• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 vs Silent Hills (( DEMO ))

Mr.Tony

Let's face it, which one was scary P.T or RE VII ? In their demos...
Also about the VR headsets...
Wouldn't have some sort of heart attack when playing with VR ?
I wanna play it continuely NON STOP UNTIL THE END....Thats how i played most RE, like for RE 1 The starts at 21:30 / 22:00 PM and i started at the same time...and play it until dawn...how would that feels ? Being involved inside of it ? Wearing the cosplay like Chris and be Chris for a day...

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
What p1sses me off about this whole RE 7 demo - PT comparison is that I bet most people who compare them have never played any of Silent Hill game before, that's why they refer it as "PT" instead of Silent Hills and there were also sudden bandwagon jumpers who claim to be Silent Hill "fans" after playing PT.

ALL Silent Hill games pre-PT are played from third-person and I didn't hear much of a complain about how Konami/Kojima made the change as opposed to RE 7. Not to mention that PT didn't really seem to imply that there would be combat or ANY returning Silent Hill character and again people weren't bitching about it.

Basically in nutshell, most people who have NEVER heard/played SH or RE game before after finishing PT then played RE 7 demo: "OMG wtf is this sh*t it's not Resident Evil, it's a wannabe clone PT but fail waaah waaaah", if you're one of those people then let me remind you that PT looked NOTHING like previous Silent Hill tittles.

The bottom line is, RE 7 demo absolutely feels like a Resident Evil game way more than PT felt like Silent Hill.

Last edited:

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I don't know, I got pretty distinct feelings of Silent Hill 4 from P.T. before I knew for a fact it was a Silent Hills teaser. Especially the radio and the fact that P.T. progressively became more and more twisted over time, just as Room 302 did in SH4.

On the flip side, nothing about the RE7 teaser really screamed RE to me other than maybe the fact that it takes place inside a dilapidated residence. Whether it's aping on P.T. or not is up for (ultimately fruitless) debate, but I still can't for the life of me see where anything about Beginning Hour feels like Resident Evil. God knows I've tried! I really want it to...

Mr.Tony

Do you thinknk VR could cause heart attack or shock ? With the conditions i mentioned above...Anyway lets include playing it at night with tou being lonely in the house...and NON STOP GAMEPLAY UNTIL THE END....
What do u think ?

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Do you thinknk VR could cause heart attack or shock ? With the conditions i mentioned above...Anyway lets include playing it at night with tou being lonely in the house...and NON STOP GAMEPLAY UNTIL THE END....
What do u think ?
I think it would take some doing but Yeah, Maybe.
Epilepsy or blindness would be the biggest issue, There's a reason that your supposed to be a certain distance from your TV screen

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I have yet to have the chance to play either game demos but have watched a lot of walkthroughs on both and would have to say that P.T. was definitely more scary and captivating.

P.T. just felt so original with its disturbing story and frightening scare tactics and imagery. They were clever and had a strong team working on the game and it was quite easy to see that it was going to fit perfectly into the Silent Hill universe (and gave off the possibility of being one of the best games in the series). It has such an unsettling atmosphere to the point where you think anything can happen- you don't know what to expect thus making it scary to even play at times.

RE7's demo makes me think it could be a solid game and it is definitely scarier than anything Capcom has put out in recent years- in terms of the game's atmosphere. But I never really got the impression that I would need to turn the game off because it was getting too scary. I think the biggest difference that I can make between the two demos is that RE7 relies more on jump scares where as P.T. is just unsettling all the way through. Not to mention that I found myself comparing RE7's demo to other media forms- including P.T. and The Blair Witch Project. That's not a bad thing, but it also makes the experience seem more familiar.

What p1sses me off about this whole RE 7 demo - PT comparison is that I bet most people who compare them have never played any of Silent Hill game before, that's why they refer it as "PT" instead of Silent Hills and there were also sudden bandwagon jumpers who claim to be Silent Hill "fans" after playing PT.

ALL Silent Hill games pre-PT are played from third-person and I didn't hear much of a complain about how Konami/Kojima made the change as opposed to RE 7. Not to mention that PT didn't really seem to imply that there would be combat or ANY returning Silent Hill character and again people weren't bitching about it.

Basically in nutshell, most people who have NEVER heard/played SH or RE game before after finishing PT then played RE 7 demo: "OMG wtf is this sh*t it's not Resident Evil, it's a wannabe clone PT but fail waaah waaaah", if you're one of those people then let me remind you that PT looked NOTHING like previous Silent Hill tittles.

The bottom line is, RE 7 demo absolutely feels like a Resident Evil game way more than PT felt like Silent Hill.

A person who has played through the Silent Hill series knows that the series does not have to revolve around the same characters, so why would they be upset that P.T. didn't feature past characters?

Also Silent Hill 4 used first person gameplay in certain parts of the game and P.T. felt very similar to that game.

Frankly I think it is the exact opposite; RE7 does not feel like an RE title. Whereas P.T. definitely felt like a Silent Hill game (and much more).

Last edited:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
the series does not have to revolve around the same characters
Neither does RE

would they be upset that P.T. didn't feature past characters?
I could ask the same thing, why would people be upset that RE 7 doesn't feature past characters? don't some fans want Chris or Leon to retire?

Also Silent Hill 4 used first person gameplay in certain parts of the game and P.T. felt very similar to that game.
And RE 7 demo feels like RE 1 in first-person, which Shinji Mikami originally wanted to make back in 1996.

Frankly I think it is the exact opposite; RE7 does not feel like an RE title. Whereas P.T. definitely felt like a Silent Hill game (and much more).
Below I made each demo literal "likeness" / "representation" point-system gameplay comparison to what the franchise/IP they're based on. And I use "presumption of innocence" which means if something isn't implied/hinted in the demo then I asumme it won't be in the full game unless stated otherwise by the developer

1. CAMERA
- RE 7 demo: Majority of RE games are played in third-person, RE 7 demo is first-person = 0 points
- PT: Majority of SH games are played in third-person, PT is in first-person = 0 points

2. COMBAT
- RE 7 demo: All RE games have combat, RE 7 demo has weapon but no combat, however Kawata said that there will be combat in the full game = 1 point
- PT: All SH games have combat, PT does not, Kojima also confirmed there wouldn't be combat in the full game = 0 points

3. INVENTORY SYSTEM
- RE 7 demo: RE games have inventory system, RE 7 demo does have inventory = 1 point
- PT: SH games have inventory system, PT doesn't really have it = 0 points

4. HEALTH MECHANISM
- RE 7 demo: RE games have health mechanism, although RE 7 demo doesn't have it, Capcom confirmed that herbs will be back in the full game to restore player's health = 1 point
- PT: SH games have health mechanism, PT doesn't, and nothing confirms the full game would have it and considering the fact that combat would be absent too, we'll never know = 0 points

5. PUZZLES
- RE 7 demo: RE games have puzzles, so does RE 7 demo = 1 point
- PT: SH games have puzzles, so does PT = 1 point

6. SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS
- RE 7 demo: RE isn't supernatural, while RE 7 demo is seemingly supernatural, Capcom confirmed the full game won't be = 1 point
- PT: SH is supernatural, so is PT = 1 point

7. GENRE
- RE 7 demo: RE started as survival horror, so is RE 7 = 1 point
- PT: SH started as survival horror, PT is just pure horror due the lack of combat = 0 points
This is according to Shinji Mikami quote: “It’s a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it’s tough."

8. LINEARITY
- RE 7 demo: RE games are linear, so is RE 7 = 1 point
- PT: SH games are linear, so is PT = 1 point

So based on the list above RE 7 has gameplay rating 7 out of 8 of "RE-ness", while PT has 3 out of 8 of its "SH-ness".

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Neither does RE
I could ask the same thing, why would people be upset that RE 7 doesn't feature past characters? don't some fans want Chris or Leon to retire?

The fact is that once RE2 came out, Capcom established all the major characters that would be used for the entire series while introducing new characters along side the old ones. Whether that's how they intended to create these games or not, it is how it played out. Having all new characters for the next major title is a big deal and of course fans are going to bitch. For some fans the old characters are what make the series stand out amongst other (zombie) games.

That being said there is a chance we could all end up enjoying the newer character(s) introduced- so I am not completely against it. However, fans like me pay attention to story, and Capcom has left a lot of lose ends after RE6, to the point where Leon and Chris don't appear to be "retiring" any time soon. While RE7 may not be their last game, the series is to the point now where I personally just want them to establish something with the characters they have introduced to us thus far. Maybe slowly break us into newer characters if Capcom really intends to make this a never-ending game series.

While some of the creators from Capcom may have wanted to go the first-person route with the original game, they didn't and they established a fan-base that is used to (as well as prefers) 3rd person games. So again I say of course there will be complaints.

As for Silent Hill and P.T.

Silent Hill's main focus was never to kill every monster you see- in fact you can run away from most of them. Also P.T. is definitely still survival horror as you are still playing as a character trying to survive through horror elements. Health and inventory are still questionable as to what the final product of Silent Hills would have been. That being said, things like "health" or "inventory" are not what make a SH game a SH game. It is about story. First person is not something new to the main series of SH, and while I personally despise first person games, the story definitely made up for that... not to mention I couldn't imagine P.T. being in third-person, as it just wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi

Let's not forget that Silent Hills (P.T.) gets a free pass from everyone just because Kojima was involved and his name was clearly visible. Apparently he's going to be getting an award this year called "Legendary Game Designer". Which pretty much puts him and Miyamoto as the greatest game designers of all time. Which to be frank. Is both fair and true. People seem forget that the ground work that they set. Became the ultimate standard for nearly all games. Even today. At least in terms of core design and ground work. There is still plenty of innovation being done. For example BioWare's dialogue wheel and moral progression system.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Sucks I never got a chance to download the P.T. demo onto my own PS4. By the time I bought one, it was long gone. Of course I did get a chance to play it. A friend of mine was smart enough to hold onto his and wouldn't let me leave his house until I played it myself. Damn was it a nice showing. As for Resi 7? I have yet to play it but have seen a lot have playthroughs.

Between the two I think I prefer PT in the following categories.
+Tone
+Atmosphere
+Horror
+Visuals
+Sound
+Length

I am by no means saying I'm unimpressed by the Resi7 demo. Honestly it's scarier than 5 and 6 combined. It's also going back to suspenseful presentation that this series hasn't had for a long time. I don't even feel like the Revelation games had much of it either (and I actually liked them) This might just be the breath of fresh air the franchise needs. Yes I prefer 3rd person. Yes I prefer tank controls. Yes I prefer old Resident Evil! But I'm also open minded enough to see what happens. Code Veronica is my favorite Resident Evil and it did a lot of its own thing too.

Fenris

Wolf :)
I prefer P.T because it was definitely more creative and compelling. It had this certain mystic and tension that wants you to finish the game and felt more like something that is similiar to Silent Hill. I guess I'll never take a random corridor for granted now. It really reminded of what the Silent Hill 4 apartment gameplay was supposed to be. I also think it would fit in great into the series if given the chance because I certainly see some Silent Hill aspects in the demo.

The RE7 demo was an exciting experience but it really didn't gave much of a reason to play it other than the dummy finger (which was a cheap way btw.) It just didn't had the same effect P.T had on me, the whole setting and context just felt so stereotypical. I was more excited for Resident Evil trying to be scary again, rather than the demo itself to be honest.

When I played P.T I was thinking "this could be one of the best Silent Hill Games ever" while with the RE7 demo I was thinking "this could be a GOOD Resident Evil game." For me it seems like P.T is simply on a different quality level.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Well, The Room was another Silent Hill game that did things very differently.
It also wasn't originally going to be a Silent Hill game in fact. I think it was going to be a spin off either influenced by or taking place in the Silent Hill universe. I'm a little curious as to how different it would have been if it did just that? Not that it really matters now. I do love the SH4 just the way it is.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
RE and SH in general shares the servival genera but that does not mean thats scary then the other which there element are differents! RE scary and fight like hell to servive from a zombie hordes!! Kinda servival action horror! And silent hill pretty much solving puzzels while fighting a demonic evil spirit! Point is i both generalize them like this! First servival action horror secend one is servival horror game!!!!! Simple huh! Thats my opinion

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I think RE7 has Silent Hills beat. I mean, it hasn't been cancelled.

lmao.... I thought the demo was better. Silent Hills was repetitive. It was interesting and hooked you. It just didn't hook me as much. Silent Hills was creepy but it wasn't scary. REVII had you feeling like something could happen at any moment. It didn't become super predictable once you walked in a circle 2 times.

Personally I liked them both, but REVII is more for me. It had a better atmosphere. Even if SH debatably had a better concept. Both are very mentally addicting games.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
RE and SH in general shares the servival genera but that does not mean thats scary then the other which there element are differents! RE scary and fight like hell to servive from a zombie hordes!! Kinda servival action horror! And silent hill pretty much solving puzzels while fighting a demonic evil spirit! Point is i both generalize them like this! First servival action horror secend one is servival horror game!!!!! Simple huh! Thats my opinion
I don't recall there being any fighting in the PT and RE7 demos. Remember this is a PT vs RE7 demo topic not a Silent Hill franchise vs Biohazard franchise topic.

Also the evil spirit part isn't quite right...

Last edited:
Top Bottom