• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Operation Raccoon City My mail to Slant Six, about infinite melee on MP

CrashOkami

The Survivor
I took the time to write a, rather short, e-mail to Slant Six, being completely kind and expressing my request in the best way I could. Note that it starts off with personal views and opinions, and some might consider it ass-licking. I don't care though. I just want the MP, which I immensely enjoy, to be fixed ASAP. Here goes the letter:

"Hello,

Being a long-time gamer and a supporter of game developers who I think have potential for something big, I pre-ordered your latest game, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, and since day one, I honestly can't put it down. I was playing SOCOM: Confrontation up to that point, and I thought this was a no-brainer, since your skills at creating engrossing shooter games are very fine. I want to congratulate you on making a quality game, one that's very enjoyable online or offline. But I do have a problem with it, and it's not something exclusive to me.

I assume you are already familiar with the "infinite melee lock" problem. If not, a short explanation; people can literally lock you into a never-ending cycle of melee attacks and decimate you, with you not having the chance to do anything, from running away to attacking back. It unbalances multiplayer horifically. For example, if your team is carrying the virus in Biohazard, you can hold back attackers for many seconds just by melee-locking them and stealing their time, while not risking your head at all, instead of putting up a fair fight in which you may as well lose. I've found myself in situations where people manage to get close enough and lock me up after they've used Assault's "invincibility" type ability, making it impossible for me to have enough time to turn around and sprint away, in which case I'd get gunned down, or fight back, so it's completely imbalanced. People exploiting unfair game mechanics to their advantage are the minority, and they turn off the fair-playing majority.

What I'd propose is that players get a 2 or 3-hit melee attack, and after that, they have a cooldown period of 2-3 seconds before they use melee again. Or, if not those seconds, a bit longer than the amount of time needed to recover after being knocked down, since this is a problem as well; people knock you down, melee you as you're getting up, and then knock you down with melee again. As it is now, it's killing the fun of playing against people when it occurs, and this is a multiplayer-centric game.

Please, consider a quick solution to the matter, do not let your people down. Because I know no developer can ever be perfect (I'm a programmer myself and I know how it works out), I don't go on mindless rants about anything that can be fixed. I hope you take the message seriously and do something about it, I've been in online discussions, with many different people, and although everyone enjoys and praises how well the game is put together, this subject is more than often brought up as a complaint, and people are really looking forward to it being fixed. Thank you for your time!

With kind regards,
Christos"

Do you think Slant Six will reply back, or even better, fix the problem quickly - if at all? I'm sure they'll not drop support of the title easily, it's their chance for something big. They reached out part of the RE audience, people that were not interested in SOCOM-like, military shooters, their previous games. They wouldn't want to give those people the impression that they abandon their titles after launch. Anyway, I'll use this thread to update anyone interested in it and how they're working on it.

Mario!~

PSN: Mario-Bros-Nick Add me!
You call that a short email? :eek:

I think they may respond, or they may not even open it due to the hate that's going their way. I know they respond to people on Twitter, like, "Sorry to hear that" But at least they take the response. So my guess would be a maybe. At least I hope so!

CrashOkami

The Survivor
Yep, I actually like to talk a lot, that's relatively short for my standards :p

I want to believe they'll acknowledge what I state in it even if they don't answer back, and I bet on the fact that it's polite, and not another "FIX TEH GODAMMN MP SUKCERZ!!11!!1!1" statement.

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
its like capcom writing you back, it will never happen....you should of added of horrible the team A.I is in the game...thats my biggest problem!

CrashOkami

The Survivor
I honestly don't mean to insult you Hellboy, but I really can't see any problem with my team's AI. Not saying it doesn't exist, but so far, I've only once encountered team AI problems since day one. Maybe the day one patch took some care of it? Have you downloaded it?

HELLBOY1980

sometimes dead is betta ..(Jud Crandall)
I honestly don't mean to insult you Hellboy, but I really can't see any problem with my team's AI. Not saying it doesn't exist, but so far, I've only once encountered team AI problems since day one. Maybe the day one patch took some care of it? Have you downloaded it?
- i ahve it on the PS3, what patch are you talking about they never came out with a patch yet?? The A.I is horrible..they run into fires and stand there till they die and cant revive you or any other player.

CrashOkami

The Survivor
I'm playing it on the X360, and I was prompted to download a patch as soon as I booted it up, and I guessed it was available on the PS3 as well. Man, bad coordination if it really isn't available yet.

Top Bottom