• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Playing RE6 for the first time - everyone warned me to avoid...lol

Matt S

RE noob
Just started, and it's a pretty game, for sure. Small changes in the controls ie left stick picks up items is kinda weird...

Curious to see how this goes.

After having play RE4, then RE5, then RE: Revelations back-to-back-to-back, the progression to more action kinda makes sense......really started in RE4

Matt S

RE noob
So far, the leon storyline has been pretty good. And settings are pretty atmospheric. Kinda feels like a return to classic RE in some ways

My general feel for Leon is that it's kinda like a mediocre Revelations game. It's not bad but not really that great. After playing this game for so long i've actually started to really enjoy the other campaigns more. I even like Chris's campaign the most almost.. And that was the one I hated the most first. RE6 is a hard game to really like but after many playthroughs I we're able to see pass all the bull**** Capcom threw at us.

Matt S

RE noob
So far, I have played (or playing to be more accurate) the Leon storyline. Just made it past the puffer type zombie boss. So far, this game feels like RE: Outbreak 3 a lot - its a very nice looking game and feels really smooth framerate wise.

So far, I'd say it's on par with RE5 for me. But, have a lot of game to go

Matt S

RE noob
Just finished the Leon storyline and not afraid to say that I really enjoyed it. There were some odd choices, like the hyper-sexualized boss in the middle and the T-rex looking Zombie boss, but all-in-all, a lot of fun. And I've a lot of game left

berto

I Saw the Devil
Just finished the Leon storyline and not afraid to say that I really enjoyed it. There were some odd choices, like the hyper-sexualized boss in the middle and the T-rex looking Zombie boss, but all-in-all, a lot of fun. And I've a lot of game left
What're you playing on?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, if not on PC then the new release is the best way to go. With the improved frame rate and other features for the enhanced hardware you are getting a better experience. It's still got it's flaws but I actually rather like the game.

Hey, Resi 6 rules! Im confused as to why a lot of people are bashing Resident Evil as of late. I see peoples post saying they're not even excited for 7! I respect peoples opinion, I know its just a game, but for the Resident Evil series, I feel like they have been evolving and expanding, rather than just making the same game over and over.

Theres just some contradictory remarks, how Resident Evil 4 is so great, but then 5 and 6 get bashed? Resi 5 actually has some of the most core element story line of Resident Evil, capitalizing on the feud between Albert Wesker and Chris. And im not so sure why 7 is getting hate, I hear people saying they want their old favorite characters back, but when they got everybody in 6, 6 got bashed? weird. And there are some people who haven't played Revelations 2, thinking its a spin off side game.

Im just generally speaking, whenever I read magazine articles or anything of the sort, they say the franchise has died and alienated its fans. And I just don't get those comments is all. The one thing I could nitpick about 6 is that there weren't any in game files to read, but those serpent emblems have a lot of bonus value to them, making it even more rewarding to find them, unlocking all sorts of goodies to read in the jukebox section.

Sorry if Im ranting and all, Matt, Im glad your able to have fun and enjoy it. Resident Evil is one hell of a game franchise where the story being unfolding today still has relevancy to what it created 20 years ago. Resident Evil 7 is almost Resident Evil coming full circle, I know the makers of the game back in the day wanted a first person game, Survivor is a first person game, Dead Aim is kinda first person, Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, are they more considered in the rail shooter genre? I guess yea. Im up for something new. Gameplay aside, new characters seem interesting, and maybe they'll tie in some characters that were familiar with in previous games to connect everything that's been going on.

Well, Resident Evil 6 rules, the 2 player feature is great if you got someone to play it with, the characters are all Resi favorites, Leon and Chris in the same game with a completely different campaign, awesome. And the return of Sherry Birkin, super freakin cool. This is coming from a person who is able to play and enjoy all Resident Evil games. 1, 2, 3, Survivor, Code Veronica, 1RE, 0, Dead Aim, Outbreak 1 n 2, 4, 5, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, Revelations 1, Operation Raccoon City, 6, Revelations 2.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Hey, Resi 6 rules! Im confused as to why a lot of people are bashing Resident Evil as of late. I see peoples post saying they're not even excited for 7! I respect peoples opinion, I know its just a game, but for the Resident Evil series, I feel like they have been evolving and expanding, rather than just making the same game over and over.

Theres just some contradictory remarks, how Resident Evil 4 is so great, but then 5 and 6 get bashed? Resi 5 actually has some of the most core element story line of Resident Evil, capitalizing on the feud between Albert Wesker and Chris. And im not so sure why 7 is getting hate, I hear people saying they want their old favorite characters back, but when they got everybody in 6, 6 got bashed? weird. And there are some people who haven't played Revelations 2, thinking its a spin off side game.

Im just generally speaking, whenever I read magazine articles or anything of the sort, they say the franchise has died and alienated its fans. And I just don't get those comments is all. The one thing I could nitpick about 6 is that there weren't any in game files to read, but those serpent emblems have a lot of bonus value to them, making it even more rewarding to find them, unlocking all sorts of goodies to read in the jukebox section.

Sorry if Im ranting and all, Matt, Im glad your able to have fun and enjoy it. Resident Evil is one hell of a game franchise where the story being unfolding today still has relevancy to what it created 20 years ago. Resident Evil 7 is almost Resident Evil coming full circle, I know the makers of the game back in the day wanted a first person game, Survivor is a first person game, Dead Aim is kinda first person, Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles, are they more considered in the rail shooter genre? I guess yea. Im up for something new. Gameplay aside, new characters seem interesting, and maybe they'll tie in some characters that were familiar with in previous games to connect everything that's been going on.

Well, Resident Evil 6 rules, the 2 player feature is great if you got someone to play it with, the characters are all Resi favorites, Leon and Chris in the same game with a completely different campaign, awesome. And the return of Sherry Birkin, super freakin cool. This is coming from a person who is able to play and enjoy all Resident Evil games. 1, 2, 3, Survivor, Code Veronica, 1RE, 0, Dead Aim, Outbreak 1 n 2, 4, 5, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, Revelations 1, Operation Raccoon City, 6, Revelations 2.
I can't comment as to why people loved 4 and hate 5, because I loved both. Maybe it's because 5 went even further with the action. Like I said, I don't know.

However, I am one of the people that didn't particularly enjoy Resident Evil 6. The reasons I didn't enjoy 6 was because it tried to do too much. Having four campaigns ruined the immersion of one full length storyline, it made it too stop-start. It was very linear too, which it had to be to incorporate all the different storylines of course, but it just ruined the exploration.

Now, as for RE7, I was extremely hyped before the announcement. After the announcement, not so much. I've spoken before about the fact that there are some pretty big changes. The return to horror is a good thing to me. What I'm not so keen on is the first person aspect and no characters. I don't really play first person games. I think the only one I have played is Dying Light, and that made me feel terribly sick for the first few days of playing it and also I just prefer third person in general.

In your post you said that you didn't understand why people bash RE6 when it had all the characters, but complain that RE7 has none of the mainstays. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally it's one extreme to the other, just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, where everything was either to much, too little or just right. Yes, I feel that RE7 needed scaling back, but not that much. Also, I do feel that the characters could still be in an environment that is scary. Just take away their weapons somehow.

However, I do have to say that as a game in and of itself, I am getting slightly more interested in RE7. I'll still play it and judge it fairly afterwards. Also, this is in no way an argument against people who like RE6 and are hyped for RE7, I'm happy for those people, but these are just my personal thoughts as one of the people you mentioned in your post. :)

Last edited:
Hey Jen, I think I understand your point of view towards a dislike of 6. Compared to Resident Evil 1 and others, maybe there is a little less exploration aspect missing from 6. That I can agree on, but from what people didn't like about it, being to over the top, I guess that's one reason why I like it a lot. The 4 different campaigns offer so much gameplay and excitement. It definitely separates it from the rest of the titles. Its straight up fun. But then again, even the original Resident Evils have rocket launchers, big bosses, being saved from helicopters, and good character development. Thanks for sheding some light on the topic, and maybe RE7 will surprise us with some return characters, cuz its very hush hush right now, which is a good thing. I remember when RE4 came out, it was all about this village and presidents daughter, then it escalated into something more wild, Ada, Wesker, Krauser. It got good.

Matt S

RE noob
Some good points here with the love of RE4 and hate of RE5 or RE6

I played RE4-5 and now RE6 (in the middle) back-to-back-to-back, and RE5 is the next step from what Capcom started in RE4. RE6's Leon campaign is in that same area, completely.

I can see why the RE6 Chris campaign got on fans' nerves, though. It's just outright action.

As for RE7, fans' say they want change and a return to horror, but in the end, those same fans' freak out over too much changes, such as the first person POV. It's like they cannot win one way or the other

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
As for RE7, fans' say they want change and a return to horror, but in the end, those same fans' freak out over too much changes, such as the first person POV. It's like they cannot win one way or the other

How do you know those are exactly the same fans, though? I've heard this argument a billion times by now and it doesn't get any smarter or less annoying over time. I for one love RE6, it's in fact one of my favourite REs, no matter what the majority of people says. I like the action (although it does go over the top quite a few times), the reunion of so many beloved characters, the various campaigns, the story that carries on with what the other games started, the extra modes such as Mercenaries (even though I clearly prefer Revelations' Rape Mode), the third person over-the-shoulder view and, except for a few things that could have been done better, the controls as well. Is it like classic RE? No, definitely not, and that includes Leon's campaign which, except for the fake horror at the beginning of its first chapter, is just as full of action as Chris's. In fact, Leon crashes a lot more vehicles, runs from a lot more explosions and does a lot more impossible badass stuff than Chris. But I'm not here to argue which of the characters or their campaigns is better. I'm just sick of this general opinion that just because RE6 rubbed many fans the wrong way, everyone has forfeited their right to not like this new direction RE7 is going. 7 will be the exact opposite of 6 in many regards, and since I loved 6, I'm not happy about this at all. The Revelations series provides the perfect mix of old and new elements and was generally well-received, they should have just gone with that.

Mr.Tony

RE6:
- Leon's Compaign: Deja Vu - Raccoon City.
- Chris's Compaign: Call of duty: Modern Warfare version of RE.
- Jake Compaign Uncharted Gamestyle RE.
- ????? Compaign Old style puzzeled gameplay.
Gooood lucky luck!

Unknown

The thing that makes RE6 worth it for me is the character interactions. The story itself is ridiculous but it was entertaining. You can tell Capcom really loved putting Chris and Leon on-screen, uniting Chris and Sherry, mentioning Claire, it's fanservice heaven. And I really didn't expect Jake to work out but they managed it, for the massive asspull character that he is, he's alright.

That's what helps me see past the mediocre bordering on plain bad gameplay design.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
I personally think that RE 6's controls are good for a third-person shooter game. It didn't really feel clumsy.

The main issue with RE 6 is that Capcom were pandering too much with it. And it's clear that RE 6's "one size fits all" approach and core assets as an RE game did not work. Now so far RE 7 fortunately seems to be avoiding all of that by looking to be what's truly and essentially RE from the get-go.

Last edited:

Matt S

RE noob
Just started the Jake campaign, and I am enjoying it. I could use a little more story and a little less action myself. Not bad. Glad they are going more horror-centric in RE7 though

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I can almost completely agree with @Jen. I loved the action direction the series took with RE4 and they continued with that direction with 5 and 6. RE5 is easily one of my favorites from the series despite some flaws in its storytelling. As @Jen mentioned alread, RE6 struggles the most from having too much going on. She's absolutely right with how it ruined the experience of feeling completely immersed in the game's story.

I loved RE 4 and also enjoyed seeing Leon and how he's changed from that rookie cop in RE2 to the experienced agent in RE4. But Capcom could have, and should have, done away with Leon's entire campaign in RE6. Despite fans' love for Leon, he was a static character in that game. By the end of RE6 we see nothing has changed for his character and he doesn't do anything that Chris, Piers, Sherry, or Jake couldn't have done with better writing and imagining of the game's story.

The main thing was Chris and Leon meeting for the first time on screen, but that lasted no more than 5 minutes. Nothing else happens. They should have worked him better into the storyline that follows Chris and Jake. Leon should have been Sherry's partner from the beginning, meanwhile Ada's story could stay the same. Then they could either have Chris working alongside Jake by himself or add Piers into the scenario. Either way, it would have left Chris with the task of keeping Jake alive and, eventually it would be revealed to Chris who Jake is thus making it all the more ironic for the characters and interesting for fans to witness things play out.

Despite its sloppy storytelling (which did have some great concepts) I enjoy playing RE6 and find the gameplay to be fun. I think a lot of fans were quick to rip it apart but it is understandable. It's frustrating when you see some really good ideas mixed in with really stupid decisions that clearly weren't well thought out.

Mr.R

To be honest, I think RE6 is pretty underrated. On my opinion, RE6 is a much better game than RE5, if you pick the gameplay aspects. RE6's controls for a 3rd person game is amazing! You can dodge without the need of a QTE and you have freedom of movement. I REALLY like RE6's controls and it matches our highly trained heroes. I also liked most of the enemies. The quicker and aggressive zombies, the j'avos and their multitude of transformations. It's nice, plus the AI character doesn't bother you in any way. Of course, the game isn't perfect...all of the vehicle sequences are pure garbage, the graphics (altough beautiful and detailed in some parts) are very inconsistent and the story is...just meh (but for me Code Veronica has the most "meh" story of any Resident Evil...but I still find RE6 story too convulted, with the unnecessary cloning thing.).
The only thing I can't stand on RE6 is....Ada Wong. They ******* up her character badly. She's just an egocentrical, blasé, Batman-esque god sue. She's looking A LOT like Alice, from the movies. I hate Ada in 6 and I hate most of the gimmicks on her campaign (like the horrible "stealth" sequences). But still...it's one bad campaign, one okay campaign (Jake) and two good campaigns (Leon and Chris).
So, in the end, I think people don't really analyze RE6 for what it is, but for what they think it should have been.
For me, RE6 is a good game, a good modern Resident Evil and I still have fun beating it every once in a while, plus Mercs is still fun.

Top Bottom