• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil - Code: Veronica RE: V X noob's train of thought on 1st ever playthrough

Matt S

RE noob
Hey, hope you all don't mind, gonna post some random thoughts as I play RE: Veronica X for the first time....ever

Just finished Re-make HD on Xbox one, RE1, RE2, and RE3 (PS1) on my ps2 slim.....awesome games......first time on those too

So, started playing the Ps2 version of this and first thought: its a little fugly. I know this was developed at the same time as RE3, and it interesting to see that in RE3 for the PS1 you could run up stairs without pushing the action button, but in this one, you still have to push the action button. Weird.

Character models look nice - suprised that when you character just stands there, they don't go into a pose. They even did that in RE1. As a result, its a little too tank like for my tastes....but I am over it.

Today, just realized that there was a 360/ps3 port a few years back. $20 and I decided to bite. Widescreen alone is worth it. I saw a lot of reviews that were hard on this port, but honestly, compared to the ps2 version, its not bad at all. Only real complain: no option to change controller settings for movement. That is uncool.

So glad I played these in order.........do have RE: Survivor and will play it, but on a controller, it just feels WRONG. LOL

Thanks for reading. Will be back to play a bit more tomorrow after work.

See you all online!

M

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I hope you enjoy this! It's by far my favourite RE game and I think most people would agree that it has one of the best, if not the best story out of all the games.

It's definitely the most punishing out of all the games though. Leave a key item behind, like I did with the grenade launcher in one of my first playthroughs, and you might have to start all over again.

Matt S

RE noob
Ok, thanks for the suggestion..........So far, its not overly hard, but I do not recall getting the option to choose difficulty. Playing on the 360 re-released version.

Oh, and I realize that the character will go into a pose if she sits there for some time. Just took longer than the other games.

So far, have enjoyed all the RE games....

Matt S

RE noob
Played a little more. Liking the exploration, but the one concern: the new characters are pretty heavy in the cheese dept. Esp, their voice acting..........

Airaku

Stray Jedi
It's really cool that you got into the series and playing all the game in order :)

Though you skipped RE0? Why? :O lol

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Oh, definitely not skipping RE: O. I am playing them in order released (mostly), so I will play RE: O, but after this one.

According to the Wiki page, there was a Resident Evil Survivor 2 Code: Veronica but never released in the U.S.

That make sense. You can do that. Normally I recommend playing 0 first. Then again that's when I got into the series myself :p It doesn't hurt to play the first Revelation's game between 4 and 5, but it doesn't matter. As for rest, play them by release. Chronologically Revelations 2 is between 5 and 6.... but I think playing it after 6 is better. It has more of an impact imho.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Thanks for the suggestion on Revelations 2....I was wondering about that timeframe!

Def play it last. It's crazy good! :p

Also I recommend reading the Manga called "The Marhawa Desire" before playing RE6. It really adds to Chris and his partner's story.

Matt S

RE noob
Played more today - almost out of the Palace area - finally got the reveal about the crazy dude and his 'sister.'

On the one hand, I am very much enjoying the backstory with Umbrella. I like seeing the return of Wesker (finally) since the original game. No idea what's going on with his eyes, but I am sure that will be revealed. The not knowing is half the fun.

Steve's character would be way less annoying if they used a different voice actor. Character is hardly in it, so not too worked up over Steve.

The environments are ok - can't help feeling that this game was the start of the move away from horror to a more action-oriented take. Or maybe I just enjoyed the pre-rendered backgrounds in the first 3 on the PS1

Claire is a really great character, though, so she is 'making' the game for me. last comment for now - I like the crazy mutant guys with the one long arm, but the seem a tad goofy due to how orange they look. I'd love to see a true Re-make for this one. This guys with a more modern, creepy skin color would look pretty great. And I do like the faster zombies - got a little of that in Re3, but more this time around.

Hey, Code:Veronica is awesome, Im impressed your nailing these games for a first time in a relatively short amount of time. Back in the day, before internet and stuff, these games took me so long to beat, and I end up getting stuck on some parts. Maybe not so much Resident Evil 2, but some parts on 3 and definitely Code:Veronica. Are you getting any help from strategy guides at all? Either way good luck bro, its never too late to get into something. Especially if you got the hook ups like the older systems.

And in terms of playing in order, even though Zero is one day before Resi 1, its best to play it the way it was released because I feel it has some of the most difficult scenarios. And the makers of the game did a great job on evolving the storyline and getting a back bone as to who created Umbrella and all that stuff. Another reason why I love these games so much. Even Resident Evil 1 remake is probly better to play after CV. Mostly cuz of difficulty but it probly don't matter too much. When I play these games now, I breeze by them but I still get a great sense of enjoyment, when I first played them, I got stuck sooo much.

Matt S

RE noob
Hey, Code:Veronica is awesome, Im impressed your nailing these games for a first time in a relatively short amount of time. Back in the day, before internet and stuff, these games took me so long to beat, and I end up getting stuck on some parts. Maybe not so much Resident Evil 2, but some parts on 3 and definitely Code:Veronica. Are you getting any help from strategy guides at all? Either way good luck bro, its never too late to get into something. Especially if you got the hook ups like the older systems.

And in terms of playing in order, even though Zero is one day before Resi 1, its best to play it the way it was released because I feel it has some of the most difficult scenarios. And the makers of the game did a great job on evolving the storyline and getting a back bone as to who created Umbrella and all that stuff. Another reason why I love these games so much. Even Resident Evil 1 remake is probly better to play after CV. Mostly cuz of difficulty but it probly don't matter too much. When I play these games now, I breeze by them but I still get a great sense of enjoyment, when I first played them, I got stuck sooo much.

Thanks for the kind words and your take on Origins.......So, full dislosure: when I first beat Re-Make HD about 6-8 weeks back, I did pop in RE: Origins just to get a 'feel' for the game. Made a very good impression, but that one cloaked 'person' with the little whatever-those-things-were have not appeared in a RE game (for myself - at least RE-1-3, RE: V X) so I figure in order of release is the way to go.

I try to not use the Internet at all, as that takes some of the fun away, but did a little bit in the beginning. ironically, in the first game, it never dawned on me to actual check out an item of mine........I spent a long time trying to figure out the 'sun box' and where in the mansion a representation of the sun was - lol.

When I first started, I did play the Re-make on the updated controls, but made the decision to get the PS1 version shortly after. I was worried that using the D-pad to move was going to be very, very, very hard to adjust to, but surprisingly, not really. I almost prefer it now.....for these classic games at least.

I tend to be a bit OCD, so when i get into something, I go nuts. Last time was the Witcher series (and books), now its RE and (books - yup) Got the first RE book for my kindle - looks like its a fun read. And I always dig the expansion on the games concept.

Ended up starting over on RE-Veronica X. Got to the Tyrant, and just have way too little of everything. Its kinda scary how fast the next playthrough is when you know where to go/do.

And yes, I was very happy to get some backstory on the fmy that helped found Umbrella. First 3 games, you get no info on who/what/why they are, so I was relieved to see some of this finally come up with the 4th main game.

I skipped RE: Survivor for now, if only cause the controller for a light gun game is AWKWARD to say the least.

Dreamcast version look the most pretty. The PS2 port and all the other ports on Gamecube, PS3 and 360 is based on the PS2 version which has muddy textures. Dreamcast version with Scart cable is the way to play this game.

Matt S

RE noob
Dreamcast version look the most pretty. The PS2 port and all the other ports on Gamecube, PS3 and 360 is based on the PS2 version which has muddy textures. Dreamcast version with Scart cable is the way to play this game.

Ok, was wondering, cause on Youtube I've seen a version that looks nice. And I thought I saw a Japanese gamer doing a RE2 speedrun on a PC version. It looked much nicer than any version of that game I'd seen, but I didn't think there was a PC version of the original first 3?

On RE: Veronica X started over. Just about back to the Tyrant, but this time I've not used any ammo from the grenade launcher or the dual automatic pistols, and have no less than 4-5 upgraded health packs. Almost feel sorry for it. T-man is going down pretty hard this time.

Thanks for all the posts, all - its been fun for me. Off to work soon. Mostly like offline here until early next week!

Ok, was wondering, cause on Youtube I've seen a version that looks nice. And I thought I saw a Japanese gamer doing a RE2 speedrun on a PC version. It looked much nicer than any version of that game I'd seen, but I didn't think there was a PC version of the original first 3?

On RE: Veronica X started over. Just about back to the Tyrant, but this time I've not used any ammo from the grenade launcher or the dual automatic pistols, and have no less than 4-5 upgraded health packs. Almost feel sorry for it. T-man is going down pretty hard this time.

Thanks for all the posts, all - its been fun for me. Off to work soon. Mostly like offline here until early next week!
save all the fire crossbow rounds for the final boss. you can thank me later

Cool Matt, you can only play a game for the first time once so maybe its not such a bad thing to get stuck once in a while. (cant wait for 7 even if I keep dying left and right). That's super cool your digging the series, as a video gamer, your gonna love Resident Evil 4, theres so much aspects that even if it were in other games, itd still be fun.

In general, the games your playing now, specially Code Veronica and soon youll play Zero, are probly some of the more difficult in terms of puzzle solving and strategy ammo and health conservation, but it also feels great when you gota a lot of stock in that Item Box. Ight man enjoy!

and yea Survivor, its a total side spin off, don't even think it fits in with the rest of em. The Outbreak Files 1 and 2 are cool, you just play as 9 different civilians trying to escape Raccoon City in cool mini boards. Dead Aim is ehhhh, kinda cool. Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are a cool Rail Shooter Version of Resident Evil with a little extra storyline that does fit into the main games. Operation Raccoon City is another cool aspect of Sep. 98.

But the main games are where its at. Just like how Code Veronica doesn't have a number, the Revelations games are super big. 1 and 2.

Matt S

RE noob
Thanks, everyone! In a way, I am glad I held off playing the series till now. Think I appreciate it more currently than I would have years ago. Glad to hear these games are the hardest as far as puzzles. Nothing too crazy with Veronica. Last one had that water/sanitation puzzle that took me longer than it should have......

Cool Matt, you can only play a game for the first time once so maybe its not such a bad thing to get stuck once in a while. (cant wait for 7 even if I keep dying left and right). That's super cool your digging the series, as a video gamer, your gonna love Resident Evil 4, theres so much aspects that even if it were in other games, itd still be fun.

In general, the games your playing now, specially Code Veronica and soon youll play Zero, are probly some of the more difficult in terms of puzzle solving and strategy ammo and health conservation, but it also feels great when you gota a lot of stock in that Item Box. Ight man enjoy!

and yea Survivor, its a total side spin off, don't even think it fits in with the rest of em. The Outbreak Files 1 and 2 are cool, you just play as 9 different civilians trying to escape Raccoon City in cool mini boards. Dead Aim is ehhhh, kinda cool. Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are a cool Rail Shooter Version of Resident Evil with a little extra storyline that does fit into the main games. Operation Raccoon City is another cool aspect of Sep. 98.

But the main games are where its at. Just like how Code Veronica doesn't have a number, the Revelations games are super big. 1 and 2.
Don't diss Survivor. Those games we're great in their own ways. Specially Dead Aim!

Matt S

RE noob
Well, beat Tyrant on my 2nd go at the first half of the game. Think I wasted a bit too much ammo. Thought he would drop to his knees, then I'd have to push the cargo button to eject him. Made it to the 2nd half - the 'Oh, Steve!' moments on the plane kinda killed me/cracked me up. Very odd moment.....

Currently just getting a feel for the Antarctica level....

Top Bottom