• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is RE7 an actually confirmed thing or is it a rumor?

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Have you played Lost in Nightmares? I have recently, for the first time actually, and it proves that whether or not a game is (survival) horror does not depend on the characters you're controlling. Sure, I didn't pee my pants playing this little extra chapter of RE5, it even felt like a parody at first with how hard it tried to copy the original RE1, but that underground part where you face a seemingly invincible enemy without any guns, having to resort to traps because you can't defend yourself otherwise, is actually quite good - despite the player characters being Chris and Jill, the veterans of the RE series.

Another thing I like is how you can hear someone play the second movement of the Moonlight Sonata after you've played the first one to get the emblem, but when you return to the piano room, there is no one there, the music suddenly stops and is replaced by scary ambient sounds. Again, this little effect didn't cause me to tremble in fear, but nothing in the first few games ever did that to me either, this is as scary as it gets with RE, and it can be this way with any character.

Yes I have played Lost in Nightmares. Grats for playing it for the first time :3 I'm sure you found and read the Spencer files? I'm sure you already knew about them anyways xD

Yes, it does prove that, but it takes place before the whole "action hero" **** started in the canon. As soon as we got to the end with Wesker... well... action pacted, and it's awesome! I do admit that the gameplay was good, but it didn't feel survival horror to me either. Keep in mind that I don't get scared from movies and games so I always say "That's not scary, it's fake". That doesn't mean I don't love it. I love the story and the characters in Resident Evil, I ****ing love them. Silent Hills was intriguing, but I played an older one and was bored as hell because of this very reason.

Lost in Nightmare was really a flash back to RE1. Which was the point, and I loved it! Of course it was small in scale but that's a no brainer as to why. I wasn't a huge fan of the puzzle. A lot of the time the enemies would turn around and it was annoying to kite them :/ So it was a hit and miss for me. The piano room made me so excited! Such a great flashback.

You'll probably disagree with me (Even though a lot of people feel this way) I would argue that the Regenerators in the Game Cube version of RE4 are by far the creepiest things in the game. It was the only part of the series that I felt even slightly creeped out, asides from the humanoid leeches in RE0 that require a cocktail to kill. Damn I totally knew what the Regenerator was going to do when it was on the table. The first time you encounter it. Bastard just sat there and wouldn't get up. I was waiting for him and readied myself at the door once the sound changed and I heard him get up. Shot gun pointed at the door. I went to kick it and he kicked it down on me. Yeah, he killed me. Those bastards are so much easier in the HD version xD

When it comes to Metroid other M this guy sums up pretty well about whats wrong with the game especially coming from the prime series...

Ugh I still haven't reformatted so I can't see linked youtube videos. If you post the link then I can watch it on the site. Who is it that says it? I know there's a few people that try to sum up what's wrong with a movie or game and they often miss the whole point of the source material to the point they sound pretty illiterate. Especially when I say "Did we play the same game/watch the same movie. Cuz that **** never happened in the "version" I saw/played" I can't even begin to talk about this because it actually ****es me off. Now if they produce a substantial argument, which many do, then I'm interested :p

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Yes I have played Lost in Nightmares. Grats for playing it for the first time :3 I'm sure you found and read the Spencer files? I'm sure you already knew about them anyways xD

Indeed, I already knew about them, and the way Spencer refers to Alex in those files is one of the reasons I suspected from the beginning that Alex was a woman. *imitating Marvin Branagh's voice* But no one... believed me... aaah!

Yes, it does prove that, but it takes place before the whole "action hero" **** started in the canon.

Well... Chris is already a walking mountain of muscle, though, and he and Jill already have a lot of experience at that time. But put them in a situation where they have to fight without weapons or soldiers backing them up and they might end up just as "helpless" as Moira, for example. It's funny that you bring up Silent Hill, because I always say that's the game they should look at for inspiration. Not concering the supernatural elements, which have no place in RE, but the combat system: Less guns, more melee weapons! Do it that way and RE6's new melee combat system is not yet another perk to an already nigh-invincible player character, but becomes necessary to survive because you have to get close to fight enemies and can't just rely on guns as you're used to.

You'll probably disagree with me (Even though a lot of people feel this way) I would argue that the Regenerators in the Game Cube version of RE4 are by far the creepiest things in the game.

I only played RE4 once a long, long time ago, and didn't even finish it, so I have no idea what those things are and whether or not I ever encountered one. If I had to choose one creepiest element of the entire series, the award would go to the atmosphere surrounding the Ashford twins in Code Veronica (yet another game I only played once, but at least I remember it for its great story).

meg5493

Ugh I still haven't reformatted so I can't see linked youtube videos. If you post the link then I can watch it on the site. Who is it that says it? I know there's a few people that try to sum up what's wrong with a movie or game and they often miss the whole point of the source material to the point they sound pretty illiterate. Especially when I say "Did we play the same game/watch the same movie. Cuz that **** never happened in the "version" I saw/played" I can't even begin to talk about this because it actually ****es me off. Now if they produce a substantial argument, which many do, then I'm interested :p
It's done by a guy on youtube called TheGamingBritShow he does some pretty good videos
https: //youtu.be/pX4mhp-8sOc

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Indeed, I already knew about them, and the way Spencer refers to Alex in those files is one of the reasons I suspected from the beginning that Alex was a woman. *imitating Marvin Branagh's voice* But no one... believed me... aaah!

Well... Chris is already a walking mountain of muscle, though, and he and Jill already have a lot of experience at that time. But put them in a situation where they have to fight without weapons or soldiers backing them up and they might end up just as "helpless" as Moira, for example. It's funny that you bring up Silent Hill, because I always say that's the game they should look at for inspiration. Not concering the supernatural elements, which have no place in RE, but the combat system: Less guns, more melee weapons! Do it that way and RE6's new melee combat system is not yet another perk to an already nigh-invincible player character, but becomes necessary to survive because you have to get close to fight enemies and can't just rely on guns as you're used to.

I only played RE4 once a long, long time ago, and didn't even finish it, so I have no idea what those things are and whether or not I ever encountered one. If I had to choose one creepiest element of the entire series, the award would go to the atmosphere surrounding the Ashford twins in Code Veronica (yet another game I only played once, but at least I remember it for its great story).

To be fair. I think no one believed you because Alex was specifically addressed as a man by Spencer in the Japanese version of the game. The exact quote was
That man's name: Alex." "その男の名は、アレック ス" or more preciecly, the Japanese name of Alex which is "Arekkusu":p The name also takes on a different meaning in Japan, and they very much made her character based on this. We can assume that her sickness is an organ failure (likely liver). I'm trying to find the site that has name translations and their meanings. I can't find it atm :/ So take it as you will. There was a whole list of things on there, a lot which can describe her. Which is funny because in English, Alex means "Defender of humanity" Hahaha as if Ms. Wesker xD

I never really thought Chris to be that muscular until RE5. He seemed about average, you do have a really good point about carrying those guns around. You certainly do gain some muscle mass from that alone. I do think the "helpless" aspect is something RE might need right now. I would not be opposed as RE7 having 2 interweaving campaigns like Revelations 2 did. One more horror based, and the other somewhat action based. That way the story can be consistent with the on going lore. Even using a younger generation character with an older generation character. As much as I'd like a horror experience. I'd much rather have consistency to be honest. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but story is something I really value. Capcom has never been good with consistency, but if it's done like RE4, in the sense it stands on its own. By all means go the survival horror route.
As for the idea like Silent Hill. I think it could work. The paranormal stuff can work as well, I hear a rumour about this from a couple of years ago. I think it could work out if it's something like Natalia's conception where it takes place in their head. It's possible that Jill's condition could cause her to blur with reality. Having shifting gameplay with illusions and stuff. Perhaps like RE4 was originally intending. Natalia, I assume would be the same. I actually would like a game like this, with either of the two being the main protagonist. There's no reason that Natalia couldn't be battling Alex in her head, and there's no reason that the damage by Albert on Jill couldn't have mentally ****ed her up. This is of course, nothing more that perspective speculation :p

The Regenerators don't show up until the last third of the game. They are really ****ed up. I can't seem to find a good youtube video of them any more. Now they are all how to kill them, and glitches. Back in the day, the were also known as the "Nope". They can even flop around like a fish and breathe like pedophiles. The Ironmaiden variants can stretch there arms out and grab you from a distance and pull you in. The HD versions don't have all the shadows and lighting that the Game Cube did, partially because it's a port of the PS2 version.

tumblr_no5jxcyZMB1upd3dho3_400.gif
Remember+resident+evil+4+neither+my+i+nor+my+blood_9b73d9_4441004.gif

4802691+_077b5fa1f8b157c64a9140735cbd73bd.gif
Leonvs.Regenerators.gif

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
To be fair. I think no one believed you because Alex was specifically addressed as a man by Spencer in the Japanese version of the game. The exact quote was
That man's name: Alex." "その男の名は、アレック ス" or more preciecly, the Japanese name of Alex which is "Arekkusu":p

I remember having a discussion about this with several other forum members sometime before Revelations 2 came out. The problem is I don't speak Japanese, so I can only rely on the English files, and even though that's not the original version, I can't imagine it being a coincidence that the text keeps avoiding personal pronouns when referring to Alex, even when they would have been more convenient than repeating her name over and over again. It's the exact same tactic I used in my novel series to hide from the reader that this mysterious elite soldier called Sam is actually a woman, so I saw right through it. It makes me wonder, though, how such a mistake could be made, if that's really what the Japanese text says. If Capcom went to such lenghts to ensure leaving Alex's gender ambiguous in the English version, why didn't they do the same in their own language?

I never really thought Chris to be that muscular until RE5.

I was referring to Lost in Nightmares. He was already a hunk back then, even though it took place three years before the rest of RE5. The Chris we had before was quite a lovely twink.

Back in the day, the were also known as the "Nope".

Remember+resident+evil+4+neither+my+i+nor+my+blood_9b73d9_4441004.gif

Ha ha ha! That could be me playing.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Yes and no. That is one of the reasons. I know a lot of people were angry because Samus showed a slight "emotional side". For one, that Metroid.... saw her as a mother (if I recall correctly). So yes... in a way. It's the only real attachment she may have felt. At the same time, some may say she wasn't really emotional at all. Either way she's still the bad ass she's always been. She's ****ing ruthless. My god, her kill count numbers is just retarded....

The Metroid universe is massive, yet we see so little of it in the games. The producer of a few of the Metroid games, Kensuke Tanabe, has stated that the universe is so rich. That's time to really start digging into it. He's stated that he really wants to explore Sylux. Who is a very popular character amongst fans in the Metroid universe, he stated that there is so much story for this character and that he has some great ideas. The story and his relationship with Samus may be more important than we thought. Sometimes I wonder if his little warpath is actually a case of vengeance on something Samus did. Her recklessness perhaps causing him some great personal loss?

Thinking about this is getting me far too excited for the what ever the next Metroid game may be. I'm pretty damn sure that it was Sylux at the end of Prime 3.

I can't go into detail without filling up the majority of the screen so I'll just post a video of what most peoples issues with Other M. It's quite lengthy so look at your leisure.

(Here's the video)

As for Sylux. I'd be on board for finding out what it's beef with the Samus and the Galactic federation was. The secret ending for Prim 3 left me wanting more! There's a bit of an issue however. Metroid: Other M was meant to retcon the Prime games out of existence.

Also, Capcom has told us to "stay tuned" for RE7 back in October. That's, sadly, as close to an official confirmation as we've gotten thus far, though it may finally come this year no later than E3, possibly sooner.

Ah I see. Well that's better than nothing I guess. I don't mind them taking their time however. I'm in no rush lol.

When it comes to Metroid other M this guy sums up pretty well about whats wrong with the game especially coming from the prime series...

Ah you beat me to it Meg5493! (ah who am I kidding, I'm days late to post anyway) Btw, TheGameBrit is awesome :eager:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I remember having a discussion about this with several other forum members sometime before Revelations 2 came out. The problem is I don't speak Japanese, so I can only rely on the English files, and even though that's not the original version, I can't imagine it being a coincidence that the text keeps avoiding personal pronouns when referring to Alex, even when they would have been more convenient than repeating her name over and over again. It's the exact same tactic I used in my novel series to hide from the reader that this mysterious elite soldier called Sam is actually a woman, so I saw right through it. It makes me wonder, though, how such a mistake could be made, if that's really what the Japanese text says. If Capcom went to such lenghts to ensure leaving Alex's gender ambiguous in the English version, why didn't they do the same in their own language?

I was referring to Lost in Nightmares. He was already a hunk back then, even though it took place three years before the rest of RE5. The Chris we had before was quite a lovely twink.

Ha ha ha! That could be me playing.

It's perhaps the way they worded it the documents that it was unnecessary to use "he" or "she". At the same time, I remember reading somewhere that one of the directors had no idea what they wanted to do with Alex's character at the time. They did a lot to build her up, adding a whole "Project W." story arch, the document she wrote at the end of the game, and then LiN. I kind of view Revelations 2 as a prelude to her character and for the first time introducing her to the player. Capcom probably did the story this way to come up with an excuse to throw her into a younger body to be a villain for the younger generation, perhaps? It's starting to look more and more like she was a big player pulling strings from the beginning. There's a lot of reasons, and evidence in game that lead me to believe that the whole carbon copy concept is bull**** and it's, like "apparently" that Japanese version says (if I can find this one) reincarnation. Shed one skin for another. Either way we don't get a definite answer on this for some time, we might not even see her in RE7. What we do know is that Capcom is very much pushing her story forward. We now know she's been in bed with Shenya pharmaceutical, which used her old island (South American) as a testing ground in 2014 for a new B.O.W. They are also speculated to be Umbrella's "Rival" company mentioned in RE2, and "apparently" wiped out Tri-Cell. Which is speculated to be seen in Umbrella Corps on the Tri-Cell office level. We'll see if that in a couple of months. I just don't see why Capcom would build all of this up, just to never use it again. Normally an "origin" story serves a purpose, or connection to something greater. I'm waiting for Heavenly Island to complete its run before I read them all. I am very much interested in Alex's relationship with Shenya, how that effects Umbrella, and her other goals.

Of course. I kind of figured you meant LiN. Then again... they reused his character model from the game. Different outfit and stuff. They wouldn't have spent resources to rebuild his model from scratch for a piece of DLC. It's not worth it in game development terms. Either way, that doesn't change anything. He still had it then xD I think a better pointer to that would be the first Revelations game. With that we can say without a doubt he got ripped xD

meg5493

Ah you beat me to it Meg5493! (ah who am I kidding, I'm days late to post anyway) Btw, TheGameBrit is awesome :eager:
Ah I guess great minds think alike lol. When seeing the discussion for Other M I immediately thought of him, he sums up alot of the stuff I think of when talking about Other M

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Ah I guess great minds think alike lol. When seeing the discussion for Other M I immediately thought of him, he sums up alot of the stuff I think of when talking about Other M
Agreed. He goes into detail while simultaneously displaying irrefutable evidence for his claims. It's a perfect blend of showing and telling. I was quite amazed to see how much Other M has divided fans. I was so certain it was universally reviled with evidence from sales. I guess I should have seen this coming considering the same thing happened with RE6 and DmC.

meg5493

Agreed. He goes into detail while simultaneously displaying irrefutable evidence for his claims. It's a perfect blend of showing and telling. I was quite amazed to see how much Other M has divided fans. I was so certain it was universally reviled with evidence from sales. I guess I should have seen this coming considering the same thing happened with RE6 and DmC.
Its weird because there are fans that hate the prime series and love Other M for how "retro" it is even though Other M incorporates stuff from the Prime series. I'm just mad that the Prime series was taken out of the timeline.

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Its weird because there are fans that hate the prime series and love Other M for how "retro" it is even though Other M incorporates stuff from the Prime series. I'm just mad that the Prime series was taken out of the timeline.
I know right? It's so jarring how much people claim that Other M embodies what they liked about games of old. I'm just sitting here like "Really???" It just drives me up a tree how Sakamoto can have such little respect for the Prime series, despite it keeping his franchises head over the water for the last decade! If anything, Other M is the only thing that should be non-canon because it's a step backwards in all departments and just out right fails narrative wise.

meg5493

I know right? It's so jarring how much people claim that Other M embodies what they liked about games of old. I'm just sitting here like "Really???" It just drives me up a tree how Sakamoto can have such little respect for the Prime series, despite it keeping his franchises head over the water for the last decade! If anything, Other M is the only thing that should be non-canon because it's a step backwards in all departments and just out right fails narrative wise.
Exactly!!! I hope the rumors of Retro studies making another metroid game for the nx is true, because if not Other M might have killed our chances of having a new metroid game anytime soon. The Prime games were so new and fresh I would love to see something new besides federation force (but to be fair I try not to judge the game too harshly >.<)

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Exactly!!! I hope the rumors of Retro studies making another metroid game for the nx is true, because if not Other M might have killed our chances of having a new metroid game anytime soon. The Prime games were so new and fresh I would love to see something new besides federation force (but to be fair I try not to judge the game too harshly >.<)
Don't feel too bad about federation force. I'm in the same boat. Though I'm not vemous like this people who post nasty comments on youtube or dislike videos pertaining to federation force, I'm can't say I'm at all interested and can understand the anger. I'm like you though. I'm praying on my hands and knees that this rumor has some truth to it. Prime 3 really left a lot of things open for new entries.

meg5493

Don't feel too bad about federation force. I'm in the same boat. Though I'm not vemous like this people who post nasty comments on youtube or dislike videos pertaining to federation force, I'm can't say I'm at all interested and can understand the anger. I'm like you though. I'm praying on my hands and knees that this rumor has some truth to it. Prime 3 really left a lot of things open for new entries.
Its been so long since the last metroid game too!! Federation Force just doesn't cut it, though it might turn out well so Nintendo sees how much people are still interested in Metroid

BeatTheGG

The true last hope.
Its been so long since the last metroid game too!! Federation Force just doesn't cut it, though it might turn out well so Nintendo sees how much people are still interested in Metroid
Yeah that's another thing that bugs me. Other M came out like what? 6 or so years ago? We Metroid fans have be starving for another big title. Some like me were scared that the failure of Other M might have killed the series altogether. It's unfufilling that Federation Force is our first reentry after such an extended hiatus. I'll admit, I too want FF to succeed on some level. At least enough so Nintendo knows we still love the Metroid franchise.

Top Bottom