• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 RE5 or RE6?

black 93

Since these are arguably the two most polarizing games in the series, i was wondering which one people prefer and why? 5,6 or neither? For me i prefer 5, it just feels a lot more focused than 6 and feels more connected to the past games, like with chris and sheva finding the flowers that the progenitor virus was extracted from. Also felt like it closed a lot of chapters by killing wesker and spencer and reuniting chris with jill. RE6 to me felt like its own thing with barely any connection to past games and just seemed to mess a lot of the story up that RE5 closed. Like bringing chris back, dont get me wrong i love chris, and im not saying he should have vanshed after RE5, they could have brought him back for lost in nightmares and revelations since those game were set before RE5, but his story could have ended perfectly at RE5. He'd just killed his mortal enemy and been reunited with his partner. Dont get me wrong RE6 had some good moments and is an enjoyable game, it just seemed to lack focus and feel like it was just there for the hell of it and that it totally abandonded the previous stories. Other than sherrys G virus powers and jake been weskers son, both of which just came out of nowhere. Also give me the weapon upgrading over the skill points anyday.But thats just my opinion, feel free to give yours whether you love both, hate both or prefer one over the other :)

Last edited:

Fenris

Wolf :)
I prefer RE6. I just think RE5 didn't really had much of a story. While RE6's story was kinda rubbish it at least had one. Plus I thought that RE6 gave more variety, the only thing that felt "different" in RE5 was the battle against Jill. And in RE6 all characters mattered at some point, while in RE5 Sheva and all those random BSAA guys didn't made a difference in the story. And even though a lot of people think otherwise, there were a couple of chapters that I really enjoyed (even a chapter of Chris' campaign) while most RE5 chapters were "quite cool" but not really outstanding.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I prefer 6, but only slightly; 5 would be next in my ranking. Gameplay-wise they're pretty much the same: Running around, shooting everything and solving a few easy puzzles. But 6 has more of it with its four campaigns, I like the locations better, there are more characters, and the story is just as silly, but at least more elaborate.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Resident Evil 5 for me. I disliked 6, I felt like it tried to do too much. The campaigns all seemed over too quickly and I feel that it just interrupted the flow.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
RE5 by far, in fact RE5 is one of my favourites in the series just because of how fun it is to play, especially with a friend. I replayed it so many times trying to get the platinum and I never got bored.

RE6 on the other hand became a struggle to get through after beating it once. Everytime I went back to it I thought 'OK, I want that platinum so I just have to get through it one more time.'

The story in RE5 is a billion times better too. Neo-umbrella... The Family... I mean come on.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I prefer RE5. RE5 is at least a polished game with a focus.

RE6 was sloppily made and has 4 different scenarios and most people only like one of those four. (Leon)

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
RE5 was billion times better than RE6. At least the game was solely focused on Chris' story (which they didn't really continue in RE6, they ignored many things from RE5 in RE6), which was a very good one and I really loved it.

RE6 on the other hand felt like a terrible mess and Chris' inclusion felt out of place in 6 and his campaign was basically a RE5 2.0. I only enjoyed Leon's and Ada's campaign.

Although the gameplay was a bit too action-y, the game pretty solid and I enjoyed every minute of it. Even nowadays I play the game, while I haven't touched RE6 since I unlocked all files in the game, which was 2 years ago or something.

Last edited:

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Re6
When u got used to the controls I really enjoyed them and found it hard to play re5 again after.

I liked the enemy designs and virus affects. The difference in mutations was really interesting too.

The characters involved,
Chris Yes
Ada Yes
Leon alright I suppose
Sherrys return was a nice surprise
I guess Helena Jake and piers were pretty cool characters too.

The story was a little dissapointing though, it was just a but if a mashed up love triangle with bio terrorism thrown in.
They also continued ada and leons fling which is getting a tad exhausting now, it should have been resolved in this game.

Other bits:
I'm glad they added a reference to sheva (in a secret file she sent an email to Chris expressing her well wishes for him to get better)
At the time we all wondered why jill or claire didn't but that is now explained in revelations 2.

Although they went to far out on the Michael bane style action. Leons campaign in particular just kept levelling on thr extremes and it was too farfetched even for a Rezzy game.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I find RE 5 completely superior to RE 6. Capcom didn't hesitate to take their time with RE 5, and as a result produced a game that was very focused and polished. RE 6 felt like it was rushed. They were trying to do too much and it almost seemed like those working on it were forced to hurry to get it out and the result was a bit of a hot mess.

black 93

I like RE6, but i always seem to lose interest after leon and chris' campaigns. And with RE5 i find it much more replayable. Theres a lot of stuff to unlock and collect like the figures, the treasures the bsaa emblems, tons more weapons, files and RE history, the infite rocket launcher. Re6 had a lot too but you'd have to play through the entire four campaigns multiple times to get everything and it just seems too daunting. Also i think the mercenaries in RE5 was the best its ever been, RE4's felt basic with its lack of maps and 6 was either too easy or too hard, and not hard where it was challenging, but hard where the enemies would just disappear or be scattered all over the place (steel beast) and impossible to keep a combo going. I still think capcom did a good job considering they made RE6 in 3 years, but i think that was also its biggest downfall.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
RE5 is a better game than RE6. Despite being released a few years later, RE6 didn't look as good as RE5. RE5 had a better story with WAY better enemies. The action that people disliked in RE5 was turned up to 11 for RE6 despite customers being promised that RE6 would be a return to it's horror survival roots. While the new characters didn't hold a lot of weight in RE6, they made up for it by being a part of the most important storyline in the series so far. RE6 had a standalone story that was a mishmash of a lot of information that didn't work out quite as well. They're both good games, but RE5 felt more mature and polished by far.

Top Bottom