• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil - Code: Veronica Why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt Dog

I'd like to hear why some people don't like this game. Usually the people that say they don't like it never even finished it because they got stuck (Tyrant fight on the plane). Personally, RECVX is one of the best RE games ever made. It had an incredible story, classic RE atmosphere, hard bosses, and the antagionists were pretty interesting if you ask me. Sure Steve was annoying and corny as hell, but if you know anything about RE and it's history... it's always been corny as hell (dialogue/voice acting) . This game had the return of Wesker and Chris and went more depth into Umbrella so what's not to like? It seems to me RECVX is like sushi... you either love it... or hate it. Personally I love it and highly reccomend that those of you that have not finished it to get it another shot. I'm interested to here peoples thoughts on this, whether they agree or disagree.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I agree with you on this:

It had an incredible story, classic RE atmosphere, hard bosses, and the antagionists were pretty interesting.

If it was just the story and the characters, Code Veronica would have been great. However, I have three major problems with this game.

1) The difficulty. I know there's more than one version of CV, I hear that some include selectable difficulty settings while others do not. My version belongs to the latter group. Of course, every game is supposed to be difficult the first time you play it, but CV takes it up to eleven. I barely made it to the Ashford residence when I realised I had no ammo, no health or health items, and no possiblity to dodge that big yellow monster's long arm. That's when I decided I can't go on without cheats.

2) Length and repetitiveness. Even after my hacks had given me endless health and ammo, I couldn't enjoy the game because I got lost all the time. It had happened before with other RE games, but not as much. More often than not, I thought I knew where I was supposed to go, but not how to get there, and the map barely helped. Things got worse when Chris entered the stage: Not only did I have to play through the same environment again, but thanks to the partial destruction of the island many ways were cut off, so I could forget about pretty much every shortcut I had remembered. The result was running around and running around and running around all over again. Same for the Antarctic, although not to the whole extent. Of course, that's an effective way to make a game longer, but not a very pleasing one.

3) Grey fog. This might sound superficial, but that stupid grey fog engulfing everything that is more than five metres away from the camera ruins not only the enhanced graphics, but also part of the atmosphere. Everything looks so dull and blurred and washed-out. We're not in Silent Hill here, so couldn't it have been darkness instead of fog? Black is better than grey.

CV unites my favourite story, my favourite heroes (the Redfields) and my favourite antagonists (the Ashfords) all in one game, but the game itself is rather unenjoyable for me. It's a pity, but what can I do? A remake without those flaws would be great.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
For once I agree with Hel...mostly anyway.

It is a very difficult game and it is quite repetitive. I know that all Resident Evil games have that continuous backtracking but Code Veronica does it bigger and better. The playing-board is so much bigger in CV that it's like you're running across miles to get to one thing and then, when Chris arrives, you're going over territory that Claire has already ventured, territory you thought you'd never see again. (With some exceptions, of course.)

The smog? Yeah...I'm not entirely sure why that would factor into anything but to each their own. *shrugs*

In any case, I think those are all pretty shallow complaints and stupid reasons for never finishing the game because, if the game was easy, people would be complaining that it needs to be harder and if there wasn't all this backtracking, people would say the game is too short. All in all, it's probably one of my favorite Resident Evil games and I felt this great sense of accomplishment after beating it.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
I enjoyed the game, and as Magnolia said, the first time I beat it I felt so accomplished. I felt like I just head butted the sun out of orbit. Lolz. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the game is just tedious. You have to really dedicate yourself to seeing it through, and make sure you grab those damn B.O.W. gas rounds -__- I forgot 'em once and somehow still beat that Tyrant. Like most of the older titles in the series, its not meant for casual play(imo), but CVX just takes it to a whole nother level. Despite all of this, I still give it an 8/10.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
There's another thing I forgot to mention earlier: The lack of replay value.
If I'm not mistaken, the only things you can unlock are Battle Mode (which you get after finishing the game for the first time, no matter how you did it) and the infinite rocket launcher (which is almost impossible to get without cheats unless you are a real pro or just have too much time and endless patience). This shouldn't be an issue for people who enjoy the game as it is, but in my case, after finishing it once, I had no real reason to replay it.

if the game was easy, people would be complaining that it needs to be harder and if there wasn't all this backtracking, people would say the game is too short.

Quality vs. quantity. I've heard a lot of people criticise short games for being short, but I've never heard anyone praise a repetitive game for being repetitive. Personally, I prefer a short but fun game over a long and boring one. Not that CV is boring, but... you know. There would have been better ways to make it as long as it is.
I agree on the difficulty thing, but that's why most other games offer various difficulty levels to choose from. I don't know how many versions of CV do that, though, so maybe I was just unlucky.

make sure you grab those damn B.O.W. gas rounds -__- I forgot 'em once and somehow still beat that Tyrant.

Question from a CV noob: What's so special about those gas rounds? I never found them particularly useful, even though I had an infinite amount of them.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Quality vs. quantity. I've heard a lot of people criticise short games for being short, but I've never heard anyone praise a repetitive game for being repetitive. Personally, I prefer a short but fun game over a long and boring one. Not that CV is boring, but... you know. There would have been better ways to make it as long as it is.
I agree with quality vs quantity but I don't necessarily agree with the fact that the backtracking is repetitive or boring or that there were better ways to make it longer; to be honest, it was very realistic the way it was. I'm not sure how many times we, as humans, overlook something because we don't have room for it or it seems useless and we believe we won't need it only to find out later that we do need it.

Not to mention the added obstacles that came with going back and getting certain things. It's like returning to an area already explored to grab something just ****ed all the monsters on the island off and made them come at you with renewed spirit. It's a trial and error issue that rings true to life.
I agree on the difficulty thing, but that's why most other games offer various difficulty levels to choose from. I don't know how many versions of CV do that, though, so maybe I was just unlucky.
I believe only the original version is the only one that did the difficulty levels, CVX only had one difficulty setting.
Question from a CV noob: What's so special about those gas rounds? I never found them particularly useful, even though I had an infinite amount of them.
I've played the game multiple times and I've never found any special use for them either. Using them on the plane was no more helpful than regular grenade rounds, in my opinion.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
Really? I remember those being very helpful at that part. It's been a while, but I do remember watching a youtube video because I was stuck, and the player fired off a few of those rounds and it was enough to weaken the Tyrant to knock him off the plane. I didn't use any of them from that point on in the game, but they were a valuable asset in at least that fight.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
B.O.W. gas rounds are supposed to weaken the enemies slightly, I think. They are the weaponized version of the gas in RE2, when you get to the labs, but instead of mutating the enemy (it gave the Ivys the ability to poison the B character if you turned it on as the A character) it makes them drop a few HPs. If memory serves, if you use all three B.O.W. gas rounds first, then you only need either between 3 to 6 regular grenade rounds to defeat the tyrant the first time.

I liked Code: Veronica, but then again, I liked them all, and only found myself disliking a small thing from each game.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Personally, RECVX is the best game out there. My only complaint that is really legit is dialouge needs a TON of work. Other than that, I liked especially like how much you really had to strategize to see it through. I really don't see anyone's concern. Sure it's hard the first time, but to me, that's just an excuse to give up.

I consider my self a vet at this game though. ( I still have yet to get an A rank on Wesker's battle mode :( ) After all, I have gotten an A rank on the main story line! (Yay R. Launchers!)

Salt Dog

I guess at the end of the day it's all a matter of taste. I like how RECVX is hard in the sense that you really must strategize through out the game so you are not screwed at the next upcoming boss fights. Maybe it's just because I'm more of an old school gamer than anything and I tend to enjoy the games that come out today that are much harder than most sense that's just what I grew up on. RECVX is by no means perfect and I agree with some of your guys points. I just think it's a shame people don't give this game the light of the day because the game is "too hard".... kids these days :cool:

And for the record I have never used the BOW rounds on Tyrant in the plane :D (I always forget to save fire arrows as well) Some grenande rounds, a first aid, and one or two herbs is all you need.

AgentZero

I guess at the end of the day it's all a matter of taste. I like how RECVX is hard in the sense that you really must strategize through out the game so you are not screwed at the next upcoming boss fights. Maybe it's just because I'm more of an old school gamer than anything and I tend to enjoy the games that come out today that are much harder than most sense that's just what I grew up on. RECVX is by no means perfect and I agree with some of your guys points. I just think it's a shame people don't give this game the light of the day because the game is "too hard".... kids these days :cool:

And for the record I have never used the BOW rounds on Tyrant in the plane :D (I always forget to save fire arrows as well) Some grenande rounds, a first aid, and one or two herbs is all you need.
LOL. It's funny cause I'm 13 and my favorite games are older than I am.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I agree with quality vs quantity but I don't necessarily agree with the fact that the backtracking is repetitive or boring or that there were better ways to make it longer; to be honest, it was very realistic the way it was.

I think a game should drop realism as soon as said realism conflicts with fun. That's what happened in my case, at least. With "better ways to make it longer" I meant stuff like adding more challenging puzzles instead of backtracking. Sure, the earlier games had a lot of backtracking too, but it wasn't nearly as obnoxious because there weren't so many areas to explore at the same time (although RE3 gets close in the first half). But then again, the newer games suffer from having no backtracking at all... I guess no game of this series will ever be as perfect (for me) as RE1/Remake and RE2 were. :(

I guess at the end of the day it's all a matter of taste.

That's exactly it. Because I'm an old school gamer too and I'm older than you, yet I still don't like CV, because of its difficulty among other things. I don't hate it, though, and there seems to be no one here apart from me who even dislikes it, so maybe your favourite RE game isn't really as unpopular or "hated" as you thought. :)

Salt Dog

That's exactly it. Because I'm an old school gamer too and I'm older than you, yet I still don't like CV, because of its difficulty among other things. I don't hate it, though, and there seems to be no one here apart from me who even dislikes it, so maybe your favourite RE game isn't really as unpopular or "hated" as you thought. :)

Well RECVX is by no means my favorite RE game. It's probably my 3rd favorite behind RE2 and REmake. I just have just been curious as to why so many people dislike this one it for a long time. To each their own.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I think a game should drop realism as soon as said realism conflicts with fun.
Because that's what life is about! Dropping things because they're no fun. ;) I'm sure when the 'art imitates life' philosophy was coined, it didn't just mean the amazingly awesome parts that were hella fun.
But then again, the newer games suffer from having no backtracking at all... I guess no game of this series will ever be as perfect (for me) as RE1/Remake and RE2 were.
RE1 and RE2 both had their fair share of problems, to be sure; there's no need to glorify them for the sake of nostalgia. I love them too and they are series standards but I believe RE3 and CV did just fine shaking things up while keeping them fun and in that Resident Evil spirit.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm not glorifying anything for the sake of nostalgia, but the flaws of RE1 and RE2 just don't bother me as much (except for Chris's tiny inventory, that can be annoying at times). I for one strongly differentiate between real life and games, so I only welcome realism in the latter if it adds to the fun instead of decreasing it. Everything else just adds to frustration in a negative way and I don't like that, but if you don't mind it, then I guess CV is perfect for you.

AgentZero

I'm not glorifying anything for the sake of nostalgia, but the flaws of RE1 and RE2 just don't bother me as much (except for Chris's tiny inventory, that can be annoying at times). I for one strongly differentiate between real life and games, so I only welcome realism in the latter if it adds to the fun instead of decreasing it. Everything else just adds to frustration in a negative way and I don't like that, but if you don't mind it, then I guess CV is perfect for you.
But you can get a side pack in Chris' campaign too.

Its in the room where we get the bow gun.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Thanks, but I was talking about Chris in RE1 at that point, not his Code Veronica scenario.

AgentZero

Thanks, but I was talking about Chris in RE1 at that point, not his Code Veronica scenario.
Oh. But don't Jill and Chris get the same amount of inventory space?

Also, I just read your first post, and you said that you had hacks to give you infinite ammo and health, What system, and how did you do this?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
No, Jill can carry eight items, Chris has only six. That was one of the major differences between the playable characters in RE1. It was dropped for RE2, but brought back for the Remake.

I played Code Veronica with an emulator on a friend's PC. She also installed the cheats, but don't ask me how. I don't have a knack for computer technology like she does.

black 93

i only got round to completin this game last year as i never managed to get hold of it till it came out on ps3. Gotta say tho considering i didnt play this game till 2013 i was totally hooked. Alfred makes a good villain cuz he is an actual psycho with the whole beleiving he's alexia thing ( which i thought was great) . Its probably ties with REmake for my faveourite. Would love this one to get a remake like the first one did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom