• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Umbrella Corps Is all the hate really needed?

black 93

This game is seriously starting to grow on me, im actually looking forward to it. So im a bit saddened at all the hate it's getting when no one on the planet has even tried it yet. It's a spin off, it can be whatever it wants. Resident Evil has always had spin offs, it's a very varied series. The Outbreak series, the Survivor series, the Chronicles series, Dead aim, hell some people even class the Revelations series as spin offs. There's almost as many if not more spin offs than canonical games, and while none of them have reached the heights of the canonical games, that's ok because their spin offs, their own thing. If this dosent interest you thats fine, but if your gunna hate on the game, at least try it first. I most certainly will because while it's not what anyone was expecting, it looks fun. And to me thats the main thing. This isn't the only direction Capcom is taking, their remaking RE2 which is like the holy grail to most fans, RE7 is coming and personally i think that Revelations 3 is inevitable. My point is RE has always had spin offs and its nothing new, so i dont know why everyone is whining and losing their minds about umbrella corps.

Last edited:

meg5493

I think its because of the bad taste Operation Raccoon City left in everyone's mouth and how Umbrella Corps looks to be the same kind of game. For the most part RE spin offs are pretty good to average while at this moment the games just running on nostalgia from the older games and doesn't seem to have a lot interesting stuff going on so a lot of fans just want an actually decent RE game or just want a new main series RE game to come out now.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
I think its a cool idea. and i would give it a chance and check it out.

Its pointless to hate it now since it hasn't came out. But from my experience with people most of them are hard to satisfy because they don't have a clue of what they want. They want everything and at the same time want nothing.

I mean there is this person who commented on a video of a lets play Resident Evil Revelations 2 here are some of what it said

"So many female characters. For that, I will not play this game."
"I just think it's bull **** the way women are portrayed doing all manly jobs"

and there are other people out there who hate Revelations 2 claiming that its a rip off of The Last Of Us.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
No, the hate is not needed. Hate in general isn't needed. I have a very simple philosophy concerning games I'm not interested in: Don't like, don't play. And don't reprimand others for liking or disliking something. It's as simple as that.

Personally, I liked Operation Raccoon City a lot despite its flaws, but Umbrella Corps is first and foremost a multiplayer game, and I'm not a multiplayer type. Apparently there is also a single-player mission, but since this was only revealed with the latest trailer, not when the game was originally announced, it can't be all too important, and it doesn't get me excited either. So I am most likely not going to play this, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with people who will, or with Capcom making the game in the first place. After all they're not forcing it on anyone, and by no means can this game be considered an early example of what RE will look like in the future (which some of the "haters" probably fear). That's why it's called a spin off.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
I think that the animation looks a little... meh at this stage, but the fact that Capcom aren't pitching it as a full-on Resident Evil game (Umbrella Corps is the full title and doesn't even include the Resident Evil prefix), but as an action game set in the Resident Evil universe, I can dig it. I kinda like the idea of revisiting some famous Resi locales of yesteryear and tearing up shizzle all Gears of War stylee. It won't be a day-one purchase from me, but I'll probably add it to my Steam Wishlist and grab it when it goes on sale.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I think its because of the bad taste Operation Raccoon City left in everyone's mouth and how Umbrella Corps looks to be the same kind of game. For the most part RE spin offs are pretty good to average while at this moment the games just running on nostalgia from the older games and doesn't seem to have a lot interesting stuff going on so a lot of fans just want an actually decent RE game or just want a new main series RE game to come out now.
You know I'm still confused as to why ORC gets hate. It was exactly as advertised and nothing less. (Plus it was hella fun online.)

meg5493

You know I'm still confused as to why ORC gets hate. It was exactly as advertised and nothing less. (Plus it was hella fun online.)
If I remember correctly it was the first current gen RE spin off for ps3/xbox 360 at the time and I remember people getting excited with it being set during RE2/3 and I guess peoples expectations were higher than what the game actually was. I just hated how nemesis looked in that game, but to be fair he only looked good in 3 which is crazy considering it was a ps1 game.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium
I literally know hardly anything about this game, so I can't really say much. However, I've always been of the opinion that if you like something then that's okay. I mean, you're not doing anyone any harm. On the contrary, I'd say that you're doing more harm by disliking something and going around badmouthing that particular something. What good does that do? None.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I do absolutely believe in self-fulfilling prophecy and the law of attraction - in this case, if you go into this game thinking it's going to suck major monkey balls, then yes, it will probably suck major monkey balls because you've already decided it will. You already have that bias so you will be looking for anything and everything that's going to reaffirm your bias for you. Negativity breeds negativity and positivity breeds positivity - go in with an open mind, and you'll probably enjoy it far more than otherwise. It is what it is and it's not trying to be Resident Evil 7 - so take it easy.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The only gripe I have is that it's digital only. As a collector, I cannot STAND digital only releases. That's why I didn't get the REmake HD remaster a year and a half ago. I pre-ordered and waited for the REmake/Zero release which was physical, and it was DEFINITELY worth the wait...

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't see anything wrong with the existence of the game. It's a spin-off and it's offering something you wouldn't otherwise get in the main installments without affecting the main installments. It's exactly what a spin-off is supposed to be.

However, I can understand someone who's coming off of Operation Raccoon City and Resident Evil 6 only to see another shooter with the Resident Evil brand before the release of Resident Evil 7 and quite honestly, everything is hinging on Resident Evil 7. Our patience and our support will all be determined after its release.

Maybe people aren't mad that this game is being made but more so at the fact that it's being made and coming out before Capcom has had the chance to prove themselves to the fans yet given the current state of the franchise. No one wants to support the very problem that's plaguing the franchise.

Personally, I don't really care for Umbrella Corps. Like Operation Raccoon City before it, the concept doesn't intrigue me. Just in general, I'm not really into games that primarily focus on multi-player.

I'm excited. I think Capcom deserves no hate at this point in time. They are making RE2 remake. We know they are making RE7 and we got the amazing Revelations 2 last year. And are also getting great HD remakes of Resident Evil zero and remake. And now Capcom are giving the fans a shooter for the people who like that. Capcom is great again <3

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm excited. I think Capcom deserves no hate at this point in time. They are making RE2 remake. We know they are making RE7 and we got the amazing Revelations 2 last year. And are also getting great HD remakes of Resident Evil zero and remake. And now Capcom are giving the fans a shooter for the people who like that. Capcom is great again <3

The only thing Capcom deserves right now is skepticism. While there are signs of change with how they're handling Street Fighter and what they did to redeem themselves with Devil May Cry, Resident Evil is still very much in the air. Yes, Revelations 2 was great but not the exact return to form people were expecting. It also doesn't speak for the quality and direction of Resident Evil 7. It's the same thing with the remasters. Those are old games that say nothing about Capcom's ability to give us a true survival horror experience. We may be getting Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 2 REmake but that doesn't guarantee they'll be any good.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I'm very interested in how it fits in the current canon. I have a theory based on the last trailer that makes sense. It's an experiment and considering it takes place in current time frame (around 2016 in game). I am pretty sure it's in a simulation like Raid more in Revelations 2 was. Other wise how else would we be revisiting events and locations from past games, and Albert Wesker is pretty much confirmed for the game. I think Alex is up to her bull**** again.

I am interested in that Tri-cell level. I'll admit the game does look fun, the animations are **** though. Part of it is because of the limitations of Unity. The engine the game is built on, which is the simplest engine out there. It's mainly used for indie games.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The only thing Capcom deserves right now is skepticism. While there are signs of change with how they're handling Street Fighter and what they did to redeem themselves with Devil May Cry, Resident Evil is still very much in the air. Yes, Revelations 2 was great but not the exact return to form people were expecting. It also doesn't speak for the quality and direction of Resident Evil 7. It's the same thing with the remasters. Those are old games that say nothing about Capcom's ability to give us a true survival horror experience. We may be getting Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 2 REmake but that doesn't guarantee they'll be any good.
It does speak though. Not necessarily that they can still do survival horror, but it DOES speak that they are listening to the fans. That's a step in the right direction if nothing else.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It does speak though. Not necessarily that they can still do survival horror, but it DOES speak that they are listening to the fans. That's a step in the right direction if nothing else.

Yeah, but it doesn't speak about the quality and direction of these games. That's what matters here. What good is listening if they're not going to pull through? They can't just give us a remake of Resident Evil 2 that is only similar in story and characters and expect us to be happy with it because hey, they listened. That's not listening. That's not what we're asking for. As it stands, we have 0% clue what they're doing with Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7 and Revelations 2 and a couple of remasters don't say a damn thing about them. Talk is cheap, until we see these games then we can determine whether or not Capcom is listening to their fans.

Evil Yuna

"I will live without...false hope."
The only gripe I have is that it's digital only. As a collector, I cannot STAND digital only releases. That's why I didn't get the REmake HD remaster a year and a half ago. I pre-ordered and waited for the REmake/Zero release which was physical, and it was DEFINITELY worth the wait...
And here i was , thinking i was the only one... XD

Airaku

Stray Jedi
And here i was , thinking i was the only one... XD

And I am the same way. I have a nice video game collection and plan to keep growing it :3
I want to get the Origin's collection and I have no intention on playing it. Unfortunately I have way too many games to play and zero time to play them because of school :(

Evil Yuna

"I will live without...false hope."
And I am the same way. I have a nice video game collection and plan to keep growing it :3
I want to get the Origin's collection and I have no intention on playing it. Unfortunately I have way too many games to play and zero time to play them because of school :(

I got origins and am currently playing zero.I´d never played it or the remake,and i won ´t have much time to play them since i´m returning to work in a couple a days...
I´ll manage anyways. XD

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I got origins and am currently playing zero.I´d never played it or the remake,and i won ´t have much time to play them since i´m returning to work in a couple a days...
I´ll manage anyways. XD

You definitely should play them. They aren't long games at all. Finish Zero and then play RE here and there, maybe just one of the stories. You can play Chris or Jill, the're just the events from their perspective. Different things happen in other areas and they take different paths. I'd say Jill's is the way to go :p Unless you're a Chris fan.

Top Bottom