• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question of the Week #13; What do you believe about yourself and the world you live in?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Let's get a lil' spiritual, guys!

What beliefs do you hold that govern the way in which you interact with the world around you? What ideas or thoughts have become prevalent in your life? What laws, principles, rules or philosophies do you personally abide by or believe to be true?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Universal laws? Can I have one or two examples of such laws?

I try to be good and do right, not because I abide by any laws but because I feel bad if I do wrong. So I live by conscience rather than universal laws.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I only follow the laws I've made for myself. They are universal in the sense that I believe if everyone followed them, the world would be a better place. If I had to sum it all up, I guess I'd have to say the "Golden Rule" is flawed and I prefer Glass Houses.

0. Be brutally honest with yourself about yourself. You won't be genuine or honest with anyone else that follows if you can't do this first. If you think you understand yourself, you're wrong. Never stop questioning.

1. If something about someone else bothers you or inspires you, measure yourself against it honestly and use the contrast you find to grow into a better person. That doesn't mean try to be someone other than yourself. Recognize the self you want to be and strive to become it.

2. Stay modest at all times except when joking or you are the best at something and offering help. Where it is clearly wanted.

3. Don't let success or power change who you are.

4. Don't ever think you are above or below anyone; you are only measuring one aspect of their and your person. A position in a hierarchy objectively amounts to nothing.

5. You will never begin to fathom what a different walk of life is like or what type of person it demands. You will never truly know whether a person is who they are because of their environment or if they were born that way. It's wise to not assume either.

6. You can judge people, but don't judge, jury, and verdict them unless you know them inside and out.

7. Take the high road until you can't. The more chances they get in the beginning, the more they deserve what comes after the last straw.

8. If you aren't an expert, listen instead of speaking. Choose your words carefully lest they be used against you.

9. Confrontations and fights are won mentally, not physically. You can get beaten to a pulp and heal but if you get in someone's head they could be fighting you internally long after the fact. People will support the person who was not openly a confrontational prick. Know that beforehand and use it to your advantage.

10. Don't outright reject any idea, taste, or belief you have not tried or tried to empathize with. If you haven't given it a fair chance, you have no right to criticize. This includes Scientology, Glenn Beck, and country music. I would never have discovered battle rap, Radiohead, or anime without this one.

11. No decision made in a fit of emotion wasn't regretted later. Act when you are calm. Always. Time is both relative and infinite. Emotions are neither.

12. No apology is too late. If you remember, they remember. Even if they say they don't, they do and it will mean the world to them.

13. Eye contact, a smile, and calling people by their name is how you start on the right foot. People are drawn to confidence. Everyone loves talking about themselves. Even if they don't do it openly with strangers. Learn to listen and you will win their hearts. Stop talking about yourself. Eventually they'll realize they know nothing about you and will want to satisfy their newfound curiosity.

14. Never be certain of your own correctness. Always be open to the idea you could be wrong. Don't tie yourself to a sinking ship and don't feel bad if it becomes apparent you were wrong. Move on and grow. The sooner you do, the bigger you are. People will respect you for it.

15. Take no information for granted. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. Be it from a friend, a parent, or published. No source is so foolproof they shouldn't be fact checked and screw them if they are offended by skepticism. No matter how elementary the thing is. If you can't explain in simple terms why the earth isn't flat, how can you hope to explain evolution? Nothing can ever be 100% disproven but if you can rule it as incredibly unlikely and beyond reasonable doubt, you're getting somewhere. Don't gloss over evidence to the contrary, it demands your attention the most.

16. Excessive open-mindedness becomes empty-mindedness. Realize when you know enough to take a stance.

Last edited:

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Universal laws? Can I have one or two examples of such laws?

I try to be good and do right, not because I abide by any laws but because I feel bad if I do wrong. So I live by conscience rather than universal laws.
I didn't include any, only because there really isn't a definite list and I don't want to lead or influence any answers but you can find some of them through a quick google search. Cheez has the right of it though; I meant this more to be 'what do you believe is true about yourself and what do you believe is true about the world you live in'. I edited the title to clarify. :)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I believe in people. I believe at the end of the day, most people will make the right choices, and that they can be relied on. Our world is no darker and scarier than it was 50 years ago. Just now, due to new forms of media we have access to it. That said, I have a superiority complex like no other, and automatically expect others to listen to me because I know everything. I'm ok with living my life this way. I'm happy.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
1. To whom much is given, much is expected.

2. Every person has the ability to attract things into their life with their thoughts and intentions. You manifest the life you believe. The only thing keeping you from what you want is the story you keep telling yourself about why it can't happen.

3. Everybody around you is a teacher for you. Remember names.

4. You get as much from your losses as you get from your victories. Your losses are there to wake you up. Failure is the cue to ask yourself what is the next right move.

5. You don't have to worry about trusting other people if you trust yourself. Never invest more than you can afford to lose.

6. Self-deprecating in jest and grateful for what you have.

Scrumpeh

Sleepy Person
Premium
My Father always told me to be polite and kind whenever possible. He also taught me that you can never tell who is struggling in their life just by looking at them. Through that I learned on my own that being kind to someone who's struggling, even if it's just a few kind words, can change their day for the better.

I don't really know if this actually answers the question or not, but it's something that I'll always do. To think that I got someone to so much as crack a smile on a bad day is rewarding enough for me.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
My Father always told me to be polite and kind whenever possible. He also taught me that you can never tell who is struggling in their life just by looking at them. Through that I learned on my own that being kind to someone who's struggling, even if it's just a few kind words, can change their day for the better.

I don't really know if this actually answers the question or not, but it's something that I'll always do. To think that I got someone to so much as crack a smile on a bad day is rewarding enough for me.
I like this answer. A regular Shonen hero if I ever saw one.

Meg

So bin ich eben
It's hard to sum up everything I think about myself and the world and such. But one thing I know is true is that doing harm to one is doing harm to all. And of course the opposite is true to; doing good to one is doing good to all. Not sure if that's the best way to word it, but you get the idea.

LordGolbez

I am glad to see that these are still going and this was a great topic Femme. Everyone here has great points and I suppose it is what works for them but as for myself I don't have any rules but one.

I am what I am and you are what you are.

I have no judgments and expect nothing because the world is always changing and the conventions that we hold dear sometimes hold us back. My sabbatical, so to speak, has taught me many things and some lessons were harder to learn than others.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Been meaning to reply to this thread for a while but kept forgetting, so I'm a little late to the party.

For me, one of my main personal beliefs in life is that you should treat people as you yourself would like to be treated. This is why I endeavour to be kind to people as much as I can.

Also, you can't expect everything you want to just fall into your lap. You have to work for it yourself.

Always be appreciative for the good things that other people do for you.

Don't take anything for granted.

Top Bottom