• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 IGN: 13 things we should know about RE7

IntoxNitram

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/e3-2016-13-things-you-should-know-about-resident-evil-7

Key/new bits:
And when I asked would we see any familiar faces – Chris, Jill, Leon – or the nefarious Umbrella Corp?

"Basically no. It’s a whole new set of characters and situations," said Kawata, who has worked on the franchise since 2005's Resident Evil 4. But he did say, "There could be some interesting surprises in store as well." So expect there to be some easter eggs in there at least.

"It was originally already going to be first-person before the ascendancy of VR in the last few years," Kawata reveals. "We were making the game in first-person perspective and obviously VR has risen as a force in the industry and we thought this is great timing. Let’s see if it’s a good fit for VR and, of course, I think it is because first-person horror is such a great immersive experience, and VR only makes it better. It wasn’t in there at the start, but it came along at just the right time for us to take advantage of it."

"People out there who like the more action-based, shooter-style of RE – that’s been put aside from the main series and is coming out in a separate game like Umbrella Corp. The order in which we announced the games might have caused some concern for fans, but you know hopefully it makes more sense now in context when you see Umbrella Corp doesn’t exist on its own. And of course, Resident Evil 7 is taking the main series back to full on horror. We’ve taken the approach this is the horror title – this is the actual one. It’s a series that can have many different styles to it, but each game has to have gameplay that makes sense in its own context."

Also: herbs will be back, game will feature less enemies but each will pose a significant threat.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
And when I asked would we see any familiar faces – Chris, Jill, Leon – or the nefarious Umbrella Corp?

"Basically no. It’s a whole new set of characters and situations," said Kawata, who has worked on the franchise since 2005's Resident Evil 4. But he did say, "There could be some interesting surprises in store as well." So expect there to be some easter eggs in there at least.

IntoxNitram

I'm not happy about there being all new characters. To me, the main characters make RE what it is.
I feel the same. At the very least I wanted them to make an appearance, even if we do play as someone new. I'll give them the benefit of doubt because everything else looks good. But I think I'd prefer a reboot back to before the cast got 'superpowers' and we could still play as them.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I feel the same. At the very least I wanted them to make an appearance, even if we do play as someone new. I'll give them the benefit of doubt because everything else looks good. But I think I'd prefer a reboot back to before the cast got 'superpowers' and we could still play as them.
I'm not a huge fan of the first person camera, but I could have forgiven it if we still had some appearance from the characters we know and love, but if it's all new... I dunno. To me, each game should have proper continuity with the characters and their stories. I know they're saying it's continuing the world, and I'll wait and see what new information we get as time goes on, but at the minute I'm a little... Meh.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
I'm not a huge fan of the first person camera

Not fan of first-person camera either, tho i played Outlast and P.T and I enjoyed, but idk It's just weird to see RE title using FP, It's just not right. It doesn't give me any of RE feels at all.

Donchezeri

Fine with everything up until the whole no returning characters. I mean come on... they were hitting an absolute home run until that point.

black 93

Ok, im open to the first person mode, im open to a new protagonist, but im very very pi**ed that there's no returning characters. Fair enough i don't expect Chris or Leon, since they've been used tons, i don't even expect Claire or Barry since they just had a game. But no Jill? Seriously after all this time and crys from fans to show us what has happened to Jill since RE5, Capcom choose to drop her yet AGAIN?! For crying out loud man. Im also guessing Jake was just another character that we'll see once, and that there's no Natalia/Alex ? Not gunna lie, i ain't happy.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
^I'll second this. I was open to the FPP, I thought playing a new RE in VR would be an enticing new experience that could really work if done right. Hell, I was even willing to accept the main character would be somebody new as long as some of the familiar cast were involved in some capacity (cutscenes), but none of the original cast are returning in any way? Moreover, they're STILL gonna leave us in the dark as to what happened with Jill since RE5 after fans have pretty much been shouting from the rooftops that they're DYING to know? They even teased her being in the game in the Revelations 2 e-mail file to Barry FFS, and they've chosen to pull the rug from underneath us? Hell, they could've made her vulnerable and say she's still suffering from PTSD after her ordeal with Wesker. They could've even pulled a page out of Batman: Arkham Knight's playbook and have her be taunted by illusions of Wesker at various points in the game, that would've been cool, but instead, they've chosen to ignore it yet again. This would've been the perfect time to bring her back, too, after his sister was just reborn through Natalia, but it looks like they're leaving her out of it as well, WTF?

I may give them the benefit of the doubt if they give us DLC side stories with some of the old cast like the RE5 Lost in Nightmares DLC (Jill MUST be in it after all her time out of the spotlight after everything she's been through!), but other than that, I must say, I'm really feeling inclined to join the others in pulling out my pitch fork and boycott this game at this point. Seriously, that's like creating a new Hitman game without Agent 47 or new MGS without Snake in it.

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
Yeah, no kiding about Jill.

I really thought they gonna put her in the story, cuz she hasn't had any serious role since 2009 (Revelations 1 was set in 2005!) And mentioning her in a file in Revelations 2 is simply not fair!
Supernatural-Dean.gif

*Just shedding a few manly tears. Capcom is so mean to us Jill Valentine Fans*

And Capcom, once again, ignored Jill. I'm disappointed!

Fenris

Wolf :)
I don't want to be the kind of person who complains about every little aspect that Capcom changes on the RE franchise but seriously, no original characters? I'm fine with every aspect on the list, except that! By now the franchise revolves around Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire and the others. I just can't see any of them make no appearence at all. Did they actually say no known characters will appear? Last time I checked they said that no "combat trained" characters will appear, which still gives me hope that we might see Claire in it. After all she seems to be more of a (badass) civilian

black 93

Yeah, no kiding about Jill.

I really thought they gonna put her in the story, cuz she hasn't had any serious role since 2009 (Revelations 1 was set in 2005!) And mentioning her in a file in Revelations 2 is simply not fair!
Supernatural-Dean.gif

*Just shedding a few manly tears. Capcom is so mean to us Jill Valentine Fans*

And Capcom, once again, ignored Jill. I'm disappointed!
Im honestly shocked she's not in this game. After that file in Revelations 2 i was almost certain that she'd appear. i don't know Capcom's problem with Jill is, but this decision has pi**ed off tons of people. Not only Jill, but they've canned all the characters for this game!. Now im the first to admit that this fanbase is notorious for being petty whiners, but on this occasion i gotta agree with them. Will i still play the game? Sure, il get it on release day like i have every other RE, but this has definitley dampened my excitement a little.

Top Bottom