• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Fixed Camera Angles Yea or Nay

yea or nay for fixed camera and tank controls

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Whoever gets the helm to our beloved series I was just curious who likes the original game mechanics. I for one love every aspect of the setup in the first three games. Even the horrible tank controls...it gave a definite learning curve. I think the tank can be still implemented with slight modification to aiming and melee/dodge with fixed camera angles to instill the uncertainty of the next beat of the game. With poly graphics you can see everything and get a general idea of your next move and what to do, with fixed cameras I like the idea that there is someone creepily looking at our every move and not knowing what is next is part of the thrill. Especially if you hear something in the same room.

I think it might be interesting if it is set in present day or the future having the cameras be our guide with no hud (or if you choose having the camera determine our specs like the advanced ones in the movie) just like the old days bring up the menu for how much ammo you have and slots left.

Whats your oppinion

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Man, I didn't vote, because I could go either way. I really do love the Over the Shoulder look of RE4 and RE5, but the nostalgia AND the scare factor that comes/came along with the fixed camera angles were nothing short of perfection...I think it could DEFINITELY add to the scare factor, and is a GREAT idea for us old school RE fans...However, I think it may possibly be business suicide if they did it and it was NOT well received. That said, look at the game Slender. It's first person, and among the scariest games ever made...So I think it's still TOTALLY possible to be frightening without having fixed camera angles.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but in RE6, there were SEVERAL parts were your camera angles were fixed. I really liked that. The game didn't REVOLVE around it, but when it did happen, it really added something special. So maybe it's a case of "All things in moderation."

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Man, I didn't vote, because I could go either way. I really do love the Over the Shoulder look of RE4 and RE5, but the nostalgia AND the scare factor that comes/came along with the fixed camera angles were nothing short of perfection...I think it could DEFINITELY add to the scare factor, and is a GREAT idea for us old school RE fans...However, I think it may possibly be business suicide if they did it and it was NOT well received. That said, look at the game Slender. It's first person, and among the scariest games ever made...So I think it's still TOTALLY possible to be frightening without having fixed camera angles.

I don't know if you noticed or not, but in RE6, there were SEVERAL parts were your camera angles were fixed. I really liked that. The game didn't REVOLVE around it, but when it did happen, it really added something special. So maybe it's a case of "All things in moderation."
I could see going both ways and I wouldn't be too opposed to that. I would however prefer more fixed camera versus the other only because I feel more in the resident evil bubble that way considering I played the first three first. A lot.

Also considering Capcom is already suicidal financially and resident evil having such a broad following. I think mixing the two or have the option to go between first person and fixed would be monetarily sound.

I would like the option to be able to switch mid game now that you mention it. Following that method though I would hope that they would build game around fixed angles so that the fluidity of first person could follow. The reason being is if you have to choose fixed or fps at the beginning the game mechanics are set in place and makes it easier for the devs to manage. If you are able to switch mid game though, I would prefer tank for fixed and regular fps mechanics for the other.

Having the option I think is crucial. That would be innovative I think giving each player the option to play the game visually however they would want. Building from a fixed perspective still allows the fps to be playable just by a button trigger.

Also having no hud is another thing that needs to be implemented its nice to know how many bullets you have on screen but its equally enjoyable not knowing giving the player the entire screen to be immersed into. Again options are the key here.

Popo

Lol I don't mean for you to add it in the poll, I mean why doesn't Capcom or whoever makes the game if Capcom is bought add the option to choose between fixed camera angles and over-the-shoulder?
Can't be too hard now can't it?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Being able to switch between them isn't a bad idea actually...However the game would have to be made based on Fixed Angles. Think of thise option for RE4 - RE6. It really wouldn't work out because a LOT of points in that game are very open and easy to maneuver around. So fixed camera angles would be kind of a joke. But if they build the game around it being fixed, then give you the option to go over the shoulder, that seems like a plausible idea. Also, even though I previously said RE4 wouldn't work fixed, the more I think about it, the more I think it COULD. RE5 and RE6 are really the only ones that I don't think could...

Popo

Yea I agree, the game would have to be built for fixed camera angles, but just the option of going over the shoulder would be cool for those who might not enjoy fixed camera angles, and vice versa.

Denzil22

Premium
Could they not just do both and let the player pick like what they did in lost in nightmares ?

Leons-sexy-hair

I need brain - two chains the zombie
Yes I agree with the OP, the fixed camera angles are very creepy because it gives you the ability to look for yourself. It's like the comparison between theatre and film because nothing is disclosed or up front. In a theatrical setting, you are free to look around subjectively verses one pov . I think it gives off a Stanley Kubrick affect. Look at the camera angles in The Shining. Very similar, I love it.

leon_hellppp

In my opinion, they should stick with the third-person/over-the-shoulder perspective, and they should also include a "classic mode" with fixed camera angles that unlocks after game completion. Old school fans are happy because they were always going to complete the game several times anyway, and there's a massive reward in doing so. Newer fans are happy because they're not forced to sit through 90s gameplay. I think this is the best way for Capcom to please both old and new fans, while also increasing the replay value of the game.

black 93

Honestly dosent bother me, iv never had any problems controlling a resident evil game. Fixed camera or over the shoulder, tank controls or not, really dont care. Whatever capcom go with will suitcme fine, I just want a new godamn game because my interest is starting to waver.

During the years i've recently accepted the new Resident Evil camera angle. It's not that bad. But I would always like them to return with the fixed camera. Not every game has to feel like Gears of War. Let Resident Evil be it's own thing and maybe make a new franchise capcom?

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Very low chance that fixed camera angles will return and if it does then RE 7 will probably have similar gameplay to Until Dawn minus the choices prompt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom