• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Operation Raccoon City Should I buy RE:ORC?

TomVinPrice

Mercenary
I realize I'm a bit late to the party but I enjoy RE6 so it seems I would like ORC.

I know it isn't a true RE game and all that which is why I avoided it for a while. Now though seeing as it's cheap and doesn't seem to be much less of an RE game than 6, I may want to get it.

How is the gameplay? The multiplayer? Is the Campaign even worth caring about?

I would like to hear your thoughts!

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I've never played the multiplayer aspect of it, so I can't comment on that, but I enjoyed the game overall.The gameplay is similar to RE6. The campaigns are based on your preferences. Since you can either play as Umbrella's troops or as the US Government's troops(DLC), it's up to you which you care about more.

I personally liked the US Government troops more, as they meet up with Carlos, Jill, Claire, Sherry and Leon and they have a kick-ass final boss.

So, I'd recommend it, only if you don't mind the action and occasional glitches and lag.(nothing really bad, just small things).

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Game play feels like Gears of War.(Which isn't a bad thing.) It doesn't have that great of a story line. (But what war game does?) Multiplayer ROCKS! You have no idea how much epic the multiplayer is.

My only complaints are:
It Lags
Some of the achievments are kinda rediculous. (S+ rank on pro?)

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Like I tell everyone who asks this question: no one can tell you that. No one can tell you you'll like it or whether it'll be worth paying for for you but I can tell you this: I, personally, enjoyed the game very much. To be completely honest, I'd head on over to youtube and watch some of the game-play - not enough to spoil things for you but maybe watch the first mission - get a feel for the game and then make your own judgements. As always, worse comes to worse and you head on over to gamestop for a trade-in.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I agree with Magnolia Grandiflora. It's best to check some gameplay out on Youtube first to see if you'll like it or not.

However, I do want to warn that the there are numerous glitches, enemies will sometimes land cheap hits on you sometimes, the cover system may annoy you (Depends on rather you are fine with automatic cover or not), the game may seem repetitve to you (Depends on your perference), and if you don't like short games then you will not like this game because it is short (I took me about 5 hours to beat it.).

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
im also considering buying this now after missing it the first time around. I avoided it because I do not like automatic cover system and i thought the shooting effects looked quite poor compared to the official RE games. I might pick this up anyway, as i kinda need something new to play, with Re6 dlc takin so long

Nashtalia

B.S.A.A. Agent
it's a.....decent :rolleyes: game at best, got this release after 3 months of it's release..... nothing spectacular ( to expect game-play wise *campain and online verses wise* ) :rolleyes: in other words it's just a usual third person shooter (with a cover system)

:rolleyes:

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
it's a.....decent :rolleyes: game at best, got this release after 3 months of it's release..... nothing spectacular ( to expect game-play wise *campain and online verses wise* ) :rolleyes:
Most people say the same. Its decent but nothing special. And the shooting does look a bit, cheap? Also i heard you can only carry one main gun at a time, so no machinegun/shotgun set up? It seems a bit rushed and not as glossy as the games im used to, watched a few videos and still un sure. I reckon its under £10 in UK now though, so i'll probaly get it even if i get a few hours laughs out of it, will be ok.

Nashtalia

B.S.A.A. Agent
with that being said i am at a hassle thought if i should buy the 2 Spec Ops expansion packs (mission packs), there is a free dlc of their introduction mission.... since at this point i am favoring the BSAA, and the faction Spec Ops in this game are as close to the BSAA, mission operative wise

Nashtalia

B.S.A.A. Agent
Most people say the same. Its decent but nothing special. And the shooting does look a bit, cheap? Also i heard you can only carry one main gun at a time, so no machinegun/shotgun set up? It seems a bit rushed and not as glossy as the games im used to, watched a few videos and still un sure. I reckon its under £10 in UK now though, so i'll probaly get it even if i get a few hours laughs out of it, will be ok.

you can carry a primary and a secondary weapon, i can confirm this; as i own this release *heh* so in short you can carry only two weapons :rolleyes: and also yes and a no.... you can have a machine-gun class weapon or any weapon class as your primary but no other type of weapon but a hand-canon (pistol class type weapon) for your secondary weapon. with this being said, the only positive i can give in a boarderline way? is that they have my favorite hand-canon (pistol) which is the "Lightning Hawk". Also you can see the other player's laser aim thing (at least the weapons that have that "feature") as i recall you saying that in Mercenaries in RE6, you'd liked it that you'd be able to see your partner's laser aim thing (that is if they choose the laser aim thing feature on their weapon)

Nashtalia

B.S.A.A. Agent

with that being said above, it's sad to say it's cgi trailers look so amazing and when it comes to the actual game-play it doesn't look as promising it looked in the trailers :rolleyes: i find it quite amuzing and ironic at the same time..... (amazing cgi trailer *specifically the triple threat trailer* but when in actual game play it falls flat)

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
with that being said above, it's sad to say it's cgi trailers look so amazing and when it comes to the actual game-play it doesn't look as promising it looked in the trailers :rolleyes: i find it quite amuzing and ironic at the same time..... (amazing cgi trailer *specifically the triple threat trailer* but when in actual game play it falls flat)
Thanks Nashtalia. I guess the game looks average to me, i worry mainly about people saying the gun is inaccurate and takes many headshots to kill. Im still not sure whether to bother with this one...I love the idea of it but a lot of games i like the idea of but then when i get them home and play i dont really like it. It happened recently when i got Far Cry 3 and feel disapointed with that . Well, i might get it, over christmas holiday or something. Thanks for the ideas

L

Lurker
I really did not enjoy ORC at all. It was terrible. Enemies were unbalanced compared to you, they soaked up bullets, the cover system was terrible, there is effectively little difference between characters,and it was in general not finished. This game is like if a restaurant gave you half of a steak and said you had to pay extra to get the other half.

Nashtalia

B.S.A.A. Agent
Thanks Nashtalia. I guess the game looks average to me, i worry mainly about people saying the gun is inaccurate and takes many headshots to kill. Im still not sure whether to bother with this one...I love the idea of it but a lot of games i like the idea of but then when i get them home and play i dont really like it. It happened recently when i got Far Cry 3 and feel disapointed with that . Well, i might get it, over christmas holiday or something. Thanks for the ideas

at this point i just play it for the multiplayer verses thing (specifically team attack, it's basically a team-deathmatch), as of current i have bought no skill set for any of my "favourite" characters, as i am currently saving up to get the Lightning Hawk.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
my friend lent me the game but having played a few missions i hate the aiming on it. The sensitivity is Way too slow, even on max settings he turns about as fast as 5 on Re6. on re6 i used 10 sensitivity and Re6 is still slow than most all other shooters allow you to turn faster. It also has sensitivity gain (dont know the official word) where by you start turning at x speed then after one second holding stick it speeds up further. basically i found the handling really bad and i played a few missions and upgraded the character speed by 15% on that Hunk's apprentice guy but it still felt bad

Sonnentreppe

wordy agronaut
ORC is crap. That said, if I didn't have it and even knew what I know now, I'd still but a copy if I saw it for like $19.99-25.99 (maybe even 34.99 if the DLC was included). I think ORC is a horrible, and I think most would agree, but it's still a decent experience for a fan of the RE series. I wouldn't have high expectations at all if I were you, though. Best of luck.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
ORC is crap. That said, if I didn't have it and even knew what I know now, I'd still but a copy if I saw it for like $19.99-25.99 (maybe even 34.99 if the DLC was included). I think ORC is a horrible, and I think most would agree, but it's still a decent experience for a fan of the RE series. I wouldn't have high expectations at all if I were you, though. Best of luck.
Thanks I think im going to avoid playing it through even though im a big fan of RE. i dont have much spare time for games so i have to choose wisely

2-_-DEAD

Resident Evil Veteran
ORC is the only R.E. game I haven't played. I'm thinking of buying it used off Ebay or something.

Godammlover

It's not a bad game overall, I think it's mainly average rated by users and people who have played the game which is fair. As the game tries to explain the off-story of what happened between Raccoon City. For me it was a good game I just enjoyed the multiplayer concept of it more than the actual storyline.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
my friend lent me the game but having played a few missions i hate the aiming on it. The sensitivity is Way too slow, even on max settings he turns about as fast as 5 on Re6. on re6 i used 10 sensitivity and Re6 is still slow than most all other shooters allow you to turn faster. It also has sensitivity gain (dont know the official word) where by you start turning at x speed then after one second holding stick it speeds up further. basically i found the handling really bad and i played a few missions and upgraded the character speed by 15% on that Hunk's apprentice guy but it still felt bad
The gameplay is very different from any RE game. I hated the aiming, and the controls, never got used to them.

I still own ORC, and I've been meaning to run through again, since I never actually completed it before, I honestly couldn't stand the gameplay. Firefights with Spec Ops every 2 minutes really ruins the experience. Especially because they're just bullet sponges, who don't react to your bullets. They will literally take every bullet you pour into them, until they die. And you usually have to waste an entire clip per Spec Ops guy.

It did have zombies, and even Crimson Heads. That was definately something more fun to play with. That's what I'll be looking forward to when I go back and play ORC. I watched a buddy play through the whole game, so I did get the overall experience.

Seriously, with all the great stuff Capcom's been releasing lately, Mercs3D, RER, Damnation and RE6, this one game sticks out like a sore thumb. If your a big RE fan though, and collector even, it's worth owning. It's pretty much dirt cheap by now anyway, with it being so bad, and having been out for a little while now.;)

Top Bottom