• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 im dissappointed with the reception to RE6!

thc2099

I've only played the demo of RE6, sadly it didn't inspire me to buy the full game. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't get it right as far as I'm concerned.I don't really want to repeat stuff that's already been said many times over, but I think the game is going through a serious identity crisis. The OP says that they are disappointed with the reception to the game, but by bearing the Resident Evil title, the game is obviously going to attract some veteran fans who have enjoyed the games since Resident Evil 1 on the PSX. I think this generation are justified in their gripes with the game.That atmosphere was unbeatable; the music, the suspense, the loneliness, the mystery - those first few games got a lot of things right. Now I know I'm seeing a lot of arguments pointing towards a game's evolution depending on current audiences, but let me say that there are plenty of action games (good ones at that, and featuring zombies) for those inclined to play. And the point about "modern tech" isn't really appropriate here, you can have a game such as Dead Space which features futuristic technology yet still gets the all important atmosphere of a horror game right. I think Resident Evil WOULD have stood out against the supposed abundance of zombie horror games around right now, firstly because it carries the name of one of the greatest games in the genre, and secondly because I actually think Resident Evil 6 got a few things right (which I'll cover later) and could have been what myself and a lot of other fans would have wanted. To those who say our expectations are high - so they should be, why would I pay money for something I'm not satisfied with?

Now on to some areas of RE6 I wasn't happy with or thought could use improvement:

Your co op partner needs to go. Sorry, I'm just not a co op person in games, least of all in a Resident Evil game. They don't seem to have a place... in RE5 they were a bullet absorbing mule who would help you open doors or push buttons occasionally. Now, they offer "help" in shooting the zombies (unloading one bullet every thirty seconds, or so it seems) and in some parts they'll hog the action while your character stands there waiting for them to return. No, get lost, they ruin the experience and spoil the atmosphere.

The controls and your character's movement could have been better. I don't know why they introduced moves like lying on your back to shoot the enemies, yet there isn't really a decent evade/dodge move like a sidestep or something. In real life, would I lie on my back to shoot zombies? No, of course I wouldn't. Also, why can't your character spin 180 degrees or at least pivot while running to go in a different direction? How come they instead only slightly lean into a turn, that doesn't reflect the mobility of a human being, that's what I'd expect of a car.

How come I can't shoot the zombies that I KNOW are about to spring to life? Why won't my hits even register? It just gets old, by the time I've seen the second and third zombies lying on the floor I know they're going to jump up and bite me, so why not let me stomp them or shoot them? Why do I have to wait for them to attack first?

Was it supposed to be funny to have the characters perform wrestling finishing moves on the enemies? The melee combat definitely isn't a strong point in this game, although the kill animations are pretty cool, if a little repetitive, having only a couple of variations.

Puzzles need to come back too, and so do the chilling diaries/reports. How cool was it to read a report on a BOW and to think "****, I'm going to have to fight it in a minute aren't I...". I know a lot of people are saying Ada's campaign has the puzzles, unfortunately I didn't get to play it but I hope they're up to standard and reminiscent of the previous efforts.

Now, onto some things that I think the game did well. The atmosphere (in Leon's campaign at least) is half there. Dimly lit rooms, echoing footsteps.. the settings were also appropriate, I'm definitely more a fan of tight indoor spaces in a RE game than the open air environment of something like RE5. Definitely wasted opportunities to make me jump while I was running through corridors and it was otherwise silent, but I can forgive that. A minor point, but I found the characters likable and believable. The supplies I suppose are proportionate to the enemies the game throws at you, but I'd prefer less of both. However the demo had me run out of ammo mid firefight so kudos for that.

To summarise, I suppose I wouldn't call it a bad game. I just don't think it deserves the Resident Evil title. As I've mentioned in other posts, for those of you who like action, and insist that it be present in Resident Evil, Capcom could always include that stuff in mercenaries modes where you could just go around shooting anything and everything with all the guns you could want. But for the true fans of the franchise, give us a knife, a beretta and a green herb and let us get back to one of the greatest survival horror games in history, best played with the lights off.

TheVacantThrone

He's a mental giant, TECH N9NE!
I've only played the demo of RE6, sadly it didn't inspire me to buy the full game. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't get it right as far as I'm concerned.I don't really want to repeat stuff that's already been said many times over, but I think the game is going through a serious identity crisis. The OP says that they are disappointed with the reception to the game, but by bearing the Resident Evil title, the game is obviously going to attract some veteran fans who have enjoyed the games since Resident Evil 1 on the PSX. I think this generation are justified in their gripes with the game.That atmosphere was unbeatable; the music, the suspense, the loneliness, the mystery - those first few games got a lot of things right. Now I know I'm seeing a lot of arguments pointing towards a game's evolution depending on current audiences, but let me say that there are plenty of action games (good ones at that, and featuring zombies) for those inclined to play. And the point about "modern tech" isn't really appropriate here, you can have a game such as Dead Space which features futuristic technology yet still gets the all important atmosphere of a horror game right. I think Resident Evil WOULD have stood out against the supposed abundance of zombie horror games around right now, firstly because it carries the name of one of the greatest games in the genre, and secondly because I actually think Resident Evil 6 got a few things right (which I'll cover later) and could have been what myself and a lot of other fans would have wanted. To those who say our expectations are high - so they should be, why would I pay money for something I'm not satisfied with?

Now on to some areas of RE6 I wasn't happy with or thought could use improvement:

Your co op partner needs to go. Sorry, I'm just not a co op person in games, least of all in a Resident Evil game. They don't seem to have a place... in RE5 they were a bullet absorbing mule who would help you open doors or push buttons occasionally. Now, they offer "help" in shooting the zombies (unloading one bullet every thirty seconds, or so it seems) and in some parts they'll hog the action while your character stands there waiting for them to return. No, get lost, they ruin the experience and spoil the atmosphere.

The controls and your character's movement could have been better. I don't know why they introduced moves like lying on your back to shoot the enemies, yet there isn't really a decent evade/dodge move like a sidestep or something. In real life, would I lie on my back to shoot zombies? No, of course I wouldn't. Also, why can't your character spin 180 degrees or at least pivot while running to go in a different direction? How come they instead only slightly lean into a turn, that doesn't reflect the mobility of a human being, that's what I'd expect of a car.

How come I can't shoot the zombies that I KNOW are about to spring to life? Why won't my hits even register? It just gets old, by the time I've seen the second and third zombies lying on the floor I know they're going to jump up and bite me, so why not let me stomp them or shoot them? Why do I have to wait for them to attack first?

Was it supposed to be funny to have the characters perform wrestling finishing moves on the enemies? The melee combat definitely isn't a strong point in this game, although the kill animations are pretty cool, if a little repetitive, having only a couple of variations.

Puzzles need to come back too, and so do the chilling diaries/reports. How cool was it to read a report on a BOW and to think "****, I'm going to have to fight it in a minute aren't I...". I know a lot of people are saying Ada's campaign has the puzzles, unfortunately I didn't get to play it but I hope they're up to standard and reminiscent of the previous efforts.

Now, onto some things that I think the game did well. The atmosphere (in Leon's campaign at least) is half there. Dimly lit rooms, echoing footsteps.. the settings were also appropriate, I'm definitely more a fan of tight indoor spaces in a RE game than the open air environment of something like RE5. Definitely wasted opportunities to make me jump while I was running through corridors and it was otherwise silent, but I can forgive that. A minor point, but I found the characters likable and believable. The supplies I suppose are proportionate to the enemies the game throws at you, but I'd prefer less of both. However the demo had me run out of ammo mid firefight so kudos for that.

To summarise, I suppose I wouldn't call it a bad game. I just don't think it deserves the Resident Evil title. As I've mentioned in other posts, for those of you who like action, and insist that it be present in Resident Evil, Capcom could always include that stuff in mercenaries modes where you could just go around shooting anything and everything with all the guns you could want. But for the true fans of the franchise, give us a knife, a beretta and a green herb and let us get back to one of the greatest survival horror games in history, best played with the lights off.

This sounds nasty but it's not: I can't take your opinion on the game even 1% serious if you haven't even played it. You tried the demo which is maybe 2% of the full game. That's not enough to base a solid opinion for argument.

Edit: Also, just because someone doesn't want action, doesn't make them not a 'true fan'. I've played every RE on console, including the gun survivors, outbreaks etc, and completed them all countless times, and i LOVE how the series is going, it's time to evolve. It won't be scary anymore because everyone is older now, and it's all been done before. It's nice to see them adapting, still keeping it horror too. These guys have been fighting B.O.W's for over a decade now, they've learnt a few tricks how to defend themselves over the years. Also, it's not about a little incident in a mansion anymore, or a little town being over-run, it's world-wide war against bio-terrorism.

Don't think i'm being a d*ck with this, i'm always up for a decent discussion :)

thc2099

Don't worry, I didn't think you were nasty and besides I'm not easily offended.
Well the most important thing is that the demo is supposed to sell the game to me. It's supposed to be a "taster" if you will. If I try a certain kind of food and don't like it, I know not to make a meal of it, and I think the same can be applied here.
Secondly, the arguments I made were not about the game's story (which, if they were, you'd be right in saying that I had only experienced a tiny portion of the game), they were more about the game mechanics. In fact, the only thing I mentioned that had to do with the demo specifically were the parts where I praised the atmosphere, the characters and the ammo rationing. All my other points I'd assume would be valid at any point in the game (character movement, dormant zombies, co op characters and melee combat) unless Capcom completely revamped these aspects between the demo and final release.

ADAxWONG

On A Mission...
Some critics don't like game franchises because them not being good at the game. Seen it many times.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
That was very disrespectful of you IIIURBANIII. Just because someone likes a game that you don't, doesn't give you the right to insult them. It's called Opinion, everyone is going to have a different opinion and you're going to have to learn how to respect other people's opinion. If someone has a different opinion than you, you don't insult them as that is very disrespectful and mean. It's like calling me an idiot because I cured a life threatening disease that is spreading aross the globe.

I agree with TheVacantThrone about this, just because someone enjoys it and you don't doesn't mean you insult them.

I agree.

Now I would also like to see something like this from the fans who LIKE the game.

And by that, I mean that I would like to see some of the fans not call everyone who dislikes this game a hater or complainer.

And lets not forget that some of them call their opinions mere "bitching".

I see those as insults as well that need to stop and be addressed.

thc2099

I agree.

Now I would also like to see something like this from the fans who LIKE the game.

And by that, I mean that I would like to see some of the fans not call everyone who dislikes this game a hater or complainer.

And lets not forget that some of them call their opinions mere "bitching".

I see those as insults as well that need to stop and be addressed.
+1

There's no need for insults here, or anywhere else for that matter. Although I haven't had a great deal of positive things to say about the latest game in the franchise, I know that there are those, for their own reasons, who enjoyed it, and I respect that.

thc2099

Edit: Also, just because someone doesn't want action, doesn't make them not a 'true fan
Sorry, that was silly of me, I know that there can be a great fan of RE6 just as there can be a great fan of RE1. What I should have said was the fans of the original games.
I'm not sure how to respond on the age thing, because it's impossible for me to really say whether RE1 was a scarier game or whether I was just young and more easily scared. I definitely think that, to a degree, the current games are doing a good job (note I am using the word 'good' here and not 'great' or 'terrific') of scaring the player. Like I've said before there could have been more fright moments (having something jump out at me when I'm walking through a silent corridor) and more horror moments (sorry to keep going on about the earlier games, but like in RE1 when you encounter your first zombie, it takes a chunk out of Kenneth's neck, and then turns around to you!).
It's a fair point about the characters training to better defend themselves against the zombies. I suppose it's more personal preference; I've never really liked overly choreographed fight scenes in movies either. I'm more a fan of realism. There's another thread I started (Resident Evil General > Suggested changed to the RE series) where I've expanded more upon the topics I'm talking about here... but the wrestling moves look out of place against the zombies, and karate kicking the doors open looks cheesy too. Just not a big fan of all that I guess.
Yeah I often wonder where the series can go from here, and although I'm a huge fan of the mansion setting, at the same time I know there can't be 6 games where it's like "oh damn, another viral outbreak at a mansion, how did we let this happen again *rolls eyes* silly us...". So maybe like a lot of people are saying, this is just the game changing to adapt to the story progression. Still, it just makes me miss the older games more with each installment that doesn't have what I want.

No I wouldn't think that you were being a d--- at all, I enjoy talking about it and to be honest you've actually mentioned a couple of things that have made me see the series in a new light. The very reason I posted here was to hear what other people thought, whether they agreed or disagreed and I'm glad to hear both sides :)

Top Bottom