• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

introducing younger generations to classic RE

FelixK

Zombies must shuffle
I'm 22, my brother is 14. Obviously a bit of an age difference. I play the first 3 resident evils, crash bandicoot, tomb raider etc when I want to play childhood games, he plays halo 2 and dark souls. So for the first time ever, I got him to play a classic resident evil. He picked the 3rd game on hard mode stating that "there's no way this is as hard as newer games." I then proceeded to watch him jump, cringe, moan, and complain his way through the police station before he finally asked for my help. The funniest part to me was either when he panicked about running low on saves and asked me when the ribbons would respawn, or when he nearly jumped out of his skin when he thought he'd lost nemesis and he popped out the other door saying "STARS". long story short, he'll never doubt an old game again. Has anyone else had a similar situation? If not, maybe you are a younger gamer and if so how did you come across resident evil?

Agent Spike

I'm 23 and my brother is 13. For a long time the only RE game he liked was 4 until last December/January. I insisted him to play Remake, Zero, 2, and Code Veronica X (the only ones I own at the moment) but he told me no because he tried them before and they're too hard for him. So I have no idea how I did it but I convinced him to beat them.
He first played CVX, it was the funniest experience because he would get very scared, he would complain when he was low on healing items, and towards the end with the crystal ball "puzzle/trap", he raged so hard because he would always fail there. He beat it though and I was proud of him. He said it was one of the best games he played.
The same thing happened with Remake and 2 (His reaction to the Crimson Heads, Hunters, Lickers, and William Birkin were awesome).
Now he's playing Zero and he's doing okay :)

FelixK

Zombies must shuffle
I'm 23 and my brother is 13. For a long time the only RE game he liked was 4 until last December/January. I insisted him to play Remake, Zero, 2, and Code Veronica X (the only ones I own at the moment) but he told me no because he tried them before and they're too hard for him. So I have no idea how I did it but I convinced him to beat them.
He first played CVX, it was the funniest experience because he would get very scared, he would complain when he was low on healing items, and towards the end with the crystal ball "puzzle/trap", he raged so hard because he would always fail there. He beat it though and I was proud of him. He said it was one of the best games he played.
The same thing happened with Remake and 2 (His reaction to the Crimson Heads, Hunters, Lickers, and William Birkin were awesome).
Now he's playing Zero and he's doing okay :)

That's awesome though. Good on him for sticking with it! I'm currently trying to talk my brother into playing code veronica as well as he's just finished the third game.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
The older Resi games and older games in general really were much more satisfying to beat. The majority of modern games are too easy lol.

Agent Spike

That's awesome though. Good on him for sticking with it! I'm currently trying to talk my brother into playing code veronica as well as he's just finished the third game.

I knew he could do it, but I did help him once in a while because that game can be very difficult the first time around.

That's great! What's his favorite RE game so far?

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
My friend says they're boring and doesn't interest him anymore.

Thw real truth which is plainly obvious to see is that he's rubbish and won't play it without cheats. Which in turn makes it uninteresting to me.

Hes one of those guys who is always right though and is in complete denial over it :p

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm probably once again the only person in the world with this opinion, but I think the classics were much easier than the newer games. The classics are just more complicated and difficult to get into, especially nowadays, when you're not used to the kind of gameplay they offer, but once you understand how they work, it's a piece of cake. Unless you're playing on a very high difficulty level, it's a mystery to me how anyone can ever run out of ammo, health supplies or ink ribbons. Ammo especially, because you only have to aim in more or less the direction of the enemy and you can't even miss. That's my problem with the newer games, I totally suck at aiming by myself and often run out of ammo as a result.

I can understand why younger generations might have trouble with those old games, though. As I said, they can be difficult to get into, require more patience at first and more endurance in the long run. I myself did start with the classics, so maybe that's why they come so naturally to me, whereas I never played a third person shooter until RE5. I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to.

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
Dude my first RE game was RE4 and I beat it within a day or two. And then I payed RE2 and... I agree with Hel; they're harder to get used to, especially nowadays, but I feel like back in the day they were more programmed to be a scary puzzle with jumpscares now and then, while the first person shooters nowadays became more of a challenge to test out how well you are with a joystick and how quick you can react under pressure.

Nevertheless, I love them both, the older games perhaps a bit more due to the nostalgia attached to them. But they're all entire different experiences on their own.

FelixK

Zombies must shuffle
I knew he could do it, but I did help him once in a while because that game can be very difficult the first time around.

That's great! What's his favorite RE game so far?

Yeah CVX was definitely a little tricky. But I think so far his favorite is 4. It's the first resident evil he played and he prefers the controlled aim and over the shoulder camera angles.

zombiechow

What I like is finding the REAL squares-- the ones who don't game at all-- and getting them to play. I'd love to watch someone play the first one again for the first time-- the reveals in it were tremendous (ESPECIALLY the first time we saw a licker, that was just plain chilling.)

Final Fantasy 7 is another from the same era that is delicious to get virgin players into.

lorddemolatron

CP and BP fan forever
I been well six when i played PSX RE 1 and got from that grounding but now as 24 and baing aunt ( yep im one as mine older brother have now kid and she is female like me too) im thinking on showing someday mine niece maybe as she gets slightly older than 7 first three RE games ( well maybe beacuse she when confessed to me told that zombies not scare her so why not)

Grind and Click

Dead Russkoning
Kind of reiterating here from my other posts, but games like films are ageing, yet games have dug so deep into bubblegum repetition these days that the older ones which thought they had to fight harder to stay alive, using story and atmosphere are engaging, and yet still just as accessible as a game today (push the on button), but also in that an old (or any) book takes a good few pages before you care what's going on, whilst a game will display everything for you up front, old or new.

RE 1 still has a atmospherically claustrophobic, and beautifully drawn game world (literally drawn, right?) and thanks to the game medium, unlike Aesop's Fables, this will be picked back up in the future far more easily by other generations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom