to be your favorite band, but then they play the new album with stuff you don't know yet, so you can't really sing along, and it's live so you can't really appreciate the song itself. The few famous hits they did throw in there were good, but you knew they were coming. Not inherently bad, but after a weekend of bands you didn't care about hitting the stage, the one band you were most excited for putting on an average show makes the whole event sting even more. It's not a perfect analogy, but hopefully it gets the job done.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Nintendo definitely won, don't get me wrong. I just wasn't as wowed by them as everyone else seems to be. Which is sad since they're my absolute favorite gaming company. I liked what they showed. I really did. Just...Previous E3's have been like music festivals for me. Woodstocks and Bonaroos. It was an event where I was psyched the whole way through. I didn't get that this year. From ANYONE. I got a couple of things I thought look kinda interesting, and to carry on with the concert analogy, it's like Nintendo came out as the headliner, who also happens to be your favorite band, but then they play the new album with stuff you don't know yet, so you can't really sing along, and it's live so you can't really appreciate the song itself. The few famous hits they did throw in there were good, but you knew they were coming. Not inherently bad, but after a weekend of bands you didn't care about hitting the stage, the one band you were most excited for putting on an average show makes the whole event sting even more. It's not a perfect analogy, but hopefully it gets the job done.
No conference has ever "wowed" me the whole way through. That's just impossible for me. But I can still recognize when a conference had an all around great showing for everyone, not just me. There was plenty of stuff for me in there and there was plenty of great stuff for other people as well. I can't think of a single thing that was bad in there even though I don't personally give a sh*t for Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, The Witcher, No More Heroes, and so on. Doesn't mean they're not great announcements and reveals. But I do agree that this year's E3 has been weak. But I don't think that takes away from how great Nintendo was.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Supporter Gold
Well... I was quite pleased with EA Play. The part about The Sims, anyway. :biggrin:

I still watched some of the other presentations, hoping - against better judgment - that there would be news about Resident Evil or Tomb Raider, but turned off the stream after the umpteenth Lego game trailer.

Edge Stylez

Advanced 3d Artist
Wow, Breath of the wild 2 looks amazing. but the reveal of cyber punk 2077 and some other games for xbox, microsoft decided reveal the best games for the last years of life for the xbox one.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Supporter Gold
No conference has ever "wowed" me the whole way through. That's just impossible for me. But I can still recognize when a conference had an all around great showing for everyone, not just me. There was plenty of stuff for me in there and there was plenty of great stuff for other people as well. I can't think of a single thing that was bad in there even though I don't personally give a sh*t for Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, The Witcher, No More Heroes, and so on. Doesn't mean they're not great announcements and reveals. But I do agree that this year's E3 has been weak. But I don't think that takes away from how great Nintendo was.
I didn't say it was a bad press conference. I said it was a good one. I just didn't care for it. I've mentioned many a time that I found E3 dissapointing this year.

Jonipoon

Valentine's valentine
I still watched some of the other presentations, hoping - against better judgment - that there would be news about Resident Evil or Tomb Raider.
The next time we hear about Tomb Raider, I hope they'll return to make games about the mature, experienced Lara Croft instead of the annoying wimp we got in the last two games (and yes, I say last two, because the first game in the reboot trilogy was actually solid).

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Genuinely surprised about Contra. Konami actually does something with one of their many squandered IPs that's not a mobile or cheap spin-off game and it actually looks good? Yeah, color me shocked. Granted, they still have a ways to go after all their f*ck-ups and shenanigans over the last few years (cancelling Silent Hills after all that hype surrounding it was unforgivable) and I wouldn't put it past them to somehow f*ck this one up like they did by releasing a mediocre Bomberman game and the godawful disgrace Metal Gear Survive, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Stoked about finally getting our first look at the Square-Enix Avengers game. They finally revealed the whole reasoning behind the Avengers split in the reveal trailer after 3 years of radio silence and while the character models do look iffy, the story and little bits of gameplay they did show looks promising. I also love that we're getting free DLC characters, hopefully we get DareDevil as part of this free DLC package (which they did leave a Cade & Murdock ad in Spider-Man PS4 as a sort of Easter Egg, so who knows?).

I also liked what I saw from the FF7 remake reveal. Glad we finally got our first look at Remake Tifa, she still looks great, and I'm glad they kept the original outfit, which I was deathly afraid was gonna be scraped with the current social justice climate unfortunately being what it is. Glad they didn't cave. Plus the game, while different, still looks amazing. I love that the first in what is an episodic game is getting a physical release, too. How are they gonna release parts 2 and 3, though? Have them be titled FFVII Remake-2 and Final Fantasy VII Remake-3 kinda like FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3? I'm curious.

But yeah, this year's E3 was forgettable all-around. Not a single presser outside of maybe Nintendo's was remotely worthwhile. Gears 5 looked mediocre and it seems they've milked the franchise for all it's worth at this point, but on the plus side, the Terminator: Dark Fate tie-in DLC lends credence to the rumors (and James Cameron's claims) that the movie will, in fact, be rated R. So an adult film franchise will actually go back to being for adults and not be held back by PG-13 limitations like the last 2 sh*tty films? YAY! No, it doesn't guarantee the film will be any good (T3 sucked in spite of it being R) and the teaser trailer was nothing special, but when you're talking about deadly futuristic robots wiping out the human race, this sh!t should not be PG-13. Plus Tim Miller has shown he can deliver the goods with an R rating in the past with Deadpool.

Last edited:

Shinigami7724

Lurking is my jam.
I thought this E3 was fine. All the big players did okay.

Microsoft was fine.

Nintendo was okay.

Bethesda was kinda rocky, but not terrible, gotta give them props for the whole 76 nightmare. So them still rolling with it is nice.

CD was nice, but pretty pointless. There was a lot of pointless shots like Dying Light, Cyberpunk, anything from SE, etc.

EA and Ubisoft weren't that great, but that's par for the course.

It's not an amazing E3. But there have definitely been worse.