• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Comparing RE:R and RE6's Little Things

Wvlfy

After playing through RE: Revelations on the PC and RE6, I would play more of RE:R even if it does nothing to advance the Umbrella storylinebut I bought both games. But if you've played RE6 and still haven't done Revelations yet, read my comparison OR BUY REVELATIONS NAO! RIGHT NAO!

But I played RE6 before that and even though RE:R was released before 6 and is nothing more than a port, there are parts of it that it got right from a gameplay standpoint and I'm surprised that Capcom flopped on the simple things that made Revelations a better game.

Controls
RE6 and RE:R both have good shooting controls, but RE6 fails miserably in its camera and movement. RE:R's camera moves both your camera and character towards one direction, guaranteeing precision movement when you need it. Because RE6 introduced melee combat that lets you throw punches and kicks in any direction (which is pretty awesome), it also forced the developers to prevent awkward and jarring "snap" animations where the character would change direction based on the camera's position without any frames inbetween. This leads to some very imprecise movements where your character has to walk/run/crawl in an arc instead of turning in place, sometimes getting them stuck on walls or objects and being unable to slide around them.

Camera
I could look around freely in RE: Revelations from my over-the-shoulder perspective.

I could look around freely in RE6 from my over-the-shoulder perspective UNTIL THE GAME THOUGHT THAT SOMETHING WAS SO IMPORTANT THAT IT LOCKED MY VIEW OR CHANGED ANGLES FROM MY OVER-THE-SHOULDER PERSPECTIVE. For a game released on the PC with keyboard bindings, there were too many points where the forced camera angles made for awkward, zig-zagging movements just so I could see whatever hellish creature was right behind me. "I have to escape, I get it. Now **** off while I run for my life, fixed camera."

Progression
I enjoyed being able to upgrade my guns like in RE2 and 3 (and the ammo), and I enjoyed being able to upgrade specific stats on my guns like RE4 and 5. RE:R did the job well enough by letting me pick and change the modifiers on my guns even if there was no cosmetic difference. There was no merchant, but picking up a part still made me feel like I would have an edge in killing BOWs, mostly because ammo was harder to find. And I like knowing my weapon's stats.

RE6... just has skill points. Kill a monster, get skill points or ammo, spend skill points between chapters for skills that are universal and can be bound to 8 loadouts that can be selected on-the-fly. Statistically, I knew there was going to be some difference, but ammo was so plentiful in some parts that it didn't feel like it made much of a difference at all. There was no cosmetic difference, just the knowledge that now, your firearms are doing "more damage". I understand that Capcom didn't want loadouts and weapon ugprades to be a hassle because we would change characters, but I like upgrading specific weapons to suit my playstyle. Dividing the weapons into general categories with upgradable stats would have been better than just providing a general bonus.

Inventory Management
RE:R trumps RE6, hands-down. I might have been able to carry only 3 weapons at a time in RE:R, but my inventory's limits for ammunition, herbs, weapons, and grenades were separate. I miss some of the management from RE4 and back, but Revelations provided a good system that let me use guns, grenades, and (g)herbs with minimal downtime without needing to think about the specifics.

RE6 is ****ING GODAWFUL at inventory management. You won't notice the problems early on, but as you pick up more guns, more ammo, more grenades, more herbs, you will run out of space very quickly. The guns don't take up those precious slots, thankfully enough, but there is no way to store anything you pick up. The game could drop the ammunition you don't want, but will need because your favorite weapon is low on ammo. With 5 weapons of varying effectiveness, that's 5-6 slots of inventory space taken by ammunition out of the 9 you're given. Herbs still need to be combined before they turn into pills, but the system of RE3 that let you combine herbs that you find on the ground with those in your inventory is nonexistent. Prepare to discard something you like.

Melee
RE:Revelations is simple at melee. If you're not aiming down the sight and left-click, your character attacks in one direction. It's simple, powerful, and not clunky.

RE6 gave us multi-directional combat and instant-kill attacks which are pretty damn effective and satisfying at some points. I'm on my second playthrough with a friend (Youtube link later. :p) and as I watched Leon punch, kick, chop, and bottle shiv zombies left and right, I couldn't help but feel giddy about how brutal these attacks appeared. But needing to scroll through my inventory to switch to that damn knife is dumb. My ass is getting chomped by zombies, I'm out of ammo, and I STILL HAVE TO SCROLL TO FIND MY KNIFE WHILE I DIE MISERABLY!

Atmosphere (Not actually a little detail)
When I played Leon's campaign, I felt like I might be in Raccoon City all over again. It started off slow and the tension grew as I found survivors, then all hell broke loose as soon as the elevator doors opened and I had to kung-fu my way out of the zombie pile only to find that the entire city was ravaged by the undead horde. Like Leon said, "It's Raccoon City all over again." After escaping the city, there were even more eerie locales until we landed in China. And that's where the game started to push for action. I'll give Capcom good credit for the J'avo, who mutate into different forms based on certain damage and randomness, but that's it. Chris' and Jake's campaigns can go suck a rotten egg for not offering me the same level of horror and tension that used to be common for the RE series.

After the RE6 fiasco, Capcom was smart to release a RE:R port for the PC to cater to a niche instead of everyone. Despite lacking the innovation of RE6's monsters, my time aboard the Queen Zenobia was very tense. Low on ammo (and missing a shotgun), every shot had to count, every enemy had to be kept as far away as I could so that I wouldn't waste herbs, every corner had to be checked for loot or death. That tension bombed when I had to switch to anyone that wasn't Jill or Chris, but the game was still trying to evoke desperation (unless you're playing as Keith, then you'll spend more time laughing).

Skill Requirements and Death
In RE:Revelations, you can die often if you don't play smartly. If you're down to your knife, pray that you can dodge, which is nothing more than pressing one button at the right time. It's forgiving enough that if you see the dodge animation, you'll be just fine. There are still a few instant-death attacks from certain enemies, but these come from standing too close at the wrong time and even those can be dodged.

RE6 is a cheap little ****. If they don't have guns, they're likely to catch you in some grab animation that has no wind-up, especially if you're trying to finish them off like the fallen zombies in Leon's campaign. To make it worse, RE6 relies on a lot of instant-death QTEs. If you're not playing co-op, you might have a bad time since your AI partner will be an idiot that just likes to stare while you get pushed head-first into a meat grinder.

TL;DR: Why did I buy this game? I wanted to play through the story, but I would prefer to do it with a friend. RE6 was a fiasco that tried to pander to everyone, but in the end, it was a mess of bad designs and gameplay that were not from the Resident Evil that we all know and love.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
You make quite a few valid points. RE6 is full of "little things" that cause big problems, for example the inventory management, especially when it comes to switching weapons. I'm surrounded by enemies, the assault rifle is empty and there's no time to reload, what shall I do? Oh yes, let's switch to the shotgun - oops, wait, I picked that stupid sniper instead, where the hell is the shotgun? At the other end of the inventory of course, and - SH!T, I'm dead before I get there... Thanks game, I should have reloaded my f***ing assault rifle. :goaway: (True story.) It doesn't help that the inventory looks different for every character and the game doesn't pause to let you change game settings in peace.
Another funny story: On my first playthrough, I spent the last quarter of Leon's first chapter at the brink of death, not because I didn't have a first aid spray to help the situation, but because I didn't know how to use it. For some reason, choosing it in the inventory only gave me the option of discarding it. I only found out later that this is not how you use first aid sprays, but the game's way of introducing new players to its controls and features leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, I really didn't have ammo problems in Revelations other than on Infernal (not that I would have wished for them anyway), whereas in RE6 (especially Chris's campaign) I'm constantly out of it, also partly due to the inferiority of the inventory system. I also don't agree with the controls being better in Revelations; even though RE6's camera screws are in fact a sin worthy of Naströnd, at least it lets me cancel the lengthy gun-reloading animation if something more important comes up. When I get stuck or need to position my character precisely in front of a certain object, I just switch to the aiming view to solve the problem, that usually works fine.

Another thing I prefer about RE6 is the characters, who were one of the reasons I was so much looking forward to it. The game has one of the finest sets of playable mains, which makes every campaign intriguing in its very own way. Revelations gives us Jill who is, believe it or not, even duller than usual, and the best part about Chris in this game is probably his sailor costume. The only new character I liked was Rachel of all people, even though (or just because?) we don't see much of her. The story didn't make sense to me, mostly because I never understood the reasons or the goals of the primary villain (Morgan).
Not that RE6 fares any better in that regard, though, with Chris's campaign being the worst offender. Even people who don't like the gameplay of this campaign usually praise its character development and ending, but I disagree. If I had handed my story-telling professor at the university a script like that, he would have pummelled me with it. And the villains are lacking too; Simmons is a boring character with unrealistic motives and Carla's desire for revenge is painfully exagerrated. (Destroying the whole world because one man deceived you? Seriously... :oops: ) So although I think RE6 starts out with better characters, it doesn't really use them to their full extent, and story-wise, I can't say which of the games is better.

All in all, I think RE6 is by far the better game. I like Revelations too, but honestly, has anyone played through the campaign more than once on every difficulty level? If it wasn't for Rape Mode (which I like better than Mercenaries), this game would have been catching metaphorical dust in my Steam library since early June. RE6 is certainly not flawless, but much more fun and offers more replay value and diversity than Revelations... to me at least. *goes back to participating in the current online event*

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
i cant believe you think the aiming and shooting is better in revelations , OP. the game was almost a direct port from 3ds and after playing only the demo i was astounding they made no effort to convert the circle pad movements to analog. Its basically digital aiming with no curve, moving or not moving, its not really proper analog and the circle pad on my 3ds seemed to aim better than the shoddy aiming on the xbox 360 demo of revelations.
Not only that but they disabled the option to use a laser which is much more accurate and better suited to third person view because you can see the trajectory comes from the gun and not centre-screen like a crosshair designed for first person view.

weskerondope

lets face it guys, resident evil is gone, its been 8 years now since the last great resident evil game
whatever is left of it is something else, i still think the new games are kinda fun though
i had fun with both revelations and 6
but im allready tired of both games (aswell as resident evil 5 of course)
the older games can never get boring however

Haseeb_B.S.A.A

I have played Resident evil 6 and it became my favourite game on Xbox 360 , definately Resident evil 6 is better than RE4 and RE5 in my opinion and Resident evil revelation is no mathc of them, I only like Resident evil Revelations because of chris redfield as he is my favourite character of all time! Reisdent evil 6 is a way much more better than Revelatons and the story line is 100% new!

Haseeb_B.S.A.A

I have played Resident evil 6 and it became my favourite game on Xbox 360 , definately Resident evil 6 is better than RE4 and RE5 in my opinion and Resident evil revelation is no mathc of them, I only like Resident evil Revelations because of chris redfield as he is my favourite character of all time! Reisdent evil 6 is a way much more better than Revelatons and the story line is 100% new!

weskerondope

i agree with everything except for the resident evil 4 thing i guess
resident evil 6 is the game i liked best from the ones made after resi 4
so in a way its going in a good direction i guess

Wvlfy

i cant believe you think the aiming and shooting is better in revelations , OP. the game was almost a direct port from 3ds and after playing only the demo i was astounding they made no effort to convert the circle pad movements to analog. Its basically digital aiming with no curve, moving or not moving, its not really proper analog and the circle pad on my 3ds seemed to aim better than the shoddy aiming on the xbox 360 demo of revelations.
Not only that but they disabled the option to use a laser which is much more accurate and better suited to third person view because you can see the trajectory comes from the gun and not centre-screen like a crosshair designed for first person view.

I played it on the PC, not the 360. Mouse and keyboard for the win. . I forgot that there was no laser sight in Revelations, but there weren't too many times where a laser sight would have made a difference. A lot of the game's encounters force you into some very tight areas and critical points can fill up your crosshairs.

All in all, I think RE6 is by far the better game. I like Revelations too, but honestly, has anyone played through the campaign more than once on every difficulty level? If it wasn't for Rape Mode (which I like better than Mercenaries), this game would have been catching metaphorical dust in my Steam library since early June. RE6 is certainly not flawless, but much more fun and offers more replay value and diversity than Revelations... to me at least. *goes back to participating in the current online event*

Played through single-player and co-op. Co-op gave it the replay value I wanted, but I would never want to suffer through the solo campaign ever again.

Top Bottom