• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revelations 2 Revelations 1 vs Revelations 2

black 93

Which ones your favourite and why? Mines Revelations 2, it felt like it improved every element of revelations 1. I always thought rev 1 was a bit overated, i never felt fully in control of my character . The dodge mechanic was hit and miss, and the enemies werent varied enough ( though they were still cool). Revelations 2 improved that dramatically, the abilty to crouch anytime was great, stealth kills were a welcome addition and i just loved the crafting elements. Do i need a molotov or do i need a smoke bomb? do i need a tourniquet or do i need some wipes? dodging was actually acheivable and the upgrades in this game actually felt like they made a diffrence. The enemies were also a lot more imaginitive this time and you actually needed your partner this time around ( glasps and renevants without natalia? no thanks)And overall i just enjoyed the campaign in revelations 2 much more and iv gone back to it a lot more than revelations 1. Iv never found raid mode that great in either game so that dosent matter to me.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I think revelations 2 really out a modern touch on old resident evil styles.

The characters felt really refreshing and a good welcome and the enemy design really worked well in rev2

However I do think revelations 1 atmosphere was more tense and felt more closed in.

The story in the second game was alot better and the ending was really different compared to the usual resident evil games.

Rev2 mechanics really improved overall although I do miss the old dodge mechanic (as I thought it required more skill to pull off)

I like raid mode but they made a bigmistake not including an ghost ship type stage. Im bored on raid mode now and only return for weekend Survivor which is close to ghost ship.

I would happily pay for more dlc that includes new stages characrers and enemies.

Edit:
As Jen below said.
In the first game you was guaranteed rare weapons or parts for doing thr hardest missions which made it easier to strive to get them.
In this it's all completely random and to have a chance to get the best stuff you can only open 4 chests on code red levels.
You csnt earn any chest bonuses in events or daily missions either :/

Last edited:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I'm going to say I loved both, actually.

I had Revelations on 3DS and really enjoyed it. As Spikey mentioned above, the dodge mechanic was tougher yet still satisfying to pull off. It was quite tense, I enjoyed the setting and I had hours of fun on Raid Mode. I actually fully completed Raid, got all the weapons at Level 50 and got all the parts. Ghost Ship was so much fun to do a full run on, it was a challenge but again, that made it satisfying.

Revelations 2 was also great. I enjoyed the story, it was something different, and it was nice to see Claire and Barry again. I also liked the elements they added, such as crafting. Raid Mode was greatly improved with so many different characters to level up and all of them having unique skills, and I loved the increased variety of weapons. However, I do wonder if they made Raid a little too long and difficult to get every weapon and upgrade all the different skills, plus it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get the highest level parts. I do still really enjoy Raid though, particularly the Weekend Survivor events.

So yeah, I loved both of these games. I've spent countless hours playing both of them, and it's extra fun to play them with a friend. :)

black 93

Yeah, i did enjoy revelations 1 but i thought 2 was better, though i do think 2 had an unfair advantage with it being developed for consoles from the start. Revelations 1 was never originally made for consoles and capcom didnt know back then that revelations was gunna be a series itself. That said capcom did an incredible job transferring a handheld game to consoles. The ps3 version i played looked great and i do agree that the first game felt more isolated. Also i think the reason i havent taken to raid mode is probably because im not very good at it :p im a mercenaries man, put me on public assembly with barry and im like a man possessed lol.

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
both were great hands down!
but truly speaking IMO rev2 was by far scarier...
I don't know why but I love seeing those Russian writings everywhere!
resi-1.jpg

It's very hard for me to say. I think both are just as great. They are about the same quality and both have characters that I love. But if i had to pick 1 i would say Revelations 1 because of the variation of gameplay. It got most horror which is great, but it also have a perfect mix with action. Revelations 2 has a much beter atmosphere going on but i do feel like the main campaign could have been a bit more worked on. But that being said it was not ment to be a full fledge title like Revelations 1 was intended to be.

Anguis

2 is better by far. 1 showed a lot of promise but they wasted a lot of it with Quint or Jackass or whatever (the worst characters in RE history).

meg5493

1 i think was better overall though 2 had a better story, the first revelations game was just scarier and salvaged my hopes for RE after how much 5 disappointed me. Not the strongest story or in terms of design but the setting more than made up for it.

There are no Zombies in revelations 1 :)
there aren't any zombies in 2 either xD

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I am currently just starting another run of Revelations 1 as part of my Complete RE Saga Playthrough (all main series games in chronological order) actually. I played both Rev 1 and 2 like insane and both are actually my favorite RE games of the modern era.

However I still do prefer Revelations 1 over 2 for various reasons:

1. Jill is my favorite RE character

2. I prefer the horror atmosphere on the ship over the sometimes somewhat uneven and not as compelling atmosphere in Rev 2. The setting of Rev 1 is just much more old school then in Rev 2 and it shows.

3. The complex storyline about the early days of the BSAA and the story of Veltro and T-Abyss is far more compelling then the Alex Wesker story (which just gets really abstract and bizarre in the final chapters) in Rev 2.

4. The Raid mode is far more demanding in rev 1. Also you don´t have to level up every character seperately. I do prefer the skill mechanics in Rev 2 though.

5. The enemy types in Rev 1 are more old school. Also the Revenants in rev 2 are annoying the hell out of me.

6. Rev 1 has much more compelling supporting characters like Parker and Jessica (Moira and Natalia did not make much of an impression and since they could use no weapons they were not as useful. I admit they were still better then Keith and Quint in Rev 1)

Now don´t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the Revelations games and I am itching to play Rev 2 again (its been a while). I think these games are the perfect mix of classic horror and exploration and modern gameplay. They represent what I wanted modern RE to be ever since I played the Lost in Nightmares DLC in RE 5. And yes Revelations 1 definitely has its issues (the mobile gaming controls and slower and less fluid gameplayspeed, the too linear and action driven sequences with the other characters, the ultra annoying Keith and Quint characters) but overall I still like it better then Rev 2 because of characters, story, setting and atmosphere. One thing I REALLY miss in Rev 1 though is a chapter selection. Capcom really dropped the ball by not including that. I often would just like to play only the Jill chapters (and definitely skip the Keith and Quint chapters) or to play all the Terragrigia chapters BEFORE the Jill Chapters for chronological order but because there is no chapter selection that is not possible. Thats my main complaint with the game actually. Thank god they did not repeat that mistake on Rev 2.

That being said personally I think the Revelations games are among the best in the entire series, second only to REmake, RE 2 and perhaps Code Veronica. Definitely better then Zero and 3-6 (except Lost in Nightmares which is the most perfect piece of RE I have ever played since REmake). I just wish the technology of the Rev games could be a bit more polished and refined like in Lost in Nightmares. But since the Rev games are developed with a much smaller budget then the other games it´s understandable they don´t quite reach the technological standard of RE 5 or 6.

Which is why I hope that for RE 7 they keep using the Revelations games as a basis in terms of gameplay, atmosphere etc. That combination of classic and modern is exactly what the future of the series should been. And if you can iron out the kinks and put a major RE 6-type budget into it it could be the greatest RE game since RE 2. Just imagine Lost in Nightmares with PS4 graphics, more fluid controls and heavy focus on horror and exploration and you get pure modern RE gold.

Hell I (unlike most fans) would even love it if they would go that direction with the RE 2 remake.

Last edited:

Sackboy123

Lovely Claire Redfield
For me it's defo Rev2 only because Claire is my favourite character and I just loved the whole Alex Wesker storyline and it was nice exploring an Island however with Raid Mode I prefer Rev1 version of it however Rev2 style of it is great but Rev 1 had longer stages

Anguis

Rev2's Raid Mode is better BY FAR. Better locations, much more character variety and now there isn't that stupid "don't get hit once" requirement. I won't even complete rev1's because of that, it's completely ridiculous. Also the gameplay is much better making it way more fun. I didn't like any of the characters from Rev1 except for Jill, here we can choose Hunk, Barry, Wesker, Claire...it's fantastic. Plus, you get to play maps from various games (including the first Rev1) and Jill is playable as well.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Revelations 2 because it's actually a well thought out RE game and I hope Capcom continues on this path with the main series.

To be honest though, I personally have not played through Revelations 1, but I did watch a play-through when it came out on the Nintendo 3ds (or whatever it was). Capcom really disappointed me with the story because the trailer was completely deceiving and made the game seem more intriguing and mysterious than it actually was. Not to mention many of the newer characters were completely lame.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I think Rev 1 had some of the best new characters in years. Jessica and Parker in particular were really awesome additions. I liked them far better then previous new characters like Billy, Carlos, Ashley, Luis or Sheva.

Rev 2 raid mode is more fun, with a better skill system but I hate the fact that you have to level and upgrade each character seperately.

Rev 1 Raid is MUCH MUCH more challenging and harder though. Completing that (especially reaching max level and killing 10.000 enemies) for platinum was one of the hardest and most time consuming things I ever experienced in a video game. Its a bit easier if you have a trusted friend as a partner who also has high level and skills. Not to mention much more fun. But I don´t even know how often we played that first level on Abyss over and over and over. Like 300 times at least.

But once you get that platinum it´s such an awesome feeling, knowing you mastered this mode to its fullest. Possibly the hardest platinum I ever did. which is why it felt so much better then mastering Raid on Rev 2 (which is far less time consuming and much easier so its not as rewarding)

Sackboy123

Lovely Claire Redfield
Rev2's Raid Mode is better BY FAR. Better locations, much more character variety and now there isn't that stupid "don't get hit once" requirement. I won't even complete rev1's because of that, it's completely ridiculous. Also the gameplay is much better making it way more fun. I didn't like any of the characters from Rev1 except for Jill, here we can choose Hunk, Barry, Wesker, Claire...it's fantastic. Plus, you get to play maps from various games (including the first Rev1) and Jill is playable as well.

Their is only one Rev1 stage if you don't count the DLC and the rest are RE6 and hardly any stages from Rev2, Rev2 Raid Mode had so much potential but it was just too easy, even Code Red isn't challenging compared to Abyss in Rev1 which was fun, the Trinity bonuses were also easy to get if you use someone with shadow dancer so you can pretty much dodge anything, the only Trinity Bonus I have left to do is Ghost Ship but that won't be getting done any time soon.

Anguis

Their is only one Rev1 stage if you don't count the DLC and the rest are RE6 and hardly any stages from Rev2, Rev2 Raid Mode had so much potential but it was just too easy, even Code Red isn't challenging compared to Abyss in Rev1 which was fun, the Trinity bonuses were also easy to get if you use someone with shadow dancer so you can pretty much dodge anything, the only Trinity Bonus I have left to do is Ghost Ship but that won't be getting done any time soon.

Shadow dancer? Is that like a special ability? I dunno, I think Raid Mode looks, obviously, better, SOUNDS better (amazing audio design especially the weapons and fun soundtrack), is more fast paced and arcady and this time you can actually see how many enemies you've killed instead of having to do the whole thing all over again, sure Rev1 was more difficult, but I've lost 2 hours trying to get the trinity bonus in a couple of levels and made no progress, it's ridiculously hard. If you want it to be challenging, sure, go ahead, but it should be balanced, not almost impossible. About the shadow dancer, I had no idea that was a thing :V Oh, also, you have WAY more characters. Who likes Quint? He's a HORRIBLE character, here we have Hunk who is a badass, Leon who is a fan favorite, Jill, Wesker, Barry, Chris...the only one missing is Ada Wong.

Top Bottom