• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) RE2 (PS1) Graphical Weirdness?

KingGhidorah80

Hello, people. First time posting here, so be gentle...

So, I noticed a while ago that my original (day one, oh boy!) copy of Resident Evil 2 for PlayStation is displaying some really bizarre video "artifacting" during cut scenes. It's severe to the point of almost making a translucent checkerboard pattern across the center of the screen.

Has anyone else noticed this? It occurs on my original PlayStation (s-video, flatscreen CRT), PS2, AND PS3 (HDMI, LCD). The discs are in immaculate shape (I was a fussy kid), and the in-game graphics are totally unaffected.

Is this just some serious video compression that I never noticed in the past? Or is my copy of RE2 -- gasp! -- "rotting?" I should note that it is much less apparent when playing with composite cables (rather than s-video) on the old PS1.

Thanks for any input!

PS: I should also note that it does indeed happen on both discs. And that my copies of the N64 and Dreamcast versions certainly don't have this issue.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Hmm.. That's never happened to me, and mine are from the day they came out too. Sometimes there are glitches only on certain discs, maybe that's what's going on...?

KingGhidorah80

So, I got my hands on a pristine copy of RE2 Dual Shock ver., and it's displaying the exact same graphical anomaly. Have to assume, at this point, that the PS1 version of the game was simply never meant to be seen in anything but composite video, as sacrifices in quality had to be made to allow the game to fit on those discs.

That, or my PS1, 2, and 3 (and both TVs) all coincidentally hate RE2... or I have the worst luck ever, and both copies I own have the same defect. Which probably isn't even possible.

Oh, well! It's still worth playing in s-video for the massive improvements in color and clarity.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Haha, yeah. Maybe I was traumatized by watching some of my imported anime LDs go bad in the '90s, and the term just kind of stuck with me. (Can't all optical media "rot", though?)

I've only ever known LDs to 'rot', personally.

Top Bottom