• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Silent Hill Info dump *SPOILERS AHEAD*

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Okay this topic is made in direct response to @LEON.S.KENNEDY

While I am a fan of Resident Evil, I am also a die hard fan of the core Silent Hill games. Brace yourselves because it's going to be a long one...

Spirit part it is bro!!! If you do recall silent hill series all bout evil spirit hunted the twon!! With a twist of protagonist own story!!! If you cant comperhend what i just say here is few examples to support my claims! After all silent hill residents didnt die becuse of T vires and turned them to a zombie horde

1.silent hill origins:travis uses mirror to transport himself from real world to the other before that the lil girl appeared inside the mirror zombies monsters etc cant do that also the girl itself

2:silent hill 2 james sunderland receved a letter from his wife which happend shes dead kinda spiritual right?
3:silent hill4 the room:when henry enter the hole or nobody hear whats inside his apartment or noises coming out of it? Not to mention the other world????

Thats few examples for you from many hope my point was clear

I want to make somethings about Silent Hill clear-

Spirit part it is bro!!! If you do recall silent hill series all bout evil spirit hunted the twon!!
On the contrary my friend. Evil spirits are not haunting the town. What ever gave you that idea? o_O Silent Hill's focus is on the supernatural not the paranormal. The only title that can really fit that description is Downpour. However the original titles? Not so much. At most you could say there is a spiritual energy looming over the town related to the Natives and the gods they worshiped way back when they inhabited said lands.
sh%20tribe_zpsxejdmbvn.png

sh%20tribe.png

sh%20tribe.png

sh%20tribe.png

However at no point during the core games are there ghostly happenings in the typical sense.

With a twist of protagonist own story!!! If you cant comperhend what i just say here is few examples to support my claims! After all silent hill residents didnt die becuse of T vires and turned them to a zombie horde
Okay this is a misconception I see all too often. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that the strange happenings are all linked to the protagonists of these games. I want to make something abundantly clear. I'm going to only be focusing on the core games here and talk about the spin offs afterwards because the core games SH1, 2, 3 and 4 The Room, were made by the same staff.

teamsilentpyk9w.png

TRSHE3-Graph.jpg

In Silent Hill, these "happenings" of strange occurrences are not always directly tied to the protagonist. In fact that has only really happened once and that was with James Sunderland from SH2. As for the residences of Silent Hill, there aren't really many by the time SH 1 kicks off. Silent Hill is a small resort town located in Maine that has been over run by cultist. The boating incident had driven tourist away and hurt its economy. Stories about the cultist running around are usually kept secret however and after the events of SH 1 and during SH2, reconstruction begins in an attempt to have things flourishing again.

Now back to the "tied to the protagonist" bit in a bit as I feel this next one is important-

1.silent hill origins:travis uses mirror to transport himself from real world to the other before that the lil girl appeared inside the mirror zombies monsters etc cant do that
That little girl is Alessa Gillespie.
187547-240px_alessa_large.jpg

(As seen in SH1)

She's the epicenter the these otherworld occurrences. I don't really see what zombies and monsters have to do with anything but... okay? What needs to be said here is that Silent Hill Origins plot falls completely flat for a number of reasons. Of course this was the first western attempt at a Silent Hill and sadly it failed at fitting itself into canon comfortably. There are a plethora of inconsistencies and plot holes that really hurt it. Here's a synopsis for SH1:

Here's what we learn about Alessa in SH1. Alessa is the seven year old daughter of one of the cults biggest influences, Dahlia Gillespie. Alessa never had a happy childhood and was a social outcast from most of the children in her school. However what she did have were heightened sense that made her borderline psychic. What the cultist were on a mission to do was bring about the birth of their god by influencing the spiritual energy that already exists in Silent Hill along with their own use of black magic so to speak. However manipulating the towns energy proved too difficult. This is where things get twisted. Seeing that her daughter had powers of her own, Dahlia came up with an idea that would proved successful. They'll use Alessa as an incubator by impregnating her with a demons seed, and slowly allow it feed off of her suffering til maturity. They preformed the ritual in the Gillespie home in their basement. However what they didn't count on was Alessa's powers to go haywire caused by her stress level. This caused the boiler in their basement to explode! As well as destroy their home and set an entire neighborhood ablaze. Alessa nearly died and Dahlia's plan nearly failed. However being the quick thinker, Dahlia had a plan B. Meanwhile Alessa is hospitalized suffering third degree burns all over her body. One of the nurses that was taking care of her was Lisa Garland, a young 23 year old woman with a soft heart. She did the best she could to make things comfortable for Alessa while she was there and Alessa appreciated her for that, however what Lisa saw shook her world... then things got bad. As for Dahlia's plan B, the truth of the matter is Alessa would in fact be dead. Lisa laments that Alessa's pulse was faint, everytime she removed the bandages blood and pus would come oozing out. The truth was Dahlia and here followers were using black magic to sustain Alessa long enough for her to birth their god, then they wouldn't need her anymore. However Alessa was cunning and was one step ahead of them. Using her psychic powers she was able to split her soul in half during the fire and transferred it to the edge of the town and out of Dahlia's line of sight. The purpose of this was that now Alessa was half a shell of a human being and that subsequently split made their god only half of an entity as well so feeding off of Alessa's powers would be impossible. This angered Dahlia who had to come up with yet another plan to nourish their god until they can find the other half. They decided to place Alessa in a never ending nightmare while she lay comatose. This torture would keep their god alive and well for the time being, however this sadly continued for 7 years. As for the other half? Well Alessa put it in the form of a baby and left it on the outskirts. Harry Mason (an inspired novelist) and wife happened to be heading to Silent Hill for a vacation when they spotted the infant by the side of the road. They pick her up and head back home to alert the authorities. For the next 7 years, Harry would raise this child as his own daughter and after the passing of his wife decides to finally take that vacation they were to take 7 years ago only this time, bring his daughter. This was Harry's biggest mistake. You see his daughter was an aspect of Alessa. One half layed in a coma while the other was safely away from the town. However now that Harry had crossed the bordering line, things were about to change. The spell that left Alessa in a nightmare didn't affect the other half until now however. Because she was conscious and walking around the nightmare wasn't dormant to just her mind. This finally triggered the towns energy and Alessa's nightmare spread across the entire town shifting reality into her deepest, darkest, dreams. At this point it was a race. Dahlia finally had her chance to reunite the two halves and finish what she started. Alessa had her own plans. First seal the town off from the rest of the world using the seal of metatron keeping the cultist away from the rest of the world. Next commit suicide to end both her suffering and to keep their plans from ever coming true. No happy beginnings no happy endings :sad: Harry crashes his car. When he comes to, he notices his daughter is missing. Upon exiting the car and entering the fog, Harry had just gotten himself tangled up in a struggle that was way over his head. Despite the weirdness Harry fights his way through the hordes of monsters in a desperate attempt to find his daughter. Dahlia finds Harry first and sees he's quite competent in fighting off the monsters and decides that she'll manipulate Harry and use him as a trump card to beat Alessa.

And so it goes...

Origins is meant to take place during the 7 years before SH1 and tells us things differently.

• It tells us that Dahlia burns down her house with Alessa inside an attempt to further the ritual. This is false as that would work contrary to what Dahlia wanted. It also doesn't make any sense as external stimulus was never a factor. Heck she was going to die if not for being kept on magical life support.
  • It tells us that the otherworld was around during the 7 years before SH1 and even Travis' mother sees glimpses of it when she stares into a mirror. This is also not possible as the otherworld didn't exist until Alessa's aspect i.e Harry's daughter, Cheryl, had returned to the town.
  • It tells us that the monsters are somehow related to Travis. This again isn't possible and doesn't make sense.
  • It tells us Alessa is in fact evil, can turn transfer people to the nightmare at will and spreads the nightmare maliciously. This is not only false but also not possible. The nightmare and reality shifting of the town was in fact an accident on Alessa's part. She can't drag people into it as it was a part of the spell she is placed under in the first place, not a direct result of her powers. In other words she doesn't have control over it.
  • It tells us Alessa has another projection running around to help Travis. This isn't possible as the splitting can only happen once she split her soul asunder and she doesn't do that until the end of the game. This image of Alessa is just a walking plothole.
  • It tells us that Lisa Garland is a 16 year old nurse at the time she was helping Alessa in the hospital. This is hilariously untrue and I know exactly how they got that impression. During Harry's travels in SH1, during the nightmare transitions, he meets Lisa at the hospital who for some reason seems to be the only person there. She appears normal and is stated to be 23 years old. She never leaves and she doesn't know what's going on. There's a very good reason for this. Lisa Garland has been dead for 7 years. For you see the only way she could deal with the stress over the Alessa situation was drugs. Lisa was a drug addict. Dr. Kaufmann in exchange for her cooperation feeds her the "white claudia" drug (which is what his team sold to the tourists during a drug ring). However the longer she stayed the more dependent on it she became. Lisa at age 23, overdosed and died when Alessa was still 7 years old. Present day Alessa is now 14 and the Lisa Harry meets is nothing more than a memory of her that exists only in Alessa's nightmare. When things start getting really bad she becomes... well...

I still get chocked up at this scene even today. :sad:

• Origins tells us that Kaufmann also gave Lisa the drug in exchange for sex. This is hilariously untrue. It was an even trade of hospital work for drugs. Without it Lisa would have left a long time ago and told the authorities what was going on. Sex never came up.
  • It tells us that there was a second ritual after the fire that takes place behind the antique shop (that Harry and Cybil later find) and this is where the soul split happened. This is in fact false. There was only one attempt and it failed due to the boiler explosion. Alessa took advantage of the fire to split her soul.
  • Origins also shows us the Flauros is a physical demon that can just come out and attack people for whatever reason. This isn't how it worked in SH1. Flauros (like many other things) are based on real world occultism and religious subtext. The Flauros is used to break ones power like when Dahlia uses it.
I can honestly keep going but there really is no need to at this point. Origins taken for what it is, does not follow the canon well at all and can't be used as a reliable source when relating it to the core games lore.

2:silent hill 2 james sunderland receved a letter from his wife which happend shes dead kinda spiritual right?
Umm... you did play Silent Hill 2 right? If so you should know that Mary never sent James a letter from beyond the grave. In fact there was no letter. It was the towns way of messing with James' head and to get him to come. Mary is long dead and James needs to face what he had done.

marys%20letter%201_zpsjgbtlbup.png

marys%20letter%202_zpszb4qcj0c.png

marys%20letter%203_zps6pyxsmya.png

marys%20letter%204_zpsst9xcfab.png

3:silent hill4 the room:when henry enter the hole or nobody hear whats inside his apartment or noises coming out of it? Not to mention the other world????
Alright here we go. This is where things get complicated and also this is where I pick back up from the "tied to the protagonist" bit from earlier.

The beauty of the Silent Hill games is the subtle use of symbolism to tell their stories. I'll get to the Henry part but first I want to tackle the otherworld thing. The term "otherworld" is an umbrella term completely fabricated by Harry Mason (not umbrella as in resident evil of course) If you notice, no one else calls it that. You could easily replace the word "otherworld" with the term "nightmare transition". Harry explains exactly what's going on here in a few short sentences.
otherworld_zpsouaiiznp.png~original

othw1_zpsfaaefmfh.png

othw2_zpszqjjddbj.png

The nightmares in each of the four games are all different and as a result never recycle monsters. In the first game the nightmare belongs to Alessa
ehxlxl.png

and is directly tied to her fears and phobias. In the second game Alessa is dead and the effects of that game still linger. Though the power is nowhere near as strong as it was in the first game, the town now has the ability to call out to people with darkness in their hearts and who have past ties to it. The nightmare in the second game starts off as just James'.
james-sunderland-503.jpg

Each figure including Maria (a sexier version of his wife) and The red pyramid thing, each represent his repressed transgressions and guilt. It is when he comes to terms that the pyramid head kills itself since it is no longer needed. In the third game we follow Heather Mason, daughter of Harry Mason and another aspect of Alessa that got to live her own life after Alessa and Dahlia's passing. However over the 17 years the cult had been picking themselves up and with a new face, move their plans. Heather being a reincarnation, thus means the god within her is also reincarnated. This time around Claudia Wolf
claudia.jpg

in exchange for her eternal damnation once paradise is found, uses her faith to awaken the dorment seed within Heather. As a result the nightmare sequences are directly tied to her and Alessa's past experiences. And finally in the fourth title, we have Walter Sullivan.
20120511-144906.jpg

Walter is a homeless religious fanatic and was raised in the orphanage that the cultist used as a camp to raise children to follow their teachings. Walter was born in South Ashfield apartments where the protagonist Henry stays. He made his life following Dahlia's teachings via the act of murder. The deal was to separate their body and soul which represent a certain item that is required to bring about a demon that represents Walters mother. Instead of impregnation of a person he used South Ashfield as a surrogate. All the strange reality shifting come from his darkest dreams which is why he's able to pull people from their conscious mind while they sleep into his own, where he continues his hunt and live despite being dead in real life.

The truth is Henry doesn't enter any actual holes. Pay close to the dialogue in SH4 as it's one of the most misleading. Henry wakes up after every travel because he physically hasn't gone anywhere. People can't hear him in his apartment because the reality shifting nightmare still applies here. When Cynthia is sleeping in the subway, her mind enters Walters dream and her murders her there. Her body dies and her soul gets to stay forever in his nightmare. The symbolism is quite effective. The apartment is the womb and the hole Henry crawls out of represents birth as it plays a huge role with Walters backstory.

Hope I cleared some things up. Sorry it's so long. Feel free to ask or challenge anything you don't agree on. I'm a Silent Hill fanatic and I love discussing it.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Nice thread, my personal favorite is Silent Hill ****tered Memories. Really underrated and I think it's the most logical SH game, the storyline and the ending legit got me in the feels. SH 4, Downpour, and Homecoming are also great.

Last edited:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Nice thread, my personal favorite is Silent Hill ****tered Memories. Really underrated and I think it's the most logical SH game, the storyline and the ending legit got me in the feels. SH 4, Downpour, and Homecoming are also great.
Thanks I appreciate that. Looking back at it I have pages more that I can put but I'm just too lazy lol.

****tered Memories? Honestly I think it was the best of the post team silent games. The voice acting was phenomenal, the environments were put together nicely and the puzzles made pretty good use of the wii's motion controls. I hear people complain that it's not responsive sometimes but I've only had a few instances where it wouldn't work as it should. That said I did have a couple of problems with it. The characters were quite bland compared to their original counter parts, while the wii controls were nice the actual game play was kind of boring after an hour. It just wasn't scary for me either. The monster design was pretty laughable since it was basically just a naked guy with a missing face and I'll admit the atmosphere wasn't as great as the originals either. There were tons of people in the town so that killed sense of isolation and monsters only appear when things freeze over, so I can never be surprised about my next encounter. Admittedly I did enjoy some parts of the story though I felt it was a bit of blatancy in a lot of areas. The psychiatry parts kind of broke the momentum for me a bit and I really found them cheesy. The symbolism that made the original stories a joy to figure out was all but missing and the frightening/disturbing elements of sex and death was missing completely. There was also the fact that if you weren't under the impression that Dr. Kaufmann was talking to Harry the story looses that mystery.

Wow I guess I have a lot of problems with ****tered Memories than I thought looking back at it... It doesn't help that there isn't much replay value. I guess if I were to just judge it as a game on its own, it's alright to me. Maybe a 6/10. I love the music score if anything. It matched the mood well I think. Also I think it's easily one of the best looking wii games. Sadly I don't have as many nice things to say about Downpour and Homecoming. Well I guess I do have one... I think they're both better than Book of Memories by a large margin.

I think I rank them like this:
  1. Silent Hill 3
  2. Silent Hill 2/Silent Hill 1
  3. Silent Hill 4 The Room
  4. Silent Hill ****tered Memories
  5. Silent Hill Origins
  6. Silent Hill Downpour
  7. Silent Hill Homecoming
  8. Silent Hill Book of Memories

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
Okay this topic is made in direct response to @LEON.S.KENNEDY

While I am a fan of Resident Evil, I am also a die hard fan of the core Silent Hill games. Brace yourselves because it's going to be a long one...

I want to make somethings about Silent Hill clear-

On the contrary my friend. Evil spirits are not haunting the town. What ever gave you that idea? o_O Silent Hill's focus is on the supernatural not the paranormal. The only title that can really fit that description is Downpour. However the original titles? Not so much. At most you could say there is a spiritual energy looming over the town related to the Natives and the gods they worshiped way back when they inhabited said lands.
sh%20tribe_zpsxejdmbvn.png

sh%20tribe.png

sh%20tribe.png

sh%20tribe.png

However at no point during the core games are there ghostly happenings in the typical sense.

Okay this is a misconception I see all too often. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that the strange happenings are all linked to the protagonists of these games. I want to make something abundantly clear. I'm going to only be focusing on the core games here and talk about the spin offs afterwards because the core games SH1, 2, 3 and 4 The Room, were made by the same staff.

teamsilentpyk9w.png

TRSHE3-Graph.jpg

In Silent Hill, these "happenings" of strange occurrences are not always directly tied to the protagonist. In fact that has only really happened once and that was with James Sunderland from SH2. As for the residences of Silent Hill, there aren't really many by the time SH 1 kicks off. Silent Hill is a small resort town located in Maine that has been over run by cultist. The boating incident had driven tourist away and hurt its economy. Stories about the cultist running around are usually kept secret however and after the events of SH 1 and during SH2, reconstruction begins in an attempt to have things flourishing again.

Now back to the "tied to the protagonist" bit in a bit as I feel this next one is important-

That little girl is Alessa Gillespie.
187547-240px_alessa_large.jpg

(As seen in SH1)

She's the epicenter the these otherworld occurrences. I don't really see what zombies and monsters have to do with anything but... okay? What needs to be said here is that Silent Hill Origins plot falls completely flat for a number of reasons. Of course this was the first western attempt at a Silent Hill and sadly it failed at fitting itself into canon comfortably. There are a plethora of inconsistencies and plot holes that really hurt it. Here's a synopsis for SH1:

Here's what we learn about Alessa in SH1. Alessa is the seven year old daughter of one of the cults biggest influences, Dahlia Gillespie. Alessa never had a happy childhood and was a social outcast from most of the children in her school. However what she did have were heightened sense that made her borderline psychic. What the cultist were on a mission to do was bring about the birth of their god by influencing the spiritual energy that already exists in Silent Hill along with their own use of black magic so to speak. However manipulating the towns energy proved too difficult. This is where things get twisted. Seeing that her daughter had powers of her own, Dahlia came up with an idea that would proved successful. They'll use Alessa as an incubator by impregnating her with a demons seed, and slowly allow it feed off of her suffering til maturity. They preformed the ritual in the Gillespie home in their basement. However what they didn't count on was Alessa's powers to go haywire caused by her stress level. This caused the boiler in their basement to explode! As well as destroy their home and set an entire neighborhood ablaze. Alessa nearly died and Dahlia's plan nearly failed. However being the quick thinker, Dahlia had a plan B. Meanwhile Alessa is hospitalized suffering third degree burns all over her body. One of the nurses that was taking care of her was Lisa Garland, a young 23 year old woman with a soft heart. She did the best she could to make things comfortable for Alessa while she was there and Alessa appreciated her for that, however what Lisa saw shook her world... then things got bad. As for Dahlia's plan B, the truth of the matter is Alessa would in fact be dead. Lisa laments that Alessa's pulse was faint, everytime she removed the bandages blood and pus would come oozing out. The truth was Dahlia and here followers were using black magic to sustain Alessa long enough for her to birth their god, then they wouldn't need her anymore. However Alessa was cunning and was one step ahead of them. Using her psychic powers she was able to split her soul in half during the fire and transferred it to the edge of the town and out of Dahlia's line of sight. The purpose of this was that now Alessa was half a shell of a human being and that subsequently split made their god only half of an entity as well so feeding off of Alessa's powers would be impossible. This angered Dahlia who had to come up with yet another plan to nourish their god until they can find the other half. They decided to place Alessa in a never ending nightmare while she lay comatose. This torture would keep their god alive and well for the time being, however this sadly continued for 7 years. As for the other half? Well Alessa put it in the form of a baby and left it on the outskirts. Harry Mason (an inspired novelist) and wife happened to be heading to Silent Hill for a vacation when they spotted the infant by the side of the road. They pick her up and head back home to alert the authorities. For the next 7 years, Harry would raise this child as his own daughter and after the passing of his wife decides to finally take that vacation they were to take 7 years ago only this time, bring his daughter. This was Harry's biggest mistake. You see his daughter was an aspect of Alessa. One half layed in a coma while the other was safely away from the town. However now that Harry had crossed the bordering line, things were about to change. The spell that left Alessa in a nightmare didn't affect the other half until now however. Because she was conscious and walking around the nightmare wasn't dormant to just her mind. This finally triggered the towns energy and Alessa's nightmare spread across the entire town shifting reality into her deepest, darkest, dreams. At this point it was a race. Dahlia finally had her chance to reunite the two halves and finish what she started. Alessa had her own plans. First seal the town off from the rest of the world using the seal of metatron keeping the cultist away from the rest of the world. Next commit suicide to end both her suffering and to keep their plans from ever coming true. No happy beginnings no happy endings :sad: Harry crashes his car. When he comes to, he notices his daughter is missing. Upon exiting the car and entering the fog, Harry had just gotten himself tangled up in a struggle that was way over his head. Despite the weirdness Harry fights his way through the hordes of monsters in a desperate attempt to find his daughter. Dahlia finds Harry first and sees he's quite competent in fighting off the monsters and decides that she'll manipulate Harry and use him as a trump card to beat Alessa.

And so it goes...

Origins is meant to take place during the 7 years before SH1 and tells us things differently.

• It tells us that Dahlia burns down her house with Alessa inside an attempt to further the ritual. This is false as that would work contrary to what Dahlia wanted. It also doesn't make any sense as external stimulus was never a factor. Heck she was going to die if not for being kept on magical life support.
  • It tells us that the otherworld was around during the 7 years before SH1 and even Travis' mother sees glimpses of it when she stares into a mirror. This is also not possible as the otherworld didn't exist until Alessa's aspect i.e Harry's daughter, Cheryl, had returned to the town.
  • It tells us that the monsters are somehow related to Travis. This again isn't possible and doesn't make sense.
  • It tells us Alessa is in fact evil, can turn transfer people to the nightmare at will and spreads the nightmare maliciously. This is not only false but also not possible. The nightmare and reality shifting of the town was in fact an accident on Alessa's part. She can't drag people into it as it was a part of the spell she is placed under in the first place, not a direct result of her powers. In other words she doesn't have control over it.
  • It tells us Alessa has another projection running around to help Travis. This isn't possible as the splitting can only happen once she split her soul asunder and she doesn't do that until the end of the game. This image of Alessa is just a walking plothole.
  • It tells us that Lisa Garland is a 16 year old nurse at the time she was helping Alessa in the hospital. This is hilariously untrue and I know exactly how they got that impression. During Harry's travels in SH1, during the nightmare transitions, he meets Lisa at the hospital who for some reason seems to be the only person there. She appears normal and is stated to be 23 years old. She never leaves and she doesn't know what's going on. There's a very good reason for this. Lisa Garland has been dead for 7 years. For you see the only way she could deal with the stress over the Alessa situation was drugs. Lisa was a drug addict. Dr. Kaufmann in exchange for her cooperation feeds her the "white claudia" drug (which is what his team sold to the tourists during a drug ring). However the longer she stayed the more dependent on it she became. Lisa at age 23, overdosed and died when Alessa was still 7 years old. Present day Alessa is now 14 and the Lisa Harry meets is nothing more than a memory of her that exists only in Alessa's nightmare. When things start getting really bad she becomes... well...

I still get chocked up at this scene even today. :sad:

• Origins tells us that Kaufmann also gave Lisa the drug in exchange for sex. This is hilariously untrue. It was an even trade of hospital work for drugs. Without it Lisa would have left a long time ago and told the authorities what was going on. Sex never came up.
  • It tells us that there was a second ritual after the fire that takes place behind the antique shop (that Harry and Cybil later find) and this is where the soul split happened. This is in fact false. There was only one attempt and it failed due to the boiler explosion. Alessa took advantage of the fire to split her soul.
  • Origins also shows us the Flauros is a physical demon that can just come out and attack people for whatever reason. This isn't how it worked in SH1. Flauros (like many other things) are based on real world occultism and religious subtext. The Flauros is used to break ones power like when Dahlia uses it.
I can honestly keep going but there really is no need to at this point. Origins taken for what it is, does not follow the canon well at all and can't be used as a reliable source when relating it to the core games lore.

Umm... you did play Silent Hill 2 right? If so you should know that Mary never sent James a letter from beyond the grave. In fact there was no letter. It was the towns way of messing with James' head and to get him to come. Mary is long dead and James needs to face what he had done.

marys%20letter%202_zpszb4qcj0c.png

marys%20letter%203_zps6pyxsmya.png

Alright here we go. This is where things get complicated and also this is where I pick back up from the "tied to the protagonist" bit from earlier.

The beauty of the Silent Hill games is the subtle use of symbolism to tell their stories. I'll get to the Henry part but first I want to tackle the otherworld thing. The term "otherworld" is an umbrella term completely fabricated by Harry Mason (not umbrella as in resident evil of course) If you notice, no one else calls it that. You could easily replace the word "otherworld" with the term "nightmare transition". Harry explains exactly what's going on here in a few short sentences.
otherworld_zpsouaiiznp.png~original

othw1_zpsfaaefmfh.png

othw2_zpszqjjddbj.png

The nightmares in each of the four games are all different and as a result never recycle monsters. In the first game the nightmare belongs to Alessa
ehxlxl.png

and is directly tied to her fears and phobias. In the second game Alessa is dead and the effects of that game still linger. Though the power is nowhere near as strong as it was in the first game, the town now has the ability to call out to people with darkness in their hearts and who have past ties to it. The nightmare in the second game starts off as just James'.
james-sunderland-503.jpg

Each figure including Maria (a sexier version of his wife) and The red pyramid thing, each represent his repressed transgressions and guilt. It is when he comes to terms that the pyramid head kills itself since it is no longer needed. In the third game we follow Heather Mason, daughter of Harry Mason and another aspect of Alessa that got to live her own life after Alessa and Dahlia's passing. However over the 17 years the cult had been picking themselves up and with a new face, move their plans. Heather being a reincarnation, thus means the god within her is also reincarnated. This time around Claudia Wolf
claudia.jpg

in exchange for her eternal damnation once paradise is found, uses her faith to awaken the dorment seed within Heather. As a result the nightmare sequences are directly tied to her and Alessa's past experiences. And finally in the fourth title, we have Walter Sullivan.
20120511-144906.jpg

Walter is a homeless religious fanatic and was raised in the orphanage that the cultist used as a camp to raise children to follow their teachings. Walter was born in South Ashfield apartments where the protagonist Henry stays. He made his life following Dahlia's teachings via the act of murder. The deal was to separate their body and soul which represent a certain item that is required to bring about a demon that represents Walters mother. Instead of impregnation of a person he used South Ashfield as a surrogate. All the strange reality shifting come from his darkest dreams which is why he's able to pull people from their conscious mind while they sleep into his own, where he continues his hunt and live despite being dead in real life.

The truth is Henry doesn't enter any actual holes. Pay close to the dialogue in SH4 as it's one of the most misleading. Henry wakes up after every travel because he physically hasn't gone anywhere. People can't hear him in his apartment because the reality shifting nightmare still applies here. When Cynthia is sleeping in the subway, her mind enters Walters dream and her murders her there. Her body dies and her soul gets to stay forever in his nightmare. The symbolism is quite effective. The apartment is the womb and the hole Henry crawls out of represents birth as it plays a huge role with Walters backstory.

Hope I cleared some things up. Sorry it's so long. Feel free to ask or challenge anything you don't agree on. I'm a Silent Hill fanatic and I love discussing it.

First i was waiting for this awesome reply bro also thanks for memory travel i do missed few points myself!! I agree with you in the thread but few terms and points i dont agree with such as

1.terms like paranormal supernatural spirituall etc call it what you want fact is sh failed to introduce that due to each individual story...
2.evil spirit yes it does bro what i mean that someone or something spreading evil force around the town which you cant identify due to protagonist story

3.i know in sh2 not realy his wife the thing or evil spirit did!!!! Kinda funny the town misses her favorit tourist!

4.pretty much thats it bro my synposis to the franchies same as u may we not agree in terms but we do agree of what you just elobrated !! thanks again for this amazing thread deeply thankfull to you kind regards...

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
Thanks I appreciate that. Looking back at it I have pages more that I can put but I'm just too lazy lol.

****tered Memories? Honestly I think it was the best of the post team silent games. The voice acting was phenomenal, the environments were put together nicely and the puzzles made pretty good use of the wii's motion controls. I hear people complain that it's not responsive sometimes but I've only had a few instances where it wouldn't work as it should. That said I did have a couple of problems with it. The characters were quite bland compared to their original counter parts, while the wii controls were nice the actual game play was kind of boring after an hour. It just wasn't scary for me either. The monster design was pretty laughable since it was basically just a naked guy with a missing face and I'll admit the atmosphere wasn't as great as the originals either. There were tons of people in the town so that killed sense of isolation and monsters only appear when things freeze over, so I can never be surprised about my next encounter. Admittedly I did enjoy some parts of the story though I felt it was a bit of blatancy in a lot of areas. The psychiatry parts kind of broke the momentum for me a bit and I really found them cheesy. The symbolism that made the original stories a joy to figure out was all but missing and the frightening/disturbing elements of sex and death was missing completely. There was also the fact that if you weren't under the impression that Dr. Kaufmann was talking to Harry the story looses that mystery.

Wow I guess I have a lot of problems with ****tered Memories than I thought looking back at it... It doesn't help that there isn't much replay value. I guess if I were to just judge it as a game on its own, it's alright to me. Maybe a 6/10. I love the music score if anything. It matched the mood well I think. Also I think it's easily one of the best looking wii games. Sadly I don't have as many nice things to say about Downpour and Homecoming. Well I guess I do have one... I think they're both better than Book of Memories by a large margin.

I think I rank them like this:
  1. Silent Hill 3
  2. Silent Hill 2/Silent Hill 1
  3. Silent Hill 4 The Room
  4. Silent Hill ****tered Memories
  5. Silent Hill Origins
  6. Silent Hill Downpour
  7. Silent Hill Homecoming
  8. Silent Hill Book of Memories
Me like this.
Silent hill origins
Silent hill4 the room
Silent hill3
Silent hill 2
Silent hill
Silent hill home coming
Silent hill downpour
Silent hill ****tered memory

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Nice post and thread @BeatTheGG ! You have definitely clarified some things that I was still unsure about. I was always unsure about Lisa's presence especially.

The story within this series is so crazy and well thought out. Silent Hill 3 holds a special place for me because it was my first Silent Hill game and Heather is one of my favorite protagonists. Silent Hill 4 may be my favorite of the series however. The story and imagery to that game just has this affect on me.

Apart from the core SH games I did enjoy Downpour and Homecoming despite some plotholes. For Homecoming, I like to think that the "hospital" ending is the true ending; think of the ending to Shutter Island. That is how I interpret this ending and really love it as it makes everything seem all the more twisted and nightmarish.

I enjoy some of the environments of Downpour (like the waterfall area). However the monster designs were not well conceived.

Last edited:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
First i was waiting for this awesome reply bro also thanks for memory travel i do missed few points myself!! I agree with you in the thread but few terms and points i dont agree with such as

1.terms like paranormal supernatural spirituall etc call it what you want fact is sh failed to introduce that due to each individual story...
2.evil spirit yes it does bro what i mean that someone or something spreading evil force around the town which you cant identify due to protagonist story

3.i know in sh2 not realy his wife the thing or evil spirit did!!!! Kinda funny the town misses her favorit tourist!

4.pretty much thats it bro my synposis to the franchies same as u may we not agree in terms but we do agree of what you just elobrated !! thanks again for this amazing thread deeply thankfull to you kind regards...
Awesome? Haha I appreciate that man. I'm glad I can find someone to converse about Silent Hill with.

1. Well there are defining traits that make paranormal and supernatural two separate terms aside from a little overlap. The supernatural is by definition something beyond nature, basically magic and religion. There is no attempt to prove or disprove supernatural beliefs, since they depend basically on faith, superstition and magical thinking. This is basically Dahlia to a tee. I think Silent Hill's story introduced this excellently in its lore.

On the other hand paranormal refers to a series of purported phenomena which happen alongside what is normal, but is assume to be legitimate subjects of scientific study. When proof of the existence of those phenomena failed to appear, they fell down on pseudoscience. An example is poltergeist or spirits.

2. The monsters are spreading around town because of Alessa's nightmare. It was an accident not something that was made intentionally. SH2 is the only one that makes sense with monsters relating to the protagonist because it takes place directly after SH1. The games explain this explicitly. Meanwhile Origins makes no sense because it supposedly happens before the events in SH1.

3. But remember,there never was a note to begin with. When you examine the envelope it appears that there is one.

However once James starts to understand things he comes to realize there was no letter at all.

It's a series of mind games and reality altercation not spirits. Spirits would require that there is some sort of poltergeist with ill intention and motive that wants to see bad things happen to the living, but the dangers that James encounters are his own demons so that's impossible. The town is basically taking his unconscious mind and spreading it on the town like some kind of canvas of the self and we see this happen again and again.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING OF SH2

The truth is James didn't come to Silent Hill looking for his wife. He was originally going to visit it again because it was one of the final comforting memories he had with Mary before she died. He was going to take his life there. However he buried all of those thoughts of suicide and shut himself off from the rest of the world. The town is merely helping him remember, and it only has the ability to do that thanks to the events in SH1 and the powers Alessa excreted while there.

The town may have some sort of benevolent powers but it can do nothing on its own.

4. You have some great thoughts. Indeed we don't agree on everything however we do still enjoy the same series so you're cool in my book my friend.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Nice post and thread @BeatTheGG ! You have definitely clarified some things that I was still unsure about. I was always unsure about Lisa's presence especially.

The story within this series is so crazy and well thought out. Silent Hill 3 holds a special place for me because it was my first Silent Hill game and Heather is one of my favorite protagonists. Silent Hill 4 may be my favorite of the series however. The story and imagery to that game just has this affect on me.

Apart from the core SH games I did enjoy Downpour and Homecoming despite some plotholes. For Homecoming, I like to think that the "hospital" ending is the true ending; think of the ending to Shutter Island. That is how I interpret this ending and really love it as it makes everything seem all the more twisted and nightmarish.

I enjoy some of the environments of Downpour (like the waterfall area). However the monster designs were not well conceived.
Oh wow thank you so much it means a lot to me that you found this insightful.

Yeah I love the series narrative. It's pretty tight. Silent Hill 3 is my favorite in fact. Heather is so awesome. I remember when the game first came out I had a strange crush on her... yeah it's a little awkward... I do love the story to Silent Hill 4 but I have a couple issues with the gameplay. They're minor and nothing that I can't overlook. I may not like Homecoming but I do like some of the boss designs and the soundtrack is alright too (though not Yamaoka's greatest) I definitely think these two elements were infinitly better than Downpours.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Me like this.
Silent hill origins
Silent hill4 the room
Silent hill3
Silent hill 2
Silent hill
Silent hill home coming
Silent hill downpour
Silent hill ****tered memory
Not a fan of ****tered memories? Also it's good to see so many people here like SH4 so much. I always assumed it was the least favorite.

Last edited:

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
My favourite Silent Hill is 3, followed by 2. Of course Silent Hill 2 is hailed as the greatest in the series by many, but there's something I really like about Heather as a character.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
Not a fan of ****tered memories? Also it's good to see some many people here like SH4 so much. I always assumed it was the least favorite.

Hahah are you joking!? Sh4 was epic man! Plus i may think they intentionally did those lophole and missing logic just like sh4 ending origins (kinda) and sh3 idk just felt there is alot of loose ends to be honest with you may some events or informations characters would colide somehow lol... And yeah can i ask you something what is your opinion about downpour if you did remember you could take down a stairs to claim into windows one of those windows i enter was henry apartment!!!!!! Bro i was literly shocked wtf? That of many things started to asure what i thought about silent hill in the futuer!!!!! Please i wanna hear what you got to say on this

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
My favourite Silent Hill is 3, followed by 2. Of course Silent Hill 2 is hailed as the greatest in the series by many, but there's something I really like about Heather as a character.
I'm the same. I love SH2 don't get me wrong. The story is fantastic and really well told. In fact, I'd say objectively it has the best structured story but SH3 needs to get credit for what it does better. The gameplay adds more variety with weapons. The enemies were both scarier and more aggressive making killing them so much more satisfying. The environments were a little more varied than 2's as well. The story may not be at the same level of genius as SH2 but its symbolism is as good as it has ever been. Not to mention it ties up everything from SH1 perfectly. Then there's Heather herself. I L O V E H E A T H E R M A S O N

She's snarky, headstrong yet emotionally vulnerable. When I look at Heather, I see a character that is the perfect middle ground of teenage and adult. Here's a comparison between SH3 and Downpour that I find makes them worlds apart. Murphy's plot ends before it even begins. 5 minuntes into the game and we have him murdering a comically overweight pedophile in a brutal hamfisted over the top manner. The rest of his plot follows around him being guilt felt about the means to get there and see what really had resulted from it. The problem there is revenge as a plot is too singular and doesn't have many outcomes. It's also hard to sympathize for Murphy since he's basically weeping and feeling sorry for himself the entire game and we don't get to know what kind of person he was before then. With SH3 it was handled smarter. Heather vowed revenge against Claudia for what she had done to Harry, however at the same time show admits that it's an initial reaction over a bigger picture that she just didn't understand. Did she still want Claudia to pay for what she did? Hell yes! But once she understands who she really is and loses the opportunity to kill Clauida with her own two hands, she gains solace in knowing she at least saved the world from the people whom had made her fathers life a living hell for the last 17 years. When we as the player kill god at the end and see her break exhale in relief that it's finally over, we feel the full weight of how bitter sweat the moment is when she breaks down and cries about her father still being dead despite her efforts. It was a well deserved reaction because she had been strong and held it in up to this point and also shows us that reality isn't always so kind.

Heather felt real and she's my favorite protagonist for that.
Hahah are you joking!? Sh4 was epic man! Plus i may think they intentionally did those lophole and missing logic just like sh4 ending origins (kinda) and sh3 idk just felt there is alot of loose ends to be honest with you may some events or informations characters would colide somehow lol... And yeah can i ask you something what is your opinion about downpour if you did remember you could take down a stairs to claim into windows one of those windows i enter was henry apartment!!!!!! Bro i was literly shocked wtf? That of many things started to asure what i thought about silent hill in the futuer!!!!! Please i wanna hear what you got to say on this

This is a plesent surprise. I usually hear bashing or indifference when it comes to The Room. I myself really liked SH4 a lot. I just recently replayed it to see if my opinions had changed on it, and I have to admit, I like it a lot more after a first playthrough. I personally give it maybe an 8.5/10 for its plot alone. The gameplay however I think is a step down from SH3. It was changed for no real reason and I think taking away the tank controls was a mistake since the cameras still shifted around. I wish there was a PC mod that put the tank controls back, that would be awesome lol. Despite this, I don't have any huge issues with the game play either. And yeah the SH4 easte egg in Downpour was really cool.

Okay so my thoughts on Downpour...
GIF-Conceding-Lumbergh-Office-Office-Space-OK-Ok-then-Uh-yeah-Umm-Well-then-GIF.gif

To put this simply and plainly; if not for Book of Memories Downpour would arguable be my least favorite Silent Hill game. There is so much I did not like about Downpour that if I dared to list them all out I'd probably go on a rant. I will say one thing. The director was smart in saying Downpour doesn't follow the canon of the original games because then I'd REALLY have some problems with it.

You know what... I'm going to do the opposite and commend Downpour on the parts I did enjoy.
  • For starters, I think Murphy Pendelton is a much better protagonist than Alex Shepard. At least he's not a damn ninja.
  • I can see little glimmers of a decent plot sold poorly in Downpour, even though most of it is (much like Homecoming) copied and pasted from SH2.
  • It has some cool little Easter eggs from the past games sprinkled around, much like the Henry's apartment thing we discussed earlier. Though this is kind of a double edge sword since it just reminds me of those better games and how I'd much rather be playing them...
  • It still has the item pickup noises from all the last games so that's...kinda cool I guess
  • I do like the waterfall sequence with some impressive level of detail. Which is strange because otherwise I find the game kind of ugly.
  • Murphy's scream whenever he's being chased by that (not scary) void thing is drop dead hilarious.
  • The boogeyman is a much more subtle pyramid head ripoff than the butcher and the bogeyman.
...Yeah I think that's it. I gotta say, I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something nice to say about Downpour. It overall left very generic. I could do a full on analysis but that takes time and effort, two things I'd rather not spend on Downpour... unless...

tumblr_nztjiiquVy1u5mdgro1_500.gif

I could analyze each game individually and give my thoughts on them. Go over a plot synapses, talking about the characters, maybe look at a lot of the symbolic meanings in the first 4 games that people may or may not have missed, talk about what did and didn't work with the gameplay of each before wrapping everything up with some closing statements. I love talking about this series and there is a lot to talk about even if it's basically dead at this point. Heck there are things that I enjoy even in the games I did not so I could surprise some people.

I don't know I'm going to do this though. I guess it would depend on if you guys would be into it. I don't want to if people don't really care. I mean this is a Resident Evil forum and Silent Hill was a rival franchise so it would would surprise me if there were a lot of members here who do not like or are indifferent to this franchise as a whole.

Let me know what you guys think and thank you all again for the kind words guys.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
I'm the same. I love SH2 don't get me wrong. The story is fantastic and really well told. In fact, I'd say objectively it has the best structured story but SH3 needs to get credit for what it does better. The gameplay adds more variety with weapons. The enemies were both scarier and more aggressive making killing them so much more satisfying. The environments were a little more varied than 2's as well. The story may not be at the same level of genius as SH2 but its symbolism is as good as it has ever been. Not to mention it ties up everything from SH1 perfectly. Then there's Heather herself. I L O V E H E A T H E R M A S O N

She's snarky, headstrong yet emotionally vulnerable. When I look at Heather, I see a character that is the perfect middle ground of teenage and adult. Here's a comparison between SH3 and Downpour that I find makes them worlds apart. Murphy's plot ends before it even begins. 5 minuntes into the game and we have him murdering a comically overweight pedophile in a brutal hamfisted over the top manner. The rest of his plot follows around him being guilt felt about the means to get there and see what really had resulted from it. The problem there is revenge as a plot is too singular and doesn't have many outcomes. It's also hard to sympathize for Murphy since he's basically weeping and feeling sorry for himself the entire game and we don't get to know what kind of person he was before then. With SH3 it was handled smarter. Heather vowed revenge against Claudia for what she had done to Harry, however at the same time show admits that it's an initial reaction over a bigger picture that she just didn't understand. Did she still want Claudia to pay for what she did? Hell yes! But once she understands who she really is and loses the opportunity to kill Clauida with her own two hands, she gains solace in knowing she at least saved the world from the people whom had made her fathers life a living hell for the last 17 years. When we as the player kill god at the end and see her break exhale in relief that it's finally over, we feel the full weight of how bitter sweat the moment is when she breaks down and cries about her father still being dead despite her efforts. It was a well deserved reaction because she had been strong and held it in up to this point and also shows us that reality isn't always so kind.

Heather felt real and she's my favorite protagonist for that.

This is a plesent surprise. I usually hear bashing or indifference when it comes to The Room. I myself really liked SH4 a lot. I just recently replayed it to see if my opinions had changed on it, and I have to admit, I like it a lot more after a first playthrough. I personally give it maybe an 8.5/10 for its plot alone. The gameplay however I think is a step down from SH3. It was changed for no real reason and I think taking away the tank controls was a mistake since the cameras still shifted around. I wish there was a PC mod that put the tank controls back, that would be awesome lol. Despite this, I don't have any huge issues with the game play either. And yeah the SH4 easte egg in Downpour was really cool.

Okay so my thoughts on Downpour...
GIF-Conceding-Lumbergh-Office-Office-Space-OK-Ok-then-Uh-yeah-Umm-Well-then-GIF.gif

To put this simply and plainly; if not for Book of Memories Downpour would arguable be my least favorite Silent Hill game. There is so much I did not like about Downpour that if I dared to list them all out I'd probably go on a rant. I will say one thing. The director was smart in saying Downpour doesn't follow the canon of the original games because then I'd REALLY have some problems with it.

You know what... I'm going to do the opposite and commend Downpour on the parts I did enjoy.
  • For starters, I think Murphy Pendelton is a much better protagonist than Alex Shepard. At least he's not a damn ninja.
  • I can see little glimmers of a decent plot sold poorly in Downpour, even though most of it is (much like Homecoming) copied and pasted from SH2.
  • It has some cool little Easter eggs from the past games sprinkled around, much like the Henry's apartment thing we discussed earlier. Though this is kind of a double edge sword since it just reminds me of those better games and how I'd much rather be playing them...
  • It still has the item pickup noises from all the last games so that's...kinda cool I guess
  • I do like the waterfall sequence with some impressive level of detail. Which is strange because otherwise I find the game kind of ugly.
  • Murphy's scream whenever he's being chased by that (not scary) void thing is drop dead hilarious.
  • The boogeyman is a much more subtle pyramid head ripoff than the butcher and the bogeyman.
...Yeah I think that's it. I gotta say, I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something nice to say about Downpour. It overall left very generic. I could do a full on analysis but that takes time and effort, two things I'd rather not spend on Downpour... unless...

tumblr_nztjiiquVy1u5mdgro1_500.gif

I could analyze each game individually and give my thoughts on them. Go over a plot synapses, talking about the characters, maybe look at a lot of the symbolic meanings in the first 4 games that people may or may not have missed, talk about what did and didn't work with the gameplay of each before wrapping everything up with some closing statements. I love talking about this series and there is a lot to talk about even if it's basically dead at this point. Heck there are things that I enjoy even in the games I did not so I could surprise some people.

I don't know I'm going to do this though. I guess it would depend on if you guys would be into it. I don't want to if people don't really care. I mean this is a Resident Evil forum and Silent Hill was a rival franchise so it would would surprise me if there were a lot of members here who do not like or are indifferent to this franchise as a whole.

Let me know what you guys think and thank you all again for the kind words guys.

Please do as a fan of RE franchies never think silent hill rival game to RE becuse they do share servival horror part game play even story and town itself far away of what RE series content!!

Well would you agree that silent hill must come to end bringing back few old characters plus new one for a plot!! Like this...

Travis gardy heather mason and henry man wooh hooo:happy:cant imagine what sort of plot to do but im sure it will be awesome before these guys meet each other they create a part which you play campaign mode like RE6 to tell how and why they will meet in the next sh!! Ok back to town personaly if they well took each of sh origin sh3 sh4 map then combine it in one lol huge! Please isnt that a way to finish a game like that or what? Want to hear your thought on it:nom::happy::nom::happy:

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I love the symbolism and plot in the games.
Silent hill 4 is my favourite.
I never played 1-3 but watched playthroughs and love them all.
I played silent hill 5 but not downpour

These games legitimately gave me nightmares when I was younger. So much so the sound of my parents washing machine reminded me of the Aura noise the ghosts in silent hill 4 make, and i would freak :p

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
@BeatTheGG absolutely post your thoughts on here if you want the thread to stay alive. If people aren't fans of the series then they can overlook the thread.

All this talk is making me want to play through these games again. Might have to bust out the PS2 to start with the first game tonight.

But when it comes to the rival between RE and SH, I've never really viewed it as 'you can only like one game series', as I have seen some fans do. I actually got into a small heated discussion with a girl on a SH forum because she wanted to talk down the RE series after only playing one game and saying that RE ripped off of SH. Actually the first RE game was released 2 years before the first SH game. So it is safe to say that Konami took some inspiration from Capcom and made their own powerful survival horror game series.

SH definitely outdoes RE with storytelling but RE has those iconic characters and fun gameplay. RE's story may be simple/cheesy but its all still in good fun.

Also didn't Konami state that they were still interested in making a newer SH game despite the cancellation of Silent Hills?

Last edited:

meg5493

God SH2 is probably the SH game I go back to the most. I remember digging through lore and symbolism alot for that game and 3 back in highschool. I would love to go back to 4 (I never did finish it or get through the first area :( )
I'm always a little salty when I see Pyramid Head or to a lesser extent the bubble head nurses in other games because it cheapens the monsters symbolism to James. I did like Downpour though when it comes to the newer SH for the most part not really "Silent Hills" but it was a fun time for the majority of it.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Sorry for the 2 day absence guys. I've been pulling doubles at work and it has been kicking my butt :sleepy:Needed some R&R. However I'm back with a vengeance and WOW I'm getting a lot of support here guys. Thanks! Since everyone seems to like what I'm doing here, I guess I have no choice but to go through with it.:happy:
Please do as a fan of RE franchies never think silent hill rival game to RE becuse they do share servival horror part game play even story and town itself far away of what RE series content!!

Well would you agree that silent hill must come to end bringing back few old characters plus new one for a plot!! Like this...

Travis gardy heather mason and henry man wooh hooo:happy:cant imagine what sort of plot to do but im sure it will be awesome before these guys meet each other they create a part which you play campaign mode like RE6 to tell how and why they will meet in the next sh!! Ok back to town personaly if they well took each of sh origin sh3 sh4 map then combine it in one lol huge! Please isnt that a way to finish a game like that or what? Want to hear your thought on it:nom::happy::nom::happy:

You're right. Aside from being part of the same genre they don't really have all that much in common.

You seem very open minded, (which is a good thing) I dunno, it would be pretty bizarre to see all these characters bunched up like this. So far no protagonist has really shared the spotlight with a previous, aside from a reference here or there. I'd also like to think they're smart enough to never want to go near that town again lol. Funny enough I do remember before Homecoming people wanted a Silent Hill 5 (and there technically could still be a 5 since Homecoming isn't) with Heather Mason as the protagonist many years later. It went a little something like this - Heather at this point is 33 years old. She has adopted two children of her own, a boy named Harry and a girl named something that I've forgotten. Basically some cult members kidnap her children in an attempt to get her to come back to Silent Hill with the tagline being "The sins of the father are passed down to the child." It's pretty simple for a plot but I do remember a lot of people wanting that. Not so sure how I'd feel about it.

I love the symbolism and plot in the games.
Silent hill 4 is my favourite.
I never played 1-3 but watched playthroughs and love them all.
I played silent hill 5 but not downpour

These games legitimately gave me nightmares when I was younger. So much so the sound of my parents washing machine reminded me of the Aura noise the ghosts in silent hill 4 make, and i would freak :p

I agree that Silent Hill 4 is awesome. I really do love the plot and characters in that game. I also love that it took the SH3 approach and doesn't actually take place in Silent Hill. Walter Sullivan has slowly crept into my top ten characters thanks to how he was handled in that game.

Yeah at this point getting a hold of a copy of the original games would cost a lot of money. I ended up having to get a replacement for SH2 on amazon. Some of the prices were out of this world! It's not as bad as when I went to look for the old .hack games though. OH BOY! That's a story for another day though lmao. By 5 do you mean Origins or Homecoming? I often have to get clarification since Origins is technically the fifth game in the franchise and Homecoming doesn't have the title of 5. Funny enough I do own a copy of Downpour... though it's been sitting on my shelf collecting dust for a couple of years now :paranoid:I remember a friend of mine coming over and seeing it sitting on my shelf. His response was "Wicked! You own Silent Hill?" I immediately dug Silent Hill 1 out of my dresser and held it up in front of him saying, "Yep!" He just looked looked at Downpour then back at SH1 then back at Downpour again before giving me that Morty Smith expression:
3_YUBGwujgWLwfkmCPn_EW5DdMz0x4dno9XuiVZz4ldRomB8M4wM1V4XIPzPn6w41fnk=w300

Then he snatched SH1 out of my hand and said "Dude we gotta play it!" Haha I am such a jerk sometimes. :eager:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
@BeatTheGG absolutely post your thoughts on here if you want the thread to stay alive. If people aren't fans of the series then they can overlook the thread.

All this talk is making me want to play through these games again. Might have to bust out the PS2 to start with the first game tonight.

But when it comes to the rival between RE and SH, I've never really viewed it as 'you can only like one game series', as I have seen some fans do. I actually got into a small heated discussion with a girl on a SH forum because she wanted to talk down the RE series after only playing one game and saying that RE ripped off of SH. Actually the first RE game was released 2 years before the first SH game. So it is safe to say that Konami took some inspiration from Capcom and made their own powerful survival horror game series.

SH definitely outdoes RE with storytelling but RE has those iconic characters and fun gameplay. RE's story may be simple/cheesy but its all still in good fun.

Also didn't Konami state that they were still interested in making a newer SH game despite the cancellation of Silent Hills?
Thanks for the support @bSTAR_182

I love the way you think. I don't like the rivalry idea between these games either. I get people have their preferences but don't go around bashing people for liking one over the other because liking both isn't impossible for crying out loud. I for one love survival horror games in general. I could easily start on SH3, jump to Code Veronica, then jump to Clock Tower before ending my night with Rule of Rose. Survival Horror isn't subject to only one type of approach, people need to remember tha. For me personally however, survival horror is my life. You know what I mean? Also the RE copying SH thing is absolutely laughable. That just goes to show you that person was a fanboy or fangirl rather than a genuine fan of horror. Heck RE predates SH by not just two but three years! RE1 was made back in 96 with production starting a few years prior. Meanwhile SH1 was coming around the time RE3 was coming around, back in 99. In fact you are correct about the SH being a result of RE's success. Konami wanted a bit budget Hollywood horror game that could rival Resident Evil. At some point they decided to trash the idea and stop funding Team Silent and work on other projects. This gave team silent a smaller budget to work with but gave them 100% freedom to make the game they wanted to make. This turned Silent Hill from a big Hollywood horror like say Evil Dead and turned it into a slow burn, David Lynch-esque, psychological horror. It's astounding how many Silent Hill elitist seem to forget this.

Indeed I do recall Konami stating that they were still interested in making more SH game but I'm really just hoping they sell it off to someone who will do this franchise justice. I just hate watching all the good IP's sitting under Konami's feet just wither away into obscurity. I know Capcom is crummy a lot of the time but they're nowhere near as bad as the goblins over at Konami :angry:

God SH2 is probably the SH game I go back to the most. I remember digging through lore and symbolism alot for that game and 3 back in highschool. I would love to go back to 4 (I never did finish it or get through the first area :( )
I'm always a little salty when I see Pyramid Head or to a lesser extent the bubble head nurses in other games because it cheapens the monsters symbolism to James. I did like Downpour though when it comes to the newer SH for the most part not really "Silent Hills" but it was a fun time for the majority of it.

It makes sense SH2 is the fan favorite. It's Silent Hill's first go at a personal tale for the protagonist. People love the whole "These demons are my own" thing, and I'm right there with them. I mean it's gotten to the point that every game post 4 has been trying to replicate its formula. That being said the one I play the most is probably 3. As for 4, it's a different pill to swallow. Some people like the experimentation that went into 4 while others see them as failed attempts and nothing more. I say try giving it another go sometime in the future. Maybe at least til you past the part with Cynthia lol. The story's the most interesting part imo.

Yeah seeing Pyramid Head go from a deep symbolic figure meant to torture James because it's what James wants to just another sellout really gets on my nerves. Which reminds me, I'm probably going to talk about the comic and movies at some point too because, boy do I have a lot to say about those. :suggestive:

You know I'm glad you enjoyed Downpour. Looking at it on its own and not a Silent Hill game, I'm sure it works just fine for what it's trying to do. And if it clicks with people and they're happy, that's all that matters to me. I have moments that I enjoy in that game too in fact. They aren't many but they exist, trust me. As for Silent Hills, I think I'll talk a little about that too. There isn't a lot considering it's all just wasted potential at this point. But I can't help myself and wonder what could have been :eager:

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
Sorry for the 2 day absence guys. I've been pulling doubles at work and it has been kicking my butt :sleepy:Needed some R&R. However I'm back with a vengeance and WOW I'm getting a lot of support here guys. Thanks! Since everyone seems to like what I'm doing here, I guess I have no choice but to go through with it.:happy:

You're right. Aside from being part of the same genre they don't really have all that much in common.

You seem very open minded, (which is a good thing) I dunno, it would be pretty bizarre to see all these characters bunched up like this. So far no protagonist has really shared the spotlight with a previous, aside from a reference here or there. I'd also like to think they're smart enough to never want to go near that town again lol. Funny enough I do remember before Homecoming people wanted a Silent Hill 5 (and there technically could still be a 5 since Homecoming isn't) with Heather Mason as the protagonist many years later. It went a little something like this - Heather at this point is 33 years old. She has adopted two children of her own, a boy named Harry and a girl named something that I've forgotten. Basically some cult members kidnap her children in an attempt to get her to come back to Silent Hill with the tagline being "The sins of the father are passed down to the child." It's pretty simple for a plot but I do remember a lot of people wanting that. Not so sure how I'd feel about it.

I agree that Silent Hill 4 is awesome. I really do love the plot and characters in that game. I also love that it took the SH3 approach and doesn't actually take place in Silent Hill. Walter Sullivan has slowly crept into my top ten characters thanks to how he was handled in that game.

Yeah at this point getting a hold of a copy of the original games would cost a lot of money. I ended up having to get a replacement for SH2 on amazon. Some of the prices were out of this world! It's not as bad as when I went to look for the old .hack games though. OH BOY! That's a story for another day though lmao. By 5 do you mean Origins or Homecoming? I often have to get clarification since Origins is technically the fifth game in the franchise and Homecoming doesn't have the title of 5. Funny enough I do own a copy of Downpour... though it's been sitting on my shelf collecting dust for a couple of years now :paranoid:I remember a friend of mine coming over and seeing it sitting on my shelf. His response was "Wicked! You own Silent Hill?" I immediately dug Silent Hill 1 out of my dresser and held it up in front of him saying, "Yep!" He just looked looked at Downpour then back at SH1 then back at Downpour again before giving me that Morty Smith expression:
3_YUBGwujgWLwfkmCPn_EW5DdMz0x4dno9XuiVZz4ldRomB8M4wM1V4XIPzPn6w41fnk=w300

Then he snatched SH1 out of my hand and said "Dude we gotta play it!" Haha I am such a jerk sometimes. :eager:

Welcome back bro! Yeah i hear ya myself have those days!!!

Nice plot but for heather only!!!

Yes its very bizarre those guys meet!!!
As far for a plot if you did remember heather travis and henry each of them has a weird odd or unknown ending!!! Didn you ever wonder why they made such odd ending!!! First of all let me give you a plot i personaly made for those in short!!!

Heather will meet henry where or why its up to the producers also depends in who making it lol back to me!!!!

Travis will save them from boss monster or horde of these creepy handless walkers

Travis and heather will meet after seprating from henry!!!

Henry moving on his own...

Travis and heather strugle together while introducing drama between each of them

Pretty much after campign mode i told you about neverthless kinda lost how the ending or heart of this going even to work!
Im sure if sh would end hope itleast bringin out old characters specialy travis henry or james sunderland wait i know why james?
Idk he finished his story but giving him another run for his life should be awesome! James character simple mysterous with tons of guilt nd emotions!!

No matter sh end would be!!! Hope it will be as quailty as old ancester!!! Again thanks for this amazing thread had much fun reading it!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Welcome back bro! Yeah i hear ya myself have those days!!!

Nice plot but for heather only!!!

Yes its very bizarre those guys meet!!!
As far for a plot if you did remember heather travis and henry each of them has a weird odd or unknown ending!!! Didn you ever wonder why they made such odd ending!!! First of all let me give you a plot i personaly made for those in short!!!

Heather will meet henry where or why its up to the producers also depends in who making it lol back to me!!!!

Travis will save them from boss monster or horde of these creepy handless walkers

Travis and heather will meet after seprating from henry!!!

Henry moving on his own...

Travis and heather strugle together while introducing drama between each of them

Pretty much after campign mode i told you about neverthless kinda lost how the ending or heart of this going even to work!
Im sure if sh would end hope itleast bringin out old characters specialy travis henry or james sunderland wait i know why james?
Idk he finished his story but giving him another run for his life should be awesome! James character simple mysterous with tons of guilt nd emotions!!

No matter sh end would be!!! Hope it will be as quailty as old ancester!!! Again thanks for this amazing thread had much fun reading it!!!!:happy::happy::happy:
All I can say is, I'd be open to seeing characters return as long as it's handled with care. I never really anticipate seeing protagonists returning since each game usually gives us a whole new cast so I can't say I have an opinion on the subject. I will say you have given me something to think about though.

Though I don't see James returning. I hear that the
in water ending is considered the fan favorite and the one the devs put the most amount of heart into, so I'd imagine they'd like to keep the idea of James being dead open.
It was pretty cool seeing them reference James in SH4 in such a way that doesn't directly involve him.

What name would you give this Silent Hill game that you've thought of? I imagine it would be something that relates to bringing things together like, "Silent Hill A Dreaded Unison" or something like that. :happy:

EDIT: Lol I can't believe I'm just now learning how to use spoiler tags -_-

Top Bottom