• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The one change nobody has ever mentioned...

rocklikebrucelee

This change from the original REs to the new ones was so important, but not many magazines ever mentioned it. It was always "enemies now drop ammo", "no more zombies", "you buy the guns this time", "new camera style gameplay".

BUT, the one thing EVERYBODY forgot was the ability to go back to a previous location. In previous RE titles, even if you were far into the game, you could still go back to where it all started. In the new ones, those areas are cut off, forcing you to keep going, and not backtrack (minus some parts of RE4). Could this be one of the reasons RE has lost it's distinctive feel? Could this be one of the reasons everybody sees the new REs as whole new games? :\ Forgive me if I forgot anything, I was just making an observation.

bruno

Chief Researcher
In RE2, once you cross the RPD gate, can you go back to the street? I think they say "I can hear the moanings from here, I shouldn't go outside". In RE 3, once you ride the cable car, you can't go back to the beginning. In CV, once you get to the anctartic, you can't return to rockfort... I dunno about RE1 because i never played it.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
In RE1 once you go to the underground lab, you cannot go back to the mansion, at least I don't remember that...but you pointed out some good ones.:)

In RE4 you not only have the option to go back sometimes, but there are plenty of parts where you explore the same part of the village, like when it was dark outside.

Levan

Polkka. lol
Actually I think you could still get back to the mansion once you get to the laboratory.

For me, this fact really isn't as much as a big change, plus with the chapter select, you can always backtrack again. Like what the others said, even the older games(such as RE1-3) have circumstances where you can't go back to the place you went before.

Hoady

Not really if anything i'd rather not backtrack because i can easily get confused running through all the rooms or if i've missed something i hate having to run back through rooms when i don't know where or how to get it.

L

Lurker
well, i have you a little there. you couldnt visit the caverns again in re1. thats my most hated part but at least it is short. well re1 you could backtrack alot but its not like the enemies are the same right? like the hunters, skinless zombies, and the scary cerebruses and zombies coming in from the ceiling and window. im not mentioning chimeras cause you dont backtrack to them.

And in re2 there were tons of circumstances where you cant backtrack. re3 had those circumstances to.

CVX you could backtrack til a main point, like the antartic. and as chris you had the same circumstances.

survivor and all the rails you could not.

finnaly, in re4 you had main points again. re5 i cant rate on this.

P.S. i think you couldnt backtrack in gaiden.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well I don't mind backtracking sometimes, but I don't think the game being good is determined by whether you can backtrack...

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
rocklikebrucelee;46434 said:
This change from the original REs to the new ones was so important, but not many magazines ever mentioned it. It was always "enemies now drop ammo", "no more zombies", "you buy the guns this time", "new camera style gameplay".

BUT, the one thing EVERYBODY forgot was the ability to go back to a previous location. In previous RE titles, even if you were far into the game, you could still go back to where it all started. In the new ones, those areas are cut off, forcing you to keep going, and not backtrack (minus some parts of RE4). Could this be one of the reasons RE has lost it's distinctive feel? Could this be one of the reasons everybody sees the new REs as whole new games? :\ Forgive me if I forgot anything, I was just making an observation.
The ability to backtrack, is it really that important? I don't see how this can be the reason why RE have lost something.

Spike991;46453 said:
In RE4 you not only have the option to go back sometimes, but there are plenty of parts where you explore the same part of the village, like when it was dark outside.
You go through Pueblo three times, and each time new items has spawned. :)

Captain Courageous;46467 said:
Not really if anything i'd rather not backtrack because i can easily get confused running through all the rooms or if i've missed something i hate having to run back through rooms when i don't know where or how to get it.
I suppose you don't have to backtrack just because it's possible.. =]

Spike991;46483 said:
Well I don't mind backtracking sometimes, but I don't think the game being good is determined by whether you can backtrack...
Good point. It may be neat to have that possibility if you can't carry all the goodies you found in one area. Then you can backtrack later and pick them up. But this doesn't make or break the game.

rocklikebrucelee

Rathit;46473 said:
well, i have you a little there. you couldnt visit the caverns again in re1. thats my most hated part but at least it is short. well re1 you could backtrack alot but its not like the enemies are the same right? like the hunters, skinless zombies, and the scary cerebruses and zombies coming in from the ceiling and window. im not mentioning chimeras cause you dont backtrack to them.

And in re2 there were tons of circumstances where you cant backtrack. re3 had those circumstances to.

CVX you could backtrack til a main point, like the antartic. and as chris you had the same circumstances.

survivor and all the rails you could not.

finnaly, in re4 you had main points again. re5 i cant rate on this.

P.S. i think you couldnt backtrack in gaiden.

Well what i mean is it helps develop that feeling...that "OH ****! *smacks head* I could've had a V-Jolt!" lol nah that feeling where you forget something, and you have to go ALL the way back. Sometimes you have to leave an important weapon for a key item or something, and you have to depend on your survival knife, cheap handgun...etc.
Then you forgot where you left it, and you're like "damn! where'd I leave that thing?!" and you start panicking.

Levan

Polkka. lol
You won't worry where you left an important weapon since when you store it, your magical storage box will follow you wherever safe room you go. :p

rocklikebrucelee

Levan;46545 said:
You won't worry where you left an important weapon since when you store it, your magical storage box will follow you wherever safe room you go. :p

On easy mode... :O And in RE0 you kinda HAD to leave your weapons behind. But then, you could always look at the map to find them...hmmm....

Shoot Them InThe Head

I think it was the fact that you needed to remember each room.. If you found something in one room, this object is needed to open something in another room a good bit back..

Furthermore, when you backtracked you didnt expect to run into anything again..

Examples:
(1) RE1: When returning to the mansion, it's filled with hunters as opposed to zombies.

(2) RE3: When backtracking through the city from the tram to get the missing parts, I never expected to run into Nemesis again. I was thinking why nemesis would backtrack himself in his search if all i was doing throughout was moving forward.

Resident evil 4 had backtrackig like returning to pueblo or returning to the castle if you wanted the broken butterfly for free..

RE5 was missing this and maybe that is why it seemed shorter than the other installments. Re5 had several location whereas the others had 2-3 main areas..

anyone agree?!

rocklikebrucelee

Well, in the older games, it gave you a sense that you're in a huge place, and you can go everywhere you want to as long as you have the right key. the newer ones...well...have levels "stages". it's like level 1, level 2, level 3 and so on. The older ones were just one huge setting, and you could explore the whole thing, and go back in case you missed something. You CANT miss key items in the new ones because they're needed to go to the next stage.

Top Bottom