• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Anyone else feeling a bit negative concerning RE7?

SteelEagle

I think this way of doing it is the best way. It's a problem when a game gets announced too early, like Final Fantasy Versus XIII which ended up turning into FFXV and still isn't out. The problem with the series is that Capcom have actually listened to fans too much; not only is that giving too much voice to a small hardcore niche, it's not like fans all agree on everything anyway, so by doing what "the fans" want, "the fans" actually get ****ed off. Two (or more) parts of the same group. Developing it more privately like this is for the better, I believe. Capcom did it that way for RE1 and RE2, and they're masterpieces.

From 4 onwards, the series has tried to change based on fan feedback. REmake didn't sell all that well (to be fair, that was down to the Gamecube flopping, not REmake itself) so it was taken that fans really were sick of the old formula. Enter RE4: you were no longer scavenging ammo and trying to dodge zombies in an eerie mansion or police station, you were suplexing Spanish villagers, leaping head first out of 2nd storey windows through the god damn glass, dodging laser beams in one of many QTE sequences (people love those, right?), collecting Pesetas (several years after Spain had adopted the Euro) dropped by enemies to upgrade your sweet guns... And at the end you didn't sit exhausted in a helicopter as you escaped, possibly alone as the others were now dead, rather you rode off into the sunset on a jet-ski, the President of America's daughter making a move on you.

Given that many fans liked that, it seemed they wanted a more Hollywood action movie feel, so they made RE5. People moaned about that; "I liked it when Leon did pro-wrestling moves, I liked it when he backflipped over a laser beam, but this RE5 is just too action-y" they said. Capcom naturally weren't sure what to do. So then you get the schizophrenic RE6, trying to please everyone at once. And apparently it pleased no one (although it sold, what 5 million or more?)

Very well put.

I hope RE7 honestly feels like two games depending on one option. You can play over the shoulder with RE4 style controls, and selecting that changes enemies, their numbers, placement, some other things, etc. The other is classic style.

Won't happen, but I'd like.

And no, as for the topic., I'm not worried.

black 93

I think this way of doing it is the best way. It's a problem when a game gets announced too early, like Final Fantasy Versus XIII which ended up turning into FFXV and still isn't out. The problem with the series is that Capcom have actually listened to fans too much; not only is that giving too much voice to a small hardcore niche, it's not like fans all agree on everything anyway, so by doing what "the fans" want, "the fans" actually get ****ed off. Two (or more) parts of the same group. Developing it more privately like this is for the better, I believe. Capcom did it that way for RE1 and RE2, and they're masterpieces.

From 4 onwards, the series has tried to change based on fan feedback. REmake didn't sell all that well (to be fair, that was down to the Gamecube flopping, not REmake itself) so it was taken that fans really were sick of the old formula. Enter RE4: you were no longer scavenging ammo and trying to dodge zombies in an eerie mansion or police station, you were suplexing Spanish villagers, leaping head first out of 2nd storey windows through the god damn glass, dodging laser beams in one of many QTE sequences (people love those, right?), collecting Pesetas (several years after Spain had adopted the Euro) dropped by enemies to upgrade your sweet guns... And at the end you didn't sit exhausted in a helicopter as you escaped, possibly alone as the others were now dead, rather you rode off into the sunset on a jet-ski, the President of America's daughter making a move on you.

Given that many fans liked that, it seemed they wanted a more Hollywood action movie feel, so they made RE5. People moaned about that; "I liked it when Leon did pro-wrestling moves, I liked it when he backflipped over a laser beam, but this RE5 is just too action-y" they said. Capcom naturally weren't sure what to do. So then you get the schizophrenic RE6, trying to please everyone at once. And apparently it pleased no one (although it sold, what 5 million or more?)
Very well said, iv said before fans are just as much to blame as capcom, even though we do nothing but complain about the new games we've still made capcom tons of cash with them. Iv never understood that, RE5 and 6 are the ones everyone claims to hate, but they've sold really well, paticularly 5. Another thing that always baffles me is that everybody puts shinji mikami on a pedestal and treats him like a god. " We need mikami back he'd fix resi!" Hey, he makes great games, but he was the guy who said that series needed to become action orientated. Since he was stupid enough to base the future of the franchise on the sales of a game that only came out on one system that was doing poorly compared to its competition. I admit it could be a good thing that capcom are keeping it zipped with RE7, as frustrating as it is , capcom havent been this silent about an RE game in a long time. Which to me can only mean they are really trying to hit the mark on this one. Saying that though they MUST have something by now right? Maybe not an almost finished game but at least charcters and storywise.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'm not feeling negative about it. But I am feeling like it's a joke...I mean. Kind of like Kingdom Hearts III. At this point, it's been SO long, does anyone really care? They keep doing stuff that is annoying the core fanbase, but not angering them. It's just turning into a long running joke. But I will keep going because I have faith. Maybe misplaced faith, but faith none the less...

black 93

I'm not feeling negative about it. But I am feeling like it's a joke...I mean. Kind of like Kingdom Hearts III. At this point, it's been SO long, does anyone really care? They keep doing stuff that is annoying the core fanbase, but not angering them. It's just turning into a long running joke. But I will keep going because I have faith. Maybe misplaced faith, but faith none the less...
i know what you mean. It is hard to maintain interest sometimes when nothing seems to be happening.

Top Bottom