• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is there an RE game you just cant get into anymore?

black 93

As the title says, is there a game you just cant get into anymore? I mean in the main series. For me its RE4, i just cant get into that game anymore no matter how hard i try. Its a shame because it used to be one of my favourites. I think its a mixture of having played it to death, and the fact that everyones rammed it down my throat for years. "Best RE game ever!" "Best Horror game ever" "After this the series died". Im the kind of guy where i always seem to prefer the things that everyone hates. Id play RE5 over RE4 any day of the week, to me RE4 just feels so far removed from the rest of the canonical timeline that if it didnt exist, it wouldnt create any big plotholes. I dont know what it is, but i can play 1,2,3,5,6 and revelations 1&2 again and again and i dont get bored.( zeros also a bit of a grey area) But with 4 i just cant seem to get any further than the village area before i turn the game off and never get around to it again. Im not taking anything away from 4 because it is and still was enjoyable but to me its just got old with tedium.

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
As the title says, is there a game you just cant get into anymore? I mean in the main series. For me its RE4, i just cant get into that game anymore no matter how hard i try. Its a shame because it used to be one of my favourites. I think its a mixture of having played it to death, and the fact that everyones rammed it down my throat for years. "Best RE game ever!" "Best Horror game ever" "After this the series died". Im the kind of guy where i always seem to prefer the things that everyone hates. Id play RE5 over RE4 any day of the week, to me RE4 just feels so far removed from the rest of the canonical timeline that if it didnt exist, it wouldnt create any big plotholes. I dont know what it is, but i can play 1,2,3,5,6 and revelations 1&2 again and again and i dont get bored.( zeros also a bit of a grey area) But with 4 i just cant seem to get any further than the village area before i turn the game off and never get around to it again. Im not taking anything away from 4 because it is and still was enjoyable but to me its just got old with tedium.
Well maybe it's because we played it alot... I personally finished the leon's campaign 23 time not to mention other mini games...

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I would have to go with Resident Evil 0 out of all the games. It isn't a bad game per say and is worth a playthrough at least, but the story doesn't do much for me and is a bit over-the-top in terms of explaining how Rebecca and the rest of Bravo team wind up in the mansion.

I did try replaying RE4 a while ago (since RE5 and RE6 came out) and gave up on it pretty quickly because of the controls. I'm so used to the other games that it was pretty frustrating trying to play through it again. Plus I don't really find the story all that entertaining anymore like you guys said.

hmm interesting. For me it depends, sometimes i like to play a certain game in the series more to later move on to another and then go back and so on..

But Resident Evil Zero is that one game in the series I just never can't get in to no more. I pretty much only enjoyed it when I first got it.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I definitely agree with those who said RE 0. In fact, RE 0 was the one game I could never get into in the first place - I think I only got half-way through before quitting. I never found Rebecca a compelling or interesting character, I hated the inventory system (or lack-thereof, rather), and it came across as terribly redundant following the release of REmake. I just felt it didn't add anything new or exciting to the series - and at that point I had lost interest in zombies anyway. Had it not been for RE 4, RE 0 might have chased me away for good.

The only thing I liked about it was the scenes with Wesker and Birkin, and that James Marcus' younger self kinda looked like Bowie.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Operation Raccoon City. I pretty much refuse to play that game....
Oooh I did hate Operation Raccoon City as well, there was just too many bugs with that game along with me not really caring for the characters. But in terms of actual canon videogames, definitely RE0.

What CAPCOM should do instead of making another game like ORC, since they want to make a shoot-em-up game, is make an elaborate mercenaries game featuring all the characters from the series (both updated looks as well as past looks for the characters) and different playable maps based on past games as well as some cool random places. Maybe have the characters interact with one another during the gameplay (like at the very end of Chris' campaign in RE6 where the dialogue between the characters is affected by who they are paired up with). Have different types of missions other than just killing the most enemies, such as "capture the flag" type of missions with teams of different online players. I would buy that game in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Oooh I did hate Operation Raccoon City as well, there was just too many bugs with that game along with me not really caring for the characters. But in terms of actual canon videogames, definitely RE0.

First off! I'm going to be the vocal one here!!!! I don't understand the hate toward RE0. It's not quite as good as the first Resident Evil but it was a fair close second out of the classic games. The only thing that I can see people having a problem with is how most of the enemies are animals. This makes sense because of all the testing Umbrella did on them. In the original RE you find more animals as you get further into the game. I will also say that James Marcus's death was dumb and he was a missed opportunity that could have resulted in a deeper plot line. As far as the canon goes... he may just be the most important villain of the original trilogy. Without him... Umbrella would not have met its downfall in the similar matter. His outbreak was the prelude to the fall of Umbrella. He may have died all those years ago, but his queen leech in his likeness brought upon his burning desire of revenge. James Marcus had succeeded in his plans in every way.

As for the pros of RE0! The setting was great, the game was a little more challenging than some of the others and the leeches are easily the creepiest monster in the entire series aside from the Regenerators from RE4. I will also debate that Billy Coen is one of the best protagonist in the series and his character has more depth than most of the other protagonists. His compelling story is contrast of being a guardian angel, outcast as a demon for his sins. Ones that haunt him, no matter how noble his intentions were. He did what was right, saving those children, those families.

I fail to see how RE0 was a bad game. I dare say it was better than RE2? RE2 was easy and didn't have a single moment that made me feel tensed up or rushed with adrenaline (I don't get scared from films or games Q.Q) RE4 had far creepier moments and RE5 had me going "oh **** oh ****" because I couldn't see the enemies behind me (I'm one of the few that find the behind the shoulder view more intense because I don't know what's behind me. In the originals I was aware where everything was). Don't get me wrong, RE2 was a fantastic game, but it was the first action orientated game in the series imho.

What CAPCOM should do instead of making another game like ORC, since they want to make a shoot-em-up game, is make an elaborate mercenaries game featuring all the characters from the series (both updated looks as well as past looks for the characters) and different playable maps based on past games as well as some cool random places. Maybe have the characters interact with one another during the gameplay (like at the very end of Chris' campaign in RE6 where the dialogue between the characters is affected by who they are paired up with). Have different types of missions other than just killing the most enemies, such as "capture the flag" type of missions with teams of different online players. I would buy that game in a heartbeat.

As for your idea of a merc mode game. I absolutely love the concept. As long as it isn't considered canon if they are using main protagonists, I am in! That sounds like a lot of fun! I love it! RE5 was easily the best multiplayer in the series and also it's first. It did a good job for a single player only series and was a ton of fun. I would not mind a stand alone game like that with all these interesting game modes. It must remain PvPvE!!!! That is something that defines the multiplayer in Resident Evil!

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Airaku, no one here has said that RE 0 is a bad game per say. The thread is asking users what RE game they just can't get into anymore. Just because someone can't get into a game, doesn't mean it's bad in itself. A few people have said RE 4 - but that game has won bucket-loads of awards.

I'm sure RE 0 is a very decent game. I just didn't enjoy playing it. My problem with the game is that it doesn't offer anything the REmake hadn't already served up to perfection the year before. The REmake, I feel, was the culmination or peak of what the previous games had to offer - Capcom couldn't top it without trying something new. However, RE 0 was predictable and used the same formula that all the previous RE games did. For me I always felt it was obvious RE needed to head in a new direction. I don't feel the series would continue to be as successful had Capcom not opted to try something different.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I can see what you're trying to say. In many ways the game didn't need to be much different as it was supposed to be a lead up to the events of RE1. It would be silly if the game played differently when it lead to the events within 24 hours or less (if I recall right, I played it when it first came out so excuse me if my memory is hazy on the timing). At least that's how I perceive it. Some might feel the game was almost like a long expansion in many ways (I disagree on this, but I see the why)

You are correct that no one said RE0 was bad and that they just couldn't get into it. Though I've seen so many people call it a **** game online without any justifiable cause. So in that sense I felt the need to speak up on the matters as I don't understand why people didn't care for it. To me it was a very solid entry in the series.

black 93

I can see what you're trying to say. In many ways the game didn't need to be much different as it was supposed to be a lead up to the events of RE1. It would be silly if the game played differently when it lead to the events within 24 hours or less (if I recall right, I played it when it first came out so excuse me if my memory is hazy on the timing). At least that's how I perceive it. Some might feel the game was almost like a long expansion in many ways (I disagree on this, but I see the why)

You are correct that no one said RE0 was bad and that they just couldn't get into it. Though I've seen so many people call it a **** game online without any justifiable cause. So in that sense I felt the need to speak up on the matters as I don't understand why people didn't care for it. To me it was a very solid entry in the series.
Dude, i love RE0! Its just one of those games where its very tough in areas and its pretty long compared to the rest of the old school games, so when i get to the end im just like "phew" lol. I gotta say though, the atmosphere is spot on and in some areas i think it beats remake in terms of atmosphere. Walking round the train hearing the rain pounding on the roof, walking round the candle lit hallways of the traing facility seeing portraits of marcus everywhere, finding the torture room under the research facility, seeing the feet hanging out of body bags in the lab areas. The music in this game is also incredible, the research facility and the lab areas in paticular are so foreboding its awesome. The story is pretty interesting too, i think it should have been called resident evil origins with how far it went back and showin wesker and birkin killing marcus and stuff. I just wish they'd stuck the item boxes back in, checking the map and seeing the hookshot that you need for part of the lab is all the way back at the training facility never gets any less annoying. Zeros one of those games where i have to be in the mood to play it, but once i do and im into it i love it.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
RE1. Straight up the original not the other versions.

I dunno why to be honest it just feels boring to me. Probably because every game after that one had something else that could show what RE1 did when opening a door. Most of the other ones in one way or another have 2-3 ways to make you tense just by walking. I don't see that with RE1. Plus the lack of BGM made me fall asleep after a while.

Agent Spike

Resident Evil Outbreak files 1 & 2, Dead Aim, 5, 6, and Operation Raccoon City. Those games are just bad. I played them at a friend's house and I just couldn't continue playing them. They just didn't feel like RE games to me. They didn't have the charm of the older games. Say what you want about Zero, but it's way better than those I listed.

black 93

Also for me the first revelations is hard to get into. To me the story feels like it dosent flow very well, mainly because of the constant swapping of characters and locations. The game advertised Jill Valentine exploring an abandoned rotting cruise ship full of puzzles looking for Chris Redfield. What we got was some very linear ship sections, while being followed around by the most pointless AI characters ever to be in resident evil. People give sheva crap, but at least she helped you out, in revelations your partner will literally watch while an ooze eats your neck. Much of the game was bitesize padding if you ask me, fighting countless hunters as parker, then using the genesis to find a screwdriver to open a door as keith and quint, to just watch a cutscene. I dunno, the game was good but it really didnt live up to "throwback, crap your pants scary" game it was hyped up to be.

Last edited:

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
RE6. It didn't feel like RE to me. I sold it after a month or so and I have no regrets.

I borrowed a few months ago from a friend, replayed it, I liked it a little better but that didn't help much either.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Very good question! And I'd have to say Re6 as well as Re2. Resident Evil 6 for the obvious reasons and Resident Evil 2 simply because the game doesn't stand up to the serious hype surrounding it; not in my opinion anyway.

Good game just not the best Resident Evil game in my opinion.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
For me, oddly enough, it's REmake. I just can't get into it anymore. I played it for a month straight, and then nothing.
I know that REmake has obvious improvements over Resident Evil, but even despite that, I find myself playing (and beating) Long-Box RE far more than REmake. I suppose I just hate the Crimsonheads and burning bodies, and how the lockpick isn't nearly as useful.

Top Bottom