• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Thing (1982) reboot in production

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Ihorror just posted an article in which they've said there is a new The Thing reboot in production with John Carpenter involved, unlike with the 2011 The Thing. They have not revealed whether or not this would be a sequel, prequel or true remake. I've listed the link below as I'm having issues embedding them in text for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member 21244

Ihorror just posted an article in which they've said there is a new The Thing reboot in production with John Carpenter involved, unlike with the 2011 The Thing. They have not revealed whether or not this would be a sequel, prequel or true remake. I've listed the link below as I'm having issues embedding them in text for whatever reason.

The thing (1982) is my favorite film of all time, i really hope this reboot will be some sort of sequel, maybe set like 30 years later or more, whith new character and actor but will have connection to the 1982 one and maybe and old Kurt Russell will happear as some sort of supporting character or else...

It can be good, let's see what they are up to... The 2011 was "ok" but not even near the masterpiece it was the 1982 one, i hope this one will be better

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I actually liked the 2011 The Thing. Don't get me wrong, I liked the 1982 version also. I think it's unfortunate that they leaned so far into the CGI thing in the 2011 version because as I understand it, they actually had a lot of practical stuff like the 1982 version did. I guess they just ran into some problems and ended up using heavy CGI even though I don't think that was the original intention.

Part of me wants this to be an actual remake of the 1982 version because that movie WAS amazing, only some of the effects make it easier to laugh at than be scared. At the same time, I'm not sure what else could really be expanded upon from the 1982 version.

It would be kind of cool to see a sequel since we already know the events of the 1982 and 2011 versions. Logically they should go into a more modern day future in order to show the progression of The Thing, perhaps after it escapes the base. OR they would have to go even further back in time and go into more of the lore of The Thing but I feel like the mystery of the alien is one of the things that make it so scary.

D

Deleted member 21244

I actually liked the 2011 The Thing. Don't get me wrong, I liked the 1982 version also. I think it's unfortunate that they leaned so far into the CGI thing in the 2011 version because as I understand it, they actually had a lot of practical stuff like the 1982 version did. I guess they just ran into some problems and ended up using heavy CGI even though I don't think that was the original intention.

Part of me wants this to be an actual remake of the 1982 version because that movie WAS amazing, only some of the effects make it easier to laugh at than be scared. At the same time, I'm not sure what else could really be expanded upon from the 1982 version.

It would be kind of cool to see a sequel since we already know the events of the 1982 and 2011 versions. Logically they should go into a more modern day future in order to show the progression of The Thing, perhaps after it escapes the base. OR they would have to go even further back in time and go into more of the lore of The Thing but I feel like the mystery of the alien is one of the things that make it so scary.
Yeah i like the 2011 one too...
If i remember right, some of the producer of the movie didn't like the practical effect (despite them being amazingly done) because they felt the movie would have looked too old for modern day, they wanted to make the movie more like a modern one whit cgi and ****, so they practically say **** off to that beautiful practical effect and decided to adopt cgi at the last second, something the director and the one that made the effect didn't approved at all and they were pretty angry about it...

Returning to the reboot, maybe a sequel set in another different location whit other people discovering this alien life form could be great....
Or some sequel like aliens, set like 30 years later, where this people lose contact whit a base set near the old one, and they sent this group of soldier to find out what was going on and they send Kurt Russell too as a supervisor like they did whith Ripley in aliens...

Or maybe a prequel, set century before the first movie, where this alien life form come in contact whit older civilization...
There is so much to explore and so many ideas

I really hope they will never explain the mistery behind this alien, the 2011 was pretty respectful toward this, the mistery remain...
That's why i don't like the alien prequels that much because they try to explain the mistery behind the alien, i don't really give a sxxxx about it, that's not the purpose of a pure horror movie, what I loved about this movie was always the mistery, but when the truth is revealed the mistery will disappear and the movie will lose a lot of charm for me...

Another excellent sequel was blade runner 2049, who expanded the universe but continue to respect the mistery behind many question...

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Sounds about right, studios like CGI over practical effects.

I'm not sure how I would feel about a sequel set 30 years in the future with another base. I feel like after the first 2 doing that it would start to get a little stale. It would be the same story rehashed a third time.

As for that prequel idea, that's not so bad. Seeing how a less advanced civilization dealt with the alien organism would be interesting, especially with less advancements in science to lead them to understand that it can infect a person at a microscopic level.

I'm still curious what it would be like on a larger scale like a city and they could give a sense of how the aliens actually act around a large group of the same creature. It could almost be like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I could see how this would be way out there though, just fun to think about.

D

Deleted member 21244

Sounds about right, studios like CGI over practical effects.

I'm not sure how I would feel about a sequel set 30 years in the future with another base. I feel like after the first 2 doing that it would start to get a little stale. It would be the same story rehashed a third time.

As for that prequel idea, that's not so bad. Seeing how a less advanced civilization dealt with the alien organism would be interesting, especially with less advancements in science to lead them to understand that it can infect a person at a microscopic level.

I'm still curious what it would be like on a larger scale like a city and they could give a sense of how the aliens actually act around a large group of the same creature. It could almost be like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I could see how this would be way out there though, just fun to think about.
That sound nice, set into a large city could be interesting, something like predator 2

By tje the way, did you ever played the thing videogame? It was a good game in my opinion

D

Deleted member 21244

Unfortunately no, I didn't.
It was a really great game whit an amazing graphic for the time, good gameplay and atmosphere, close to the movie, also the story was interesting, set after the first movie ... If i remember right it was the first game to implement flash light and lighting on a new lvl, i would really love to play it again

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Sounds pretty cool. I have heard of it for sure but it always was off my gaming radar. I'll have to look into it one of these days. I also still want to play the Evil Dead game which I never did, but I've heard they are making a newer one with Bruce Campbell playing Ash again.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
If John Carpenter's involved, I'll definitely give it a shot. Though...I REALLY hope there's more practical effects than the passable 2011 film. I have more faith in this than the travesty that will be the Escape from New York remake.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I definitely don’t want them to do a remake, especially when the 1982 movie is damn near perfect- even by today’s standards.

Carpenter’s involvement does have me hopeful for something decent to come of this. I also agree that they should go with a different setting from Antarctica. Maybe a desert type of setting? Perhaps during an archeological dig and the scientists come across a civilization wiped out from the creature only to have remnants still survive and begin to spread again.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
If they can bring something new to the table, sure why not. That's what a good remake does, it reinvents rather than tries to copy the same film albeit with modern special effects.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
If they can bring something new to the table, sure why not. That's what a good remake does, it reinvents rather than tries to copy the same film albeit with modern special effects.
Fair, and I'd wager modern effects are worse than the ingenuity of practical effects.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Version? Wasn't the 2011 film a direct prequel to the 1982 film?

Yes it was although for whatever reason I still regularly see it called a remake, probably by people who haven't seen it, and it doesn't really bother me enough to argue the fact. Either way, I liked it.

Awebb

Yeah, I mean that's kind of important to the whole perception of the film. There was a continuity and now it's gone. A reboot means they probably throw the 2011 prequel over board completely and start from scratch. Considering the fact, that the 1982 version was already the second movie based on the same source, it is interesting to see, that the 1982 movie is the inspiration and not the source itself.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
You are right. The article suggests that the 1982 The Thing is the inspiration of the remake, or at least that is the one that they kept heavily advertising. To be honest it hadn't even occurred to me that they might use the original as inspiration, but I also never hear it mentioned.

Top Bottom