• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Are las plagas the greatest threat in the RE universe?

Monster Mash

Unlike most of the creatures in the RE universe, las plagas are not cooked up in a lab, but rather, are ancient lifeforms that possibly go back hundreds of millions of years. They are far tougher than most baseline BOW's, and have the same intellectual capabilities as people. With their spores able to travel in microscopic dust, containing them fully could be next to impossible. If they were able to truly organize on a broad level and not just be the puppets of people with limited resources (Saddler) or who just see them as expendable grunts (Wesker), they could honestly form a combined military and biological threat to humanity. The hive nature of their society, with no conflicts among members, could help swell their ranks with people who want to escape their current lives and join a supposed utopian society. Whole plaga nations could be founded, which is something you won't see zombies and lickers doing. Any thoughts?

Monster Mash

I agree. One interesting scenario would be to have something like Saddler's plan come about where high-ranking Master Plaga infiltrate government positions, including some in the BSAA. Contact lenses could be used to disguise the red and yellow eyes, and blood tests could be swapped.

One interesting dynamic would be to have conflict among different plaga hives. I don't think this was part of the original species, but the breeds used in Kijuju are a completely new strain, and they might not be compatible with the older varieties. If things got too far out of control, events could lead to outright war.

Monster Mash

Something interesting to note about Plaga varieties is that they are equally comfort in water (del lago), land, and air. This hints at an incredibly ancient lineage. This means that they could possibly date back to the earliest periods of the Cambrian explosion, possibly even before, as their use of microscopic spores might reflect direct ancestry going back almost to the beginning of life ( with few to no breaks from extinction events). Las Plagas exhibit characteristics of arthropods, annelids, and onychophorae, indicating a very ancient lineage. The fossils seen in RE4 look somewhat developed but have archaic features as well.

Las Plagas fossils found below Salazar's estate:
latest

Burgess Shale fossils, well over five hundred million years old:
0728b8bc849ca52fb6562b0249bfb4e9.jpg

burgess-shale.jpg

They have a hierarchy, but as far as we know, each member reproduces on its own; in essence, they seem to have evolved the characteristics of multiple types of organisms over a long period of time, with individuality coupled with a hive mind. Their intelligence and flexibility suggests that they lived in an incredibly competitive environment, and that they might have lived in the area around modern-day Spain in an equilibrium with similar organisms semi-isolated from outside influences.

The region seen in RE4 looks pretty cold and miserable, and this change in temperature might have forced the ecosystem to shrink and close in on itself. It's possible that, under extreme pressure, the various species might have all melded into a super-species that was entirely self-sufficient and relied on cooperation not competition, hence the strong community bonds described by the leaders of Los Illuminados, as well as the fierce hostility to all outsiders. They had the ability absorb other creatures because they had to in order to survive. When humans encountered them, the earliest peoples shown in the rock carvings might have formed a symbiotic bond with the parasites and kept the organisms in check through sacrifice and ritual warfare. Past the early Middle Ages, however, these practices were probably banned, but :as Plagas were now used to interacting with humans and had to be shut away by force by local rulers. Once they were given access to modern weapons, however, the only advantage humans had over them was the partial lack of autonomy among the drones; overall, plaga are superior lifeforms to humans and are not unstable like the lab-created BOW's.

Monster Mash

Sorry for not getting back sooner; some stuff came up in my life. While something that extreme probably doesn't exist, we are tampering with nature in new, deleterious ways all the time; just look at the rapid spread of fire ants and killer bees. We could accidentally unleash something that was never meant to go beyond a certain range. For example, the Black Death lived in portions of Asia mostly in relatively isolated areas with only periodic (if devastating) outbreaks. The scourge of thee fourteenth century was spread by the depredations of the Mongols and their advance across Asia Minor.

One dynamic I think might be interesting is if an independent Plaga hive came into contact with surviving members of the Family; Natalex and whoever else remains. It would essentially be a meeting eugenic supermen of the modern era with the primordial rulers of Earth. Who knows what would happen? Maybe they would go to war, or maybe there would be some kind of agreement to divide the world into various imperial provinces, with J'avo and Majini armies stationed in themata (term used for medieval Byzantine/East Roman military districts), with various governors and despots (probably various forms of sentient BOW's) ruling in a strict but flexible hierarchy. Members of the Family would most likely have access to the most prestigious positions, but there would probably be room for advancement for loyal creatures and humans. On top of all of this, there could be a supreme ruler bonded to a Master Plaga and probably also host to some form of virus. This ruler would hold great authority, but would need to at least listen to and give some say to the aristocracy (we know the level of betrayal and backstabbing found among RE villains). Again, I think Natalex would make for a suitably commanding and villainous leader. Of course, this wouldn't last and would probably end with someone taking an RPG to the face, but it could be a fun potential story arc.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I think as a whole they could be a much worse threat than what the T-virus or G-Virus has posed. However with that being said I think it would need to take someone extremely smart to make them "more dangerous". I think Wesker was smart enough, but he was going about it in the wrong way if that makes sense.
On the same token someone could use it for good I feel like as well. Like I feel like military could use them for defending their country and whatnot.

Top Bottom