• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Is it worth it?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
So I finally got on the PS4 bandwagon and am able to play this title. I've seen extremely mixed reviews about it so, before I haul off and pay $20-25 for this, I wanted to come here and ask do you guys think it's even worth it?

What are your views on the game? (And don't be afraid to spoil as I already pretty much know the gist of what happens in it.)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
So I finally got on the PS4 bandwagon and am able to play this title. I've seen extremely mixed reviews about it so, before I haul off and pay $20-25 for this, I wanted to come here and ask do you guys think it's even worth it?

What are your views on the game? (And don't be afraid to spoil as I already pretty much know the gist of what happens in it.)
The first half is fun, surprising, and scary. Then the plot gets convoluted and the gameplay starts to feel repetitive. The protagonists Ethan and Mia come off as a bit bland and boring (especially Mia), and it makes you wonder.

When you say mixed reviews, you're talking about what fans are saying right? Because it got rave reviews from critics (not that that seems to matter these days).

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
The first half is fun, surprising, and scary. Then the plot gets convoluted and the gameplay starts to feel repetitive. The protagonists Ethan and Mia come off as a bit bland and boring (especially Mia), and it makes you wonder.

When you say mixed reviews, you're talking about what fans are saying right? Because it got rave reviews from critics (not that that seems to matter these days).
Yeah I'm talking fan reviews. Some seemed to like it and some didn't and I was just like "should I even get it?" To be honest I'll probably get it eventually just because it's an RE title but given what you said, I'll probably wait a bit longer until it's cheaper.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I enjoyed RE7 both times I went through it, and Hard mode at least got a little less insane once I decided "Hey, maybe antique coins are worth looking for". My biggest complaint is with the controls, where the run button is mapped to one of the thumbsticks. Also, when I got RE7, by that time Not A Hero was a free download, which at least makes more sense of
what Chris is doing as part of Umbrella.
Should have been included with the game on the disc because it has plot critical detail, but hey.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium

I'm in two minds about what to advise, really. As a game, I can't say that I didn't enjoy it. It is pretty fun and it does have a good atmosphere. However, to me, it's a terrible RE game, especially since we've lost the connection with the characters and because it's a different gameplay style. (I've gone on about that so much in the forums though, so I'm gonna stop boring people. :p )

I guess I'd say it's worth playing, in the end. If you already know a lot about the story and you're still tempted to get it, then you probably should, if that makes sense.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Get the gold edition/complete edition, whatever the hell it's called. Though, I'd wait for it to be cheaper. After completing it, I really don't have the urge to go back to it. It's not a bad game but it's not anything amazing either. The plot and characters and its overall franchise relevance is pretty weak, so it's definitely not essential at the moment.

Not a Hero and End of Zoe were pretty lackluster, and they both act as post game material and one is paid DLC which is why I reccomend the complete one, that is if you care for the full experience. But to be quite honest, I was done with each after one playthrough and I had gotten all the achievements in the main game. Didn't even feel bothered to do the other DLCs either.

It really does just feel like a stand alone story slapped together to tie gameplay ideas together. As if it was a tech demo made simply to test whether people were interested in the classic RE design and tropes, while capitalizing on VR to sell it to a wider audience. I mean, seriously, RE2 looks like a much more fleshed out and proper RE game compared to RE7.

Mr.R

Like Jen said, it's not a bad game. Not at all. The first half of the game has a nice atmosphere, the two main "houses" are pretty interesting to explore and has that "RE1" feeling. The second half of the game is pretty much about fighting enemies (but at least has a nice, very Resident Evil boss fight). The Madhouse mode is kinda interesting, as it changes itens (like the Advanced mode in RE1 Director's Cut). But as a Resident Evil game...it has that "spinoff" vibe, you know? Combat is kinda clumsy too, because your character is TOO SLOW (so always keep distance) but at least you have your defense move. There are a lot of extra content in the Gold Edition but honestly, only Not a Hero was okay. Standard fare, with Chris doing Chris things. End of a Zoe is...kinda ridiculous, but mildly enjoyable, but the rest you're pretty much just play it once (The Room is nice, but after you played once, there's no reason for going back). At the end of the day, it's not a bad game, so you might want to take the chance, if you find it for a fair price.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
On the subject of it feeling like a standalone story (which it very much does), I'm willing to see if RE7 isn't just an overhaul on the RE gameplay with a tangential story that reveals its relevance in later games like RE4 turned out to be.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Thanks so much for your opinions everyone! I think I'll wait until it's a little cheaper or there's a bigger sale on. Doesn't sound like I want to spend too much money on this title.

Thank you all for your help.

black 93

I'd get it cheap if at all. RE7 is an extremely underwhelming and bare bones RE game. Both in it's content and it's gameplay. I mean compare it to what we've just got in RE2. RE2, a remake of a twenty year old game with a story that every fan knows is surprising people more than RE7 did. Gameplay wise everythings layed out for you. If you find a battery, you use it in the same room, not at the other end of a mansion like in past games. Best example i can probably give is, you remember in the RE1 remake when you need to find four death mask's to escape the mansion? Well in RE7 you have that same basic concept with 3 dogheads. However, in RE1, you had to work for those masks. I remember one in particular, you had to unlock the attic, rescue richard, return to the area with a lighter, light a candle to find half of the moonlight sonata and THEN you had to find the other half. Then you had to swap emblems and do a mini clock hand puzzle to get the sheild key and THEN you had to fight Yawn to get the mask. In RE7, a doghead is literally in a ridiculously obvious book, in plain view, that the game dosen't even give you the chance to miss as there's a small arrow above it when you get near. People praised RE7 as a return to survival horror, when in reality it's a very dumbed down, casual attempt. Iv been playing RE2 all day and iv been lost time and time again. Compared to RE7 this feels epic.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Thank you! This is the kind of honesty I was looking for! I really appreciate your review of the game and now I'll definitely be waiting until it's much cheaper!
And I know what you mean about the remake! Don't even me started on how long it took me to get to the King and Queen pieces because I kept getting lost in the damn sewer.

SSfox

The only RE game i haven't played, mostly because it's FPS (i don't like FPS, and RE FPS is weird imo). Planning to play it later one day maybe lol

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I'd get it cheap if at all. RE7 is an extremely underwhelming and bare bones RE game. Both in it's content and it's gameplay. I mean compare it to what we've just got in RE2. RE2, a remake of a twenty year old game with a story that every fan knows is surprising people more than RE7 did. Gameplay wise everythings layed out for you. If you find a battery, you use it in the same room, not at the other end of a mansion like in past games. Best example i can probably give is, you remember in the RE1 remake when you need to find four death mask's to escape the mansion? Well in RE7 you have that same basic concept with 3 dogheads. However, in RE1, you had to work for those masks. I remember one in particular, you had to unlock the attic, rescue richard, return to the area with a lighter, light a candle to find half of the moonlight sonata and THEN you had to find the other half. Then you had to swap emblems and do a mini clock hand puzzle to get the sheild key and THEN you had to fight Yawn to get the mask. In RE7, a doghead is literally in a ridiculously obvious book, in plain view, that the game dosen't even give you the chance to miss as there's a small arrow above it when you get near. People praised RE7 as a return to survival horror, when in reality it's a very dumbed down, casual attempt. Iv been playing RE2 all day and iv been lost time and time again. Compared to RE7 this feels epic.
Seriously, I didn't know this, and to be honest it made me lose a bit interest in playing RE7. I hate being treated like a baby in video games, where the developers show me how to solve things right in front of my eyes. I've watched the complete game movie for RE7 and I found it fascinating, and recently I've been wanting to try it out. But after reading your post I feel.... conflicted. Puzzles are a big part of RE for me.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The criticisms of the game here are completely valid, but you are still awaiting to have what I will call an ESSENTIAL RE Experience. You will already know some of the disappointments going in, so that is a plus in your favor. The first act is amazing and literally at the top of the Resident Evil experiences. The scares are real. The game gets worse and worse as time goes on, but even the worst parts are still better than most other current horror series of the current time period. The lack of enemy types is my biggest pet peeve in the game. But the bosses, ESPECIALLY the first few, are really genuinely scary.

If you don't want to pay full price for it, try to find an ebay copy or buy it used from Gamestop. There is a reason people have called it "The first real Resident Evil" in years. And while some may find it doesn't entirely live up to that moniker, it is still beyond worth it in my opinion.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Seriously, I didn't know this, and to be honest it made me lose a bit interest in playing RE7. I hate being treated like a baby in video games, where the developers show me how to solve things right in front of my eyes. I've watched the complete game movie for RE7 and I found it fascinating, and recently I've been wanting to try it out. But after reading your post I feel.... conflicted. Puzzles are a big part of RE for me.

In my opinion, of course Resident Evil 2 is better than 7. It has an amazing story with familiar characters and memorable locations. The remake brought with it amazing graphics and new freedom of camera use. I don't think many other games in the series hold a candle to it.

That being said, I didn't think Resident Evil 7 was bad. There was a severe lack of enemy types, but it was fun. There were a LOT of Evil Dead references (of which I am a huge fan, not to mention I love Bruce Campbell) which were great. It was first person which I liked but I can understand how this wouldn't appeal to all players.

While the puzzles may have been easy, it didn't really bother me while I was playing it.

The buzz saw you can unlock is cool and invaluable during a madhouse run.

Depending on your devotion to completionism (which I know also isn't for everyone), madhouse is a relatively formidable challenge though not impossible.

I didn't play the DLCs because I wasn't really interested in them. As far as story goes, I am fine with the fact that 7 in kind of off in its own little world but it left little to be desired storywise.

I wouldn't say don't play Resident Evil 7, because I thought it was fun. It didn't take itself as seriously as some previous entries. It did veer off of the norm, perhaps because of this, so if you could find it used it probably would be worth it.

Personally I think there have been worse games in the linear series so I wouldn't automatically exclude this one lol.

R-Virus

I totally agree with you Rain611.

Indeed the bad points are the lack of diversity in the ennemies and the laughable puzzles, but the good points are the very nice graphics and the ambiance. I'd say this is the most " raw " RE, because it looks like you're dealing with a realistic house of horror or serial killers like Ed Gein.

But the bosses are really hard to beat. I can't remember how many times I fought Jack with the chainsaw or his final transformation. Much harder than in RE 2 remake for example.

RepresentativeDamage

I think it is absolutely worth it. I just got it and beat it recently, and it was pretty phenomenal. I have a hard time deciding which I like more, RE7 or RE2 remake. They're both my favorites in the series. Seriously a really good game, I was a little apprehensive at first too.

Top Bottom