• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil - Code: Veronica P***ed off. (Spoilers inside).

STEM_inhabitant

Nearing the end of this game and I reached the point where Claire has to go through infected Steve first, followed by the boss battle with Alexia as Chris. What the *censored* was Capcom thinking here? There's no typewriter but an inventory box in the room where you start playing as Claire again- and it took me a number of retries to figure out I couldn't beat Steve and I absolutely had to have at least two healing items to outrun him, because the boss battle was designed in a way that doesn't allow you to dodge his attacks. Brilliant.

All that was okay, even acceptable, not too frustrating, I guess, but the game follows this up with another boss battle immediately without a savepoint in between. I'm playing as Chris now and I don't have the grenade launcher or the fire bolts in my inventory because I had no knowledge that this would happen, and Capcom is apparently punishing me for not being *censored*ing clairvoyant.
This is not smart game design that makes me think "Oh s**t, this is so cool and challenging! best RE evar!", no, instead it's a stupid, senseless design that only frustrates the player.

I don't even mind a good challenge, I enjoy boss fights, but this is kinda ridiculous. I can imagine the nightmare some people might have gone through if they had last saved the game hours ago.

I'll probably get past this debacle tomorrow, I'll make sure to equip the important weapons as Chris before arriving to Claire, but this whole episode destroys a lot of admiration that I felt for the game and it isn't redeemable. It just sucks. Hell, I'll probably look back on this post tomorrow and laugh at it, but that doesn't change how infuriating the game just got.

/endrant

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Yeah, Code Veronica makes it real easy for players to dick themselves over. I think its the only game in the series to do it. Well, anyway, good luck with it

RedfieldFan

The reason there isn't a typewriter when you switch back to Claire is probably in case you need to manage your items as Chris before facing Steve. Had there been a typewriter some players might accidentally have saved themselves into a corner.

I really like the idea of how there are consequences in CV in terms of items like:
If you don't bring the prison guard the medicin as Claire, Chris can't get the machine guns and if accidentally leave the fire extinguisher at the medal detector you can't get the magnum.

At the first playthrough these things can be incredibly annoying but imo it makes it more interesting.

If you know when you are about to switch character you can prepare for it. Last time I played it I left Claire's handgun (which is semi auto) and ammo for Chris. It made his campaign a little easier.

You also get to decide which weapon to 'sacrifice' against Steve. My advice is to save around 20 explosive arrows and use them on Steve while running.

You can easily defeat Alexia using the magnum, machine guns, grenade launcher...

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I don't remember having issues with typewriter and/or box placement. The only thing I personally ever had issues with was the Tyrant fight on the plane on the harder difficulty.

And I don't know what possessed me to do this, but when I first played the game I never used a single flame arrow until the final boss and beat her nearly instantly.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I don't remember having issues with typewriter and/or box placement. The only thing I personally ever had issues with was the Tyrant fight on the plane on the harder difficulty.

And I don't know what possessed me to do this, but when I first played the game I never used a single flame arrow until the final boss and beat her nearly instantly.
The tyrant on the plane was awful. I thought I would have to start the game over again.

Alexia was also a pain, though. I don't remember having a bunch of ammo and the fact that her dragonfly form kept fluttering around didn't help much. I kept missing with the linear launcher.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Yea I did too lol. But it took no time at all to get her to her fly form when I saved all the arrows.

I really hope Code Veronica gets remade. I would love to play it without tank controls. I really like the soundtrack though (the suspended doll is probably my favorite score in the entire series) and I would love to see an option like in REmake2 to swap soundtracks.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Yea I did too lol. But it took no time at all to get her to her fly form when I saved all the arrows.

I really hope Code Veronica gets remade. I would love to play it without tank controls. I really like the soundtrack though (the suspended doll is probably my favorite score in the entire series) and I would love to see an option like in REmake2 to swap soundtracks.
I think this game could be incredibly phenomenal with the RE2 remake engine. It already had one of the better stories of the series, the main issues with it were literally how long it was and all the backtracking that you had to do. (I distinctly remember getting to the first or second mansion and then having to go all the way back to the cells to give Rodrigo the damn medicine to get the lighter to get by the bats.)

For me it was just too long and difficult to try and fight with the tank controls and there really wasn't any way to try and shorten your playthrough. Code Veronica would probably be the one to most profit from a remake.

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
man i hate tyrant. i thought the game is broken and i died over 30 times until i could drop that idiot out of the plane.
i always say that writers in RE Veronica wanted to examine how many players can survive from throwing the game-pad before they scream and cursing the game :twisted:
anyway i had no problem with Steve. not a chance for staying and fight, i just run out . i died few times but compare to Alexia and Tyrant in the plane, he was piece of the cake.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That Tyrant is a tough battle. Alexia is quite difficult too but mostly because she is hard to target with those ancient controls. haha.

What bothers me most about this scenario is directly AFTER that battle when Chris and Wesker have a Matrix style battle only to run away from each other until RE5.

Alexis Evanz Reider

Legendary survivor
That Tyrant is a tough battle. Alexia is quite difficult too but mostly because she is hard to target with those ancient controls. haha.

What bothers me most about this scenario is directly AFTER that battle when Chris and Wesker have a Matrix style battle only to run away from each other until RE5.
Specially tje last shot.

RedfieldFan

The tyrant can be defeated quite easily. As soon as the battle begins use all the gas grenades and then around 5 explosive arrows. Then turn to the console and blow it out of the plane. Minimal loss of ammo and no loss of health.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Alexis - Yeah, that last shot specifically is KILLER. Especially if you miss and have to wait for it to be ready again.

RedfieldFan - Next time I play, I will have to try that. It is quite a compact space if I recall though. Super claustrophobic.

Top Bottom