• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Umbrella Corps Wesker's Back?

Turo602

The King of Kings
So I'm surprised no one is talking about this. According to Rely on Horror and later further supported by D.C. Douglas on Twitter, Wesker is back in Umbrella Corps. In The Experiment campaign, there are files that could very well allude to Wesker. His voice is heard praising the winner in multiplayer under specific circumstances and the game is also considered canon. So what do you guys think of it? Is this direct confirmation that Wesker is still alive or is it just a bunch of smoke? Personally, I'd love to see Wesker return and bring back some relevance to the series' story. The franchise is definitely not above bringing characters back from the dead and his demise in Resident Evil 5 was just horribly done.

Source

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Hahaha you really should have. I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't have gotten it. Let's not forget he's already been back once LMAO

Anyways. I definitely said my fill on this subject. I still don't know what to think if he is or not. At this rate... The horror atmosphere seems to be covered by Alex and the action by Albert. Perhaps this will have to do with that other unannounced game?

I think it's more fan service than anything really. Otherwise he really worked his way up there and what is he now? A scary old man? If he is back. It sounds like the Wesker's will be their completely own characters, I mean they already were asides from their parallels, but their goals seem radically different. Albert is always focused on his "goals". Where Alex succeeded in her goal and she seems to have pleasures in what she does. So she's basically doing it all for fun now. I'm not sure if she even has any actual plans other than making the world cower in fear and kissing her shoes. It's all fun and games for her. As for Albert. I think he'll still be motivated by something, potentially something other than just "more power". I would welcome his return if he found a new purpose. I'd hate to see him shoe horned in because of fans demanding him.

PS. Breath of the Wild is going to be phenomenal!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Actually, we are talking about it. I posted that same link in another thread, then lorddemolatron (who apparently didn't see it) posted it again in the same thread, and now you. But I guess we should indeed have opened a separate thread for this.

So unless the Wesker we defeated in RE5 was actually a clone as the article considers possible (which I don't think or else Alex would have known), it's going to get very ridiculous. I mean, what does it take to kill this guy? A black hole? Then again, RE wouldn't be RE without some mystery, so I'm looking forward to any news regarding this.

Buuut: If Wesker is actually still there after being decapitated by two flying rockets while submerged in lava while also being infected with a virus that is sensitive to heat, I never want to hear anyone say that Piers couldn't possibly have survived the underwater base ever again. (I probably will, but I won't take it seriously at all.)

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Has Capcom said anything on where this game sits in the canon, if at all?
Chances are probably better that he was resurrected for the spin-off so people wouldn't complain about his exclusion.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Has Capcom said anything on where this game sits in the canon, if at all?
Chances are probably better that he was resurrected for the spin-off so people wouldn't complain about his exclusion.

I think they said it takes place after RE6, though I'm not too sure but there was a video where they did say that the game was canon. But apparently D.C. Douglas had asked if Wesker was really back and the developers said they didn't know because they're just developing this game. So I feel like maybe this game isn't even canon and they just said that to sell the game because how the hell could the game be canon yet they're allowed to just throw Wesker in it and not be sure if it's going anywhere? Sounds really sloppy on Capcom's part.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
No the game is definitely canon and it's been fully confirmed. It takes place after Resident Evil 6 but will follow new characters (presumably). The game has been in development since 2011 I believe it was? And due for a 2013 release date as Capcom wanted to make it an annual series. After the performance of RE6 they changed their minds. REVII must have gone through 3-4... if not more different builds. Just like RE4 did. There was a article in 2014 (can someone PLEASE find this?!?) That was reported by a Japanese media firm that claimed to see the game, saying it was supposed to be shown at E3 2014. They were also the only ones to have rumors that weren't complete bull****, like a new mercs mode with Alice etc. It also happens that most of their claims were true. IE playing with the idea of no guns. Have a sense of paranormal in nature but will be explained RE style. Having a slight Silent Hill feel to it. That it would be scary and nearly unrecognizable to fans at first sight. A return to it's survival horror roots. Only thing they said that hasn't been confirmed, is that the main protagonist is new to the series (at the time of writing) and is a female.

I'm not sure about the main character actually being female. The reason being is because it is in first person and unfortunately a lot of male fans will bitch. I think they are a bunch of morons for being like that, but hey. Capcom won't give a **** about them. Anything is possible.

It's hard to say. Really. There's a few interesting theories.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
What? I'm talking about Umbrella Corps.

Shiiiit that's my bad. Yeah... the Umbrella Corps thing seems to be more of an easter egg than anything. I've beaten The Experiment pretty much right after I got the game. I don't get why people think much of it. Even D.C. Douglas said that he knows nothing about Albert's return and seemed to suggest it was nothing more than an easter egg. He voiced "The Agent" in the game. So why not have some fun? Canon or not. Games give us fun references like this all the time.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
To be honest I have a hard time seeing Umbrella Corps sitting in the canon comfortably... Because of that I'm not too surprised on the Wesker thing. He is a fan favorite after all. Hell I believe that's the only reason they gave him a son in RE6.

lorddemolatron

CP and BP fan forever
Well thats still depend on Capcom if he is back, on mine similiar thread but in RE 7 part of forum well i stated some of things on this too and had info from RE Rev 2 JP where apparently Raid mode could suggest that Alex Wesker cloned Albert but well we still need more info of this possibly happening, well beside uhm i been from time to time Wesker fan too.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
To be honest I have a hard time seeing Umbrella Corps sitting in the canon comfortably... Because of that I'm not too surprised on the Wesker thing. He is a fan favorite after all. Hell I believe that's the only reason they gave him a son in RE6.

It's canon. I've always got the easter egg vibe from that bit. There was nothing really suggesting otherwise and I'm taken back that people believe otherwise. It would be awesome for him to come back but some substantial evidence as minor as it may be would be nice. @lorddemolatron brings up an interesting point about the Gregor Project and we've talked about that :p I'm very skeptical and on the fence about that one. I also don't know if I really want a "clone" who would likely be a one game villain for Jake or something stupid. I've just never been a fan of clones in general. Why replace a gaming legend with a nobody that wears the same face? It just ****es me off thinking about it. But like I said, I never been a fan of clones unless it makes sense. Star Wars makes sense with the Clone Wars and the Metal Gear Solid games make sense. They push the narrative forward without appealing to fans for a quick buck. Cloning Albert is just an excuse to boost sales. At least in my eyes.

Back to the Umbrella Corps "Wesker's back" stuff. I highly recommend you reading D.C. Douglas's take on the perspective. It's a fantastic read and kind of reflects on how I've always felt on the matter. I mean if you're going to hire the guy to play a new character. Why wouldn't you throw in an easter egg like that? To me that's just common sense. Then again who knows, he doesn't know unless he's covering it up. Which I kind of want to doubt since he's been talking about wanting to be Wesker again for as long as the fans have.

What I do know is that easter eggs need to be placed well. The obvious hidden ones are really cool and make us gamers excited inside. Finding the Frostmourne in that Wolverine game was a favorite of mine. It was also obvious. There are some games that seems to be observed that gamers do not recognize an easter eggs and believes it to be canon. This can change their perspective of a game and can even change the entire narrative and meaning behind the game. Sometimes it is the gamers fault for not catching it or recognizing the difference. In other cases, more often than not. It's actually the developers fault for misplacing it. A developers mindset is different from a gamers and certain design elements are in place to communicate the obvious to the player. Sometimes the obvious will go over the heads of the player if the developer has their own guidelines and way of doing things. The most common example of this is alternative endings that often have little surprises that are out of line of the actual game (no I am not referring to any RE game here) In some cases even playing around with cut content and cool little extra fan nods can give hopes up. This very well might not be the case for Umbrella Corps. It may or may not be. A developer saying it's fully canon does add to confusion, rather this little piece should be obvious or not. Much worse has been taken for granted xD

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
It's canon. I've always got the easter egg vibe from that bit. There was nothing really suggesting otherwise and I'm taken back that people believe otherwise. It would be awesome for him to come back but some substantial evidence as minor as it may be would be nice.

Is there some sort of evidence that says it's canon? I'll be honest, I really don't care all that much considering I probably wont even remember this game in 2017, lol. As for Wesker. I'd prefer for him to stay dead. I may not be the biggest RE5 fan but bringing him back would not only make that games plot even more flimsy. Not only that it would really ****ter the weight that death as a concept holds for these characters imo. I've always hated that in most stories... but that's just me I guess...

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Is there some sort of evidence that says it's canon? I'll be honest, I really don't care all that much considering I probably wont even remember this game in 2017, lol. As for Wesker. I'd prefer for him to stay dead. I may not be the biggest RE5 fan but bringing him back would not only make that games plot even more flimsy. Not only that it would really ****ter the weight that death as a concept holds for these characters imo. I've always hated that in most stories... but that's just me I guess...

Yeah they said it's canon. It just doesn't seem to impact the story much, from what we know of at least. One of the companies involved is Shenya corporation which is mentioned Heavenly Island. I'm not sure if we will learn of them in REVII or not. From what little we know about them, it's speculated that they could be Umbrella's rival company that we learned of in RE2. They are also Chinese btw. There is hardly a mention of them in the game and if Umbrella is actually back. Which is hinted in REVII as well. Who's behind it? It's very likely to be that female who we hear on the phone next to the photograph. Unless she just works there but she sounds a little more than just an "employee".

I agree. ****tering the death of a character like that is just dumb. It's understandable in some cases if it makes sense. Or if it's something so long running, like a comic book that's been around for 30+ years. Sometimes it's a good thing. If they can take it and make a better story with it, then it's fine. I mean look at Coulson in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. He didn't have much depth before the show and now they are really fleshing him out. Getting the attention that he always deserved.

Top Bottom