• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Are Cell Phones Necessary?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Yes, I can totally do decimals.

@KRSkull asked this question, and I feel bad for leaving it until next week so we have two questions to discuss this week. Background to the question:

I've been chatting with some friends about cellphones and the amount of time and what we use it for compared to the amount of time its sitting on a shelf and not being touched. and it got me thinking (might be a stupid question). Is it really necessary to own a cellphone?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
No it's not; people survived without them for hundreds of years before they were invented. Not having one might make living in today's world a little inconvenient but necessary to life they are not.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I take my cell phone with me so people can reach me when I'm not at home. It also makes staying in touch easier when you're out with a group of friends and someone might get lost. Sometimes, when I don't have a book with me on a long, boring train ride, I take out my phone and play a game. So yes, cell phones are useful.

But necessary? Perhaps for people who can't do anything or go anywhere anymore without their phones, and check them all the time even when they're surrounded by friends (who, as it is often the case nowadays, also can't put the damn thing down for a minute). I kind of wish cell phones didn't have that many functions, because now there's people taking photos of absolutely everything - including their food - and putting it on Facebook. As if anyone cared. It kind of ruins social life in the same way it fosters it.

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
Considering the fact that we have imbeciles of all ages trying to drive while texting makes me want to say that I wish cell phones didn't exist. I can't count how many damn times I've almost ended up in a car accident because of some dumbass staring at their phone while they should be looking at the road.

Yeah phones can be useful, if you're smart and responsible about it. Necessary? I wouldn't say so. Like Maggie said, people have managed without cell phones. Having a cell phone just makes things easier.

mjk321

are we talking about smart phones, or old fashioned cellphones?

if smart phones, then not necessary at all. if cellphones that can only call and text, then as I said emergencies only.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I don't know about the others, but I was really referring to any kind of phone you can take with you, including smartphones, because... does anyone (besides me) even have one of those old-fashioned cell phones anymore nowadays?

mjk321

I don't know about the others, but I was really referring to any kind of phone you can take with you, including smartphones, because... does anyone (besides me) even have one of those old-fashioned cell phones anymore nowadays?

I do, that's why I asked. :p

I have these 2
K0000293157.jpg

9020f717-04a6-434c-b49f-d7e06d136353.jpg

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yes, they are necessary. It's one of the few major inventions that have really changed the world like automobiles, airplanes, and the internet. It keeps us further connected to our family, friends, and the world around us in a way people back then could have only dreamed about. It may be abused and we may have survived without them for ages but that doesn't take away from how important and useful of a tool it is and how essential it is to our constantly evolving world.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
It's not absolutely essential to living your life, but it is definitely useful to have.

I have a lot of my best friends living in different cities around England now and my phone is the best way to keep in touch with them. It's by far the fastest way too, because sometimes spontaneous plans are made if my friends are gonna be in town. It's not always convenient to get on my laptop, so I've got WhatsApp and other messaging apps so I can see if they've got in touch.

It's also an easy way to get in touch with my mum after I've finished a shift at the charity shop I volunteer at to find out what items she wants me to buy from the supermarket.

Since I've been a student, I've also had my university email linked to my phone. Sometimes emails have required immediate action, like when I had a problem with my payment for tuition fees, so it's lucky that I did get the email straight away.

The thing is though, these days everything is revolving around technology. A lot of jobs require you to have a mobile phone. I think that they're becoming more and more necessary as everybody is using them these days. It means jobs can be carried out more efficiently.

I admit that I do use my phone more than necessary, and I do almost always have it on my person, but without it I feel I would be at a disadvantage.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I honestly would be lost without my phone.
When I was growing up I got my first mobile phone at about 12 years old.
It was a crappy Nokia but was a gift, although I never really used it becsuse of lack of credit and no one to really call or message since alot of people didn't have phones that I knew of.
Anyway I got my second (first actual use) phone ad a birthday gift when I was about 16 but sadly after 2 months I got mugged and it was taken.
Then i bought my first phone after I started my job roughly a half a year after and it happened to be an iPhone.
And i have never lost, left or broke any phone I had since.
So i think i dont take my phone for granted like friends or stories I have heard from people or youngsters today who have smart phones when they're 6.

Honestly I feel like when I have kids I don't want them to have a phone until they're older.

Its not nessasary for them to have a phone until it becomes a necessity.

I use my phone for entertainment, advice, this forum, literature, a tool ect
It has became a part of my life.
I have never changed mobile numbers either because I feel like anyone at anytime csn contact me if required and I don't want to mess that up either.

So my answer would be:
It's not nessasary when you're young, but is a necessity for mid stages onwards in life

Meg

So bin ich eben
A device you can carry with you and make phone calls in case of an emergency? yes.

A device you can carry with you to be in constant communication with countless people, check FB, Twitter and such all day every day, play games, watch videos and basically do everything a computer can do but in the palm of your hand? No.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Well, if we presume it is as it does, then yeah it is necessary.
They can do everything; have a use for every second of your day.
Are they as "necessary" as food, water, or shelter? No. They're a first-world luxury considering the expense per person.
But short of food, water, or shelter, they can make everything else a heck of a lot easier.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I used to have a smartphone and downgraded to a basic text and calls only brick and it was the best decision I made. A phone is a phone - keep it that way.

They are useful and in today's modern world, there is the assumption that you HAVE to have one, like internet and cars, but they aren't necessary to life. My dad doesn't have one and he's not exploded yet. My daughter has one and her life dramatically ends every time she's parted from it until she realises she's actually having fun without it.

My autistic son will never have one. My youngest son will probably be on an ankle monitor anyway so he won't need one.

However, certain situations may warrant having one such as emergencies. Last thing you want to be doing during a major crisis is trying to find a nearby payphone and then fumbling around for change. Of course, you can always plan ahead and know in advance where the various amenities of a place are so you can reach them in a crisis but a) not many people can be bothered to do that and b) shizzle happens even to those who are meticulous planners.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I do think that a basic cell phone is necessary. People don't live as much in their own community bubble as they used to. We are travelling much greater distances in a shorter span of time and we are driving vehicles that are designed to start breaking down after four or five years in order to stimulate the economy. Our trips are more substantial than just taking a horse and buggy to the farmer's market. Things can go wrong and you're only asking for trouble if you don't have a basic cell phone on you in case of emergencies. You also have the fact that people are congregating in large cities - and as more and more people choose to reside in a relatively small area, you tend to see greater increases in conflicts and violence. Another reason it would be helpful to have a cell phone on you.

There are some features that I really appreciate when it comes to smart phones. I appreciate the GPS feature - and I rely a lot on my cell phone for this. It's nice not to have to shell out an additional $300 for this device. I enjoy having all my emails in one place and Passbook is amazing. I'm not a Facebooker and I don't use Twitter, so I don't use it for social media but if you do, I can imagine it would be helpful for staying connected.

However, I do agree when people here have said that it also tends to cause people to behave badly in social situations. Just last week I got together for drinks with a girlfriend I haven't seen for years - and what did she do? She was texting her boyfriend the entire time and at least three times she asked me to repeat what I said. If you don't want to be out with me, then stay home and text your boyfriend. Some people really need to learn how to be polite and use it responsibly.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
I actually agree with what everyone said about having it for emergency. I mean seriously in the past month i went to a few wedding parties and a few memorial services. and in both ceremonies a large group of the people who attended are glued to their phones. and there were times when i ask myself if i am attending a wedding or a memorial.

Considering the fact that we have imbeciles of all ages trying to drive while texting makes me want to say that I wish cell phones didn't exist. I can't count how many damn times I've almost ended up in a car accident because of some dumbass staring at their phone while they should be looking at the road.

These people make me want to grab the biggest rock and throw it at their windshield. I've heard that in some States the police will stop you and give you a ticket for driving while using your phone. which actually bring a very good question but i won't ask because i am feeling really bad for making @La Femme Fatale feel bad.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
A mobile device that let you make necessary phone calls is a good thing, but I've become so fed up with smart phones and how people abuse them, that I think cell phones are evil.
I was somewhat addicted to my cell phone (not a smart phone, I've never had one of those). But I learned to switch it off and to keep it off. I cured myself of my addiction. People can't reach me on my cell when it's off, but what's the problem? They can reach me in other ways. It is WONDERFUL to not be available to everybody all the time. Try it, if you're addicted.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yes, they are necessary. It's one of the few major inventions that have really changed the world like automobiles, airplanes, and the internet. It keeps us further connected to our family, friends, and the world around us in a way people back then could have only dreamed about. It may be abused and we may have survived without them for ages but that doesn't take away from how important and useful of a tool it is and how essential it is to our constantly evolving world.
Couldn't have said it better myself. In the modern day they ARE a necessity. As someone who owns and operates his own business, and has for two years, I did not actually get my first smart-phone until one year ago. Nearly an exact year ago in fact, as I got it sometime last August. Just from the business standpoint ALONE there was an almost IMMEDIATE difference. You can basically run an ENTIRE business from just your phone. Add other great features like GPS, Weather updates, and of course the obvious things that everyone does all the time anyway like Texting, and you have a one stop shop for everything. Now, imagine if you didn't have one but EVERYONE else did. We used to have an incredible amount of other devices the did all the things that ONE Smart phone does. Were THOSE devices necessary? Nothing is really "Necessary" save for food and water, but a ONE cell phone will always be better off than One GPS, and One home phone, and ONE Radio, and ONE Newspaper, and ONE flashlight. I don't really think I need to continue with examples. They're a modern day Swiss army knife that can't kill a person...

Top Bottom