• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Best Underrated Games

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
So we all talk about games we love. Games we hate. Games we are excited for. But what games do you guys love that were very underrated? Maybe they didn't sell well. Maybe the story was great but the gameplay sucked, turning most people away from it. Maybe the Gameplay was great but the story sucked turning people away from it. At the end of the day, what games do you feel were great, but were terribly underrated, and why?

Personally, I fell Spider-Man 2 (The game of the Sam Raimi movie Toby Maguire) was very underrated. It's almost ALWAYS a general rule that games based on movies suck. Eragon, Harry Potter, Cat Woman are ALL perfect examples of that. But I think Spider-Man 2 got it totally right. It was open world, allowing you to explore ALL of New York. It almost had a Role PLaying Game feel because you could choose several side missions, level up, run into enemies at random. It did a great job of REALLY expanding the movie universe of Spider-Man. The music was by Danny Elfman, just like in the movies, and you have the voice acting talent of the actors that played the characters from the movies. Did I mention it was OPEN WORLD New York City? What is cooler than scaling the walls of an ACTUAL scaled version of the Empire State Building?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The first example that comes to my mind is Urban Chaos. And no, I'm not talking about Urban Chaos: Riot Response, as people usually assume when I say the name of the game, and that just shows how unknown it is. I'm talking about the original Urban Chaos, an action-adventure released by Eidos and Mucky Foot in 1999. It stars a policewoman who must rid her city of the Wildcats, a malevolent gang secretly working for a dubious politician who tries to bring about the end of the world as predicted by Nostradamus. Or something like that; it's been a long time since I last played this game actually paying attention to the story.

What really makes this game so special is the gameplay. Since this was Mucky Foot's very first game (and quite possibly the last, since I've never heard of them anymore since then), it sure has a couple of bugs and technical issues, but none that are game-breaking, and it's just so much fun running through the streets of the city as this quick-witted cop, beating up gangsters, saving innocents like a reporter who constantly gets into trouble, preventing suicides and talking to pedestrians to obtain information, all while trying to figure out what is actually going on. The game features an elaborate combat system, exploration and platforming in a non-linear environment; there are certain tasks that must be fulfilled to finish the mission, but nothing stops you from looking around first and exploring every single dark corner of the city, solving side quests for additional fun and rewards. Sometimes there is more than one way to finish a mission.

One thing that is not really satisfying about this game is the ending. The last few missions do a fine job delivering an apocalyptic atmosphere, but then it kind of just "ends" and you don't really know what happened after all (or perhaps I'm just too stupid to get it). We might never know since no sequel was ever made, the game was just forgotten, which is a pity.

Evil Yuna

"I will live without...false hope."
I think the Final Fantasy XIII saga was really underrated.
Many claim that the story from the first one was already confusing to begin with and that didn´t need sequels.
Though the gameplay from XIII had some things that needed improvement,i found the story quite interesting. And the gameplay got better on the following games.So i don´t really get it why people keep hating on it...
Oh wait i do know... It´s those die hard fans from all FF games from the old squaresoft...
Keep saying the games now are so different and badmouth them without even trying to understant it a little ( just like the new RE games ).If they can´t adapt to the new stuff,why do they try to convince and irritate who does and acctually like these new games? Get a life people... Or try some other games.Geez.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Personally, I fell Spider-Man 2 (The game of the Sam Raimi movie Toby Maguire) was very underrated. It's almost ALWAYS a general rule that games based on movies suck. Eragon, Harry Potter, Cat Woman are ALL perfect examples of that. But I think Spider-Man 2 got it totally right. It was open world, allowing you to explore ALL of New York. It almost had a Role PLaying Game feel because you could choose several side missions, level up, run into enemies at random. It did a great job of REALLY expanding the movie universe of Spider-Man. The music was by Danny Elfman, just like in the movies, and you have the voice acting talent of the actors that played the characters from the movies. Did I mention it was OPEN WORLD New York City? What is cooler than scaling the walls of an ACTUAL scaled version of the Empire State Building?

I don't see how Spider-Man 2 is underrated. It's quite the opposite. I hate constantly seeing it held with such high regards just because it was the first Spider-Man game to be open world. It's been done to death many times after and often times better.

Speaking of Spider-Man, I'd say Web of Shadows was completely underrated. I honestly don't get how it could have gotten the reviews it has considering how fantastic the gameplay is. Seriously, I'd say it's the best Spider-Man game based purely on how much of a blast it was swinging, running on buildings, seamlessly switching between regular and symbiote combat, and keeping up high combos. It's as epic as any Spider-Man game could have gotten and for some reason, it was treated like trash. I would truly love to see that style of gameplay return rather than have Beenox continue to give Spider-Man the Call of Duty treatment.

Another game I feel didn't get the credit it deserved is X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's a real shame that there hasn't been another Wolverine game since its release considering how well they managed to nail it with Origins. I wouldn't mind if Activision stopped churning out Spider-Man games if it meant we could get a non-movie licensed Wolverine game utilizing the same engine because they certainly didn't pull any punches when bringing Wolverine back to the video game scene. I could honestly say it was one of the best hack and slash games of the last generation and even one of the best movie tie in games ever.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The first example that comes to my mind is Urban Chaos. And no, I'm not talking about Urban Chaos: Riot Response, as people usually assume when I say the name of the game, and that just shows how unknown it is. I'm talking about the original Urban Chaos, an action-adventure released by Eidos and Mucky Foot in 1999. It stars a policewoman who must rid her city of the Wildcats, a malevolent gang secretly working for a dubious politician who tries to bring about the end of the world as predicted by Nostradamus. Or something like that; it's been a long time since I last played this game actually paying attention to the story.

What really makes this game so special is the gameplay. Since this was Mucky Foot's very first game (and quite possibly the last, since I've never heard of them anymore since then), it sure has a couple of bugs and technical issues, but none that are game-breaking, and it's just so much fun running through the streets of the city as this quick-witted cop, beating up gangsters, saving innocents like a reporter who constantly gets into trouble, preventing suicides and talking to pedestrians to obtain information, all while trying to figure out what is actually going on. The game features an elaborate combat system, exploration and platforming in a non-linear environment; there are certain tasks that must be fulfilled to finish the mission, but nothing stops you from looking around first and exploring every single dark corner of the city, solving side quests for additional fun and rewards. Sometimes there is more than one way to finish a mission.

One thing that is not really satisfying about this game is the ending. The last few missions do a fine job delivering an apocalyptic atmosphere, but then it kind of just "ends" and you don't really know what happened after all (or perhaps I'm just too stupid to get it). We might never know since no sequel was ever made, the game was just forgotten, which is a pity.
What system did this come out on, because it sounds REALLY interesting.
I think the Final Fantasy XIII saga was really underrated.
Many claim that the story from the first one was already confusing to begin with and that didn´t need sequels.
Though the gameplay from XIII had some things that needed improvement,i found the story quite interesting. And the gameplay got better on the following games.So i don´t really get it why people keep hating on it...
Oh wait i do know... It´s those die hard fans from all FF games from the old squaresoft...
Keep saying the games now are so different and badmouth them without even trying to understant it a little ( just like the new RE games ).If they can´t adapt to the new stuff,why do they try to convince and irritate who does and acctually like these new games? Get a life people... Or try some other games.Geez.
In all honesty, what turned me off to XIII was the characters. I just couldn't get behind them. The story was good. The gameplay was pretty smooth. But Lightening and Snow just bored me...But then again, Cloud bores the hell out of me too. Zidane is the coolest FF character in my book haha.
I don't see how Spider-Man 2 is underrated. It's quite the opposite. I hate constantly seeing it held with such high regards just because it was the first Spider-Man game to be open world. It's been done to death many times after and often times better.

Speaking of Spider-Man, I'd say Web of Shadows was completely underrated. I honestly don't get how it could have gotten the reviews it has considering how fantastic the gameplay is. Seriously, I'd say it's the best Spider-Man game based purely on how much of a blast it was swinging, running on buildings, seamlessly switching between regular and symbiote combat, and keeping up high combos. It's as epic as any Spider-Man game could have gotten and for some reason, it was treated like trash. I would truly love to see that style of gameplay return rather than have Beenox continue to give Spider-Man the Call of Duty treatment.

Another game I feel didn't get the credit it deserved is X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's a real shame that there hasn't been another Wolverine game since its release considering how well they managed to nail it with Origins. I wouldn't mind if Activision stopped churning out Spider-Man games if it meant we could get a non-movie licensed Wolverine game utilizing the same engine because they certainly didn't pull any punches when bringing Wolverine back to the video game scene. I could honestly say it was one of the best hack and slash games of the last generation and even one of the best movie tie in games ever.

See, you're the first person I've ever heard NOT trash it. Most people I've talked to think it's awful, or simply never even PLAYED it because it was a game based on a movie. Web of Shadows was pretty good, but I have to say the best Spider-Man game was simply "Spider-Man" for the PSone, Dreamcast, and N64.

Also, Activision making a Non Movies Hack and Slash Wolverine game could be beautiful...

Popo

See, you're the first person I've ever heard NOT trash it. Most people I've talked to think it's awful, or simply never even PLAYED it because it was a game based on a movie. Web of Shadows was pretty good, but I have to say the best Spider-Man game was simply "Spider-Man" for the PSone, Dreamcast, and N64.

Actually I like Spiderman 2: Enter Electro better than the first one. I played an Open world Spiderman called Ultimate Spiderman for PS2 I believe and I liked it a lot too!(Though I just checked it was released a year after Spiderman 2 that you guys were talking about).

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
PC originally, but it was later ported to PlayStation 1 and Dreamcast. Shouldn't be expensive anymore nowadays, perhaps you can even download it for free somewhere.
Dreamcast it is then!
Actually I like Spiderman 2: Enter Electro better than the first one. I played an Open world Spiderman called Ultimate Spiderman for PS2 I believe and I liked it a lot too!(Though I just checked it was released a year after Spiderman 2 that you guys were talking about).
Enter Electro is really good. There actually are aspects of that one I like better, but I like the first one's use of more than just Spider-Man characters. Daredevil. Human Torch. Captain America. They all make appereances in the first one and that's freakin' cool. Also, Ultimate Spider-Man that you are thinking of is badass.

Turo602

The King of Kings

But I am trashing it... I think it's very overrated. Everytime I see a list of top Spider-Man games or movie licensed games, Spider-Man 2 shows up. Sure, it introduced an awesome concept, but it's been done much better already. It's not like the movie aspect of the game was any good, it was just a step in the right direction. And I love that Spider-Man game! I would say it was the best too, but that would just be me being biased and nostalgic. I hate to say this, but the game does feel dated by today's standards. But looking back at it, it was a really good 3D game for its time. Such great memories with that game...

Anyway, another game I feel is underrated is Army of Two: The 40th Day. The series as a whole is quite underrated, and though I haven't played the third one yet, part 2 gave me quite the impression. If you're ever looking for a fun co-op shooter, I would seriously check this game out. The story isn't impressive, but it does its job. There's a morality feature that changes the story up, but the real fun of the game is its co-op centric gameplay, set-pieces, and unique features. Oh, and it's really ****in' epic! There's this level that really stood out to me where Salem and Rios are on two separate buildings that are collapsing and one is making his way to the other building through the rubble, while the other is aiding him from afar. Easily one of my favorite levels from any game period. That's what I really like about this series, it doesn't take itself too seriously and the characters actually stand out rather than just being faceless nobodies like most generic shooters. Though I can't really say the same for part 3...

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
The Suffering. I don't think it's necessarily underrated, just unheard of.
Also, Binary Domain for the same reason.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
- SiN Emergence
All we have is the one episode because the episode didn't sell enough and Ritual ended up being bought by a casual publisher.

- Heavy Metal Fakk 2
The game didn't sell well because it was the official game of the Heavy Metal 2000 movie which wasn't very well received(I liked it a lot though), but this game was loads of fun and was also made by Ritual.

- Predator Concrete Jungle
The game received a lot of negative reviews and I really don't get it, this is the best Predator game I've ever played, the story is surprisingly good, the stealth gameplay is fun and the fan service is awesome.
Any Predator fan should play this.

- Brutal Legend
Now this was something of a masterpiece, sadly Mr Schafer just can't catch a break sales wise.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
A I would say my favorite underrated game is Deadly Premonition. With the exception of one very special person, every single one of my friends either don't know this game's existence or they didn't give the game a chance, and I barely see anyone talk about this game. I have seen titles after titles after titles given to this one game by few websites like Best Worst Game, Most Polarizing Game, Most Suprisingly Good Game, and many more. I can see how a lot people don't like this game, graphically the game looks terrible for a 2010 game, the gameplay is really arcady, the voice acting is iffy, the controls are bad (For the Xbox 360 version from what I've been hearing. I really don't know how bad the controls were for the X360 because I own the PS3 version which from all reports had better controls, but I honestly can't say.), the audio gets repetitive (Especially for vehicles where the motor sound repeats after you reach a certain limit), some mechanics were infuriating, it was a very easy game, and a lot more.

However what me, and a lot of other people who have played it, liked about it was it's charm. I absolutely loved the story, it had me guessing on who the main villain was the entire time and I like that it was very heavily inspired by Twin Peaks. I love the characters, each one have a special place in my heart (In terms of gaming) due to how quirky some of them were, especially with the main character Francis Morgan. The game, while very arcady, had it's own charm to it that I love like some of the sounds that happen when you run over objects or pick items up, reminds me a lot like a PS2 or PS1 survival horror game. I love that the game was a survival horror comedy, I have not seen a lot of survival horror comedy games in my life (Not like a lot of other survival horror games, like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, where it is serious or tries to be serious from start to finish and is only funny through stuff that was unintentionally funny, easter eggs, or unlockables. Deadly Premonition did it's comedy without any of that and I like that.). I love the soundtrack, one song in particular that I love from the game's soundtrack is Life Is Beautiful, that song plays so many times during the course of the game, first few times I found it charming, next few times it start to run thin on my nerves, and before I know it I'm humming and whistling the song non-stop and ended up loving it. The other was some of it's mechanics, I hated the driving the most because it always took so long and you had to buy gas (And I think there was only 1 gas station in the entire game), like going into a first person view and manually turn the windshield whippers on and it actually affecting the windshield and the lights going on and off, the game gave you money for doing mundane tasks like shaving (Someone right now, name me another game where it awarded you for shaving.) and having your clothes cleaned or you can even get awarded the good old fashion way by being a total creeper and looking through windows to see what people are doing, and it added in a few mechanics like hunger and sleep which makes you more hungry the more you're tired (However they both deplete slowly and food is plentiful in the game.) but those I have seen before at that time although I don't remember sleep coming to any effect in many games during that time. I'm also an addict for open world games and games that have side activities, and this game's map is huge (Probably not as huge as GTA San Andreas and definitely not even as big as the map in Just Cause 2, but still huge) so that means a lot of collectible hunting and some side quests. Perhaps the biggest thing that I about the game is it's overall charm. I have not seen any game, that directly talks about real life T.V. shows, movies, celebrities, and music bands like Deadly Premonition does like Tom and Jerry, Back To The Future II, Steven Spielberg, A Clockwork Orange, The Damned, Star Wars, Stanley Kubrick, and even Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, and this is another reason why I didn't mind the driving sections, because the main character would always talk about stuff like this when you're driving and which made me like driving just so I can hear the next T.V. show, movie, band, or whatever that the main character was going to talk about and express his opinion on. Then as I mentioned earlier, the game plays like an old survival horror game, the characters are quirky in their own rights, and plus it's a survival horror comedy (How many of those do you see nowadays) and I like it's humor.

I think Deadly Premonition is one of those games that did not, and still doesn't, get a lot of attention when it needs to because in my opinion Deadly Premonition is a game that shows that you don't need to be up to standards of today's games in terms of graphics, audio, and complexity to be a good game. That can be said for a lot of games, especially indie games, but I think that it's Deadly Premonition that holds the torch.

Last edited:

the venomous grand design

REmake enthusiast
Mass Effect 3 and the Dead Space series for me.
this has to be a ****ty troll?? ME3 received most of the GOTY awards in 2012, and i've never seen any reputable source score a dead space game lower than 8/10. and it's pretty hard to get anyone to shut up about either series.

as far as games that are actually underrated..

condemned: criminal origins.
i thought this was definitely the strongest release title for 360 (honorable mentions to ridge racer 6), and i get the impression people who played it enjoyed it, but it really flew under the radar for the most part. pretty strong survival horror, w/ some supernatural and psychological elements. i have definitely played through this game more times than anything that isn't RE. note; do yourself a favor and don't bother with the sequel. it is the RE6 to the original's RE3, if you catch my drift.

cel damage
this game just recently got some love with a PS exclusive (shakes fist) HD update in april. my brother and i logged SERIOUS hours into this game as kids. YOU CAN LAY BLACK HOLES AS TRAPS, GUYS. C'MON.

clock tower
Clock-Tower.jpg

imagine RE3, but your only adversary is nemesis. and you spend most of the game simply running from him with no option to attack. you RE4-6 fans think tank controls are cumbersome? try running from scissorman (yes that's actually what they call him) with the ol' point and click.
PS: the third installment in the series was picked up by capcom so you know it's good stuff.

persona 4: arena (P4A)
this is more of a fighting game community underrating than that of the general gaming community. this game was well received by critics and scored very well. but pretty much since EVO 2013 (the world's biggest fighting game tournament, as seen in the video above), trying to find people willing to play this game is like pulling teeth. even all the anime players are pretty much all reserved to blazblue, UNIEL, or waiting for the new guilty gear; none of which are bad, but this game was a real gem in my opinion. very easy to pick up and play, but still has a rewarding execution barrier when it comes to high level play, good soundtrack, looks gorgeous..i don't think airdashers get much better than this. now that i know bridget isn't in GG:XRD, and every UNIEL player in my local scene plays gordeau (*fart noise*) i'm reallllly holding out for P4U.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
this has to be a ****ty troll?? ME3 received most of the GOTY awards in 2012, and i've never seen any reputable source score a dead space game lower than 8/10. and it's pretty hard to get anyone to shut up about either series.
First off, I don't take professional criticism of any artistic medium seriously. What I look at, if anything, is the collective opinion of gamers. Among actual gamers, ME3 was almost universally trashed when it came out and has been since. All because the ending is pretty sh!t. However, many (not all) of those people failed to give the other parts of the game credit where it was due. Seeing as many failed to acknowledge anything but it's shortcomings, that qualifies it as underrated as far as I'm concerned.

As for Dead Space, I suppose I'll have to concede a bit, as I took my own experience of not really seeing much about it (positive or negative) as grounds to call it underrated.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
P.N.03 for the gamecube. Its one of Capcom Five. its a third person shooter game. i don't know what else to say about it beside its really a great game despite being short (sort of)

ToriJ

Resident Critic
I'm not good at determining anything as overrated or underrated, but a couple of games I NEVER see talk about anywhere are:

Evil Zone: A fighting game heavily inspired by anime, so much so that my brother and I originally thought it was based off an anime. It didn't have a big list of characters, but it didn't need that. It was able to tell a good story connecting everyone together through one way or another while still being a fun fighting game. It showed me that a fighting game CAN have a good story, so I can't accept anything less from the genre anymore.

BattleTanx: The first one shows its age, but the second one "Global Assault" was amazing and I spent hours on that thing just playing Tank Wars. It has a two player campaign too so you can play it with a friend. Up to four players overall. Maps range from the US to Europe.

I was going to add Command and Conquer and F.E.A.R. to this list, but I think both have pretty good established communities not to be considered underrated. I know Evil Zone at least has a cult following so I could be wrong there too. I just know that the two games listed above are never mentioned anywhere unless it's from me.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
would Deus ex be considered underrated? If so that game was amazing I didnt just hear much of it from ppl.
Assuming you're talking about the newest one that just came out 3 years ago or so, I wouldn't say it was "underrated" per se, mainly because when it first came out everyone was ALL over it. But the hype died down pretty quick, I'll give you that...

Top Bottom